Type keyword(s) to search

The ID Channel: Investigation Discovery

Jeeves
  • Start Topic

So now this is "The Business of Networks" forum, and we're not supposed to discuss the content of programming here. See the mod note at the top of the "Business of Networks" main page.

There's a General True Crime Shows topic over in the Genre forum. I assume we can take this discussion over there now, except for shows with their own forums, such as Homicide Hunter (Joe Kenda). 

Edited to add this part of the mod note I linked to above:

This forum is to discuss the business side of the television networks. Not what happens on the networks.

What does this mean, you wonder?

This entails topics pertaining to general industry news, network logo changes, and hiring and firing of TV personalities. This does NOT include actual show content. That would go into the show's own forum or, if more general, would be better suited for the Genre Talk thread.

We believe this will benefit both posters and admin as there is now a clearer expectation of what the board allows within this forum and what is not.

I don't think ID hires or fires "TV personalities." The "personalities" on ID are the people who appear in the various shows. So if ID picks up or cancels a show, it might be "business." But we can't discuss the show content here. IMO, this forum seems more suited to the news channels, sports channels (ESPN etc.), and Hollywood celebrity-stalking channels like E!. Obviously that's just IMO, and any clarifications should be requested by PM to the moderator of the forum. Who ISN"T me, lol!

See ya over at True Crime Shows in the Genre Talk place. BTW, I think that the discussions on the MSNBC and other news channels, got too ferociously political, which led to those topics being scrubbed, and this "just business" announcement. Again, just IMO. 

• Love 3

Thanks, Jeeves.

There are also subforums/threads for Dateline, 48 Hours, 20/20, and I'm sure others, located in the main A-Z "HomePage" forum.

I'm guessing we can discuss the personalities on the ID shows, like Kenda etc. 

I don't know how discussions on their original programming work.

1 hour ago, tobeannounced said:

Now I'm confused because I just read a post to never mind about the business of networks stuff.  So is it back to business as usual in this thread?  I hope so.

That's my understanding!

I think we're again OK'd to discuss here the content of shows on the ID network. Although the whole discussion has been moved over to General True Crime Shows on the Genre forum.

Here's what I think happened. The topics for various news channels (CNN, et al.) were becoming very heated (and probably occasionally overheated and ugly) about politics, as is the way of things in a big election season. So TPTB thought the antidote, and a way to shut down the political excesses, would be to make this topic about the "biz" of channels, as in who's hired/fired/promoted on the anchor desk, commentators, etc. However, that model only works for news channels since genre-channels like ID don't hire or fire on-air personalities. TPTB revisited the situation and created a different solution by moving discussions, etc., and posting the new Mod notice at the top of this topic.

Like a fool, just after the "network biz only" announcement, I posted a comment suggesting that we could continue to discuss the ID shows over on the True Crime topic. And TPTB decided to move the whole discussion over there. Which wasn't what I had in mind. But anyway, all our posts from this topic are over at General True Crime, which is probably fine. 

• Love 1
On 1/30/2017 at 7:39 PM, ButterQueen said:

ID is killing me with the repetitive viewings of the same shows.  : (

21 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

And in the same 24-hour period of time! For those of us that cannot sleep, I often find myself angry that the episode that aired at 10 p.m. is the same one at 1 a.m. Mix it up!

Isn't that because ID only has a single feed? That 1 a.m. repeat on the east coast is 10 p.m. on the west.

20 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

Isn't that because ID only has a single feed? That 1 a.m. repeat on the east coast is 10 p.m. on the west.

You know, I'm not sure (admittedly, I'm not sure what "single feed" means!!).  Like last night, watched Lt. Joe, Ice Cold Killers, and then the Detectives Club, and after Detectives Club aired, the next show was the same Lt. Joe episode.

So do our show title suggestions still exist?  That was great fun.
And I watch almost everything from my DVR, so I'm happy for repeated showings, as I work to fit all my shows in, and still leave a stream for someone to watch TV in real time.

