Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 1/20/2017 at 4:59 AM, Queena said:

My favorite show Web of Lies returns soon. That's one of the best shows on ID. 

It's my favorite too.   I love the bloodless, deadpan delivery of the narrators.

My second favorite show is "Fear Thy Neighbor."

Lately I've been liking "Murder Calls" which has the feel of "Web of Lies" and doesn't stray too far from the truth (other than casting actors who look waaay better than the actual individuals).

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I've got a lot yet to see.  My favorite is still See No Evil.  I love the surveillance tape ones.

That's another good one.   A common denominator among my favorite shows is that they use documentary evidence (vs. lingerie) to advance the plot and solve the crime (internet logs, security cam footage, 911 calls).

• Love 11

I saw this on change.org:

We, the undersigned monsters of filmland call on Investigation Discovery and its subsidiary shows to cease and desist describing every garden variety serial killer, wife-beater, child molester, kidnapper, peeping tom and bad neighbor as "a monster."

As actual monsters, we freely admit that we have crushed whole cities beneath our feet, terrified countless villagers, sucked gallons of blood, caused nightmares, and instilled fear at every turn, sometimes with nothing more than a glimpse of our loathsome countenances.   But we have never engaged in the kind of ugly, brutal, sexually-themed violence routinely displayed by the so-called "monsters" featured in the needlessly drawn-out docudramas that comprise the bulk of Investigation Discovery's programming.   We do not knowingly hurt children or set women on fire.   We have never stuffed bodies in car trunks or chopped them up and packaged them in freezer bags.   We have never discarded our victims like trash in whatever body of water happens to be nearby.

True monsters are the product of fiction and folklore, not parental abuse or sociopathic impulses.   This distinction must not be lost or compromised.    From the hills of Transylvania to the shores of the Black Lagoon, we call on Investigation Discovery to immediately stop maligning the monster population by conflating the cruel, selfish exploits of vile criminals with our long, proud history of going bump in the night.   To do any less would be, in a word, monstrous.

(signed)

Godzilla, Rodan, Ghidrah, Mothra, Dracula, The Wolfman, Frankenstein, King Kong, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Cat People, The Mummy, The Leech Woman, etc.

;) 

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

I think Murder Calls would interest me more if they weren't playing the Weepy Voiced Killer in every damned commercial. I hate that dude almost as much for his voice as for the murders he committed. Hated him way back when he was still an open case on Unsolved Mysteries. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I think Murder Calls would interest me more if they weren't playing the Weepy Voiced Killer in every damned commercial. I hate that dude almost as much for his voice as for the murders he committed. Hated him way back when he was still an open case on Unsolved Mysteries. 

Hint: Don't go around the house talking in a Weepy Voiced Killer voice after seeing that episode.   It annoys people, lol.  Don't talk, just listen.   I can't find my caaaaaaar keys!   I know I put them on the counter but now they're gooooone!

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9
37 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Did anyone watch the latest A Crime To Remember about John Linley Frazier? That creeped me out when they showed he had shaved half his face.

Yes, one of our 1970 threesome of serial killers in Santa Cruz.  Along with Kemper and Mullin, it was a bad year for hitch-hikers.  I must say, though, it was terrific to see the Catalyst again!

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, millennium said:

A common denominator among my favorite shows is that they use documentary evidence (vs. lingerie)

It almost seems actionable when you present some innocent person as a possible slut/killer/whatever in the "could it be" scenarios.

• Love 4
On 1/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, azshadowwalker said:

This! I was coming to post something along these lines. Enough with his voice and that commercial! I haven't been able to watch a second episode because of the commercials. So glad that I blocked seeing it on Unsolved Mysteries. 

ID which has been my saving grace since the election, has cleared the entire On Demand lineup. My only option is that O.J. Crap. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Queena said:

ID which has been my saving grace since the election, has cleared the entire On Demand lineup. My only option is that O.J. Crap. 

