Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I bought the magazine so that's good enough for me.

(Incidentally, I did a double take on the photo on the table-of-contents page because on the main street of my town(Seneca Falls, NY) there's a florist shop which looks exactly like that, down to the "Flowers and Gifts" awning, and the building to the right is also identical.

Edited by smittykins
Hit "post" by accident
(edited)

I have Vanishing Women  on my DVR and I've watched it, but my attention wandered.Two other women went missing/were killed before Tiffany Sayre, yet she was the one who ignited interest? Her family deserves to know her whereabouts and she deserves safety/justice, whatever the case may be. But I had to side eye the family when they said "oh, she was such a good mother" and "we were so worried for her children (when she went missing)." So not  when she was using hard drugs and engaging in prostitution?

"She met a man and we assumed she'd beat (the drugs) and clean herself up." So they didn't make an effort to bring it up to her? Her kids weren't a suitable incentive? I know you have to sober up for yourself and no one else, but Mr. Right would not place above my real responsibilities.

I was also scoffing at the girl who was out with her that night. "(The men) know me now, and I'm scared." Well, you're on T.V. talking about it, so I don't know how scared you are, really.

I'm interested in the Adnan Sayid profile on the 14th. I'm a fan of Serial so I probably won't learn anything new, but you never know.

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 6
On 05/15/2016 at 6:26 PM, Rina99 said:

Noooo, I'm just learning about this.  :(

On another note, I'm annoyed that the season finale of  See No Evil is going to feature those twins from Georgia who killed their mother, as I'm sick of seeing that story done.

I really get tired of all these series doing the same stories over and over again. Gets real boring; especially the twins one. The judge there was out to lunch.

Today I'm watching Fear thy Neighbor, Night of the Machete, and the James guy was so infantile with his loud, horrid music that he brought most if his problem with the Twain guy on himself. It's okay to blast your music because it's New Year's Eve and people across the country are partying? Even when Twain was not the only neighbor who complained? Then he does the bit where he slams the car door into Twain's car. Of course, none of that absolves Twain, but it took James a ridiculously long time to realize that baiting the unbalanced bear was not a good idea.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, renatae said:

I really get tired of all these series doing the same stories over and over again. Gets real boring; especially the twins one. The judge there was out to lunch.

Today I'm watching Fear thy Neighbor, Night of the Machete, and the James guy was so infantile with his loud, horrid music that he brought most if his problem with the Twain guy on himself. It's okay to blast your music because it's New Year's Eve and people across the country are partying? Even when Twain was not the only neighbor who complained? Then he does the bit where he slams the car door into Twain's car. Of course, none of that absolves Twain, but it took James a ridiculously long time to realize that baiting the unbalanced bear was not a good idea.

I was very disappointed that Twain didn't rip off James' head.  What an asshole.

• Love 6

Ah, nice to know I wasn't  the only one who didn't have much empathy for that particular victim! In the beginning segment, I was definitely thinking that if he was my neighbor, I would have been in his face, too. What obnoxious music.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, renatae said:

Twain probably had some form of untreated PTSD from the war and he shouldn't have pummeled James or attacked Barking Dog Couple and James' apartment with the machete, but James and his girlfriend both were unrepentant assholes and admittedly cranked up the music on purpose once they knew it annoyed him - getting a citation from the cop for turning the music back up after they came out for Twain's first complaint! - that it was difficult for me to feel too sorry for them. And I'm still not sure how Barking Dog couple got on their side when they were so annoyed by James and the music, too.

• Love 7
On June 11, 2016 at 0:17 AM, AKraven said:

I just commented on the ID forum about my lack of patience regarding a particular show.  Crap, maybe I am an old and ornery crone.  But, hey, my mind still sometimes thinks I'm twenty-nine!

12 hours ago, auntjess said:

As long as Keef still lives, we're good!

Keith Morrison?

• Love 1

James and his girlfriend annoyed me to no end! I found it incredibly hard to have any sympathy for them...

Did anyone else see Stacy Castor (the antifreeze poisoner of two husbands then tried to pin it on her daughter by killing her too) died in prison of natural causes?

