Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

What happened to the Suns between the regular season and the playoffs? It's like things completely fell apart.

Since the Sixers collapsed in the second round (it's almost like saying "as usual" at this point), I'm pulling for the Mavs but GS is tough. And the Mavs don't get much of a break before it starts.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, emma675 said:

What happened to the Suns between the regular season and the playoffs? It's like things completely fell apart.

Since the Sixers collapsed in the second round (it's almost like saying "as usual" at this point), I'm pulling for the Mavs but GS is tough. And the Mavs don't get much of a break before it starts.

I think a big part of it is that 37-year old CP3's body just isn;t ready for playoff basketball anymore. I notice he got worse and worse in the playoffs -- he was good against the Pels but faded quickly against Dallas.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think a big part of it is that 37-year old CP3's body just isn;t ready for playoff basketball anymore. I notice he got worse and worse in the playoffs -- he was good against the Pels but faded quickly against Dallas.

And he even had a month off thanks to his broken hand.  I'm not sure what their plan is.  Load management like the Spurs used to do with Duncan, Parker, etc.?  A deliberate Kyrie of playing only half the games because it's a lot easier to play well when you always have 3+ days of rest?

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

And he even had a month off thanks to his broken hand.  I'm not sure what their plan is.  Load management like the Spurs used to do with Duncan, Parker, etc.?  A deliberate Kyrie of playing only half the games because it's a lot easier to play well when you always have 3+ days of rest?

Both of those options would mean Phoenix's first priority this summer is to get a second or third-tier backup guard.

Tonight is the NBA Lottery. I can't wait to see where the sorry Knicks will end up (hopefully not in the Top 10) so I can laugh at them & where the Lakers pick (which now belongs to the Pelicans) end up. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about those Warriors finding their way to a Top 10 pick like last year. 

Speaking of those Warriors & Steph, saying something remotely nice about them makes me want to vomit profusely. But for once, I will grin & bear it because Steph did something that did not irritate me for a change. He got a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Sociology from his school (Davidson). For that, I will congratulate him for that achievement. Now hopefully, he & those vile Warriors will go down against the Mavericks. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Magog said:

Speaking of those Warriors & Steph, saying something remotely nice about them makes me want to vomit profusely. But for once, I will grin & bear it because Steph did something that did not irritate me for a change. He got a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Sociology from his school (Davidson). For that, I will congratulate him for that achievement.

ral-life-david.gif

• LOL 12
6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

The Lakers not having their draft pick and not having any meaningful way to improve their team in the near future makes me happy. @Magog

You think and hope that, but every 5-10 years one of the best players in the league decides that their lifelong dream is to play for the Lakers, screwing over whatever team they're currently on and erasing whatever sins their personnel department has committed. There's no hole big enough for my liking.

• Love 6

So, so, sorry Magog! "Those Warriors" just shut down the anointed one, Sir Luka of Doncic (I actually love watching him play and he is so beautiful to look at too that I only wish him ill as to scoring, not anything else). And the rest of his team. Only one of four needed but wonder-full!!!

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, isalicat said:

So, so, sorry Magog! "Those Warriors" just shut down the anointed one, Sir Luka of Doncic (I actually love watching him play and he is so beautiful to look at too that I only wish him ill as to scoring, not anything else). And the rest of his team. Only one of four needed but wonder-full!!!

I tried for once to show a little kindness towards Steph & this is how he repays me tonight.

😡  🤢

Rolling in mud with the pigs (very lovable animals BTW) was more fun than watching yet another stroll in the park victory by those scummy Warriors.

• LOL 3
28 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Oh, come on, NBA, we needed so much more than a two-year reprieve of Golden State being the anointed ones. *sighs in disappointment*

Cream rises to the top! 😸

• Sad 1
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I enjoyed that. Most of the podcast chatting classes were tacitly crowning the Mavericks and Luka already. Talking about how Golden State couldn't guard him, how he'd do whatever he liked and how the Mavs defense would stifle the Warriors.

I'm sure the series will have twists and turns, but this was a nice marker to put down. The Warriors, when they're on, are a different beast to any other NBA team.

• Love 5
(edited)

Looks like it's just you and me, @Magog. LOL. As a long-term Rockets fan it bothers the crap out of me how Houston never seemed to get their due from the media at large for pushing GSW in the playoffs as much as they did. I will go down saying that we would have beaten them in 2018 had CP3 been able to play Game(s) 6 and 7.

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

As a long-term Rockets fan it bothers the crap out of me how Houston never seemed to get their due from the media at large for pushing GSW in the playoffs as much as they did. I will go down saying that we would have beaten them in 2018 had CP3 been able to play Game(s) 6 and 7.

