Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't know much about the details of the Smart story, so, I do think I'll watch.  What about the promo is cringe worthy.  Just curious. 

One of those nightmare scenarios -- kid taken out of her bedroom witnessed by her little sister.  

I'll never forget the breaking news watching an opinion show on that day.  The host interrupted his show with breaking news of her recovery, and in a stunned voice and look on his face -- recovered alive.  I think everyone thought she was dead, me included.  

I don't care how she comes across now.  What she went through as a child .... 

• Love 6

Just watched the 2 episodes of The Eleven, aired so far.
I thought it was well done, and the guy who confessed is really creepy. 
One guy was convicted of 2 of the murders, is a crazy set up,  original cops fired, 2 new one hired, and get a confession, which was recanted.
The poor guy died in prison, and the 2 cops went on to be bank robbers.
But I digress...
The man who wrote the letter is looking to be guilty, and in a preview, it seems more evidence is found, that could contain DNA.
I'm sticking with this one.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, auntjess said:

One guy was convicted of 2 of the murders, is a crazy set up,  original cops fired, 2 new one hired, and get a confession, which was recanted.
But I digress...
The man who wrote the letter is looking to be guilty, and in a preview, it seems more evidence is found, that could contain DNA.

It seems pretty intriguing.  I may have to check it out. Here's a link about it.

http://www.aetv.com/blog/news/ae-network-to-premiere-new-nonfiction-limited-series-the-eleven-on-thursday-october-19-at-9p

I'm really not into more on O.J.  There seems to be an endless stream of shows about him.  Too much, imo. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, auntjess said:

But I digress...

Me too.  Also watched the "mini marathon" of like three episodes and liked the two investigators (Fred Paige and Lise Olsen).  I agree - I don't really have a doubt that this guy is the murderer.  I think he only back-tracked about killing the eleven and shooting the guy (in broad daylight in front of people) because he thinks by some miracle of God that he is going to get parole.

• Love 4
On 10/19/2017 at 10:40 PM, walnutqueen said:

We continue to raise girls to beware of bad men.  Isn't it about time we raised boys to be good men?  Because, there's a disconnect here ...

Both are required. We live in this world, so teach your daughters well. We want a better world, so teach your sons even better. 

• Love 10

Did any of you watch the episode of the Cecil Hotel last night?  WTF??  The police/coroner ruled it was an accidental drowning??  Ok, so the police detective they were interviewing stated that the public doesn't have all the information related to the case (do we ever?), but holy hell, I cannot believe she got to the roof from her 5th floor room, through the security door w/o tripping the alarm, climbed up the water tower, lifted the lid, threw her clothes into it, and then climbed in and closed the lid?!?!  Did anyone see this in the news IRL?  That was just crazy....

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

Did any of you watch the episode of the Cecil Hotel last night?  WTF??  The police/coroner ruled it was an accidental drowning??  Ok, so the police detective they were interviewing stated that the public doesn't have all the information related to the case (do we ever?), but holy hell, I cannot believe she got to the roof from her 5th floor room, through the security door w/o tripping the alarm, climbed up the water tower, lifted the lid, threw her clothes into it, and then climbed in and closed the lid?!?!  Did anyone see this in the news IRL?  That was just crazy....

I did see this story on the news in real time.  It is a HELL of a mystery!  I had no idea about the missing minute of the tape, however.  With THAT info, it must have been an employee/s of the hotel.  Horrible story.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I did see this story on the news in real time.  It is a HELL of a mystery!  I had no idea about the missing minute of the tape, however.  With THAT info, it must have been an employee/s of the hotel.  Horrible story.

This is what I thought too.  I have a hard time believing it was another guest.  Ok, so the detective said that the POLICE released all the footage they had - that doesn't mean the crappy footage wasn't doctored by the EMPLOYEES before being turned over to the police.  The fact that the employees only had access to the roof to me was the primary relevant fact.  No wonder blogs popped up on this one - it is so ridiculous of an outcome.  In the very least, wouldn't have the coroner found that the manner of death was "Undetermined" not "Accidental"??  Good God that elevator footage was creepy. 

