Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Serviam In Caritate

Yet another pointless episode. At least next week we finally get to see something related to Jackie's license situation, instead of all these dumb offshoots. Dr. Monk turning the ER to a free clinic? Seriously? How fucking stupid.

And the whole Grace topic turned out to be the tv equivalent of clickbait. Running away to look at a college? Yawn. I want snotty rebellious Grace back. At least she was sort of interesting.

• Love 4

The only good thing to come out of this episode was Zoe finally telling Jackie how she felt. Everything else was a waste of time.

Jackie can STFU. Yeah, Grace is her kid but Zoe is the one who Grace called, not Jackie, so Jackie needs to get off her high horse. And guess what, Jackie? Zoe is allowed to yell at Grace too. It's not Jackie's exclusive privilege.

• Love 6
(edited)

When Jackie drove her brat to the ivy league school that she is sure to get into and then requested for a thank you...I thought how about thanking Zoey for helping you out with your horrible family?  Of course not, instead Zoey gets a lecture about how she has no right to be angry at Gracie, because she is not the mom.  Oh Jackie, why is Grace so angry?  Maybe, it is because every chance you got you chose drugs over being the mom that she needed.  Remember last season when you were going to abandon everyone with a car full of drugs?

It is horrible to see how far this show has fallen.   At this point they might as well hand wave the whole season and claim a wizard did it.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 5

I actually liked this episode for some reason. I think mostly because it focused on Jackie and Zoey, and their relationship has really been the backbone of this series since the beginning.. I liked how Zoey finally got to have it out with Jackie and Jackie apologized and talked Zoey out of quitting grad school. I even liked the silly ending where they ended up dancing in the street. To me, this felt like the first honest moment in the show in the last two seasons.

That said, how dumb is Grace? What did she think would happen once her parents realized she was missing? Or, did she tell Kevin she was staying with a friend over the weekend or something? I didn't get how she thought this was going to work even if the bus hadn't left her ass behind at a rest stop.

And yeah, the shenanigans at the hospital are just getting more and more absurd. Given the fact that Gloria was turned down for a job based on her lack of a degree, am I to gather she cares even less about following the rules now, and is just going to stand by and let Dr. Prince dispense a year's worth of medicine for free? That'll look real good on your resume, Gloria.

Still, seeing Zoey slap the ice cream right out of Grace's hand made it all worthwhile.

• Love 7

The doctor Prince storyline is bizarre. Bring in a new character at the end of the show. Set up that you're about to kill him off. Have him give away all the hospital's medicines. And have the hospital administrator, who is a stickler for rules, go along with it. Good lord.

(edited)

I really want Jackie to understand how her bs has screwed with other people's lives- I loved how Zooey outlined it  - how much of an impact dealing with jackie has made on Zooey's daily life.  But I'm sure it completely went over Jackie's head because she's clearly the victim in everything.   And another thing...if Grace felt that she could count on you for anything she would have called you Jackie, so you just needed to STFU and let Zooey get the details.   Grace called the only person she can regularly count on - and Zooey went full mom on her.

I knew it was going to be nightmare trip when Zooey could barely unparallel park.

Turning the ER into a free clinic.....c'mooooooooon  - and free meds for all.  Probably shouldn't let a dying guy call the shots - he doesn't care what things look like 6 months from now.

I hate that I'm looking forward to the end of this series. 

Edited by Boilergal
  • Love 4
I really want Jackie to understand how her bs has screwed with other people's lives- I loved how Zooey outlined it  - how much of an impact dealing with jackie has made on Zooey's daily life.  But I'm sure it completely went over Jackie's head because she's clearly the victim in everything.

I would love this, but I feel like Jackie will never understand.  You are right, she does often see herself as a victim, even when she has no real right to do so. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Zoey: "I don't hit ice cream".

It looks like contrite Jackie who apologized to Zoey this week is going to be trying to manipulate her again next week. I bet she gets Zoey to give the urine sample for her. Grace expects someone to leave work to pick her sorry ass up, which they do, and her mother has to suggest a thank you. smh Where did Grace get the money for the bus ticket? I think she did steal the wedding purse. When she had previously asked to stay with Zoey she said she could pay for part of the rent.

Did anyone notice some blue marks on Carrie's chest when she was talking to the Norwegian?

Ugh to Dr Monk's free clinic, he can die already, and take the Norwegian with you. Hated Jackie's dance with Zoey, it just looked like more Jackie manipulation of Zoey's feelings to me.

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 3

The writers really got lazy on this episode. Did they expect us to play a drinking game to imbibe every time Jackie or Zoey said the F word, or "Shit," or "piss," or variations thereof?

How nauseating. Two educated, professional women should have better vocabularies. Rappers, they're not!

• Love 1
(edited)

Given Grace's troubled teen years, how is it that she's now this elite student with a shot at an Ivy League school, regardless of the money?  I didn't know she was a 4.0+ student who got 2200 on the SAT and was the student body president.  All I ever saw was her rebelling and getting high at parties.

