Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Enter the Fates

Nothing says inconspicuous like a hoody wearing assassin at a groundbreaking ceremony where everyone else is in a suit, dress or military uniform.

It was a lot less disgusting when they hid the gun in the bathroom in The Godfather.

• Love 3
(edited)

Err... I paid attention during all the stuff involving Jamal, Rashid, and the failed assassination attempt.  But the rest?  About put me to freaking sleep.  Barry wandering around the desert, all sun-burnt and praising Allah?  And, of course, just happens to get "saved" at the last minute, by a bunch of guys who want to turn him back in to the authorities (sounds like they don't know he's actually Barry, but just an escaped prisoner.)  

Then, you've got Molly and the kids being their normal boring selves.  I have no investment in those three at all.  And now Jake Weber's shown up as some lawyer, who wants to help.  I wonder if it will stay that way, because I kind of felt like I was suppose to see a spark between him and Molly, which is hilarious.  I mean, how long has it been since Barry's "death"?  If Molly is already moving forward, then she must not have really loved him that much.  Then again, none of that family really seems to be mourning him.  Honestly, freaking Lelia has acted more torn up about it, and she led the execution charge pretty much.

No surprise; the assassination failed, but the Chinese ambassador's wife getting hit, at least puts that alliance on shaky ground. Will this stop Jamal's attempts at being "reasonable", and he's just going to go full-blown Tyrant on the rebellion.

Well... at least Moran Atias looked lovely at always.

Next week: 

freaking Sammy is going to inherit $100 million dollars. I shudder to think about how that little tool is going to handle that kind of money.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3
(edited)

For once I didn't mind Molly. I thoiught it was the best performance that JF has turned in so far for this show. Of course that isn't saying much. But what's with a church going lawyer stepping in to solicite business? Would someone really assume that she doesn't already have a lawyer given that she's spent the LAST 4 MONTHS trying to get her husband freed? Why would her situation NOW be more complicated to deal with?

On another front... Ok, we get it.. Barry wandered the desert for A Very Long Time. Not quite 40 days and 40 nights, but it was bleak and desolate and hot and cold and hopeless and felt like an eternity... oh wait.. I'm thinking of MY experience of those scenes. Never mind,

As usual Laila knocked it out of the park even with the little she had to do in this episode.

Ahmed is growing on me. And going all rambo on the dead assassin? Shades of Barry there!

Oh yeah... assassination attempt... whatever. Only intersting for the juxtaposition of Jamal trying to be reasonable in the face of those who want to impose tyranny.

I'm still left wondering who the titular "Tyrant" is supposed to be or will be. That aspect of the show is what I find the most fascinating and where I think their biggest potential lies. Having it be someone other than Jamal creates the most depth of story.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)
Barry stumbling through the desert with his struggle wig and beard.

It was so laughable, right down to his wailing to Allah. At least he didn't shake his fists, too. (I was also wondering if Barry would wander for 40 days and 40 nights before meeting anyone.)

the Chinese ambassador's wife getting hit

Most awkward opening ceremony ever. 

But what's with a church going lawyer stepping in to solicite business? Would someone really assume that she doesn't already have a lawyer given that she's spent the LAST 4 MONTHS trying to get her husband freed? Why would her situation NOW be more complicated to deal with?

Now that Barry is presumed dead, all the estate stuff kicks in, so things have become more complicated. But why Church Lawyer decided to throw his card in is dumb—Molly and Bassam should already have a lawyer they trust. Maybe CL is a nascent love interest. Which, ugh. Molly is the last person I want to see in a triangle. She's the last person I want to see, period.

Ahmed is growing on me. And going all rambo on the dead assassin? Shades of Barry there!

That cracked me up. So manly, to empty the revolver into the guy after someone else had the kill shot.

Sammy is 18 or older, right? So he will have control of the $100 million he's inherited? (Assuming no other conditions, that is.) Ugh. He's an idiot under normal circumstances; I dread to see what happens when he becomes an obscenely wealthy douche.

I'm still left wondering who the titular "Tyrant" is supposed to be or will be.

I think it's Jamal, wrestling with his inner tyrant. He desperately wants to be loved by his people, but he fears they'll overthrow him if he doesn't run the country with an iron fist. He's in the wrong place at the wrong time—Abuddin is on the verge of revolution, and it probably doesn't matter who's in charge. It's going to happen sooner or later no matter what.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

That cracked me up. So manly, to empty the revolver into the guy after someone else had the kill shot.

I wasn't thinking it showed any maturity or manliness. What it showed is that he is settling into violence and perhaps even developing a taste for it. He's trapped in a violent word on the brink of revolution with high expectations on him to follow in his father's footsteps. It reminded me of Barry as a child executing the prisoner.

It would be an interesting twist (if they get enough series for it) if HE ends up being the Tyrant.

That was the worst assassination attempt, he all but wore a sign  when he came out of the bathroom.

Molly's already getting a love interest? What happened to Justin? Tucker? Him being involved/showing up and her moving on with him would make more sense than the random church man who showed up and instantly offered his lawyer services. That just seemed shady. She should already have family lawyers. I'm guessing the 100 mill is family money since it's going to the eldest son and just Sam, nobody else. 

No surprise; the assassination failed, but the Chinese ambassador's wife getting hit, at least puts that alliance on shaky ground. Will this stop Jamal's attempts at being "reasonable", and he's just going to go full-blown Tyrant on the rebellion.

I'm sure the Chinese aren't thrilled about what happened, but I'm sure they want to get their hands on the oil. I could see using this an excuse to drive a harder bargain, but I can't see them just dropping the project, at least not in the real world.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm sure the Chinese aren't thrilled about what happened, but I'm sure they want to get their hands on the oil. I could see using this an excuse to drive a harder bargain, but I can't see them just dropping the project, at least not in the real world.

