Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, scorp01 said:

I can't believe the number of sportscasters and fans who are saying that GP2 "should have fallen better" or "known how to fall".  Just wow. 

Pathetic.  I'd take Twitter member more seriously than those fans & sportscasters.  That's just me; naturally that garbage would've come from Twitter.

In other words, I'd take someone that's never seen the game over most everyone else that said that because that lacks common sense.  Be better.  No one falls toward injury on purpose.

I'm not a Simmons fan, but to be fair, I don't know what's up with the guy.  I'm not going to come to his defense against his critics since it's fair enough to wonder about his dedication.  It's one thing after another, but you just never know what's up with someone.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Marley said:

Dallas has zero chance of winning the series against Phoenix. I think they will actually get swept. 

Same with Miami/Philadelphia.

Milwaukee/Boston and GSW/Memphis, on the other hand, could get interesting.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Milwaukee/Boston and GSW/Memphis, on the other hand, could get interesting.

I think Warriors vs Grizzlies will definitely be interesting, although the talent difference between the Warriors and the Grizzlies is stark. It took Morant playing to a ridiculous level and the Warriors misfiring badly from three to tie the series, and the only way the Grizzlies win is if that trend continues - Morant plays to insane levels while Curry and Klay struggle.

Of course, Morant's continued success will be helped by Dillon Brooks injuring (either deliberately or negligently) one of the Warriors' best defensive players.

• Love 2
(edited)

I’m always confused why it takes so long to determine that someone needs surgery.  Ben’s back has been bad for a year, obviously whatever they were doing wasn’t working, but they dillied around and now his recovery has been pushed back even further.  He’s young for this type of procedure, I wonder if he had some sort of acute injury no one realized.

All the cats on ESPN saying “dissectomy” instead of “disCectomy” is driving me nuts.  Of course, a promo they ran many many times kept pronouncing Luka’s name as Luka Donish so I don’t know what I’m expecting.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I’m always confused why it takes so long to determine that someone needs surgery.  Ben’s back has been bad for a year, obviously whatever they were doing wasn’t working, but they dillied around and now his recovery has been pushed back even further.  He’s young for this type of procedure, I wonder if he had some sort of acute injury no one realized.

Maybe he was reluctant to do if there was hope a non surgical option would work?  That's not a criticism - it's understandable to want to avoid going under the knife if there are other options.  He's also not the first athlete to delay surgery.  Shaq once famously delayed surgery on his toe until the start of training camp because "I got hurt on company time, so I'll heal on company time".

• Useful 3

Joel Embiid is supposedly playing tonight. I don't know how I feel about this, I would love for the Sixers to win but not at the expense of his health. They had a Twitter video of him walking into the arena and it really looked like he was keeping his head down to concentrate on his feet and avoid the fluorescent lights. I would hope trainers and doctors wouldn't clear him from concussion protocols too fast, but...

Why do the same teams that played on Wednesday play again tonight, while the other 4 get almost 4 days off since they played on Tuesday? That’s not fair at all. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, twoods said:

Why do the same teams that played on Wednesday play again tonight, while the other 4 get almost 4 days off since they played on Tuesday? That’s not fair at all. 

Yeah, that was weird until I realized that the games on ABC tomorrow are the ratings grabbers. 

• Useful 2

I get that, but that's not an excuse for the teams that played on Tuesday to receive 3 day's rest just because of ratings.  I'll come around to respecting travel, but this is odd given that it's not consistent.

Turner had hockey for the first time (in at least forever), but whatever.  There was no great reason the Tuesday teams needed to be off on Thursday.  That would have been TNT, a great night, and rather routine for TNT since that was their spot post NFL

• Love 4

Please he was obviously going for the ball. Ja and the Grizzlies are being stupid about it. I hope he is ok but to say Poole did it on purpose is idiotic.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Both the Sixers and the Mavs have come back from being down 0-2 in their series to tie things up. I love playoff basketball. 

Dallas did play better but Chris Paul also had two of his worst playoff games in a long time.

53 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Dallas did play better but Chris Paul also had two of his worst playoff games in a long time.

My nephew who lives in the greater PHX area texted me a string of curse words when referencing CP3. Can't say that I blame him. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

My nephew who lives in the greater PHX area texted me a string of curse words when referencing CP3. Can't say that I blame him. 

I was out and wasn't able to watch the first half so when I heard CP3 had four fouls in the first half I looked it up to see if Scott Foster was lead ref.

People have lost their mind. Why would you touch a player’s family member or push them? That is never okay. I feel bad that CP3 seems to disappear in crunch time but maybe he will surprise us in games 5 and 6. 