I'm sick of Norway guy and his bad accent too, he needs to head back to Oslo.  I do like Dr. Monk a little better since we found out he's dying.  At least that explains the motivation for his behavior.  Jackie and Zoe's conversation was needed.  I guess they are full swing into the Jackie redemption arc now.  Not long until this all wraps up.

It is horrible to see how far this show has fallen.   At this point they might as well hand wave the whole season and claim a wizard did it.

Rosanne wrote the final season for her book.  In the last episode we find Jackie in the Bahamas with her suitcase full of pills, having rum punch on the beach.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

I really want Jackie to understand how her bs has screwed with other people's lives- I loved how Zooey outlined it  - how much of an impact dealing with jackie has made on Zooey's daily life.  But I'm sure it completely went over Jackie's head because she's clearly the victim in everything.

I think to some extent, you're right - Jackie never fully appreciates the impact her addiction has had on other people. At the same time, though, I felt like this was one of the few genuine moments she's had with Zoey. When Zoey told her she was quitting grad school, and didn't even know if she wanted to be a nurse anymore? Jackie cared. She cared about what Zoey was doing in that moment and it had nothing to do with her. Whatever she can get out of Zoey, whatever she can use her for, she still recognizes that Zoey is a good nurse and shouldn't quit just because Jackie let her down.

And that's kind of the thing with Jackie not really caring a lot about her addiction affecting others - she thinks it's kind of bullshit because it's not about them. And in some small ways, she's right. It's not really on her that Zoey idolized her to the point where Jackie's lapses in judgment made Zoey start questioning her whole life. That's really on Zoey. Same with Gloria if she's mostly bent out of shape because she's been betrayed by drug addicts before.  This is Jackie's problem, not their's. and it probably seems to her that sometimes they're going out of their way to make it about themselves.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think to some extent, you're right - Jackie never fully appreciates the impact her addiction has had on other people. At the same time, though, I felt like this was one of the few genuine moments she's had with Zoey. When Zoey told her she was quitting grad school, and didn't even know if she wanted to be a nurse anymore? Jackie cared. She cared about what Zoey was doing in that moment and it had nothing to do with her. Whatever she can get out of Zoey, whatever she can use her for, she still recognizes that Zoey is a good nurse and shouldn't quit just because Jackie let her down.

And that's kind of the thing with Jackie not really caring a lot about her addiction affecting others - she thinks it's kind of bullshit because it's not about them. And in some small ways, she's right. It's not really on her that Zoey idolized her to the point where Jackie's lapses in judgment made Zoey start questioning her whole life. That's really on Zoey. Same with Gloria if she's mostly bent out of shape because she's been betrayed by drug addicts before.  This is Jackie's problem, not their's. and it probably seems to her that sometimes they're going out of their way to make it about themselves.

Well, to be fair, Jackie made it about Gloria and Zoey when she involved them in her addiction by betraying them to get drugs and whatever else she used them for. Gloria being betrayed by drug addicts before didn't factor in until she reached a certain point with Jackie (or until the writers thought it should matter). It's true, Jackie never wanted to be idolized by Zoey, so if she's blaming her doubts on Jackie that's wrong. However, she could also doubt her career goals without even considering Jackie's actions. If Jackie really thinks Zoey is that great of a nurse, why has she been constantly hovering around Zoey in the ER like she doesn't trust her to do the right things? I don't remember her doing this in previous seasons, it's only been since the diversion program (and since the writers wanted us to believe she's the only one who knows what she's doing in the ER). She wasn't leaving a bleeding patient or anything when she walked away to take Grace's phone call, but it was unprofessional of Zoey and Jackie noted that she hadn't put up the rail on the bed.

Edited by dangwoodchucks

If Jackie really thinks Zoey is that great of a nurse, why has she been constantly hovering around Zoey in the ER like she doesn't trust her to do the right things?

Oh, I haven't read it that way at all. Jackie has been hovering over the patients because she desperately wants to do nursing things again and can't stand it that she's not allowed to. She's like my dog when I'm eating dinner, circling around my chair just waiting for some little crumb to drop on the floor. It's nothing to do with Zoey's  competence, it's Jackie's frustration that she can't be in there like she's used to.

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, to be fair, Jackie made it about Gloria and Zoey when she involved them in her addiction by betraying them to get drugs and whatever else she used them for. Gloria being betrayed by drug addicts before didn't factor in until she reached a certain point with Jackie (or until the writers thought it should matter). It's true, Jackie never wanted to be idolized by Zoey, so if she's blaming her doubts on Jackie that's wrong. However, she could also doubt her career goals without even considering Jackie's actions. If Jackie really thinks Zoey is that great of a nurse, why has she been constantly hovering around Zoey in the ER like she doesn't trust her to do the right things? I don't remember her doing this in previous seasons, it's only been since the diversion program (and since the writers wanted us to believe she's the only one who knows what she's doing in the ER). She wasn't leaving a bleeding patient or anything when she walked away to take Grace's phone call, but it was unprofessional of Zoey and Jackie noted that she hadn't put up the rail on the bed.