• Love 1

I occasionally watch shows on this network- Dateline repeats mostly. I rarely watch that Kenda show.  He creeps me out to be honest!  But I did see one episode from start to finish a few months ago...a young woman was strangled, assaulted &  killed in a park.  The other night, my insomnia kicked in so I turned on ID....it was Kenda and the park case.  Then yesterday I was tired of listening to music so I flipped on ID....Kenda and the park case.  I guess it's a good thing there aren't enough murders and attacks to warrant many new shows, but I'm over all the constant repeats.  Plus, the amount of ads on this channel wear me out.  If it isn't a pharma ad for some ailment, it's an ad for the same ID show over and over.

In the See No Evil show from Philadelphia, and on other occasions, they always have to wait until the store or bank or whatever opens, to see the video.
I'd think in an active kidnapping case, you could find the owner/manager, and get that person to come in and show the video.
Don't stores still have emergency contact numbers on the door?  Haven't looked lately, but they used to.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/23/2017 at 1:01 AM, auntjess said:

In the See No Evil show from Philadelphia, and on other occasions, they always have to wait until the store or bank or whatever opens, to see the video.
I'd think in an active kidnapping case, you could find the owner/manager, and get that person to come in and show the video.
Don't stores still have emergency contact numbers on the door?  Haven't looked lately, but they used to.

I thought the same thing!  I mean, WTH?  I worked at a Police dept once and we had after hour emergency phone numbers for most businesses inside the city. 

I am so into this station. I watch it way too much.  I recently spoke with an old friend who was doing the same thing. What's up with this stuff?  lol

Once thing that does bother me is the narration of a couple of shows like Prescription for Murder and another one that I can't recall.  The narrator tried to be funny with a play on words.  Come on.  This is a murder documentary.  Comical wordplay is not really appropriate.  And they did about one a minute.  So lame.  For example, if the killer was a dishwasher, they would describe him as getting into "hot water" with the police.  I mean they took it to another level.  Who would have thought that was a clever idea? lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

I just saw a commercial for wineclubid.com:

In addition to great wines from around the world, ID Wine Club members will also enjoy a selection of collectible wines based on your favorite Investigation Discovery shows and personalities, such as Joe Kenda’s ‘My, My, My Merlot!’

Fun, collectable, and deliciously mysterious—these Investigation Discovery themed wines are the perfect partners in crime to watch with your favorite ID shows.

• Love 1

Man, that story brought tears to my eyes. My heart went out to Jeff's dad, and Brook. I can't even begin to imagine that kind of pain and terror and heartache. I'm glad for Mr. Paskill's sake, and that of the public at large, that he didn't wind up going through with his plan, but I certainly don't blame him for getting to that point with his anger. 

I felt for the detective working the case, too. I honestly don't know how those people manage to deal with some of the horrific crime scenes they encounter throughout their job. Ye gods. 

I did like hearing Brook talk about how she managed to escape, though, and her courage in testifying at the trial. And I like that Jeff's parents were an inspiration for her in regards to her own strength. I wish them all well going forward, and hope they continue to find all the peace and comfort they need. 

Also, Gary's video was incredibly weird and creepy. 

• Love 2

Brook is my new hero!  I was stunned by her courage and strength in the face of the obvious heartache.  Her gesturing and saying "no, keep going, I'm ok" was inspiring, to say the least.

• Love 3

They've also been covering some of the same cases as Oxygen around the same time.  There's the series on Oxygen with Natalee Holloway's Father trying to follow "new" leads in his daughter's disappearance that premiered the same night as a one hour different show on ID, then each network had a show about Drew Peterson.  I haven't seen anything about Oxygen having a show about Chandra Levy, but ID has one this week. A lot of the same stuff, over and over.  

• Love 3

Don't forget Laci Peterson. They are repeating that one again. I only caught the last 30 minutes of the Natalee Holloway program and just watched the Chandra Levy documentary last night. Other than hearing that one guy admit to digging up and helping to cremate Natalee's body, there was nothing new from these two programs. 