• Love 2

I'm starting to thoroughly dislike the Grizzlies. First, Dillon Brooks injures GPII on a play that could, at best, be described as negligently dangerous, then Morant and the head coach lie about how Morant got injured, in an attempt to smear Jordan Poole as a dirty player. On top of that, a bunch of arsehole Memphis sports reporters carried on the lie on social media, including a fucking weatherman who described Draymond as a "knuckle-dragging, open-mouth" and got upset when people pointed out that's slightly racially insensitive.

Glad the Warriors squeaked a win tonight even though they played badly. Hope they wrap the series up in Memphis in a couple of days.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I'm starting to thoroughly dislike the Grizzlies. First, Dillon Brooks injures GPII on a play that could, at best, be described as negligently dangerous, then Morant and the head coach lie about how Morant got injured, in an attempt to smear Jordan Poole as a dirty player. On top of that, a bunch of arsehole Memphis sports reporters carried on the lie on social media, including a fucking weatherman who described Draymond as a "knuckle-dragging, open-mouth" and got upset when people pointed out that's slightly racially insensitive.

Glad the Warriors squeaked a win tonight even though they played badly. Hope they wrap the series up in Memphis in a couple of days.

Agreed kind of being poor sports. The Jordan Poole lie is so damn ridiculous. I hope GSW ends it on Wednesday.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I missed that about the weatherman. I hope Draymond's mother got wind of this so she can rip him a new one on Twitter. I love her. 😀

I'm certain that Draymond can handle that himself. 

As for Game 4, the Grizzlies really tried to win. Sadly, those bad guys found a way to pull out the victory in the 4th Quarter (especially during the last few minutes). The end of that game & pretty much this series was very disappointing to me. 

Hopefully, Kerr will get well soon (He tested positive for COVID). The Kings are absolute fools getting Mike Brown as their next coach. Mark Jackson (who helped started those Warriors to where they're at now (BTW, Joe Lacob can get bent.)) should of been their next coach. I'm still a Cavaliers fan (thanks LeBron) & I've never ever liked Mike Brown. I always find him very loathsome.

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Not to mention Memphis beat writers or twitter reporters or whoever they are, who tried to get JP suspended for walking onto the court when GP2 was injured.  Then last night the Memphis coach tried to insinuate that Draymond fouled JJJ on that last 3 point shot and was "curious" what the Last 2 Minute Report would say.  Ugh.  Stop whining.

• Love 5

Nothing to do with my feelings about Golden Stage/Memphis, but I was rooting a little for Memphis to win so that every series would sit at 2-2 which I don't remember ever happening before.

• Love 1

Brutal loss for the Celtics/gutsy win for the Bucks. If the Celtics don't come back to win the series they will be kicking themselves all offseason, having now lost the two 50/50 games and with the Bucks second best player missing the series. 

• Love 2

I know the Warriors will take care of business game 6 but when I turned on the score at the third and saw the 50 point difference I thought that the scoreboard was broken. Good for the Grizzlies for putting on a show in front of their fans. 

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, twoods said:

I know the Warriors will take care of business game 6 but when I turned on the score at the third and saw the 50 point difference I thought that the scoreboard was broken. Good for the Grizzlies for putting on a show in front of their fans. 

Where in the hell was this type of performance in Games 3 & 4?! It sucks that it took the Grizzlies till Game 5 to have this type of game. I just to have to somehow hope that the Grizzlies don't lay down & play dead in Game 6 like they did in Game 3. Game 5 was nice to watch, but the Grizzlies would really impress me even more if they can find a way to win Game 6. 

Even in a blowout, Draymond showed us once again how funny & lovable he is. Steph can still learn a lot from him. 

Memphis Grizzlies (Game 5) - Whoop That Trick

Draymond Game 5 Post Game Conference

Edited by Magog

All of those Philly fans who were over the moon when they did the Harden trade probably aren't so happy now, huh?  Playoff Harden adds yet another game to his list of checked out performances and Embiid is left to bitch about his teammate (he's a playmaker!).  Is that the NBA equivalent to calling a QB a game manager?

And way to go Doc.  "When I first got here no one picked us to be anywhere".  Really?  I'm pretty sure there were some expectations there Coach.

• Love 7

You could almost see Harden planning his Cancun fishing trip during the second half.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

All of those Philly fans who were over the moon when they did the Harden trade probably aren't so happy now, huh?

When rumors of the trade first started, both the Nets and Sixer fan bases were warning their counterparts "Be careful what you wish for."

They were right.

• Love 8

I'm sure that when the Mavericks kicked the Suns butts last night sending it to Game 7, that those Warriors were laughing at them & licking their chops. 

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

You could almost see Harden planning his Cancun fishing trip during the second half.

