Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Prodigal

(edited)

Abe continues to be a terrible spy. Put a lock on the inside of that door. Dig a little cubby in the dirt down there for your spy stuff then cover it with the table so if someone comes in when he's not there they won't find it. C'mon, man. However, he is pretty good at scheming. It was pretty quick on his feet to think about framing Hewlett for the deaths of Simcoe's men.

Good on Townsend for coming around. I didn't need a whole monologue written on the back of Abe's bill though. Didn't Ben say it took forever for them to get even a little bit of the green stuff that makes the ink show? I suppose he'll learn. I'm glad Papa Townsend is still alive. I was afraid Simcoe would've killed him.

Sprout is so adorable.

I ship Hewlett/Anna over Abe/Anna everyday of the week.

Good for Anna for taking that shot. There should be no mercy with a man like that.

"Where's your beard, Caleb?" "It was tickling the ladies." and "Both of you. In the boat. Now." Bless you, Caleb. Now get back to Ben. I'm worried about him.

Edited by Iboatedhere
  • Love 3

Next week is the finale right?  Thank God.. I'm bored to tears with these people.  As a born and bred Bostonian who loves American history-especially Revolutionary era stuff- I am starting to sympathize with the British (except Simcoe- HATE that guy).  Maybe the writers are Tories?  They sure are making Abe and his band of idiots look foolish.

Abe is not compelling as a character.  Anna is NOT all that and a bag of chips, so I don't get the lusting from every man in the Colonies.  Abe's father is an a-hole. Benedict Arnold & GW chew their way through every scene they have. Talmadge and Hewlett both run in circles with no one in higher authority listening to them. Peggy Shippen just looks too 21st century with all that make up.  And Simcoe can just die already.  Can't stand his high pitched voice.  I have to mute the TV when he's on or risk having seizures due to the unearthly frequency.

Since I know how it all turns out, I will probably skip next season (if there is one).  I can't even enjoy hate-watching this anymore.  It's just hate at this point.

• Love 1

I pretty much thought this episode was a hot mess. The busy episodes at the beginning of the season seemed to be better executed.

What was the point of Abe's imprisonment, besides attaching yet more tropes to the character and his not being missed by certain quarters of the audience? It allowed more focus on other characters, I suppose, but what did it advance plot wise? I anticipated that he'd learn some intelligence in there and come back with it -- but no. He was just in there to grow a beard. For. Four. Freaking. Episodes. Weeks? Months? It's hard to tell. In the end, he didn't bring Townsend into the fold -- Simcoe did.

And Tallmadge is back hanging around Valley Forge? It didn't appear as if Washington recalled him. Who does he answer to anyway, at this point? Did he come back to report the outpost massacre and screw the Boston assignment? I guess we're meant to assume that Tallmadge refused Arnold's offer to work as his aide, yea many episodes ago? And where are the dragoons?

Both Ben and Abe have been written so crappy, I can't even. Alex Rose wasn't kidding when he said Ben was a challenge for the writers -- I personally don't get why, and I'm pissed on behalf of the historical characters and the actors who play them. These writers rely on way too many pointless, dead end plot holes and devices, and resolutions that happen offscreen. I don't need to be spoon fed, but some consistency/continuity would be appreciated.

Speaking of consistency, Washington's still being an idiot? That's bad enough. Then again, does he secretly know all and is just giving Lee enough rope to hang himself, with Billy's and Ben's scheming just another miscalculated waste of time? That's just as bad and not without precedent.

I've been impressed with the characterization of Arnold up to this point. Peggy's been hit or miss for me, though. The two together were so strange and awkward and sort of awful.

An episode with no Andre seems unwise at this juncture.

On a more positive note, Anna kicked some butt throughout the episode, playing mind games and killing them, as needed killing. Good for her. Loved Hewlett holding her back when Abe reunites with Mary. Didn't love Anna's smoochy reunion with Abe, tho.

Gah, Simcoe is a creep. That Bucephalus confession? Glad Hewlett saw through the intent, there, and can talk a good game back...but I hope he's got a plan beyond just sitting and waiting. It really shows that the writers like to write for these two characters.

Robert Townsend is awesome. Billy Lee is awesome. Mary is awesome. The reunion with Sprout was touching. That kid is seriously adorable. The first scene with Cicero was beautifully lit and filmed.

