Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Wouldn't it be just like the Warriors to turn Moody, Kuminga and (less likely) Wiseman into stars to join Jordan Poole, just as Steph, Klay and Draymond are getting to the end of their careers?

Jordan Poole was considered a bust even early last season, his second. I’m so happy he’s developed this far, this fast. Hell, even at the start of this season the narrative was hope in the two rookies and Wiseman as the long term future. Poole had made the leap to “acceptable replacement starter while Klay’s still out”, but no one was credibly saying he’d be a crucial piece of the next Death Lineup.

One big factor is how much the team reloaded the coaching staff by adding development coaches. I think the relative lack of that hurt Wiseman’s development last year and while he didn’t get to show his growth this year, it’s still paid off in developing Kuminga and Moody.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, arc said:

Jordan Poole was considered a bust even early last season, his second. I’m so happy he’s developed this far, this fast. Hell, even at the start of this season the narrative was hope in the two rookies and Wiseman as the long term future. Poole had made the leap to “acceptable replacement starter while Klay’s still out”, but no one was credibly saying he’d be a crucial piece of the next Death Lineup.

One big factor is how much the team reloaded the coaching staff by adding development coaches. I think the relative lack of that hurt Wiseman’s development last year and while he didn’t get to show his growth this year, it’s still paid off in developing Kuminga and Moody.

Another thing is that Steve Kerr doesn't believe in benchwarmers. He does pare down his rotation during the playoffs, but during the regular season everyone gets playing time, and not just garbage time.

I think he played Wiseman too much his rookie year though and Wiseman's body broke down.

• Love 1

I woke up this morning and watched Steve Kerr's pre-game press conference and, I swear, I was brought to tears.  He basically said, "fuck basketball right now" and spoke passionately about the shooting tragedy in Texas.  Sure, I know teams always want to win, but in this particular instance I don't think he and the Warriors gave a shit because they can finish up when they get back home.   

• Love 12
10 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

All part of the plan to do a gentleman's sweep.

Which, IMO, are pathetic.  Then the media will talk non-stop on how great it is, so that the winning team (in this case Golden State) can win in front of their fans.  To be fair, I think it's more of a league thing than a team thing as a team would rather close things out as soon as possible and not worrying about a ton of games per round (and within the entire postseason)

50 minutes ago, Carey said:

To be fair, I think it's more of a league thing than a team thing as a team would rather close things out as soon as possible and not worrying about a ton of games per round (and within the entire postseason)

The players and coaches would almost definitely rather just sweep, but the team as a business -- esp Golden State with its sky high ticket prices -- would rather see more home games.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, arc said:
5 hours ago, Carey said:

To be fair, I think it's more of a league thing than a team thing as a team would rather close things out as soon as possible and not worrying about a ton of games per round (and within the entire postseason)

The players and coaches would almost definitely rather just sweep, but the team as a business -- esp Golden State with its sky high ticket prices -- would rather see more home games.

That is fair enough.  I may not be a fan of it, but I understand (and respect) the business part of it.

On a sorta related note, maybe the league should push for a best of NINE.  That way, a perfect sweep would have the home team winning in front of its home crowd

16 hours ago, Carey said:

That is fair enough.  I may not be a fan of it, but I understand (and respect) the business part of it.

On a sorta related note, maybe the league should push for a best of NINE.  That way, a perfect sweep would have the home team winning in front of its home crowd

[Looks at Celtics/Heat series]

You want two MORE games of this?!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Really! As someone elsewhere said (I can't take credit), the 90s are calling and they want their basketball back.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Great to see the Warriors back in the finals. I'm sure that plenty of people will want those upstart underdogs, the Boston Celtics, to beat this dynasty that makes basketball so boring and finally get a shot at the championship, huh?

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Don't the Celtics have a gazillion titles? Share the wealth! 

Sure, but they've only won one title in the past 35 years.  To be fair, that's one more than the Knicks and Sixers combined, so the east coast legacy teams haven't exactly been dominating since the Reagan administration.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Game 6 Klay showed up a game early! Dubs are BACK where they belong! 

Sorry @Magog! Okay, just kidding. 😂

Gee, thanks. I'm certain that you & ESPN were "very happy" that those Warriors put an end to the Mavericks & this crappy series last night with their usual stroll in the park victory (120-110). The game was over by halftime. It sucked, the series sucked & I'm only happy for Andrew Wiggins for getting to his first NBA Finals.

10 hours ago, isalicat said:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRSSSS!

That is all. 😸

😡 🤢 🤮

8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Great to see the Warriors back in the finals. I'm sure that plenty of people will want those upstart underdogs, the Boston Celtics, to beat this dynasty that makes basketball so boring and finally get a shot at the championship, huh?

Seeing ESPN's favorite Golden Boy (you know who) & that utter tool Joe Lacob in yet another NBA Final absolutely infuriates me.

As for the Celtics, there is just something about them that flat out rubs me the wrong way. I find them just as unlikable as those Warriors & its making me nauseous that I'll be forced to root for them if they get there. Either way, I lose. It'll be even worse if its those scummy Warriors.

