Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 12/16/2016 at 7:24 PM, tobeannounced said:

I was going to post about Pandora's Box. That was a crazy story! So many twists and turns. My heart just broke for the woman who was kidnapped as a child and then ended up marrying her kidnapper.  What an evil man.  So was he the one that ran over her and killed her, or was it an accident? I was in and out of sleep during this even though I thought it was really interesting.

The Tanya Hughes/Sharon Marshall/Suzanne Sevakis murder has never been solved. No doubt this Franklin Floyd character is the lowest of the low. Sad that this POS ruined that young girl's life.

• Love 5
On 12/16/2016 at 9:03 AM, applecrisp said:

i saw that show Kell's, what i I thought was strange was the girl's father was African American and the real father was not.  I am all for diversity but at least get the race right. Did anyone else notice that?  It also happened on an Evil Stepmother show where the actress appeared Aisan and the real person was not.

I didn't even notice that!

On 12/16/2016 at 4:07 PM, Maizie131 said:

Watched last night's Pandora's Box "Tainted Love" episode about the grade school principal & little kid in his school that was kidnapped (along w/the principal).  Question:  Did I just have one too many rum & cokes or was this a really confusing story to follow?  I gave up after about a half hour.  I don't wanna think that hard when I'm watching these shows!  Shit!

It was a very convoluted case because Franklin Floyd has committed so many crimes it's hard to keep up with them all. However, this particular story has been done on a number of different shows, it's definitely not new. 

• Love 3

Finally caught up with the first two episodes of A Crime to Remember's new season.

I too was disappointed with the Starkweather case.  That one is a little too well known.  I recall reading about it back in the 70s in one of those trivia books that were so popular back then.

I hadn't heard of the Sharon Kinne case (or cases) before.  Both interesting and frustrating.  That said, I'm not sure things would have ended well for her after her escape from the Mexican prison.  It's not as if she could call the cops if she ran into a problem.

It did prompt me to read a little more about her.  Her Wikipedia entry is quite extensive.  One theory posted there is that the family of the man she killed in Mexico helped her escape (presumably she didn't know who they were).  Then they killed her.

• Love 2

May I add a complaint?

People.  Last night.  JonBenet Ramsey.  Really?  What's next week?  Robert Blake, Bill Cosby or OJ Simpson?

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

OJ Simpson will be back on TV in January, as in "Was he Innocent?".  GAH!

I just saw this Brat.  I'm watching a repeat (shocking) of A Crime to Remember and they had a commercial for it.  

A little surprised that there isn't a January special for Pam Smart.  Like that hasn't been done enough.  Bonus though if they do - I am curious as to which "barrettes" Pam will choose to hold back her Baby Jane curls.

This week's episode of A Crime to Remember was very good I thought. I thought it was interesting having Carol Thompson's son interviewed was interesting and gave things a certain emotional weight, especially when he talked about people telling him as a kid that his dad murdered his mom and the fact that this father was arrested on his 14th birthday. But that final detail that his dad have him put the latch on the door before they left was super sad, especially his physical reaction to recalling that moment.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, AKraven said:

It's comin' on Christmas

They're cutting down trees

They're putting up reindeer

Singing songs of joy and peace

Oh, I wish I had a river

I could skate away on.

I love that song!  Anyway, and totally off-topic, holiday greetings to all you murderous freaks!

LOL!  What a sweet sentiment, AKraven!  And the same to you & yours.  (GREAT song!)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AKraven said:

It's comin' on Christmas

They're cutting down trees

They're putting up reindeer

Singing songs of joy and peace

Oh, I wish I had a river

I could skate away on.

I love that song!  Anyway, and totally off-topic, holiday greetings to all you murderous freaks!

I must live a sheltered life, 'cause I don't know that song.  :-(

But those Hallmark holiday movies that have been airing for the past 3 months?  Make me want to KILL, KILL, KILL.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I must live a sheltered life, 'cause I don't know that song.  :-(

But those Hallmark holiday movies that have been airing for the past 3 months?  Make me want to KILL, KILL, KILL.

They are the worst WQ.  