• Love 6

Yeeeeeeah, I'm definitely not buying that "accidental drowning" story, either. Like others said, it just doesn't make any sort of logical sense. Even if they wanted to go with the idea that she was suicidal (that wasn't brought up in the show, but I'd initially wondered if that's where they were going with the whole "she put herself in there" thing), I'm pretty sure she would've picked a significantly less bizarre way to kill herself. 

1 hour ago, TheGreenWave said:

Good God that elevator footage was creepy. 

It really was. Something very strange was going on that night, for sure. The whole thing about somebody posting something to her Tumblr page after her death was eerie, too. Makes the whole "accident" thing even more ludicrous. 

Also, the thought of using water that was contaminated by a decomposing body is an image that I won't be able to shake from my head for a while, so thanks for that, show. ICK. So much ick. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I'm pretty sure she would've picked a significantly less bizarre way to kill herself. 

the Cecil Hotel is like a 15 story building, I'm sure she would have jumped if she was really suicidal, not climb in a water tank naked and drown (with her clothes in the tank with her).  And, yes, the missing phone.  Wouldn't that have been in the hotel or with her if she did this on her own?  How do you explain that Tumblr posting if not the sick and macabre mind of the killer?

2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Also, the thought of using water that was contaminated by a decomposing body is an image that I won't be able to shake from my head for a while, so thanks for that, show. ICK. So much ick. 

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG yes - I would be scarred thinking I brushed my teeth, took a shower in corpse water.  SO NASTY.

Forgot to add about the Dateline: Homicide (or was it 20/20: Homicide??) with Tim Miller of Texas Equu Search.  I remember hearing about the group with the Natalee Halloway and Caylee Anthony searches, but had no idea about his story.  Wow that was really sad.  Plus, I hope he gets a lot of donations since they said that his group is always on the brink of going bankrupt.

• Love 5

I read a little about the Elisa Lam case, and this episode left out some intriguing information.  Lam was bi-polar and suffered from depression; she was taking 4 prescription medications for her disorders.  She'd been having some difficulties at school prior to her trip.  Also, when she first checked in to the Cecil Hotel, she got a shared room, but her roommates complained about her odd behavior and she was moved to a single room after 2 days.  In addition, the roof was accessible via the fire escape, although access to the water tank was not an easy undertaking.  Explanations for the Tumblr post after her death range from using the Queue Option, to a hacker, to a person who stole her phone.

This case is indeed mysterious.

• Love 13

I just watched an old episode of Unusual Suspects. It's the Christa Mcdonald case. Christopher McCowen was convicted of the crime... But I can't find anything that supports his guilt. I did find articles of racism within the jury, but I can't find the court case files or anything else. I'm starting to think that maybe they rushed to judgment. However, we know that the ID channel will leave out a lot of information. In this case they changed the race of the judge and jury foreman. Anyone know where I can read more about this case? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I am so glad that I am not the only person who doubted his guilt. Just hearing that the juror referred to Black people in racist terms, and discriminatory ways are disturbing. The juror's aunt came forward and testified to him being racist against Black people. There were also other jurors who came forward and said that they weren't comfortable with the verdict. Now I'm going to try to find the books. 

Thank you!!!

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Duck Duck Go, an alternative search engine.

I googled it and it. There are a lot more articles and websites on DDG that Google didn't find! I'm going to start using that website for researching things. Thank you!

• Love 3

I work in the mental health field now so when watching the footage of Elisa Lam on the elevator and then learning of her fate my first thought was severe mental illness. After reading Walnutqueens statement that it was possible for her to access the tank,it makes sense to me. Psychotic people can have amazing strength and when off medications will do the most bizarre things we couldn’t even imagine.

• Love 3

I'm watching Dead Silent right now (it's terrible, btw) and the girl narrating it has a hole in the arm of her sweater. Seriously, you can't find an unholy sweater to wear? Everything about this show is ridiculous, don't even care how it ends. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Unholy or unholey? I'm laughing at the thought of a distractingly satanic sweater.

Lol! I meant unholey, of course! I mean, you can go to Goodwill and get an unholey sweater for a couple of bucks. I'm sure an unholy sweater would cost more. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

The footage in the elevator is just so eerie.  I think American Horror Story made their last season's theme Hotel because of this case.

• Love 1

I also remember a "Criminal Minds" episode from a couple seasons back that involved somebody finding a dead body clogging up a water system in an apartment building. Guessing that was inspired by the case as well. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

I'm watching Dead Silent right now (it's terrible, btw) and the girl narrating it has a hole in the arm of her sweater. Seriously, you can't find an unholy sweater to wear? Everything about this show is ridiculous, don't even care how it ends. 