Edited by Magog
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Magog said:

As for the Celtics, there is just something about them that flat out rubs me the wrong way. I find them just as unlikable as those Warriors & its making me nauseous that I'll be forced to root for them if they get there. Either way, I lose. It'll be even worse if its those scummy Warriors.

Maybe you should avoid watching for the sake of your health.😁

• LOL 5

I'll watch to see how much the league and company stop at less than nothing to make sure an icon like Stephen Curry doesn't go through life (or have someone purchase his tombstone) with the tagline of "The Greatest to Never Win the NBA Finals MVP"

Of course, in addition to the NBA and whomever "aiding" Number 30 to finally get that postseason honor, the Celtics & Heat have, but not before the latter blew a double-digit lead & not after giving Golden State an additional 48 hours of rest & relaxation

I said this in the Boston/Bucks series, but if the Celtics don’t take advantage of the breaks gone their way they will be kicking themselves for a long time. They’ve fallen short three times in the past five years in the conference finals, but all those felt a little “just happy to get that far”. This year would be a real squander with Tyler Herro out and Butler hobbled until now. It should not have gone to a game 7. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Hopefully Herro can play Sunday. I had no favorite at the beginning of this series, but I've come out on the side of the Heat. They may be the higher seed, but they're the clear underdog here, and I root for the 'dogs unless I despise them. 

All that said, I got my wish for a 7 game series while my team gets a week to rest and recover. Speaking of which, GP2 may be ready to play in the Finals, which makes me happy. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

All that said, I got my wish for a 7 game series while my team gets a week to rest and recover. Speaking of which, GP2 may be ready to play in the Finals, which makes me happy. 

Plus the absolute fun of watching the East duke it out. GP2 and OP and Dre! Next Thursday is going to be lit!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/27/2022 at 9:33 AM, Magog said:

Yes.  This, times a million.

I like Jimmy Butler more than I've liked any player since Hakeem Olajuwon.  I love how he never stops fighting and he encourages his team members during the game. He's why I want Miami to win.

Edited by nittany cougar
17 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Maybe you should avoid watching for the sake of your health.😁

I wish that we can do that to Tom Brady. Plus, it wouldn't be much of a help to my dying nearsighted eyes or my stomach.

I don't know who ESPN & their inferior NBA Countdown show is rooting for in Game 7 tomorrow. But, I know that those Warriors going to be laughing at both the Heat - Celtics while they're licking their chops. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm sorry to bring up teams that no one is talking about as we're focused on teams still playing & are 4-5 (or 6,7,8) games away from the title, but it looks like LeBron James Los Angeles & the Lakers have their guy.  Though the guy was pimped as probably being able to manage things (GL with that anyway); coming from a great culture.  Despite that, changes still need to happen for Darvin Ham in order to better compete in a much, much tougher league

Edited by Carey
Might want to promote the name of the guy taking over in LA
  • Love 3
On 5/26/2022 at 3:47 PM, isalicat said:
On 5/26/2022 at 3:17 PM, Fukui San said:

Really! As someone elsewhere said (I can't take credit), the 90s are calling and they want their basketball back.

I guess Golden State is happy that the East Finals went the distance!

Some series would be better off ending ASAP, but there are other series that are competitive to where you never want it to end.  This year's ECF would be the latter, but that can be connected to injuries, and really the teams involved.

In terms of a nine-game series, I was mainly referring to the later round, specifically the WCF, the ECF, and the NBA Finals.  Not the first two rounds.

The above allows me to go the other way in terms of series length.  I would not mind it if they went down to a best of 5 (or 3 in the early rounds).  That's not going to happen.  People aren't going to be pleased with a super long series, but would defend the current system with the argument being the league would not want to give up money/revenue and that would be a loss if they shortened the series.

I don't think I'd bet the NBA to emulate the collegiate format.  However, Colin Cowherd did bring up a fair point.  The best postseason is the one-and-done stuff.  That's what makes the NCAA Tournament and the NFL so spectacular (while the entire College Football season is/can be so spectacular).  I'd disagree with a one-and-done format, since it would be bad for business if an upset occurs.  However, if the upset makes the most of it, and not to just knock off a team only to lose right after, then I'm for it.  The main thing is that why should it take 4 tries to take out a team or why should you be allowed to compete for the title after losing 3 times to the same team.  Call me a cheapskate, but I think twice is enough.  The exception is if both teams are evenly matched.

Despite that, and despite this East series, it's still nice that there is a Game 7.  I believe there was not a winner-take-all in the first round, and don't think there were more than two in the second.  It'll be great since I have no idea who'll win tonight.  Plus it'll be great for Golden State who should be able to wrap up the season two weeks from tomorrow as of this post

• Love 1

Damn, Boston tried to give that game away, but Butler tried a heat check at the wrong time.

So, it's Celtics-Warriors, the two best defensive teams in the league. The more the league changes, the more it stays the same.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Damn. That missed three by Jimmy Butler was awful.

Oh well. Celtics Warriors should be a great series.

Had the open look but needed to take more time on the shot or drive for the tie. 