I just wish in the JonBenet cases they would show pictures of the 5 year old girl and not the beauty queen.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@walnutqueen, the song is "River" by Joni Mitchell. 

Best wishes to everyone that 2017 doesn't suck. (My expectations are battered and rather low right now, so "not sucking" is about the best I can do.)

@Jeeves - STILL don't know from nothin'.  This craptablet device I'm stuck with won't let me do anything - including watching or listening to stuff. (I can just BARELY read these forums, eh).  BAH fuckin' Humbug.  Bring on 2017 and let's see whatever MORE shit this big ol' world of crap can throw at me.

8 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I don't know who that is. :(

Sorry.  Just  a generic name for someone with a positive and cheerful outlook on life.  Unlike me, the original NegativeNellie.  ;-)

Always waiting for the other shoe to drop ...

• Love 3
On 11/17/2016 at 11:55 PM, badhaggis said:

I just saw a commercial for "A Crime to Remember" the new season starts December 6th.

GODDAMN IT!!!!

On 12/6/2016 at 10:30 AM, walnutqueen said:

It just isn't the same since TPTB decimated our ID Channel thread.  All these separate threads for our many crime shows makes it too darned scattered for my addled old brain to keep track, too.

I'll say.  Since I don't watch ID outside of this show (which I only started watching in the first place because of the raves it got on these forums from y'all)  I had NO IDEA that my favorite true crime show was back!  Thank the gorehound goddesses for OnDemand.  Merry fucking Christmas to me!  and, ahem, a lovely holiday season to all of you true crime fanatics!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

GODDAMN IT!!!!

I'll say.  Since I don't watch ID outside of this show (which I only started watching in the first place because of the raves it got on these forums from y'all)  I had NO IDEA that my favorite true crime show was back!  Thank the gorehound goddesses for OnDemand.  Merry fucking Christmas to me!  and, ahem, a lovely holiday season to all of you true crime fanatics!

WildThing - you make my heart sing.  You make everything .... groovy.

I'm gonna assume I'm  being called a "gorehound goddess""-because   BEST NAME EVER!!!!!

Edited by walnutqueen
My dead Mum's tablet HATES me
  • Love 5

Just watched the Truth is Stranger than Florida episode "Scandal at the Spa." I knew one of the victims (not well, and had met the killer) and remember hearing at the time that it was the first time in a murder case, fingerprints were lifted from a victim and used to help convict the killer. I was a teenager then and I've tried to verify that a number of times over the years but never could. I am glad there were justice for the victims. 

• Love 7

I hereby nominate Evil Lives Here as having the scariest “intro” music of all I.D. programs...kinda reminds me of Psycho.  Those screeching violins scare the shit outta me every time.  Anyhow, last night’s program (“Not My Boy”) was disturbing & heart-wrenching, even tho I knew about 10 minutes in I recalled the story from Forensic Files.  I really felt awful for the parents…can you imagine?  I’ll give them a “B” for trying to get help for their son early-on, however, when the father hired him to work in the family company and the mother felt ice water running thru her veins at the thought -- and didn’t voice her concerns to her husband -- I lost a bit of sympathy.  What did you guys think of this one?

• Love 6

Haven't watched it yet.  From the promo, I thought maybe it was the FBI man whose son is/was on death row.
And the Florida show is one I saw in another guise in the past year, about the couple with the retro motel.

1 hour ago, Maizie131 said:

I hereby nominate Evil Lives Here as having the scariest “intro” music of all I.D. programs...kinda reminds me of Psycho.  Those screeching violins scare the shit outta me every time.  Anyhow, last night’s program (“Not My Boy”) was disturbing & heart-wrenching, even tho I knew about 10 minutes in I recalled the story from Forensic Files.  I really felt awful for the parents…can you imagine?  I’ll give them a “B” for trying to get help for their son early-on, however, when the father hired him to work in the family company and the mother felt ice water running thru her veins at the thought -- and didn’t voice her concerns to her husband -- I lost a bit of sympathy.  What did you guys think of this one?

"Not My Boy" was painful to watch.  The dad with his gut-wrenching sobbing just hurt me to my soul.  Paul (the son) scared the hell out of me, and I wouldn't have given him the benefit of the doubt like his mom did.  He just didn't care that his firebug activities had killed four people.  Heartless.