So what your really saying is that the On Demand lineup has been cleared out completely? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Queena said:

What about TLC crap?  A&E.  Last night, when my rage threatened to boil over, I watched a 2-hour Hoarders, and slept well.  Of course I'd taped it a bit earlier.
My DVR is always what saves me, in I have about 40  or 50 Mike Holmes shows to fall back on.  When the world is going to hell, Mike Holmes saves a little part of it.  (Yeah, I know, it's a Canadian part.)
Killing Fields shows up on Discovery, and A&E has Nightwatch & First 48, which can be as depressing as the election.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

So what your really saying is that the On Demand lineup has been cleared out completely? 

It was, it's back now. They've added a lot of new programs, there are 75 to choose from! I think that I caught them in the middle of changing their lineup. 

911 Calls is very good. Chilling. 

• Love 2

About 5 minutes into last night's Shadow of Doubt I realized it was yet another "re-do" of the story about the horrific murder of 2 young girls.  In the fairly recent past, it was featured on Murder Comes To Town.  I watched it even though I knew the outcome, but learned nothing new.  Say what you will about Paula Zahn, but I recall reading an article about her show that stated she carefully chooses her stories to insure they haven't been done before.  Of course, I still can only watch the first 10 minutes of her shows, then fast-forward to the last 10 minutes due to .... well, you guys know.  I must admit, tho, I think she's slightly better this season -- maybe she's reading this forum? 

• Love 3

Well, it looks like I won't be able to use my electric snow blower from QVC. We've only had 4 inches of snow in Philadelphia and it might be in the 60's next week. I don't have a treadmill so I guess I'll hang my clothes on it.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

About 5 minutes into last night's Shadow of Doubt I realized it was yet another "re-do" of the story about the horrific murder of 2 young girls.  In the fairly recent past, it was featured on Murder Comes To Town.  I watched it even though I knew the outcome, but learned nothing new. 

Did they go into the DNA evidence more on MCTT?  I thought it was kind of strange that the police/DA were dismissive about the DNA evidence on the girls not matching Sweat, and the profiler in Shadow of Doubt seemed to completely disagree with the police that he was the murderer (at least, that was my impression especially when he was talking about the police theory on the bullet traveling under Taylor's shorts or some such nonsense).

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, ButterQueen said:

ID is killing me with the repetitive viewings of the same shows.  : (

And in the same 24 hour period of time!  For those of us that cannot sleep, I often find myself angry that the episode that aired at 10p.m. is the same one at 1a.m.  Mix it up!

I'm also loving "I, Witness" (similar to "Murder Lives Here") - really intense.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, TheGreenWave said:

Did they go into the DNA evidence more on MCTT?  I thought it was kind of strange that the police/DA were dismissive about the DNA evidence on the girls not matching Sweat, and the profiler in Shadow of Doubt seemed to completely disagree with the police that he was the murderer (at least, that was my impression especially when he was talking about the police theory on the bullet traveling under Taylor's shorts or some such nonsense).

Ya know, that's a very good question, Greenwave.  I didn't recall any mention that they were molested on the MCTT episode ... I just remembered it as being a drive-by shooting, but my memory's not the greatest.  I, also, found it strange that the DNA did not match Sweat. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

And in the same 24 hour period of time!  For those of us that cannot sleep, I often find myself angry that the episode that aired at 10p.m. is the same one at 1a.m.  Mix it up!

I'm also loving "I, Witness" (similar to "Murder Lives Here") - really intense.

PREACH--!!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

Ya know, that's a very good question, Greenwave.  I didn't recall any mention that they were molested on the MCTT episode ... I just remembered it as being a drive-by shooting, but my memory's not the greatest.  I, also, found it strange that the DNA did not match Sweat. 

I can't remember if the profiler said it was one or two perpetrators, but, I did find it interesting that he insisted that the girls were targeted - not exactly a drive-by shooting scenario.  Plus, I didn't understand how he could shoot Taylor with one gun and then shoot Skyla with another, without one of them trying to run away while the other was being shot.  Seemed to me that two murderers made more sense.