They've wasted an entire season making the Culpers and the Continentals look like incompetent stooges. I was afraid they'd wait until the last episode for anything to go right. Now I'm not even sure of that. I have such a love/hate thing going on with this show. And, bleh, now I'm quoting Simcoe, quoting somebody.

• Love 3

How the tables turn! – Pun not intended – A few episodes ago Peggy was proposing to Andre in that same garden. Last episode I wondered how the show would convince me about any love between Peggy Shippen and Benedict Arnold and now I know the answer, it can’t. Other than the intended awkwardness, the actors just don’t have any chemistry at all.

Even though I like Hewlett and Simcoe (as a villain), I’m afraid that Andre remains the best character in this show, IMO. No Andre = no fun and no sexy, which is always a big mistake. I hope he’s back for the finale with a large part to make up for this dreary episode.

• Love 1

Even though I like Hewlett and Simcoe (as a villain), I’m afraid that Andre remains the best character in this show, IMO. No Andre = no fun and no sexy, which is always a big mistake. I hope he’s back for the finale with a large part to make up for this dreary episode.

Andre is in the promo for next week.

"Not sure Anna would have had the knife in her boot, much less used it -- or finished off her would-be attacker with a Sopranos-stylee blunderbuss shot to the head. "

Didn't Abe slip Anna the knife from his wrist band as they were forced along in the woods?

• Love 2

Simcoe and Hewett trading well mannered yet threatening barbs whilst calmly walking together. Aww....so polite. Love those two, and dammit, I can totally see our sweet Hewett doing some very bad things.

Benedict Arnold was adorable with Peggy. "Peggy, I like you, I remember your letters, Lets Get Married!!" LOL. He wastes no time.

Liked Townsend now helping the spies, but cannot believe it took Abe that long to clue into the fact that he wrote a message in invisible ink. *sigh*

Ben seems to be able to skirt authority and seems to be on his own doing his own thing. I wish they showed him under the stresses of regular command, while trying to covertly deal with his side-spy ring. That's how that character should have been written. Still love Ben.

I had no problem with Anna shooting that guy. Good. Disgusting guy. And Abe slipped her the knife he carries against his forearm.

Oh Washington, you really think Bernard Lee is sincere in his apology, after he repeatedly badmouthed you?? I can see why Arnold is irritated.

For the shallow record - the guy who plays Billy Lee - hot! Yum! So many hot men on this show. *sigh*.

What kills me is that next week is the finale and I don't see the show being renewed, so it's really going to end and yet..nothing really happened. Again, we won't know how much influence the Culper Spy ring really had on the Patriots cause. We won't see what happens to Simcoe, Townsend, Abe, Tallmadge, Andre, et all.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have come round to the viewpoint already expressed by others throughout the season that I know how it all ends but I'm no longer sure that I can rely on that information. I don't think there is much of a plan as to where the story is to go beyond drawing out the things we already know or confounding expectations by making wildly ahistorical leaps. Turn is coming to the end of season two and barely has a functioning, useful spy ring, it's less about spying than merely talking about spying. There has been too much emphasis on forced, ineffective chemistry. At least in Benedict Arnold's scenes with Peggy I believe the two of them were meant to be awkward and slightly funny. Not so with Andre and yet I find them ridiculous too. I'm honestly wondering if the point of the character of Peggy Shippen is to make Anna's pulchritude seem less overstated by comparison. She's pretty enough, but with a brittle cold manner, even in scenes about her supposed passion for Andre and her pinch-mouthed fart-faces overwhelm her delicate features, as does her pageant makeup. I don't understand her appeal, she's like a teeny-tiny Margaret Dumont. At least her coldness worked as a counterpoint to Benedict's excessive enthusiasm and crazy assumptions. If she winds up marrying him because otherwise there is a baby that will be born on the wrong side of the blanket, I'll puke.

Abe and Anna continue to be flat and unappealing together. Abe can't even rescue a damsel or protect his friends as well as being The Spy Who Got Caught Too Much. His Sekrit lair is ridiculously undisguised. I enjoyed Anna barely needing Abe's help to get herself out of a dire situation. I really don't think the show needs much of Abe either, at least as written. He's far too hapless to be gathering intelligence effectively. They need to make him actually succeed by intent rather than by accident, which is not how it seems so far. Either that or just make him do a lot of running. Jamie Bell sprinting is one of the great joys of this show. They need to contrive reasons for him to do so as much as possible. 

