Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg!  I think I recall this from Unsolved Mysteries.  The child was found in my state!  

https://people.com/crime/illinois-girl-missing-since-2017-found-store-owner-recognized-her-unsolved-mysteries/

I live in Asheville. Local media is going crazy reporting on this. Can't say I remember hearing about her but I watch so many true crime shows I can't say I would have been able to spot her. Good on the employee!

• Like 5

I'm so happy she was found alive and all right. It's also great to see something from Unsolved Mystery solved. I'm amazed the store clerk was able to recognize her after all these years. That's amazing.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm so happy she was found alive and all right. It's also great to see something from Unsolved Mystery solved. I'm amazed the store clerk was able to recognize her after all these years. That's amazing.

It really is.  Now, that story deserves a follow up episode!  

• Like 2

Sorry I don't remember what franchise/episode I was watching, but I just hate it when a good man lets his domineering wife ruin his life, and then of course he gets killed for his trouble.  In this one, a cop took on a second job doing security, and that still wasn't enough to provide enough money for his wife to buy all the stuff she wanted.  So he was borrowing from people.  Truthfully, I have no patience for a man who would actually do that, rather than either divorce her or put his foot down and tell the beeyotch to go get her own job.  But that doesn't mean he deserves to die because he was too accommodating. 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Sorry I don't remember what franchise/episode I was watching, but I just hate it when a good man lets his domineering wife ruin his life, and then of course he gets killed for his trouble.  In this one, a cop took on a second job doing security, and that still wasn't enough to provide enough money for his wife to buy all the stuff she wanted. 

I watched it too, but don't see it on the DVR, so I guess my sister's already watches it too.

(edited)
On 5/17/2023 at 1:17 AM, andromeda331 said:

I saw a law enforcement officer yesterday on tv who said there was another customer in the store who had known the child years ago, who actually recognized the girl and told the clerk to call 911. That differs from the initial story that the clerk recognized her.  So, I guess the actual story will eventually come out.  Either way, it’s amazing.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4

Someone upthread mentioned this show and I just had a chance to watch a couple of episodes.  It’s called Missing: Dead or Alive.  It’s found on Netflix.  It has to be one of the best true crime shows I’ve ever seen.  I can’t say enough about it!  Really good.  Lots of twist and turns…..very well done.  I wish there was a thread for it.  I might start one.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

Okay, I’m going to go out on a limb (pardon the pun) and say that this is the MOST bizarre murder case ever in this country.  It’s on Twisted Killers, on Oxygen. When I say bizarre, it’s bizarre.  And horrible!   The man murders 2 women and a child and abducts the teen girl that he takes to his home. There he keeps her in a house of leaves….leaves everywhere. He hides the bodies in a tree.  He has a fetish over trees, leaves, tree trunks, etc.  Here’s a link about it.  

https://www.oxygen.com/twisted-killers/crime-news/why-matthew-hoffman-is-known-as-leaf-killer

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2

Another head-scratcher about detectives.  Don't recall which franchise/episode, but a woman made a 9-1-1 call about a domestic violence situation and was taken to the ER.  A man was with her, who she said was her brother.  He stayed in there the whole time while they interviewed her, and she gave the name of the man she said had attacked her.  Well, guess what?  Turns out the man with her wasn't really her brother...it was her boyfriend, the abuser, but because he was in there the whole time, she didn't feel safe saying it was him. That should be part of basic training for domestic violence.

But I did see some good thinking by detectives.  Again, don't remember the franchise/episode.  Suspects had been captured on video, but no one recognized them.  I believe they used geo location to find which two phones had been at the location and making calls to each other, so they knew those were the phones of their two suspects.  But one of the phones was a burner phone that had been turned off because of not paying the bill, so they couldn't identify where it was being used to try to locate the guy.  So they got the idea to pay the bill and see if the person would start using the phone again...and it worked!  

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1

The recent See No Evil episode, "The Devil's Bathtub," broke my heart.  They did a great job setting it up, and something about seeing the store video with the guy's son as the one walking through the door and buying the shovel, just got to me.  I hope that mom burns in hell.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 4

My mom and I caught that episode, too, and my mom was amazed at how brazen and nonchalant they were while walking around in that store buying their murder items. 

She also immediately suspected the mom was in on everything early on in the episode. We've clearly watched too many true crime shows :p. 