Quoting my own post to say I ended up finishing this (because there was nothing else on) and the ending was very interesting. Not a story I'd seen before. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Queena said:

I am so glad that I am not the only person who doubted his guilt. Just hearing that the juror referred to Black people in racist terms, and discriminatory ways are disturbing. The juror's aunt came forward and testified to him being racist against Black people. There were also other jurors who came forward and said that they weren't comfortable with the verdict. Now I'm going to try to find the books. 

Thank you!!!

From what I recall, there was ample evidence (DNA) of guilt in the Christa Worthington case.  Him being innocent seems odd based on the facts that I have seen.  Racism is not good, but, does it mean the man is not guilty? It seems they are trying anything to get a new trial.  What's the latest?  Here's one article that I could find.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/20140502/NEWS/405020319

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

From what I recall, there was ample evidence (DNA) of guilt in the Christa Worthington case.  Him being innocent seems odd based on the facts that I have seen.  Racism is not good, but, does it mean the man is not guilty? It seems they are trying anything to get a new trial.  What's the latest?  Here's one article that I could find.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/20140502/NEWS/405020319

He said that they had consensual sex. The thing is, most people doubt that this sophisticated White woman would have sex with a Black man, and he had a low IQ. However, there was no signs of trauma, all semen that was left on her body wasn't tested. Everyone seems to think that the guy who testified against him was the person who committed the crime. He had on a sweater that night that matched fibers left at the scene. The police fed him information about the crime. That guy was recently charged with child abuse and rape. If you find the articles, a lot of locals commented that he should have been locked up for Christa's murder. He also was known to confess to the murder while drunk or high. He was/is a police informant, and for that reason, his original bond was only $1,000... Then I guess people started complaining and the rearrested him and he didn't have a bond per the last article. I would post the articles, but I don't want to post someone's name who hasn't been charged for a crime. 

There have been 2 books so far about this case, and 1 is on Amazon available for the Kindle for $1.99 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Queena said:

He said that they had consensual sex. The thing is, most people doubt that this sophisticated White woman would have sex with a Black man, and he had a low IQ. However, there was no signs of trauma, all semen that was left on her body wasn't tested. Everyone seems to think that the guy who testified against him was the person who committed the crime. He had on a sweater that night that matched fibers left at the scene. The police fed him information about the crime. That guy was recently charged with child abuse and rape. If you find the articles, a lot of locals commented that he should have been locked up for Christa's murder. He also was known to confess to the murder while drunk or high. He was/is a police informant, and for that reason, his original bond was only $1,000... Then I guess people started complaining and the rearrested him and he didn't have a bond per the last article. I would post the articles, but I don't want to post someone's name who hasn't been charged for a crime. 

There have been 2 books so far about this case, and 1 is on Amazon available for the Kindle for $1.99 

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into it.  My disbelief of his claim wasn't based on his race.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

I work in the mental health field now so when watching the footage of Elisa Lam on the elevator and then learning of her fate my first thought was severe mental illness. After reading Walnutqueens statement that it was possible for her to access the tank,it makes sense to me. Psychotic people can have amazing strength and when off medications will do the most bizarre things we couldn’t even imagine.

I can't believe they left out this entire discussion (esp since it is public knowledge) - that seems to be a huge factor in her death. 

20 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Also, when she first checked in to the Cecil Hotel, she got a shared room, but her roommates complained about her odd behavior and she was moved to a single room after 2 days. 

And this was misleading in the show as well.  I mean, I totally get they sometimes can't boil things down to one hour easily, but they made it seem like she just hopped on a plane by herself and wandered about LA until meeting Dylan who told her about the Cecil.  I'm so annoyed.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Josette said:

Something left out of this latest Dead Silent episode is that Glendon Gouker's wife Michelle is also his sister. 

...oh, wow. Yeah, that would've been interesting to know. That makes the whole thing even creepier and explains a bit. 

I liked that neighbor that Amanda ran to for safety. Love how cool, calm, and collected she was when the guy stopped by trying to look for Amanda. That's pretty bold. And Ethan's mom wanting to thank her for managing to keep Amanda safe was a touching thought, too. I hope she did get that chance, or that that neighbor saw this episode or something and heard that "I want to thank her" comment. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into it.  My disbelief of his claim wasn't based on his race.  