Mentally, James Harden was in Cancun last night. I don't know why anybody was surprised by his very crappy no-show performance last night & for most of the Playoffs. His crappy Playoff performances against those Warriors showed that he can't get it done when it really counts. Besides, James Harden showed more heart & effort on one leg in Game 7 against the Bucks last year than he did last night & pretty much the whole Playoffs this year. The 76ers will be stupid to give this fool a $200 Million contract extension. James Harden would fit in very well with the Knicks or the Lakers next season. 

4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

And way to go Doc.  "When I first got here no one picked us to be anywhere".  Really?  I'm pretty sure there were some expectations there Coach.

I wonder if he's going to say that if he goes to the Lakers after the 76ers rightfully kick him to the curb.

If the 76ers give Harden a big extension they are complete morons. They need to move on from him.

Nets should move one from Kyrie too if they can.

I know both these players were once huge superstars but they are either past their prime or just do nothing for the team they are on. Yes they get to the playoffs but that’s it really. Time to try to start fresh.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Marley said:

If the 76ers give Harden a big extension they are complete morons. They need to move on from him.

Nets should move one from Kyrie too if they can.

The nature of the salary cap greatly changes things for contenders, who are usually capped out and can't remotely replace their stars in free agency. Trades or sign and trades are the only way, or else they gotta just re-sign their disappointing stars and hope they'll improve.

Anyways, wooooooof, the Warriors looked terrible even when they had a two or four point lead in game 6. The amount of awful turnovers was incredible. Dray literally dribbled the ball off an inattentive defender's back at one point! That closing run was sorely needed, but ooooof. Here's hoping the Suns don't know how to defend like the Grizzlies. =/

The Warriors haven't looked like they're playing playoff basketball in the last three games, coinciding with Steve Kerr being away from the team. They've just looked casual and complacent, which should not reassure the Sacramento Kings, who just hired the guy who has been in charge for those games.

At least they decided to win it in the last five minutes.

I have to say, the demise of the Brooklyn Nets "super team" and its components amuses me. I will never give Kyrie Irving credit for anything, when he's so proudly stupid, and the overhyping of James Harden for years seems like it might finally end now. Flashy stats don't make a winning team if you can't elevate your teammates.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, arc said:

Anyways, wooooooof, the Warriors looked terrible even when they had a two or four point lead in game 6. The amount of awful turnovers was incredible. Dray literally dribbled the ball off an inattentive defender's back at one point! That closing run was sorely needed, but ooooof. Here's hoping the Suns don't know how to defend like the Grizzlies. =/

8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The Warriors haven't looked like they're playing playoff basketball in the last three games, coinciding with Steve Kerr being away from the team.

I don't know what is up with the panicking from '"Dub Nation" when those Warriors lost Game 5 in a blowout. Sadly, they got the job done last night & took care of business. Besides, Draymond wasn't panicking at all after Game 5, so why should Dub Nation?

Other than frontrunner & those Warriors bootlicker Stephen A Smith, nobody else on ESPN was panicking & freaking out about those Warriors in the series (especially after Game 5). I expect those fools on that inferior NBA Countdown to be showing their support by wearing Warriors gear on Sunday & during the Western Conference Finals. 

8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The Warriors haven't looked like they're playing playoff basketball in the last three games, coinciding with Steve Kerr being away from the team. They've just looked casual and complacent, which should not reassure the Sacramento Kings, who just hired the guy who has been in charge for those games.

At least they decided to win it in the last five minutes.

Those Warriors don't need "that guy" (Mike Brown) to help them win games. He isn't much of a help to them & he is just there for the ride. The Kings are going to find that out the hard way 

Playing at home and down 30 at halftime - if he doesn't lead a historic comeback then this is probably it for Chris Paul's legacy. He'll always be the guy who racked up the stats but could never lead his team over the hump when it really mattered.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Playing at home and down 30 at halftime - if he doesn't lead a historic comeback then this is probably it for Chris Paul's legacy. He'll always be the guy who racked up the stats but could never lead his team over the hump when it really mattered.

It's now about 40 close the end of the 3rd quarter. Stick a fork in them, they're done. What a complete disaster for the Suns after a stunning regular season. 

I knew this was going to be a struggle after the first round against the Pelicans (to be fair, Booker was injured). The signs were there then and I've had a bad feeling after Thursday's game.

I say this as a Phoenician and Suns fan since the Nash and Stoudemare era: this is a franchise embarrassment and heads are going to (rightfully) roll after this.

(edited)

Luka scored the same number of points as the entire Phoenix team in the first half.

In the post-game media sessions, when Monty Williams was asked why Deandre Ayton played only 17 minutes (zero in the fourth), Williams paused and said in a stern voice: “It’s internal.”

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 10