Hewlett is one of the few characters who I would sorely miss. I too ship him with Anna. 

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

What kills me is that next week is the finale and I don't see the show being renewed, so it's really going to end and yet..nothing really happened. Again, we won't know how much influence the Culper Spy ring really had on the Patriots cause. We won't see what happens to Simcoe, Townsend, Abe, Tallmadge, Andre, et all.

This puts into words what bothers me the most.

• Love 3

And Simcoe can just die already.  Can't stand his high pitched voice.  I have to mute the TV when he's on or risk having seizures due to the unearthly frequency.

OMG, I know! That voice sounds like something out of a Monty Python sketch about upperclass twits!

Peggy made me laugh when she told Arnold something to the effect that her daddy would be upset if she stayed their talking alone to him too long. Hell, honey, he never noticed you being out alone all night so I doubt he would care! ;-)

Benedict, too soon too soon! Oh, that was a funny scene. Especially, oh my father wouldn't like me being out.

I thought Abe was going to emerge from prison more of a spy. They really bungled that. Though I liked the slipping of the knife and Anna going Rambo. The end was all good.

Still though. Make your spy lair more secure. They could have really set it up that Abe and Anna were having an affair and that's where they secretly meet.

I don't have a problem with Anna being so liked. She's an attractive woman who isn't stupid and single in a small town.

• Love 1
(edited)

Why, show?  Why?

You are called TURN: Washington’s Spies, how about we see some actual spying and its impact on the Revolutionary War.  If I wanted to watch love triangles, daddy drama, crisis of faith, and dysfunctional family dynamics, I’d watch Days of Our Lives.

The Culper Spy Ring and the Revolutionary War are interesting topics, you have a cast of engaging/charismatic actors, you film in some of the prettiest parts of Virginia, and you have wonderful production values; why are you wasting your time on non-spy-y storylines?  I would think the danger of spying and a small rag tag army taking on a world power would be drama enough, no need to add soap opera crap.  So much potential, none of it realized; what a waste.

Why did it take 19 episodes to get Robert Townsend on board?  The groundwork for having “a man inside York City” should have been laid in season one and come to fruition early in season two with some of Townsend’s intelligence paying dividends by season two’s end.  Instead we got …….. I’m not sure what we ended up with but it wasn’t entertaining.  I am glad that Papa Townsend is okay, black eye and all.

Personally I would have used season one to lay the ground work for the formation of the Culper Spy Ring (including the need for Townsend) by starting with Nathan Hale’s failed attempt at spying and his subsequent hanging as well as including the Continental Army’s defeat in New York.  This would have shown us the reason for Washington’s desperate need for intelligence and willingness to form a spy ring.  It also would have nicely tied Ben Tallmadge to the story through his Nathan Hale connection (more so than the single throwaway line we got).   Again, so much potential, all of it wasted.

What exactly is Simcoe’s motivation?  Does he disagree with Hewlett’s leadership style or handling of Patriots?  Is it a philosophical difference?  Is it a personal vendetta?  Or is Simcoe just cray-cray?  Frankly I’m tired of the little pissing contest between the two; please save us all the aggravation and just grab a ruler, measure yourselves, and declare one of you the "big dog" - let's be done with it.

Of course the first thing that the soldiers think to do when they capture Anna is to rape her while her “beloved” watches; such a tired trope.  I was glad to see Anna stab and then shoot her attacker. 

Abe you need to better disguise your spy lair or at the very least hide the spy toys so they’re not on display for anyone who decides they want to explore the root cellar.

Richard Woodhall, go away and take Jordan with you.  I like Aldis Hodge, I really do; I just dislike everything about his character.  What is the point of his storyline?

Whatever happened to Ben vetting Abigail?  We saw her start to read and then crumple Ben’s instructions.  Yet another potential interesting storyline that was just forgotten about.

Why is Ben benched, both by the show and Washington?  I don’t remember reading that he was this incompetent as spy master (nor was Andre this good).  He needs to have a “win” soon – actually, the Continental Army needs a “win” as well – with the way Tallmadge, Washington, and the Army is being portrayed makes you wonder how the Americans won the war at all.  What is his plan with Bradford?  