Oh no, not you... That's what the jurors, and others I've seen on the internet say. I'm sorry if you thought that I was accusing you. 

3 minutes ago, Queena said:

Oh no, not you... That's what the jurors, and others I've seen on the internet say. I'm sorry if you thought that I was accusing you. 

Oh, no. I didn't think that. I just stated my feelings, just to be clear where I was coming from.  No offense taken on my part. 

• Love 1

I watched "The Eleven" last week and it definitely has me intrigued. The guy who confesses is so creepy and so are those reenactments of how they think those girls were murdered. It has me spooked a bit.

I am looking forward to the Elizabeth Smart Biography on A&E, as well as the movie on Lifetime. I've read her book and listened to several of her speeches. I think she's an amazing woman and advocate. A&E could have done a better promo, but in her defense a ton of people have said awful things about her and continue to when they have no clue what they're talking about. 

• Love 7

While this isn't a true crime show, it sure fits into the genre.  Did anyone watch Steve Wilcos today about the missing little girl Relisha Rudd?  What a horrible story with a video of her being led into a motel room.  8 y/o went missing 2 years ago and her "mother" didn't say she was missing for 18 days (shades of Casey Anthony).   Anyway, Shamika (Relisha's mother) was on with her mother and father of 2 other children who he isn't allowed to even see.  Shamika refused a lie detector test, which her mother and baby daddy bother passed.  

If anyone did see it, read this from The Charley Project about Shamika talking about "Dr. Tatum".   It never came up today.  Just more lies.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/rudd_relisha.html

There was another little girl also caught on survellience in a motel and never seen again.  Nothing happened to her "mother" either, but selling this child for sex was very much suspected.  Sigh, I can't remember the child's name -- it was around 10 years ago.  I hate that I can't remember her name.  :(  

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Otter said:

While this isn't a true crime show, it sure fits into the genre.  Did anyone watch Steve Wilcos today about the missing little girl Relisha Rudd?  What a horrible story with a video of her being led into a motel room.  8 y/o went missing 2 years ago and her "mother" didn't say she was missing for 18 days (shades of Casey Anthony).   Anyway, Shamika (Relisha's mother) was on with her mother and father of 2 other children who he isn't allowed to even see.  Shamika refused a lie detector test, which her mother and baby daddy bother passed.  

If anyone did see it, read this from The Charley Project about Shamika talking about "Dr. Tatum".   It never came up today.  Just more lies.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/rudd_relisha.html

There was another little girl also caught on survellience in a motel and never seen again.  Nothing happened to her "mother" either, but selling this child for sex was very much suspected.  Sigh, I can't remember the child's name -- it was around 10 years ago.  I hate that I can't remember her name.  :(  

I don't think that Relisha's mother sold her. They were homeless and staying in a shelter. Mr. Tatum was a janitor there ( I think) and he would always give the kids treat. Typical child molester behavior. I don't think that Tatum sold her. Sadly, I believe that Relisha is dead. Webslueths has a lot of information about the case. 

Didn't he try to kill his wife before committing suicide?  

• Love 1

Okay. This episode of Evil Lives Within has me as angry with the mother as the violent father.  This woman betrayed her children. They had more courage than she did.  She never researched or looked for resources and safety for her children after MANY beatings of the kids.  What is wrong with people like that? I get being a victim of domestic violence, but, this woman had options and plenty of chances, but, she PROTECTED him for a long time.   PLUS, the man had already confessed to her that he had murdered 2 other women.  He would have been charged and held for those crimes.  I hope that she was some how held accountable for neglecting the children.  I wouldn't trust children in her care.  She has proven she will not protect them. 

She eventually told the police about the murders, but, didn't step up and support her daughter's story of him beating her with a stick.  I don't get it. I hope her kids were able to get some help. All she talked about was her fear, her feelings and how she was always thinking about him now getting out of prison.  She never talked about how the kids felt or how they suffered. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, Queena said:

I don't think that Relisha's mother sold her. They were homeless and staying in a shelter. Mr. Tatum was a janitor there ( I think) and he would always give the kids treat. Typical child molester behavior. I don't think that Tatum sold her. Sadly, I believe that Relisha is dead. Webslueths has a lot of information about the case. 