• Like 2
  • Wink 2

The latest episode of City Confidential was heartbreaking. The case described the deaths of four young men in Pennsylvania. I was impressed that the police took their parents concerns seriously and didn't claim they ran away.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
12 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

The latest episode of City Confidential was heartbreaking. The case described the deaths of four young men in Pennsylvania. I was impressed that the police took their parents concerns seriously and didn't claim they ran away.

Yeah, it really was. Those poor boys. Their poor families. I agree it was nice that for once that the police took it seriously instead of claiming they ran away or they have to wait forty-eight hours to do something. That was even before they found out more boys were missing. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

What happened to the boys?

(edited)

Caught some more of Fear Thy Neighbor.  Omg, why on why do people think they have the right to allow their dogs to go on other people’s property?  Even after the neighbors complain, threats are made, people get bit, police are called, weapons displayed……STILL they let their dogs loose!  And, THEN they complain the guy lost it.  It boggles the mind.    

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

I'm sorry, but I hate this new style of airing the first "half" of a season of shows, waiting a few months, and then airing the next ten or so episodes - for someone like me that likes to record every episode of a season and binge-watch at the end, it's so very irritating. I have to try and guess when/if a season is over! 

First-world problem, I know, but - I have a system! 🤣

• Like 8
On 5/27/2023 at 1:41 AM, kathyk24 said:

On 5/27/2023 at 8:54 PM, kathyk24 said:

They were killed by a friend and buried on property belonging to his family.

What made it ten times more awful was that the killer was also a young man (age 19 or so?), and he was just completely cold, ruthless, and with no regret at all.  He intentionally lured the young men to their deaths. Three of the young men were buried on top of each other, their bodies just thrown into a big metal contraption that had been used as a pig roaster, and buried 12 feet under ground. 

The first episode of season 8 was also memorable, about the unidentified 'baby' found in the water in Boston.  It was really amazing to hear how much the community rallied around the unknown child.   It was also fascinating how much they were able to sleuth out about the clothes she was wearing. 

• Like 2
On 6/3/2023 at 10:12 AM, LuvMyShows said:

What made it ten times more awful was that the killer was also a young man (age 19 or so?), and he was just completely cold, ruthless, and with no regret at all.  He intentionally lured the young men to their deaths. Three of the young men were buried on top of each other, their bodies just thrown into a big metal contraption that had been used as a pig roaster, and buried 12 feet under ground. 

The first episode of season 8 was also memorable, about the unidentified 'baby' found in the water in Boston.  It was really amazing to hear how much the community rallied around the unknown child.   It was also fascinating how much they were able to sleuth out about the clothes she was wearing. 

I liked how the community rallied around for the child too. I hate that the mother got off immunity. She should have gone to jail too. 

• Like 1

What goes around, comes around.  In the A TIme to Kill episode "Highway to Hell", the police have a murder suspect, and he is a bad guy.  As part of the investigation into the gun that was used, and trying to link it to the suspect, they uncover that 18 years earlier the guy was pulled over in a traffic stop, and was asked the standard question of whether there was a weapon in the car.  He said there was a gun, that it was his father's, the police inspected it and made a notation about it (all was legal with the gun, I think).  So now, a routine traffic thing he had done 18 years earlier and that he probably didn't even remember, came back to bite him in the ass, since that same gun was indeed used in the murder he was a suspect in.  Karma's a bitch, dude.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)

My boyfriend's back!! With "The Real Murders of Orange County" back for another season, the previews had been teasing the appearance of Matt Murphy, Senior Deputy District Attorney for Orange County. Finally with episode 3, we saw him!  OK, maybe he doesn't actually know that he's my boyfriend, but why let reality get in the way of a great romance?! 😁

ETA: Looks like he's no longer in the DA business, and has gone into private practice...probably cashing in big time!

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Like 2
  • LOL 9

Also back, New York Homicide and Homicide for the Holidays. The first episode of NYH was a case I had seen before, the murder of Shele Covlin by her husband for her money. I though it had been on Forensic Files but couldn't find the episode. It was featured on 20/20 and Dateline NBC though, neither of which I generally watch. The husband, Rod Colvin, is a real piece of work. He staged it to look like an accident in the bathroom and there was initially no autopsy because she, and her family, are Orthodox and that is considered a violation of the body. It quickly became obvious the circumstances were suspicious and she was exhumed, the death was reclassified as a homicide. Unfortunately it still took years to actually arrest and prosecute the husband. They were divorcing and Shele had an appointment to change her will the day she was killed. He was playing backgammon games near-obsessively and cheating on her. Later, he considered killing his own parents and tried to set up his own daughter to confess to the killing to get his hands on the money. He was only arrested because he broke up with the girlfriend who had originally been his mistress when he killed Shele and she felt it would be safer to go to the police. 