That's what makes it so frustrating to watch this - there are so many valid reasons for Zoey and Akalitus to be angry with Jackie, but those aren't the ones they're criticizing her for.

Zoey could be calling Jackie out for all of the lying, and for how she handled the Sister Helen situation (which put Zoey in a situation where she had to choose between destroying evidence of a federal crime, and turning in her friend.) But instead it's "You were my idol, and you aren't the person I thought you were, so I don't want to be a nurse anymore," which is just ridiculous.

And in Akalitus's cases, she isn't calling Jackie out on all of the shit she pulled as her employee. Instead it's, "You're a junkie, and junkies are bad people."

(Also, if Zoey is so angry about having to watch Jackie pee, why isn't any of that anger directed at Akalitus? It was clear that Akalitus appointed Zoey to be Jackie's piss-supervisor as a way of sticking it to Jackie, and as a way of punishing Zoey for admiring her. It's Jackie's fault that she needs to be drug-tested, but Akalitus should take some blame for pushing Zoey into the situation for such terrible reasons.)

If I were one of Jackie's colleagues, I'd be angry and betrayed and disappointed and all of that, but I'd also be concerned about her, now that her life has fallen apart, and it's clear that she has a condition that could easily kill her. It would be nice to see someone actually ask her if she's okay.

Ugh, screw the writers for making me feel like she's being treated unjustly.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2
And in Akalitus's cases, she isn't calling Jackie out on all of the shit she pulled as her employee. Instead it's, "You're a junkie, and junkies are bad people."

I don't think Akalitus is really making that argument.  I think her argument is much more that she simply feels betrayed, feels that Jackie isn't deserving of trust or her position as a nurse, along with feeling like an idiot because her addict son pulled something similar to what Jackie had done. 

If Jackie really thinks Zoey is that great of a nurse, why has she been constantly hovering around Zoey in the ER like she doesn't trust her to do the right things? I don't remember her doing this in previous seasons, it's only been since the diversion program (and since the writers wanted us to believe she's the only one who knows what she's doing in the ER). She wasn't leaving a bleeding patient or anything when she walked away to take Grace's phone call, but it was unprofessional of Zoey and Jackie noted that she hadn't put up the rail on the bed.

I think it's more Jackie feeling left out of the action.  She sees Zoey and the others working on a patient and she chomps at the bit to get in there.  She still has a lot of pride and feels she is the best nurse in that hospital, so she's frustrated.

This whole thing with Gloria's son being a junkie is something the writers pulled out of their asses and has never been mentioned before this season so it's really so much B.S. It was Gloria who threw away Jackie's urine sample back in Season 3 or whenever everyone had mandatory drug testing so Gloria has actually enabled Jackie in the past and knew she went to rehab. 

• Love 4

This whole thing with Gloria's son being a junkie is something the writers pulled out of their asses and has never been mentioned before this season so it's really so much B.S. It was Gloria who threw away Jackie's urine sample back in Season 3 or whenever everyone had mandatory drug testing so Gloria has actually enabled Jackie in the past and knew she went to rehab. 

That's why I've wondered why Cruz didn't put her in the diversion program when he found out she was an addict, or at the very least do drug testing. Eddie and Gloria were fired by Cruz for enabling her and not letting him know about Jackie. Gloria accepted her dismissal very well, while Jackie became distraught because she knew it was because of her. Yet she later resumed lying to Gloria and used her to get drugs, so I guess Jackie didn't feel bad enough about it. They thought the retconned story would explain why Gloria helped her in the past, but now just can't believe anything out of Jackie's mouth. Even without that story of the son Gloria had plenty of reasons for her current stance.

(edited)

I don't think Akalitus is really making that argument.  I think her argument is much more that she simply feels betrayed, feels that Jackie isn't deserving of trust or her position as a nurse, along with feeling like an idiot because her addict son pulled something similar to what Jackie had done.

In their arguments, Akalitus will yell "JUNKIE!" as though she thinks it's the equivalent of calling Jackie a Nazi or something. The implication is that she's not just angry about Jackie's actions, she's angry that Jackie falls into that category of people.

That's why I've wondered why Cruz didn't put her in the diversion program when he found out she was an addict, or at the very least do drug testing. Eddie and Gloria were fired by Cruz for enabling her and not letting him know about Jackie.

I'd guess it's because he knew his son would be angry with him if he took it out on Jackie directly. He was looking for ways to punish someone for what happened without punishing Jackie.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

Playing catch-up here. After taking a break for a few weeks, I found myself really enjoying this episode. Yeah, Monk's dying character seems shoehorned in, Grace's sudden turn to good girl is out of nowhere, but Jackie and Zoey's scenes together were VERY well-acted. I did not sense any type of deception from Jackie for a nice change.

I loved Zoey yelling at Grace and slapping the ice cream out of her hand.

• Love 2