I haven't watched the Laci Peterson one and don't plan to.  I've caught various parts of the Natalee Holloway programs and while I hope her parents will find out someday the real truth regarding what really happened to their daughter, I think the chances of that are pretty slim to none.  That guy they're monitoring in that room over the course of a few episodes is a real piece of work.  

The cable channels rehashing all of this old news plus other stuff is making me rethink my cable subscription but that's a topic for another forum here.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I haven't watched the Laci Peterson one and don't plan to.  I've caught various parts of the Natalee Holloway programs and while I hope her parents will find out someday the real truth regarding what really happened to their daughter, I think the chances of that are pretty slim to none.  That guy they're monitoring in that room over the course of a few episodes is a real piece of work.  

The cable channels rehashing all of this old news plus other stuff is making me rethink my cable subscription but that's a topic for another forum here.  

Yeah, what's going on with all this stuff? Extreme 90's nostalgia? These things have been cooked and overcooked for the past 20 years. Enough already.

• Love 2

Was watching a crime story about Betty Broderick last night (don't remember what show)

Damn! he traded Betty in for a younger/thinner/version of herself. Dan was 44/45 when he married 28 yr old Linda. He totally threw that in Betty's face.

I know that Betty gave birth to 4 children but she totally let herself go.  She was very very fat. JMO

Edited by stillhere1900

The commercials on this channel are making it almost unwatchable live. Most recently it is the Jodi Arias three-day special commercials, with her doing her handstand, singing and giggling like a loon. Every commercial break, sometimes twice during each break, that murderous waste of oxygen is shown. There is not three hours worth of material with her; after stalking and attempting to blackmail him about having sex with her, expecting that it would result in him continuing to date her and take him with her on his trip, she butchered him for not wanting her. The only part of her entire story that is worth hearing from her mouth is the story where she blames ninjas; it's absurd to a level of hilarity. 

What's rarely ever mentioned in the shows about her, which I admit to avoiding because they are all the same and I think she, like MacDonald, gets a perverse pleasure out of knowing that people are watching shows about her, is that she had made plans to go camping with some men, rented a car for the trip, was fortunately arrested before she made it, and a gun was found hidden under the hood when it was undergoing maintenance. It wasn't the gun that killed Travis but was linked to her, and was more proof that she wasn't done killing. She is broken trash who needs to be swept away and forgotten.

Long rant aside, that isn't the only commercial that has me refusing to watch the channel live. I'm beginning to suspect that they don't actually want to make their shows look interesting. It's bad enough that they recycle the same stories for every show, make slight edits to episodes of past shows and rename them as brand new shows, but the commercials make the upcoming shows look dull, annoying or just unwatchable. Gone and People Investigates are exceptions for me, with both of them having me looking forward to the episodes. I do hope Gone is picked up for more episodes; I don't think I saw any of those stories before that show. 

TL:DR - ID's commercials are ire inducing, turning me into a future Deadly Woman, and Jodi Arias needs to become a forgotten memory for everyone other than Travis' loved ones. 

• Love 3

Does anyone know if A Crime to Remember is coming back? One of my favorite shows on this network. 

I'll admit to watching all their specials. The Dating Game killer and Macdonald were interesting but I could have done without Arias or Peterson. They are too recent and too much in the public consciousness. 

• Love 2
On 1/12/2018 at 6:03 PM, Christina said:

Jodi Arias needs to become a forgotten memory for everyone other than Travis' loved ones. 

Just imagine if she HAD gotten the death penalty.  She would still be on the news every day, all her loony fans attending all the appeal hearings, etc.  LWOP is SO much more satisfying. 

• Love 2
On 1/17/2018 at 3:59 AM, hkit said:

Does anyone know if A Crime to Remember is coming back? One of my favorite shows on this network. 