Oh, there's a book too.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/18/2023 at 1:10 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Also back, New York Homicide and Homicide for the Holidays. The first episode of NYH was a case I had seen before, the murder of Shele Covlin by her husband for her money. The husband, Rod Colvin, is a real piece of work. He staged it to look like an accident in the bathroom 

Don't forget, he had the young daughter go in first, knowing full well what she was going to find, which is a typical move for these sh*ts.

Also, he apparently did not learn from the queen of 9-1-1 call gasping, Chacey Poynter, that it actually doesn't make your I-just-found-the-victim-and-I'm-so-shook call sound more convincing! 

• Like 5
(edited)
On 5/15/2023 at 3:25 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Recently, my brother and I were discussing some untimely deaths of various people and I asked, did they do an autopsy?  If a person is relatively young, no health issues,  no drug use, ……….I’d want an autopsy.   Apparently, other people don’t watch Dateline, like I do.  Lol. 

"Relatively young" IMO may be one of the big determinants re whether they do an autopsy. More below.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:28 PM, auntjess said:

I'd think that if a cause wasn't apparent, they'd do on automatically.

On 5/16/2023 at 6:38 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s my understanding that an unattended death by medical staff or someone who isn’t under Hospice or doctors’s care should get an autopsy, but I’m not sure if that is always followed.

On 5/16/2023 at 3:08 PM, oliviabenson said:

Sometimes there is no autopsy due to religious reasons!

I'm late to this party. Just now catching up on at least six weeks' worth of posts. If you want a real WTAF?? moment or two, I suggest you read this AARP investigative journalism piece about a serial killer who essentially ran amok in upscale Dallas TX retirement homes: https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2022/texas-elder-murders.html  Nearly two dozen elderly women were killed - they were pretty much all very active, physically and socially, until they were suddenly found dead. With plenty of clues that something wasn't right, pointed out by their loved ones and blown off by the cops and other authorities. No autopsies. They were old, they were gonna die, so what if thousands of dollars of valuable jewelry went missing in pretty much each case, nothing to see here, move right along. 

I haven't found a TV show about this, but the Oxygen network has a story online: https://www.oxygen.com/unsung-heroes/loved-ones-of-alleged-billy-chemirmir-victims-unite-to-secure-our-seniors-safety.  I wonder if any documentary series will take this one on. IMO the story places some big-money and I'm sure powerful companies - those running upscale retirement complexes - in a bad light. IMO they were casual as hell about security and apparently allergic to the idea of the cops actually investigating any sudden deaths of their residents. Money talks.

I've watched too many repeats of Dr. G: Medical Examiner, and I recall her saying that they don't often do autopsies on elderly people, as mostly they are under medical care or die from existing conditions that have been diagnosed (or words to that effect). They autopsy older folks when the death was unexpected or not explainable or, of course, suspicious. 

ETA: I've just remembered the 2009 murder of Bernice Novack in Florida. She was beaten and found dead at home in the garage. There was lots of blood at the scene. But she was old and it was initially ruled that she died because she accidentally fell getting out of her car. She was 87 years old. After her son was murdered a few months later, the cops took another look at her case and realized it was a homicide. (Duh.) It's not clear to me if there was an autopsy, but the Broward County Medical Examiner (coroner) changed his ruling from accidental death to homicide as the investigation went forward. 

Edited by Jeeves
Remembered something later. I do that a lot.
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
(edited)

I’ve recently caught up on Cold Case files on Netflix.  Most of these cases were solved with DNA, as the cases occurred mainly in the 70s and 80s, but the police preserved the evidence. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I'm late to this party. Just now catching up on at least six weeks' worth of posts. If you want a real WTAF?? moment or two, I suggest you read this AARP investigative journalism piece about a serial killer who essentially ran amok in upscale Dallas TX retirement homes: https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2022/texas-elder-murders.html  Nearly two dozen elderly women were killed - they were pretty much all very active, physically and socially, until they were suddenly found dead. With plenty of clues that something wasn't right, pointed out by their loved ones and blown off by the cops and other authorities. No autopsies. They were old, they were gonna die, so what if thousands of dollars of valuable jewelry went missing in pretty much each case, nothing to see here, move right along. 