And Happy New Year, Maizie!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 6

Agree about the intro music, plus visuals, for Evil Lives Here. Always have to fast-forward through it. I was familiar with the story as well, but it was interesting to get the story from the parents' point of view. IDK, I guess some people are just bad seeds from the get go. I did feel for the parents. OTOH, I'm really wondering what other harms Paul inflicted on his siblings that the parents either didn't know about or, I'm sorry to say, just looked the other way because they didn't want to know. I would like to hear what the son and daughter have to say because it really bothers me that Paul was responsible for his brother's broken leg, tried to drown his sister and later strangle her, but he was part of the business and the "heir apparent" according to the father.

• Love 8

Re: Evil Lives Here - that episode about Paul Keller was absolutely chilling. The parents seemed like decent people who repeatedly and fruitlessly tried to get help. It boggled my mind that - after an extensive series of tests - they were told by a neurologist that he was merely hyperactive when he so clearly was hard wired to have an antisocial personality. (Unless perhaps the parents hadn't been forthcoming with all of Paul's violent episodes?) But even if they had been told he was a sociopath - then what? What are parents supposed to do when they have a child who is incapable of experiencing empathy?

In this case it seemed that they ultimately grew afraid of him and what he was capable of doing. He really ruled that family. I think that it wasn't just love but chronic, pervasive, underlying fear that was behind the father's wish to include Paul in the family business. What a nightmare. And Paul's casual demeanor in that police interview was exactly the attitude that the parents described seeing in him since early childhood. Well good for them for turning him in. It's a shame that they not only felt so much guilt for his behavior, they also paid financially with the loss of their business, home, and savings. And while I'm glad the mother experienced a spiritual epiphany - for her sake - I still wonder: how were they able to rebuild their lives from such devastation?

• Love 9

That Evil Lives Here episode reminded me of another show that was on I.D. about a woman who married a man who had custody of his young son.  As the kid gets older, he starts drawing pics of his stepmother hanging & stuff.  They tried to get help for him, too, and I think he was even committed to an institution for awhile.  Anyhow, didn't work for him, either, and he wound up shooting & killing a bunch of people at a shopping mall.  I was amazed that woman stayed with her husband as long as she did before filing for divorce.  I would've been outta there waaay sooner.

• Love 6

I can't imagine how frightening it would have been living in that household with Paul, for all of those years.
I think this arson case was on another show, but Paul was just shown as a pyromaniac, but not a sociopath.
Of the news shows I've seen, Detectives Club: New Orleans was my favorite.  I also liked the Murder Chose Me, but what a sad case that was.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I can't imagine how frightening it would have been living in that household with Paul, for all of those years.
I think this arson case was on another show, but Paul was just shown as a pyromaniac, but not a sociopath.
Of the news shows I've seen, Detectives Club: New Orleans was my favorite.  I also liked the Murder Chose Me, but what a sad case that was.

I haven't seen either of those shows & they're not coming up on my DVR search.  Where are you watching them, auntjess?

12 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

Ok. So if OJ didn't do it, then probably Pam Hupp did. Is anybody going to watch the 3 part "OJ didn't do it" nonsense? That little weasel Derrick from Big Brother is in it as an investigator? Really?

Have no intention of watching it, hoosiermom.  If anybody does, let me know if you're convinced OJ's innocent.  :) 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

I haven't seen either of those shows & they're not coming up on my DVR search.  Where are you watching them, auntjess?

I recorded them, and I think they were on New Year's Day, as a preview of the upcoming season, so look for the in the next few weeks.
I love hearing Louisiana accents.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I recorded them, and I think they were on New Year's Day, as a preview of the upcoming season, so look for the in the next few weeks.
I love hearing Louisiana accents.

Oh, cool - thanks.  I was watching the Game of Thrones marathon then - still got my fill of blood, treachery and lechery.  :-)

• Love 2
On 1/3/2017 at 8:21 PM, hoosiermom said:

Ok. So if OJ didn't do it, then probably Pam Hupp did. Is anybody going to watch the 3 part "OJ didn't do it" nonsense? That little weasel Derrick from Big Brother is in it as an investigator? Really?