I think there is a bit of truth in the Benedict-Peggy meet-cute (I think it was a parade and not an angry mob that threatened the carriage).  If I recall correctly, the Shippens were not strictly Loyalists nor were they Patriots, they were pretty neutral (believing elements of both sides were correct) and supported whoever held Philadelphia.  I don’t like how the show is handling the Andre-Shippen-Arnold storyline at all.  Too many love-sick puppies for my taste.  At least they’re making Peggy an active participant in turning Arnold traitor (I never believed she was the innocent wife).

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 2

From Sarah's 'cap:

(I JUST realized Shippen Sr. is played by Bogs from Shawshank!),

OMG, THANK YOU! This was chewing at me all ep. I knew I knew him!

I liked Bell's affect of scratching at his beard, as if there were lifeforms within. Because it looked like there would be. Nice note by the actor.

All that dialogue about Sprout finally falling asleep, and all the closeups show him very clearly awake. Which is why you don't work with kids! Or why you should have a writer on set to fix the dialogue if your toddler actor can't close his eyes for a half-hour together.

After watching week after week of Outlander where nobody ever kills the rapist, I might have leapt from my couch cheering when Anna fired her gun. Might have. No witnesses, so I can deny it if I need to.

I super-liked the shot in the open when the horse nuzzled the camera lens. Who's a good horsey! You are!

• Love 1

Personally I would have used season one to lay the ground work for the formation of the Culper Spy Ring (including the need for Townsend) by starting with Nathan Hale’s failed attempt at spying and his subsequent hanging as well as including the Continental Army’s defeat in New York.  This would have shown us the reason for Washington’s desperate need for intelligence and willingness to form a spy ring.  It also would have nicely tied Ben Tallmadge to the story through his Nathan Hale connection (more so than the single throwaway line we got).   Again, so much potential, all of it wasted.

I would've had Hale at the gallows as the very first shot of the series.

• Love 3

<-- Bangs head against desk due to appalling mishandling of the story.

I'm doing the same thing (except I'm using the padded cubicle wall - hurts less)  ;-)

Season one ended strong, season two started strong .... I'm more forgiving of the missteps in season one as (1) the show was trying to find its footing and (2) the powers-that-be seemed to have found the proper tone/balance between drama and spy stuff by season's end .... why it stopped half way through this season is a mystery.  There are only ten episodes a season, you'd think it wouldn't be that difficult to write compelling stories without resorting to soap opera tropes (especially since the real story is fascinating on its own).

I would have loved to see the show explore Arnold a little more (the love-sick puppy routine is just too, too much) ... I know we had Ben mention a few times what a "hero" Arnold was - it would have been nice to explore that a bit more before having him become petulant, love sick, and a malcontent.

I am still uncertain as to what Tallmadge's plan is, what is he hoping to accomplish by pledging his Dragoons to Bradford?  He does't know about the plot uncovered by Townsend, so is he just going by his gut?  Is he still banking on Abigail's note that Lee is a traitor?

Why would Caleb think Anna and Abe would just run away with him (even after they murdered the two Rangers)?  Abe has a family, and while not in love with Mary, I do think he cares about her and of course he loves his little Sprout; I have no doubt that once Simcoe discovers two of his Rangers missing/dead he'd go after Abe's family (while trying to frame Hewlett).  Abe wouldn't want that.

I know in the tent scene Lee says he was "inspired" by Washington getting the men through the winter at Valley Forge and that's why he changed his mind - it would have been a perfect opportunity to mention the increased troops and the French presence.  Was Lafayette even part of the meeting?

I also think it would have been nice to see some of the drills, new discipline strategies, and a focus on hygiene instituted/preached by von Steuben - a few lines and some background drilling would have been enough.  The strategies learned during this time at Valley Forge helped at the Battle of Monmouth (next week's episode).  This is the same battle that caused Lee to be court-marshaled (perhaps that's why Ben is heading there?).  The way the story line has been written, I fear that some of the viewing audience might think that Washington just got "lucky" -- sure there was some of that, but a huge part was the six months of drilling and training the troops received while encamped in Valley Forge.

So far (as all ya'll pointed out)the show has done a lousy job explaining/demonstrating the role of the Culper Ring had in helping to win the Revolutionary War.

• Love 3
(edited)

I am still uncertain as to what Tallmadge's plan is, what is he hoping to accomplish by pledging his Dragoons to Bradford? He does't know about the plot uncovered by Townsend, so is he just going by his gut? Is he still banking on Abigail's note that Lee is a traitor?