I'll admit to watching all their specials. The Dating Game killer and Macdonald were interesting but I could have done without Arias or Peterson. They are too recent and too much in the public consciousness. 

Yes, it is returning in February.  I’m hoping Web of Lies and Disappeared returns.  They are my favorites. 

• Love 1

ID Channel... I am a devoted fan and watch most of your crime shows.  It would pain me, but if you do NOT stop showing those horrible commercials that show a snow leopard crippled in a trap, I will reluctantly stop watching.  ENOUGH!

• Love 3

I discovered this channel recently (yeah, I know, where have I been?) and I am absolutely hooked on every damn show. The series of cults is absolutely riveting. I saw the one about Tony Alamo's cult last night. Religious fervor certainly does produce some sickos. This guy was bedding 12-year-old girls because God said it was OK to do so. And he thought his dead wife would be resurrected so he kept her coffin in his living room for six months. He blamed his congregation for not praying hard enough for her return from the beyond.

• Love 3

I watched the show about cults last night too.  They described some pretty weird and twisted stuff. 

I don’t remember anymore how long ago I discovered Investigation Discovery but it’s on my short list of go-to channels.  

Last Saturday they showed a new episode of “Fear thy Neighbor” about this dispute going on between these 2 families that lived next door to each other that ended up with the instigator neighbor shooting and killing the guy next door only because the shooter knew how to push the neighbor guy’s buttons to get him to fight.   With these things the justice served usually is right (IMO) but not this time.   I was angry at the eventual outcome.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

This guy was bedding 12-year-old girls because God said it was OK to do so. 

The thing that got me about that part of things was that he was talking about planning to marry young girls while he was in jail for some other crime, and he was kissing the girls who came to see him in prison. I was sitting here like, "Shouldn't that have maybe tipped off the prison officials as odd somehow, or shouldn't all the stuff with him talking about planning to wed 12, 13 year old girls have been brought to investigators' attention so they could try and find a way to keep him in prison longer?" When people plot murders from behind bars, they often get caught for that and get that added to their prison sentence, so it's odd that a guy plotting to marry young girls wasn't apparently noticed by anyone before he got let out. Maybe if somebody had tried to put a stop to his plans beforehand, they could've spared those poor girls the hell they later went through (Pebbles telling her story about her "marriage" was....ye gods. Gutwrenching).

And he thought his dead wife would be resurrected so he kept her coffin in his living room for six months. He blamed his congregation for not praying hard enough for her return from the beyond.

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, that was beyond creepy. "After six months or so, the coffin began to smell." Gee, ya don't say? 

• Love 3
On 2/3/2019 at 8:41 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I like how they have Season/Holiday themed murder shows now. Tonight is Football themed for the Super Bowl. LOL

This weekend was "Memorial Day Murder!" 

I find myself keeping this channel on in the background on my work-from-home days. Why can't I stop watching? 

• Love 2

I watched an episode from Evil Lives Here about Theresa Knorr, who murdered two of her daughters and forced her other children to assist in the disposal of their bodies. One daughter, Suesan, tried to get outside help and for that, she was handcuffed to a kitchen table for years. She was shot by one of her sisters, after her mother told her to shoot her if she moved, and somehow survived the gunshot without actual professional medical help. After recuperating from the wound, she was handcuffed to the table again and begged her mother to let her go. Her mother eventually relented, but insisted that the bullet that had been in her since the GSW be removed. This was done at home, and Suesan was left on the floor of the kitchen for weeks in a coma, until it was assumed she died and the mother forced her older son to burn the body and her meager belongings. A second daughter was locked in a closet until she (presumably) died of thirst and starvation. This episode is going to haunt me for a long, long time.

• Love 2

ID is airing a three hour documentary Doomsday: The Missing Children.  It's the story of JJ Vallow and Tyree Ryan and follows JJ's grandparents working tirelessly to find out what happened to the kids.

I give the grandparents a lot of credit for pushing this investigation until the kids were found. 