Seeing Derrick "acting" was hilarious. I wasn't interested anyways, and seeing him certainly didn't help. 

Also, I want to register my annoyance that "I, Witness" is kicking things off with yet another retelling of the Shari Smith story. Didn't some show JUST do that story? There really needs to be someone at ID who monitors this sort of thing. 

• Love 4
On 1/3/2017 at 7:35 PM, Maizie131 said:

Have no intention of watching it, hoosiermom.  If anybody does, let me know if you're convinced OJ's innocent.  :) 

Unless there is something on another channel that is MUST see, I'll most likely watch it.  I (with 99% certainty) will not be convinced of his innocence.

Nah, make that 100%.

• Love 4

I haven't watched any of the OJ shows, but what convinced me at the time, was while he go off partly because of "if the gloves don't fit, you can't convict," I had a pair of nice leather gloves, and they got wet and shrunk.  A lot.
So there you have it, proof positive.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I haven't watched any of the OJ shows, but what convinced me at the time, was while he go off partly because of "if the gloves don't fit, you can't convict," I had a pair of nice leather gloves, and they got wet and shrunk.  A lot.
So there you have it, proof positive.

Stupid, stupid jury.

• Love 7

I was very impressed with Murder Chose Me. That's one I will be watching. However, my research on some of the Kenda episodes has made me a bit jaded. I wonder how much will be the work of the writing team and how much will just be his story. 

The Shari Smith story always makes me sad. I was very impressed with the tone of I, Witness. I am in for that one. 

The assholes dragging the Brown and Goldman families through this shit again can go fuck themselves. I won't be watching the O.J. dreck. Some people will do anything for attention and money, I guess. 

• Love 4

I liked the Evil Lives Here episode and felt really bad for the parents. I definitely think Paul is a sociopath. I think they were raising him at a time when less was known about that and the professionals were very reluctant to diagnose a child as a sociopath.  It almost sounded like the parents don't realize that he is a sociopath and still think there is something that they could have done. Edited to add, I did think it was weird that the dad thought Paul's fascination with fires was a healthy interest. Yes, kids are fascinated with fire trucks and firemen but not to that extent; that was obsessive.

I really didn't understand the need for the new OJ stuff and I didn't watch the fictional one and I don't think I will be watching the is he innocent one but the documentary on ESPN was really fascinating and they did an amazing job of explaining the cultural context of it all. It was totally worth watching just for Marsha Clark's reaction to the Furhman tapes!!

Edited by geekgirl921
Something to add
  • Love 3

I see that there's been a forum made for Monster in My Family, which is the same premise as Evil Lives Here. 
No doubt I'll get the shows confused.
It's not that we're special snowflakes, it's that the same crimes are frequently covered by several shows, and it's really hard to keep them straight.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I was very impressed with Murder Chose Me. That's one I will be watching. However, my research on some of the Kenda episodes has made me a bit jaded.

You mean that some of the Kendra episodes aren't factually correct? Say it isn't so!

• Love 1
On 1/5/2017 at 3:07 PM, Mannahatta said:

You mean that some of the Kendra episodes aren't factually correct? Say it isn't so!

Nope, they aren't. The one that stuck out the most was the one with the grandfather who killed his daughter, grandson and wife. They acted like it was a big mystery, even hinting that the daughter's estranged husband might have done it. Kenda mentions offhand that the grandfather had a note in his hand at the end of the episode. Turns out that the note was found immediately, and it was a suicide note/confession. It fully explained the who and why. This was no mystery, and dragging the husband into it was so gross. Reading the news stories from the time made me really angry at Kenda and the writers. 

• Love 6

I don't mind Kenda so much. I just don't really find the stories very interesting. I hardly ever watch a whole episode. It's a good show for me to play while falling a asleep at night. Oddly, I enjoyed the one about how he became a cop and going into some of his background and getting to "meet" his wife.

• Love 1

I liked the stories early on, but I agree that they are running out of interesting things to show and are now just milking the popularity. My feelings about him are mixed. I like his delivery, but I have a problem with some of his moral proclamations and agree that he is very impressed with himself. 

• Love 2