8 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

Murder Lives Here

Oops - meant Evil Lives Here!

• Love 4

I can understand them suppressing the sexual angle for the benefit of family members' feelings, but I have NEVER heard of this evidence before, and the case was relatively local to me.  And if it was factually true that a) there was sperm on the girls, and b) it didn't match the suspect, how on earth did he get convicted?  I find it hard to believe an 11 yr old and a 13 yr old were having sexual escapades, having read their histories, etc.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I can understand them suppressing the sexual angle for the benefit of family members' feelings, but I have NEVER heard of this evidence before, and the case was relatively local to me.  And if it was factually true that a) there was sperm on the girls, and b) it didn't match the suspect, how on earth did he get convicted?  I find it hard to believe an 11 yr old and a 13 yr old were having sexual escapades, having read their histories, etc.

I have seen cops and prosecutors do this before. Some of them still claim that the Central Park Five were involved in the jogger's attack despite both the confession and DNA contradicting that scenario. 

On to other things, I just watched A Crime to Remember about the rape and murder of Kitty Genovese. I had never watched the entire episode. It spent the last five minutes making excuses for the people who didn't pick up the phone and call for help or go to help her when she screamed for help. The newspapers were unfair, claiming she was attacked three times, they say. It was only twice, they assure us. Maybe if it had taken him three times to slaughter her someone would have acted, I guess. Excuses for the couple who blew it off because they thought someone else would. Unimportant nitpicking over how they knew 38 people ignored her cries for help.  (Because 38 witnesses were interviewed, assholes.) The worst was the one for the dude who opened the door, saw her lying in a pool of her own blood being raped, and turned around, shut the door and walked away. He was "probably" gay and the cops might have harassed him, they told us, so no one should judge him. Then, they tried to absolve them by using the heroism of the one small woman who did search for her, held her as she lay dying, and demanded that the "probably gay" dude FINALLY call police.  Dead woman. Raped woman. No one cared. But we must not judge. Not then, and not now. The episode was ruined by that awful editorializing at the end. 

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Absolutely, Brat - you'd really have to suspend belief about either one of those girls being sexually active, especially after seeing the darling/heartbreaking pic of them in their cheerleading uniforms.  I did a couple Google searches after the program, but couldn't find any mention of rape...only about DNA (which I think of as re: under fingernails and from sperm).  Didn't they say in the program they found DNA on both girls' underwear?  And if that's true - as you state - how the hell could he be convicted if it wasn't a match?  The gun/shell casings - yes.  I'm just not buying the sexual assault aspect, but I could be wrong (hard as it is for me to admit :) ) 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Didn't they say in the program they found DNA on both girls' underwear?  And if that's true - as you state - how the hell could he be convicted if it wasn't a match? 

They did!!  Although, I can't remember - did they say the same DNA was on both girls or different on each?  And they said that Taylor was shot in the hip, but that there was no bullet hole in her shorts where the bullet would have entered (the unlikely scenario as described by the profiler was that the police argued that the bullet somehow went under the shorts), also indicating assault (not a straight up drive-by).  Of course, since he pleaded guilty with no trial, there was no evidence to be presented against him to evaluate.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I have never been a fan of Snapped, so I hope the shows are better than that. The Jury Speaks looks interesting. I remember the HBO documentary about the juror in the O.J. civil case. If it's like that, it could be very good. 

It was called "juror #5" and I agree, it was very good! 

• Love 5

A long time ago, I liked Snapped. IIRC it used to be a half hour show, and I thought some of the cases were interesting, or at least presented in an interesting way.

Those days are so over. Now and then I tune in to see an episode that's new, or new to me, but almost inevitably it's yet another sad/sordid/stupid story, dragged out for an hour-long episode. With the same old same old narration style. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, auntjess said:

I've looked at what's on Oxygen, and it has a lot of NCIS, or one of those cop shows, but not true crime.
I did see they had Snapped.  Isn't that on Reelz a lot too?