I know in the tent scene Lee says he was "inspired" by Washington getting the men through the winter at Valley Forge and that's why he changed his mind - it would have been a perfect opportunity to mention the increased troops and the French presence. Was Lafayette even part of the meeting?

I also think it would have been nice to see some of the drills, new discipline strategies, and a focus on hygiene instituted/preached by von Steuben - a few lines and some background drilling would have been enough. The strategies learned during this time at Valley Forge helped at the Battle of Monmouth (next week's episode). This is the same battle that caused Lee to be court-marshaled (perhaps that's why Ben is heading there?)

I've edited OakGoblinFly's post down to some particular points.

The stuff between Washington and Tallmadge has seemed so bizarre really. I mean once Sackett was found dead, I expected them to come to some sort of understanding, but next thing we know, Tallmadge is fired offscreen. He's assigned to Boston, but never seems in any haste to get there and apparently never does go. Back at VF, Washington's actually ignoring Tallmadge and cutting him in public. Then, we have Washington seemingly falling for Charles Lee's flattery and putting him in charge of a large part of the army for an important operation. This is really speculation, so maybe I should address it in another thread, but is it possible

that Washington and Tallmadge staged the demotion, in order to distance him from Washington's sphere and allow him to get in with and disrupt some of the possible threatening elements such as Lee? The chronology of this doesn't really make sense, but who knows what the writers messed with when they switched episodes 6 and 7.

Idk. It's probably a stretch, but I'm just trying to find some kind of possible explanation besides GW being petty and incompetent and Ben being superfluous. And the writers being clueless.

Also, I think the info that Townsend came across is probably not anything to do with Lee, but rather

Thomas Hickey, who was a member of Washington's life guard who was charged with an attempt on Washington's life. There was a casting call for him for the finale, if I remember rightly.

I, too, wish they had shown more of the hardships of VF. There really was very little sense of that :/

Feel free to move this to a speculation thread if necessary, mods :)

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 1

There was so little spy action in this episode again that when Sprout was moving his hand up and down in bed, I thought it was some kind of a “code” (a child prodigy of a spy, if you will)(surely, he'd be a better spy than his father ever was). 

Sigh, it's hard to believe that this was the penultimate episode. At this rate, there WON'T be a United States of America, y'all...

I also think it would have been nice to see some of the drills, new discipline strategies, and a focus on hygiene instituted/preached by von Steuben - a few lines and some background drilling would have been enough.  The strategies learned during this time at Valley Forge helped at the Battle of Monmouth (next week's episode).  This is the same battle that caused Lee to be court-marshaled (perhaps that's why Ben is heading there?).  The way the story line has been written, I fear that some of the viewing audience might think that Washington just got "lucky" -- sure there was some of that, but a huge part was the six months of drilling and training the troops received while encamped in Valley Forge.

They showed a tiny bit of this in the background of the last episode. They don't do anything to make it obvious that it was von Steuben leading them, but they showed the men drilling in the background while some man yelled out the orders. So I do have to give them some credit for that little bit from your post. But I mostly agree with your critiques and everyone else's. 

(edited)

I think the guy was drilling them in English so that wouldn't have been Von Steuben speaking. At that time, about all the English he knew were swear words! He's one of my faves from Revolutionary history along with Tadeusz Kościuszko.

I wish they would show Washington's public vituperation of Charles Lee when he caught him riding away from the Battle of Monmouth.

Edited by LittleIggy
(edited)

Yeah, I worded my response poorly. It was more that they didn't do anything to make him seem like it was Von Steuben that we were looking at (not that they didn't make it obvious like I said above). But my brain did go to him when I saw the drilling, so I figured we were to assume that it was at least showing the impact of his training the men even if he isn't the one leading them in that moment and being directly shown on screen. I was trying to listen for an accent initially. Maybe I am giving them too much credit. 

I didn't quote what he same poster said about Tallmadge not being this incompetent in real life and Andre not being this good, but remembering now I wanted to comment on that. If I remember correctly, it is even beyond that not being the case - where Tallmadge wasn't actually incompetent and did an overall decent job and Andre wasn't really good. So they aren't even just playing up/exaggerating their roles, they seem to be going the opposite direction for both. The Culpers were considered to be some of the most professional of the spies on the American side in general.

Edited by VMepicgrl

I think the guy was drilling them in English so that wouldn't have been Von Steuben speaking. At that time, about all the English he knew were swear words! He's one of my faves from Revolutionary history along with Tadeusz Kościuszko.