But this is a hot mess and if Laurie Vallow and her husband Chad Daybell walk free (a la Casey Anthony), it is going to terribly sad.

I saw this the other night. First heard the story on "Dateline" earlier this year*. It's beyond insane and horrifying. And you need a friggin' chart to keep up with who all's connected to whom here. 

I think if Lori and Chad were to walk free, there'd be a riot. I imagine they will get charged with something and spend some amount of time behind bars. 

*I remember there was a follow-up "Dateline" where Keith Morrison was interviewing a friend of Lori's, and she'd started discussing the weird beliefs Lori was getting into, with all the talk of zombies and whatnot. Keith had this amazing side-eye going on during that conversation. 

• Love 2

The Trials That Changed Us doc series is pretty interesting. I missed the first 1 or 2 episodes because I didn't see a press release for it but managed to catch up via reruns. It's on Wednesdays at 10pm and about over. It's 8 episodes and catches up on the cases of Andrea Yates (absolute heartbreaker), the Atlanta Olympic Bombing, the McMartin Preschool Trial (what a mess that one was), the Menendez Brothers, Selena's murder, the Nanny Trial, Patty Hearst, and Rodney King. It also includes what was learned and what was changed as a result of those trials.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I've been watching that series, too. A couple of these cases were fairly new to me, because I knew little to nothing about them, so it was interesting to get the details. The McMartin case was one where I knew the general idea of it, but not the full story, so that one was quite interesting. And yes, very messy indeed, to say the least. And the nanny trial case I'd never heard of at all, which seems a bit odd, considering I was in my early teens when that one happened. Maybe I just missed the news about it or something. 

6 hours ago, DanaK said:

catches up on the cases of Andrea Yates (absolute heartbreaker)

I can't believe it's been nearly twenty years since that happened already. That one I absolutely remember being all over the news. Just a true tragedy the entire way around. 

• Love 1

So I was amped to see a new season of See No Evil start last week, because that's my favorite show on the network, only to discover I can only see the rest of the season if I subscribe to Discovery's new streaming site!? I've also noticed they're showing fewer originals on tv in favor of premiering them on Discovery+! This begs the question: is this a short-term strategy in order to boot sales for a fledgling streaming service or is this the new norm? Because I can't see what would be the point in keeping the linear network alive with a schedule full of reruns! Has anyone heard anything?

• Love 3

I'm wondering about that, too. I'm hoping it's just a short term experiment, 'cause yeah, the idea of having to subscribe to a streaming service just to see new episodes of stuff that used to air on a channel I already have is annoying and stupid as hell. There's episodes of shows on that channel that I've yet to see because they were only available on the Discovery site. They haven't even uploaded those episodes to the ID website. 

• Love 5

If they think I'm going to subscribe to one more streaming service just to watch ID shows they are out of their minds. I subscribe to six as it is and that is my limit. Most of the shows Discovery + has I not only don't watch but find repulsive. And the nonstop commercials for their new streaming service are driving me nuts.

The only new shows I can see on ID any more are Fear Thy Roommate and....not sure what else. They have some 'new' shows that are old episodes of series that are repackaged under a new episode title but that's about it. There are a few Oxygen shows that are actually new air but ID is just a wasteland of reruns and if I liked them I've already seen them. Since I pay for cable to get ID I don't see any way I would pay a second time to get new shows.  See No Evil was not the only "Discovery+ First Look" episode to play this month. But I refuse to pay to see my favorite ID shows. If they won't air them on the regular channel then I'll have to get along without them.

Six streaming services !!  I have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Britbox, Acorn, and PBS Masterpiece. I cannot fathom why I would add Discovery+ just so i could watch a pile of trash TV and a few good shows from Disco and ID. The whole thing just pisses me off.

• Love 8

I thought I would bump up this thread for discussion purposes if need be. The newest season of Deadly Women started recently, and there are other shows on as well. Luckily, the new series' do seem to be migrating to the main network even if they started on Discovery Plus, so there's that, at least.

• Love 3