Auntjess - Three episodes of Snapped is on Reelz Mon.-Fri., at least for the next couple weeks according to my Comcast schedule.  There's some true-crime stuff on there, too, but a whole lotta shit shows, infomercials, etc. 

• Love 3

I was disappointed in the Web of Lies episode last night - "People You May Know" about the single mother looking for love on Facebook & finds a good-looking former model she's interested in with whom they have "friends in common."  Okay...I've never been on Facebook, but the first thought that occurred to me was -- I'd be on the phone calling the mutual friends who know this guy to get some inside information about him.  But nooooo....that doesn't happen.  WTF!?  She seemed fairly intelligent, too - studying to be a respiratory therapist. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

I was disappointed in the Web of Lies episode last night - "People You May Know" about the single mother looking for love on Facebook & finds a good-looking former model she's interested in with whom they have "friends in common."  Okay...I've never been on Facebook, but the first thought that occurred to me was -- I'd be on the phone calling the mutual friends who know this guy to get some inside information about him.  But nooooo....that doesn't happen.  WTF!?  She seemed fairly intelligent, too - studying to be a respiratory therapist. 

I would be calling my friends in a heartbeat to find out how they knew him, etc.  She SEEMED intelligent, but boy howdy!  she was sure stoopid when it came to trusting complete strangers.  That man not only created a persona out of whole cloth, he worked it out perfectly so it seemed he actually existed.  AND he had kidnapped a little boy 3 years earlier as his cover!  Too bad he didn't put his intelligence into making a more positive life.  Now he is doing Life in an OK prison.  And he raped at least 11 women.

• Love 4

Re Web of Lies, I really felt for these victims, and the rapist is where he belongs for the rest of his life. But while others may mock me for watching my crazy true crime shows, maybe more people need to watch as well because apparently there's adults who don't know it's not a great idea to go alone to someone's house you've never actually met in person and then do shots with their buddy, yikes!

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

I didn't feel sorry for her one bit.   I don't want to be accused of blaming the victim but if you ask me she demonstrated extreme recklessness and vast amounts of stupidity.

She willingly entered a complete stranger's apartment, stuck around for hours even after it became apparent that "Cory" wasn't going to show (and was in fact treating her like garbage by messaging that he was busy playing video games with his friends while she sat there waiting).   Nobody knows she's there (as far as I could tell), nevertheless this SINGLE MOTHER remains in the stranger's house and DOES VODKA SHOTS with him until midnight.   Then she passes out (because he dosed one of her shots with GHB) and wakes up raped in his bed, but we're supposed to be shocked by this?   She's lucky she didn't wake up dead.

The only satisfaction came from learning that the predator got life in prison. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, millennium said:

I didn't feel sorry for her one bit.   I don't want to be accused of blaming the victim but if you ask me she demonstrated extreme recklessness and vast amounts of stupidity.

The only satisfaction came from learning that the predator got life in prison. 

My sentiments, exactly, Millennium, which is why I said in my earlier post she "seemed fairly intelligent."  Reminds me of a quote I once read:  "Ya know that tingly little feeling when you like someone?  That's common sense leaving your body."   

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, Maizie131 said:

About 5 minutes into last night's Shadow of Doubt I realized it was yet another "re-do" of the story about the horrific murder of 2 young girls.  In the fairly recent past, it was featured on Murder Comes To Town

I saw the discussion of DNA, and finally watched it last night.  (My DVR overfloweth.) 
It's baffling, and don't know why the prosecution isn't worried about it.
Does the title Shadow of Doubt, mean that they'll be covering cases of this ilk?  If so, I'm out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

So far today, I have seen every episode of every show on ID.....multiple times.  : ((

A&E?  There's First 48, and I love Nightwatch.
Forensic Files on HLN can be rewatched, and sometimes the put in a different batch.

• Love 1