It also didn't help that the Rockets were winning both Games 6 & 7 at halftime & that loser James Harden couldn't find a way to get them home to victory. He also was helping them go 0-27 in 3-pointers in Game 7. I've hated James Harden & the Rockets since that time. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Magog said:

He also was helping them go 0-27 in 3-pointers in Game 7.

0/27 will always be a sensitive and sore spot with me. We had our chances and we blew it. I didn't even know you could mathematically miss 27 shots in a row. 😔

4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I enjoy watching Luka. If nothing else, he's kind of eye candy.

Luka seems like a cool guy. Very chill and unassuming, despite being an incredible player. I remember his pre-draft media stuff, where he talked about his dream being living in New York and dating Jennifer Aniston.

• Love 2

Draymond Green gets the longest leash of any player when it comes to the ref, especially if he already has one tech. Thank God the announcers are finally starting to call it out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Draymond Green gets the longest leash of any player when it comes to the ref, especially if he already has one tech. Thank God the announcers are finally starting to call it out.

What? Draymond breathes on someone and gets teed up. This has been the case for his entire career. 

• Love 5

I don't like ABC's coverage of Golden State and Dallas.  They constantly have the camera trained on Steph Curry.  Last night, they showed a reaction shot by Steph when one of his teammates was scoring a basket. They need to fill out their coverage a little more. This is not just the Steph Curry show (and I like Curry). His teammates deserve credit, too.

I wish Steph Curry would put his mouthpiece back in his mouth. It grosses me out watching him run around with it hanging out.

I really enjoyed seeing Charles Barkley in a Mavericks jersey.  I guess he lost a bet witb one of the guys on the show.

• Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I don't like ABC's coverage of Golden State and Dallas.  They constantly have the camera trained on Steph Curry.  Last night, they showed a reaction shot by Steph when one of his teammates was scoring a basket. They need to fill out their coverage a little more. This is not just the Steph Curry show (and I like Curry). His teammates deserve credit, too.

We know who the peoples on ESPN/ABC are always bootlicking & rooting for. Unlike me, they were absolutely thrilled by that ass whooping those Warriors gave to the Mavericks in the 2nd half (especially in the 3rd Quarter). I'm sure that whoever the sacrificial lamb is going to be between the Heat - Celtics, ESPN/ABC will be laughing at them while being lapdogs & rooting for those Warriors.

49 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I wish Steph Curry would put his mouthpiece back in his mouth. It grosses me out watching him run around with it hanging out.

That game was 72-58 Mavericks at halftime & I knew that those disgusting revolting Warriors will find a way to make it close & win the game. It shouldn't be a surprise at all, but it always really makes me sick. Steph always reminds me of watching Bugs Bunny cartoons and Bugs Bunny & Tweety Bird always find a way to victory. Bugs Bunny never gets blown up, humiliated, or have an anvil dropped on him & just like watching those Warriors, it really irritates me. Plus, just like Steph & those Warriors, I don't like Bugs Bunny at all and I love the Roadrunner & the Coyote.

BTW, this series is OVER & It'll be a miracle if it even gets to a 6th game. Thanks for nothing Mavericks.

Edited by Magog
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

The Mavericks' bench potentially risking injuries to players by crowding onto the court bothers me. They've been fined more than once and, apparently, Mark Cuban encourages them to do it. They need to have technical fouls called on them.

And why do they have so many useless players on the roster, who don't even suit up for games?

• Love 6

Miami beat Boston by 6 in game 3 tonight, which was the closest margin of victory in a game since the Bucks beat Boston by 3 in game 5 of their series. Between that we had 11 straight games of 8 point margins or more across all series including some historic ass kickings. We've had interesting fiascoes but not really any close games over the past week and a half.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The Mavericks' bench potentially risking injuries to players by crowding onto the court bothers me. They've been fined more than once and, apparently, Mark Cuban encourages them to do it. They need to have technical fouls called on them.

The Mavs have been fined for the third time this postseason for bench decorum, though it's pocket change to Mark Cuban. *eyeroll*.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33964278/nba-fines-dallas-mavericks-100k-third-bench-decorum-violation-postseason

Seriously, their bench needs to just sit down.

• Love 6

I can't believe that TNT, the only pre-game show I watch, just teased interviews with Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

I'll be back for the tip off.

IIRC, TB12 actually asked to be on the program (EJ OK'd it).  This was in the aftermath of Shaq's comments defending Tom's new mega-FOX deal.  I guess the interview was no surprise; with A-Rod in addition to Brady, I'm guessing that was the plan to promote the upcoming Match golf show

(edited)

Dallas is def done. Wiggins killing it near the end. Curry always killing it.

Doing the pre game show and after the game discussion outside was annoying as hell. It was too loud and distracting.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 2

Oh my Dubs! How doth thee please me!