As a member of the 55+ club I subscribe to the AARP magazine and read this article. Truly heartbreaking. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve recently caught up on Cold Case files on Netflix.  Most of these cases were solved with DNA, as the cases occurred mainly in the 70s and 80s, but the police preserved the evidence. 

I was just re-reading Joe Kenda's first book, I Will Find You. He isn't a big fan of much forensic evidence, including fingerprints. He even spends a few pages narrating a case  - not one of his - where the FBI got fingerprints very very wrong. (ETA that he doesn't say forensics are BS but just that they aren't magic and infallible and they're not as invaluable as we might think in making a case.) But he says:

The only forensic science that I truly love is that involving DNA evidence, which has been a remarkable boon to law enforcement.

--Kenda, Joe . I Will Find You (Homicide Hunter) (p. 145). Center Street. Kindle Edition. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
On 6/20/2023 at 12:51 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Also, he apparently did not learn from the queen of 9-1-1 call gasping, Chacey Poynter, that it actually doesn't make your I-just-found-the-victim-and-I'm-so-shook call sound more convincing! 

The EMT body can footage from her gasping is my favorite of all time. She’s (badly) gasping out her story  and the one EMT behind her is just looking at her and rolls his eyes. 

• Like 4

If you don't mind watching a show that is somewhat dated (2004), True Crime Network's "Interpol Investigates" is pretty good.  It's available on replay.  It covers crimes that took international cooperation to solve, and are different in nature than a lot of what we see on our "regular" true crime shows.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Paula Zahn shakes things up!  I was watching "Text, Lies, and Video", the most recent On the Case episode.  When they got to about 1/3 of the way through the episode, and started describing the first suspect, I thought to myself, "Well, we know it's not him, because that's not the pattern of this show.  They will introduce 2-3 suspects, then rule them out, and then start in with the real killer." So I was absolutely stunned when they started describing the first suspect, and kept describing him more, and he was the killer!

• Like 3

I know we have some "ATL Homicide" fans here, and one reason is because they inject personality into their narration. So I have to share one of the silly humorous Quinn and Vinnie sparks I came across while finishing up season 4.  They work inner city and encounter a lot of nicknames, so at one point they had encountered "Popcorn" and "Juice Man". So Quinn threw in an aside like, "Now that we've got something to eat and drink..."

But I have to voice my constant complaint, that Angelo Diaz as Quinn, has a temperament that is nothing like Quinn's!  Something interesting I learned about Velazquez is that he was fixing planes for Delta Airlines and was unsatisfied, and felt the law pulling, and took a 75% pay cut to join the Atlanta PD...his Delta coworkers thought he was crazy, but clearly it has worked out!

I also found it interesting that Velazquez said he’s spoken to officers who want to improve their interactions with victims after watching the show. “We have changed their opinion on how they act,” he said. “One officer said he had a bad attitude, but from watching us and how we present our cases and talk to families, he wants to try and change.” Even more interesting to me, Velazquez said that for most of the suspects and victims, they have never encountered someone in a suit talking respectfully to them and engaging with them like a peer. And apparently it really helps neighborhood folks warm up to them, and to just see another way, and also it makes them much more willing to talk. That pleasant, respectful attitude comes through on the show, but I had always wondered if it was real.

• Like 6

So many thoughts about the People Presents 2-parter on the Girl Scouts murder:

• First, how truly, truly awful for the parents. I was glad to see that Lori's parents are still together...in fact, they seem stronger because of each other, and it's great how they've tried to make positive change work from Lori's death.
  • Very glad he died in prison. Sounds like he was quite the escape artist and I was actually worried they were going to say that he had escaped again. But instead, hooray, they said he died.
  • He was a seriously evil monster...in a way, one of the worst I've ever heard of because of the deviousness in the pre-planning, like with the flashlight modifications.
  • So disconcerting that there were townspeople calling him a "good old boy", even with knowing his prior horrible convictions. I think it definitely was a case of circling the wagons for 'our own', and seizing onto any little thing to help reaffirm their point that he was not guilty, while dismissing the glaring evidence that didn't fit their narrative.
  • I wonder if the prosecution in the guy's trial was too dismissive of the defense's claims of planted evidence and insignificant evidence, and didn't address those claims properly to help the jury see the ridiculousness of them:  
  • ---- The point about how the photo of those women had to have been planted in the cave because it had already been left behind at the prison 4 years earlier?  Uh, the guy developed photos in the prison, and undoubtedly made more than one copy!
  • ---- The prosecution may not have done a good job countering the defense's assertion that because the hair and sperm issue couldn't narrow it down to one person, then it was meaningless.  The prosecution would need to first of all do a good job providing statistics to help the jury understand the rarity of the mutilated sperm thing.  And then, more importantly, help the jury understand that taken by themselves, the matching hair and the mutilated sperm may not seem to narrow down the suspect pool much, but in combination, it becomes far more rare and does help narrow down the pool.   
  • ---- And if the mythical "they" did decide to frame someone, it would not have been a strong-minded, slippery currently-escaped con...it would have been a weak, easily bull-dozeable, person who was present, and who could be quickly and easily railroaded through a trial and then convicted.  
  • ---- But ultimately, I think that once the concept of planted evidence was told to the jury, the case was lost because the jury could then dismiss in their minds the evidence of the matching tape marks from the pieces to the roll, and the plastic, as also being planted. Not sure how the jury could also dismiss the similarity of the MO to his previous rapes, but I guess once you've made up your mind for not guilty, you just keep justifying.
  • I really felt bad for the other existing mother (Denise's mom?), who even now is still waiting for one magic definitive beyond-all-possible-doubt-in-the-universe proof.  
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4

Just discovered that ID has season 4 of Forensic Files II. Two things to comment on from the first 4 episodes:

In "The Maidenwater Murder", there was a 20-year cold case of a woman who had been murdered but never identified.  And as time passed, the case had made its way into the true crime world.  For years they had only publicized a drawing of the woman, because her body had been pretty mutilated. Finally they decided to release the actual photo of her face, which had been left pretty much untouched, other than looking a little bruised.  One of the amateur true crime sleuths put her description and photo in the NamUs database (National Missing and Unidentified Persons System), and it gave her about 8 possible matches.  She thought one of the matches was a good possibility, and especially when she found that the dead woman and the missing woman both had a mole on the top of their ear.  Sure enough, it turned out that was the missing woman.  Soooo, why on earth didn't the professionals actually working on the crime manage to do that...and waaay sooner?!?  Also, if NamUs doesn't have the ability to search based on traits/features, then that's almost a criminal oversight...they could have put in "mole on ear" many years ago, and gotten the match. 

On "Lil Miss Murder", one of the key aspects they used to prove guilt was a handwriting analysis, but the few examples they emphasized as being important matches really looked like a stretch. 

• Useful 2

I've found the way FFII presents cases to be somewhat off. Not just in the choice of stories but in how they tell them. Like spending 25 minutes detailing the investigation that goes nowhere only to cram the actual solution in the last 5 minutes. 

Forensic scientist Henry Lee, who became famous testifying in the OJ trial, and who has gone on to appear on many tv shows and as a expert in many trials, found liable for fabricating evidence that sent two teens to prison for murder.

The unusual, pre-trial ruling for Shawn Henning and Ricky Birch was one of several issued Friday by U.S District Judge Victor Bolden. The decisions mean that a sensational wrongful conviction suit against Lee, eight police investigators and the town of New Milford will go to trial without a settlement. In addition to finding against Lee, the court ruled that a jury could reasonably find that state and New Milford police fabricated or concealed evidence that would have undermined the case against the teenagers.

In Lee’s case, it will be a hearing in damages rather than a trial. Jurors will be instructed that, because of Bolden’s ruling, Lee has been found liable for fabricating the crucial evidence and the jurors need only decide how much he owes Henning and Birch in damages.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 2

I was really annoyed that I stayed up way too late watching the People Magazine Investigates about the I-70 killer only to discover that they still have no idea who it is. I get why they run shows like this, they are hoping to generate leads but it is very unsatisfying!

I was amazed at the guy on American Monster last night. He left so many clues, it's like he was asking to be caught. You know they won't let you drink beer and play video games in prison?? I was also appalled about the guy on Sex and Murder a few weeks ago who killed the woman who was pregnant with his baby. He was a cop and yet he was remarkably bad at committing crime! 

• Like 2