Didn't he try to kill his wife before committing suicide?  

I just don't know.  The mother was so awful and telling the school that she was with Dr. Tatum .... who knows what Tatum gave her in return.  That part never came up on the SW episode.  

He DID kill his wife.  He was the only suspect.  Cases like this must drive detectives to despair.    

WS digs deep.  Lol, got banned years ago defending another member who I thought got banned unfairly.  *POOF*  me too!  :D

• Love 1

I watched the 3rd part of The Eleven, and couldn't believe the fuck-ups in the case.
One polce or sheriff office let a father interrogate a guy, and never followed up.
And after seeing how he killed the guy in his yard, they let him make bail?
When they finally caught him after some years, why didn't he get the death penalty, or at least enough years so that he'd not be up for parole for 100 years or so.
I wonder  if he is up for release like the killed who was released in a bid to relieve overcrowding in prisons.
If by some fluke he's granted parole, he should be housed by a parole board member who voted for his release.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 4

Whether or not Ed Bell is a serial killer, he IS a sexual predator/pedophile, and poses a danger to society if paroled.  His history of skipping out on bail and eluding authorities for some 20 years makes him a poor candidate for parole release; add his long history of sex crimes to the equation, and a parole board would have to be delusional to release him ... oh, wait, I just remembered that parole boards are about as trustworthy as juries.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Otter said:

I just don't know.  The mother was so awful and telling the school that she was with Dr. Tatum .... who knows what Tatum gave her in return.  That part never came up on the SW episode.  

He DID kill his wife.  He was the only suspect.  Cases like this must drive detectives to despair.    

WS digs deep.  Lol, got banned years ago defending another member who I thought got banned unfairly.  *POOF*  me too!  :D

WS is great in some instances, and it sucks in others. They go over and over a point, and it's very judgemental. I got a talking to for calling Trump the worst idiot to ever idiot.. And racist.. You can't talk about the president in those disrespectful terms.... Well... Or the time that they were upset about a guy not being found guilty... Someone said that they wished it was the old south. The victim was White, and the perp was a Black man... I asked if they wanted a good old fashioned lynching. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Queena said:

WS is great in some instances, and it sucks in others. They go over and over a point, and it's very judgemental. I got a talking to for calling Trump the worst idiot to ever idiot.. And racist.. You can't talk about the president in those disrespectful terms.... Well... Or the time that they were upset about a guy not being found guilty... Someone said that they wished it was the old south. The victim was White, and the perp was a Black man... I asked if they wanted a good old fashioned lynching. 

I just went there for Scott Peterson and it was a hidden board, but that wasn't where I got into trouble!  :D  I can't believe how bedazzled it is now and I visit maybe once a year  -- honestly, if you had a seizure disorder I'd encourage you to stay away!  Lol, not you personally.  I do appreciate them from a few years back:  A dear friend's young teenage niece went missing and it was a BOLO in their locality.  I emailed one of the mods and asked for help.  They went right to work.  Tragically the young girl killed herself.  But the WS'ers stepped up.  My friend was so desperate, it was the only way I could help and some of those posters are truly sleuths.  Few.  The weird thing was how much the mod/admin (not Tricia) wanted me to post as an insider.  I was no insider and told her so.

Just saw an ID teaser about a 2 hour special at the end of November on Scott Peterson.   Hopefully a rebuttal of the multi-part nonsense that A&E aired..  That surely needs a rebuttal.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Whether or not Ed Bell is a serial killer, he IS a sexual predator/pedophile, and poses a danger to society if paroled.  His history of skipping out on bail and eluding authorities for some 20 years makes him a poor candidate for parole release; add his long history of sex crimes to the equation, and a parole board would have to be delusional to release him ... oh, wait, I just remembered that parole boards are about as trustworthy as juries.

I'm not familiar with sentencing in Texas, but how did this guy get sentenced with the possibility of parole? He murdered that poor guy (what a gut-wrenching story and a heinous, brutal murder) and then skipped out of the country for 14 years. He shouldn't be eligible for parole. He was out free while that daughter grew up without a father.

Bell gives me the creeps, and I think he is totally responsible for most if not all of these girls' murders.

• Love 5