I wish they would show Washington's public vituperation of Charles Lee when he caught him riding away from the Battle of Monmouth.

I'm thinking they will show that. It's likely the reason they had Washington chastise Bradford for his language in the meeting.

Aw, love Kosciuszko!

I saw just a glimpse of the men being drilled and immediately thought "von Steubben!" I often wonder, though, people who have no real sense of the story (before watching) couldn't understand this series at all.

I saw just a glimpse of the men being drilled and immediately thought "von Steubben!" I often wonder, though, people who have no real sense of the story (before watching) couldn't understand this series at all.

I knew the story of the Culper Spy Ring and many of the key players in both Washington's spy network and in the Revolutionary War effort before TURN aired and I still have a hard time understanding this series.

Quite a few people have talked about Simcoe's voice. Am I the only one who has been somewhat bothered by Anna's voice since the beginning? It seems like in the actress's attempt to use a slight accent, she sounds like she has a cold and is congested all the time. The actress doesn't sound like that in interviews when she uses her real voice. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Quite a few people have talked about Simcoe's voice. Am I the only one who has been somewhat bothered by Anna's voice since the beginning? It seems like in the actress's attempt to use a slight accent, she sounds like she has a cold and is congested all the time. The actress doesn't sound like that in interviews when she uses her real voice. 

I'm pretty sure I remember reading/seeing a recentish interview with Heather Lind in which she said that during the first season, she had quite a time getting used to wearing a corset. It affected her breathing and to an extent her voice and accent.

Edited by Kabota
(edited)

I only got to see this episode last night as I was out of town. I agree with so much that has already been voiced. It continues to annoy, now anger, me that the spies who won the war for Washington look like a bunch of bumbling idiots. As mentioned: no lock or bar on the cellar door? How has someone not tried to scavenge food from the cellar or use it as a tryst-hole?
I imagine that it might not seem as exciting if people aren't losing their lives at every turn, but

the Culper Ring were not murderers. There were close calls but not the constant violence that this show wants us to believe. Robert Townsend joining the ring: off camera and mentioned as an aside? It was Simcoe and his troops that destroyed the Townsend orchards (for wood, no less), but there is just an off-handed remark that one would hardly notice that links the Rangers to the crime. Why don't they make that very real, very personal connection? If I didn't know I could trust Townsend, I don't think I would be trusting Townsend based on what we've seen of him.
As for the rape "trope" as someone mentioned, Abe Woodhull begged Talmadge to liberate Setauket because of the constant threat of rape by the British soldiers. Unescorted Peggy Shippen wouldn't last five minutes on Long Island.

I know this is all historical fact vs fiction. I'm not asking for a documentary. My husband actually likes the soapy drama. Just remember, this is how most everyone will be exposed to the Culper Ring. And they will think it's true. Can we just get a little closer to the truth?
I like:
1. The idea of the first scene of the series being the hanging of Nathan Hale. Let *that* be where you show how spying wasn't working
2. Hewlett holding Anna back on the porch. This guy may be the deepest character on the show.
3. Simcoe's voice. Okay, it just doesn't send me screaming from the room. Maybe his voice is why he's so angry.
4. Akinbode

I'll see it through to the end of the season. But I just can't take the revisionism any more.
Forgot to say that as soon as Papa Townsend said that Robert was his only son, I now fear for his life.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Added Spoiler Tags

That does make more sense! I still don't buy the gunshot, though.

Yeah, but why give HER the knife? They're in terrible danger and Abe hands tiny Anna his only weapon. Oh, right! Cus now she's some sort of freakin' kunoichi-esque warrior princess...and he's just a candy ass. Makes perfect sense…except it doesn't. Like most everything this season. Oh, and the gunshot... that would have carried over 6+ miles. Everyone on East Long Island would have heard it.

Abe figured he could fight the redcoat in hand to hand combat, while Anna probably needed an advantage. They didn't know Abe had a knife at all, and the other soldier probably wouldn't have expected a woman to fight back so much. I'm not seeing that huge of a stretch. It's funny because Abe got beat up quite bad.

• Love 1

I don't have a problem with Anna getting the knife either. She clearly needed it and it doesn't take ninja training to figure out how to stab a man in the junk.

As for a single gunshot- I can hand wave that. It could've been anything.

I do think it was Richard watching them from behind the trees in the last shot. Which is blah.