I can't see Boston beating gsw but then I didn't think Toronto had a chance vs them either. 

(edited)
9 hours ago, Marley said:

Toronto only won because of GSW injuries.

9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't see Boston beating gsw but then I didn't think Toronto had a chance vs them either. 

The Raptors beat those Warriors twice in that regular season. At least that NBA Finals had a happy ending. I don't know if this current NBA Finals is going to have a happy ending. All I know is that the victory parade for the winner (especially if its those Warriors) is going to absolutely suck.

As for Game 7, the series pretty much sucked. But, somehow that was a pretty good game last night. The only good thing about the Celtics winning last night is that we don't have to tolerate Mr. "We The Best Music" being all over the place in the NBA Finals irritating the hell out of me while rooting for the Heat.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

Well, for what it's worth, Toronto also had Kawhi.  In addition, Gasol is/was pretty good.  Coach Nurse ain't no exclusive figurehead; that guy knows how to coach.  BTW, I don't think San Antonio was winning more than 2 games against Golden State in 2017, but before Leonard went down, they were cruising by in that first WFC game.

I'm not going to put this Warriors team over the 2015-2016 one on a general level, but this year's team in terms of their postseason performance, IMO, is better than the one from the previous decade.  What will be nice to see is how a healthy GSW squad performs against a decent team and historic, accomplished franchise in Boston.  No more Cleveland nonsense, which was all but a total rout in the past.

As mentioned, the Raptors were blessed they faced a banged up Warriors team 3 years ago, but the latter still managed to win 2 games.  Had that team been healthy, they probably win another title, but with the Raptors actually looking competitive.  Probably it ends in 5 or 6, but at least most games would've been one or two possession games.

I don't think Boston wins this series, but I think they have a chance to make it a series.  Really, I don't promote losing, but if there's ever a game the Celtics should punt prior to opening tip, it's the Thursday game.  Then see what you can do on Sunday without draining too much energy for a sorta must win third & fourth game

14 minutes ago, Carey said:

I don't think Boston wins this series, but I think they have a chance to make it a series.  Really, I don't promote losing, but if there's ever a game the Celtics should punt prior to opening tip, it's the Thursday game.  Then see what you can do on Sunday without draining too much energy for a sorta must win third & fourth game

Well, they may have no chance if the Celtics lose Game 1. Rolling over & playing dead or losing a close game in Game 1 against those Warriors is not an option for the Celtics. They need to come out in Game 1 like they mean business. If its somehow a close game in the 4th, they won't try not to throw the game away like they tried to do last night. 

• Useful 1

I know Steph Curry has won NBA championships and league MVP awards but today he did the best thing ever. He and Ayesha Curry appeared on Sesame Street. They segment was about cooking and Steph showed off his basketball skills.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I know Steph Curry has won NBA championships and league MVP awards but today he did the best thing ever. He and Ayesha Curry appeared on Sesame Street. They segment was about cooking and Steph showed off his basketball skills.

Yay. I feel like I'm eating Bean Boozled Jelly Beans watching that. Personally, it would of been more enjoyable if that was Draymond in that segment.

The NBA Finals starts on Thursday Night & since the NBA Countdown show sucks & is absolute garbage, I wonder if they're going to show Steph's pre-game antics throughout the show. They're part of the Steph Curry Fan Club & are always finding ways to sucking up to him & those Warriors. Plus, we know who they're all rooting for. 

(edited)
58 minutes ago, xaxat said:

You know what ESPN/Disney likes? Money. And Steph Curry and the Warriors deliver.

From The Athletic (sub required). Warriors as NBA ratings gold,

A chart of the most watched games this season.

Screen-Shot-2022-05-25-at-5.26.53-PM-102

Honestly, anyone who claims they like watching iso-heavy basketball by teams that just want to get to the line and shoot free throws, over the way the Warriors play, is in complete denial. It's no surprise that the Warriors are great for television ratings. They're exciting to watch - their ball movement, speed, shooting, ability to switch on offense and defense, and the personalities of the players.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 8

Only 48 hours (or less!) to the NBA Finals starting! I am so pumped - this is going to be a great series (I hope!). No injuries on either team, please thanx Basketball Gods. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIOOOORRRRRRRRSSS!

• Love 4

I am so glad that even network employees are dragging ESPN's Power Index that gives the Celtics an 86% chance to win the series. I don't know what their algorithm is, but it needs work.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I am so glad that even network employees are dragging ESPN's Power Index that gives the Celtics an 86% chance to win the series. I don't know what their algorithm is, but it needs work.

That number was for the Celtics?!  Wow!

Goes to show you how I've had success in terms of my moderation for what I pay attention to within television content.  Plus, I'm doing a ton of stuff simultaneously.

On that note, I thought Wilbon was referring to how absurd it was that Golden State had an 86% chance of winning.  I figured he agreed with the Warriors winning, but not an 86 percent chance of clinching the title.  I think Boston can win the series; as mentioned, I like GSW FTW, but this should be a competitive finals. 

While anything can happen, the West champion probably has a slight advantage at best