Yeah, in the real world, it would improve their bargaining position but would be unlikely to destroy the deal completely. Individuals, especially women in many countries, just aren't important enough for their safety or well being to overide economics.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

It's kind of a shame - our power was out last night, so this episode didn't record.  I didn't even care enough to seek it out On Demand. 

In terms of who the titular Tyrant may be - I always thought it was Barry.  Otherwise, what was the purpose of the scene showing him as a child executing that man? I've kind of refined that, to assume that Barry is a natural tyrant (whixh he has consciously or subconsciously repressed, from being a pediatrician to putting up with Molly) while Jamal is NOT a tyrant, but is forced by circumstances to act as one.

• Love 2
(edited)

Most of this episode was so disjointed as to be completely annoying.  We jump from "I don't think I can face people today" to the three of them in a restaurant.

Molly wants "American coffee?"  Is there some reason she can't just make some?

Who else expected the priest in the confessional to turn out to be a reporter?

Bizarre episode.

And unless they're standing in profile, I can't distinguish Jamal's wife from his son's wife.  Anyone?

Edited by Puffaroo
  • Love 1

Molly wants "American coffee?"  Is there some reason she can't just make some?

When she said that I assumed what she meant  by "American Coffee" was she wanted to go to an "American Coffee" chain. Somewhere like Coffee Bean or Starbucks. Something that tasted familiar.

I didn't really need so much of Barry. I would have liked more of the plotting of the assassination. Even though he was supposed to be a college news reporter, they should have advised him to dress up and blend in. Although, he paraded right up to the podium. It was so obvious. That's why you do it at a restaurant.

I didn't really need the scene with the kids. I mean, eh. Is there a plot there? With the kids I mean. Clearly, Molly has legal stuff she has to do. I suppose that phone call will be important. 

I'm hoping Barry ends up like some sort of Preacher figure from the early Dune books. 

(edited)

What was puzzling to me was the show went to great lengths to set up the assassination in a way that made sense (disguise yourself as a reporter, say you need to get closer to shoot a photo) AND it provided the contrasting plot point of Tariq and the intelligence guy zeroing in on the assassin's identity and photo. So when the assassination came, I expected one of those two points to win out, and instead we see the assassin, for no clear reason, walking up to the stage unimpeded in a hoodie and the attempt fail. Maybe the show left out the part where the assassin finds out once on the scene that his ID is known, and that is why he pulled up his hood? That still wouldn't explain why the security guys let him walk so far up before taking him out.

I still love the ambiance of this show, the politics of being a tyrant there and the depiction of Jamal. I admit I fast forwarded through the scenes with Barry in the desert and his family back in the states. And the lawyer scene at church ... WTF?

I'm hoping Barry ends up like some sort of Preacher figure from the early Dune books

It feels like he is going to gather the Fremen, doesn't it? I thought the season would be about Barry and Jamal joining up to combat a successful (initially) coup by Tariq, but I guess not. 

Edited by Ottis

So far this season I've been watching this show just to catch a glimpse of Moran Atias (Leila), she is such a beautiful woman.

In the first season they spent some money shooting in a few cool locations or had awesom CGI, the plot had potential, Jamal was scary as hell, and I was interested in some of the other characters.

It seems like they slashed the show's budget and are now shooting on a crappy back lot out in Orange County, I think some of the writing staff moved on to other projects.

I hope Moran Atias will get picked up by a better show, this one is sinking fast.

The assassination attempt made me LOL.  So much effort drilling that doof on his student journalist cover story and then he skulks down the center aisle in the middle of the ceremony wearing his assassin hoodie and shades.  (Too bad for the guy who traded his car for the badge.)

Yeah, Manchild Ahmed didn't do himself any favors with that post-show gunplay.  Much internal eye-rolling from the security detail.

I really like this show, though.  They're doing a good job developing (some of) the characters.  I once loved gentle Ahmed for not pressuring Nusrat about sex when she was all PTS'ed.  And Jamal's so cornered by all his in/external conflicts, he almost makes me forget last season's sado-psycho monster.  I might even get on board with Desert Turban Barry.  And, heeee, I can't wait to see what $100M does to Junior Douchey.

• Love 1

Ahmed didn't get his London boutique hotel so he got the biggest bong in the Middle East.

His wife is also a Lady Mcbeth wannabe like his mother and that makes him want to be like pops?

This episode seemed to pass quickly. I love Jamal. He is the only one who has any compassion. Or at least the only one to show it. I'm not interested at all in Molly and her kids. And why the ambulance chaser at the church? Next week looks intense - good!

• Love 1

I just can't get past Jamal terrorizing and repeatedly raping that one woman who tried to kill him last season.  And then he went on to rape his future daughter-in-law.  I don't think I'll feel very bad when someone finally kills this guy (Maybe Barry? Possibly his own son? I don't know).

Yeah, the Barry scenes definitely went on too long.  They'd show Barry huddled over in the sand storm, and I'd think okay, NOW the storm's done?  But no, it kept going, and going, and going.  Poor Barry, though, burnt to a crisp in the desert sun.  That had to hurt like a bitch.

I did feel a bit bad for Sammy when his love interest called to tell him that he was moving.  Cause you just know that idiot (Sammy) is going back to Abu Din soon.  

I imagine he'll return pretty quickly once he receives his $100 million inheritance.

I hope there's more to Jake Weber's storyline than love interest to Molly.  JF couldn't manufacture any chemistry with her on-screen husband, so I don't have any hope for romantic sparks between her and Jake Weber.  A love story here sounds about as much fun as watching Barry wander through the desert while being fried to a crisp.