Actually that entirely disrespectful Wiggins dunk over Doncic that did not touch Luka in the slighest but made him cascade onto the court like a giant baby was the moment of the playoffs so far for me! They called a foul and had to rescind it because it was such a dive on Doncic's part (as much as I love him, he does have that European flare for the dive).

Onwards and upwards, hopefully to a sweep on Tuesday so we can rest up and watch the Celtics and Heat beat each other up for seven games.

• Love 5
(edited)

I have a feeling Dallas will take game 4, but the Dubs will rally to win game 5 on Warriors Ground. 

But I'm all for Miami and Boston beating up on each other in 7. 😀  I don't have a preference. The Dubs swept the Heat, split with Boston.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2022 at 5:43 AM, nittany cougar said:

Superstar guards and their disgusting habits:

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, isalicat said:

Oh my Dubs! How doth thee please me!

Giving me constant migraines, nausea, stomach cramps, & kidney stones inducing agony everytime, all the time. Since this crappy series is flat out over (its been over since the end of Game 2), I expect Steph in Game 4 to not only mock the Mavericks on the logo, but to also mock the Mavericks bench in their faces. If I have to suffer through yet another stroke-inducing stroll in the park Warriors victory, I need some type of entertainment to stomach through this torture.

13 hours ago, Marley said:

Doing the pre game show and after the game discussion outside was annoying as hell. It was too loud and distracting.

Its more fun & entertaining to watch that than this entire series (ECF & (especially) WCF).

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I have a feeling Dallas will take game 4, but the Dubs will rally to win game 5 on Warriors Ground. 

But I'm all for Miami and Boston beating up on each other in 7. 😀  I don't have a preference. The Dubs swept the Heat, split with Boston.

Boston has been weirdly good vs. Golden State in recent history. Since the 2015-16 season, Boston has won 9 and lost 5, sweeping in 2019-20 and 2020-21.

• Useful 1

I wish TNT would run Inside the NBA during the finals even if they can't carry the games.

I'm going to miss Charles on this show so much whenever he retires.

• Love 4
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Boston has been weirdly good vs. Golden State in recent history. Since the 2015-16 season, Boston has won 9 and lost 5, sweeping in 2019-20 and 2020-21.

The years the Celtics swept were the years the Dubs were awful, missing the playoffs (well, got knocked out by Memphis in the playoff prelude last year). Not even close in '19-20. I'd guess pretty much everyone swept them that year.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
(edited)
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The years the Celtics swept were the years the Dubs were awful, missing the playoffs (well, got knocked out by Memphis in the playoff prelude last year). Not even close in '19-20. I'd guess pretty much everyone swept them that year.

The period mentioned includes taking a game off the 73 win 2015-16 season and the championship winning teams of the two following Durant seasons and the finalists in the last Durant season. You'd expect the Warriors to be a clear level above the Celtics in that time frame, but the Celtics have played them even at least every season. The Celtics have been a weirdly good matchup against the Warriors. (And a weirdly bad matchup against the Heat, unfortunately.)

Edit: To put it another way, Steph Curry has an 11-11 career record vs. the Celtics, his 2nd worse record of any team behind the Spurs (13-18).

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 1

Celtics/Heat is an ugly war of attrition. Each team with half the roster banged up. A few days of rest along the way would probably have helped the sheer quality of play in this series. 

• Useful 1

Wouldn't it be just like the Warriors to turn Moody, Kuminga and (less likely) Wiseman into stars to join Jordan Poole, just as Steph, Klay and Draymond are getting to the end of their careers?

They know how to develop players over there, and seem to be able to identify the personality types that will thrive in their environment.

This Heat/Celtics series is so back and forth. I don't know what the hell happened to Jimmy Butler last night, but you really don't want your main guy putting up a statline like that in game four of the Conference Finals.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Fukui San said:

The Mavericks are not winning at all tonight. Its going to be just another stomach-turning stroll in the park victory for those scummy Warriors. If I don't dry-heave tonight, it'll be a miracle.

5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

This Heat/Celtics series is so back and forth. I don't know what the hell happened to Jimmy Butler last night, but you really don't want your main guy putting up a statline like that in game four of the Conference Finals.

As for the Heat - Celtics, this series really sucked through 4 games & its not going to get any better. Those Warriors are laughing at them & licking their chops over how they're going to humiliate one of them while Steph is mocking them in their faces.

6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Wouldn't it be just like the Warriors to turn Moody, Kuminga and (less likely) Wiseman into stars to join Jordan Poole, just as Steph, Klay and Draymond are getting to the end of their careers?

They know how to develop players over there, and seem to be able to identify the personality types that will thrive in their environment.

Butler was a game time decision to play last night with an injury.