• Love 3

I am catching up on Las Vegas Law.  Love the show a lot.  However, I can't stand the defense attorney and his partner/wife!  I swear I can see the oil slick that guy leaves behind him.  I laugh out loud when he has scenes walking back to the defense table after addressing the jury.   His "strut" is a combo of a cock-sure disco era hustler strolling into a club and the walk of someone who wiped his butt a little too aggressively & is "clenching/un-clenching" to excise the remnant toilet paper confetti from his ass crack. I have no idea how tall he is, but I'd guess he's short. He looks a little like Luke Perry...but not the full size candy bar version.  More like fun size but with extra smarm.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, badhaggis said:

James and his girlfriend annoyed me to no end! I found it incredibly hard to have any sympathy for them...

Did anyone else see Stacy Castor (the antifreeze poisoner of two husbands then tried to pin it on her daughter by killing her too) died in prison of natural causes?

Badhaggis - No, I didn't know Stacy Castor died, but this is good news for the taxpayers!  48 y.o. - COD unknown for weeks until tests completed (not that I care, mind you).  It was the ole' "death by turkey baster" case where she tried to frame her daughter.  Here's the article, to refresh our memory:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-who-poisoned-husband-with-antifreeze-dies-in-prison/

Ya gotta read the first couple "comments" to the article - pretty damn funny!  (The 2nd one commented, "There - I fixed it for ya'"  hahaha!)

• Love 8

I worked with the sister of Stacey's first husband for a few years; I happened to be watching one of the many shows devoted to the case and saw her.  Normally, I would never celebrate anyone's death...but in this case, I'll make an exception.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, AKraven said:

Stacey Castor ranks right up there as one of the sorriest, nastiest bitches I've ever seen featured on any of these murder shows.  No redeeming qualities to find there.  See ya'.

Oh, just one more thing before you go, Stacey - spell "antifreeze!"  Dumb whore.

^^^ I so agree. If asked how many of these true crime shows I've watched, on ID and other networks, over the years, I will take the 5th or lie my head off. Because it's way too many. And yet, it's hard for me to think of anybody as horrible as Stacey C. It's a story that I probably wouldn't believe if I encountered it first in a novel. But it happened. When I first saw a documentary about this, and it got to where she tried to pin it on her daughter (attempting to KILL her daughter and make it look like a suicide, with a handy confession "suicide note" on the nightstand), I started swearing at the TV. 

I still recall one of the detectives on that case, saying that although most suicide notes are short, Stacey's faked one went on and on. Well it had to. Her daughter was supposedly leaving an airtight confession to two murders. The cop said it was "the War and Peace of suicide notes." 

And, yes, the horrible Stacey kept misspelling, and mispronouncing, "antifreeze." Thank God.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 5/2/2016 at 7:09 PM, Darian said:

I am still checking and rechecking my basement for signs of tunneling even though my house is freestanding. That episode of "Fear thy Neighbor" freaked me the hell out. 

This scared me so badly, that poor woman. I can't even imagine waking up to that nightmare. That or being torn apart by your neighbor's dogs (shudder), and I'm a dog person, RIP kitties. The Vanishing Women was a huge snoozefest, couldn't even finish the first ep. That woman was no saint, and it was obvious. Done with that show.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, BigBlueMastiff said:

The Vanishing Women was a huge snoozefest, couldn't even finish the first ep. That woman was no saint, and it was obvious. Done with that show.

I know; I was more occupied with watching the Doppler Radar to pay much attention to it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Something funny.  At least I think so....

I've been filling in my co-workers on the Vanishing Women series.  They don't seem too interested but I told them I couldn't sleep because that song kept playing in my head.

I had to go downstairs (basement) to get some file folders (God forbid the ad assistant does it - she's too busy with ebay) and needless to say the basement is dark, damp and spooky.  As I was rummaging for the box my dear co-worker was at the top of the stair singing "someone's in the shadows"  I stopped what I was doing and immediately ran up the stairs.  On the way up I tripped and skinned my hand.

I will get even.  That is my vow to all of you.

P.S.  On the Castor comment page I did laugh at the poster whose name is "my pants fit properly'. 

Edited by PsychoKlown

Oh, that's a funny prank, PsychoKlown.  I feel bad for laughing since you tripped, but your coworker has a good sense of humor.

Re the show, I'm still willing to give it a chance.  I just wish they'd quit dancing around the fact that these were prostitutes that were killed.  I mean, they all were, right?  At least they seem to be alluding to that. I think they're doing a great job of showing that these were human beings who loved and were loved, but the facts are the facts, so just say it.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

I just wish they'd quit dancing around the fact that these were prostitutes that were killed.  I mean, they all were, right?  At least they seem to be alluding to that. I think they're doing a great job of showing that these were human beings who loved and were loved, but the facts are the facts, so just say it.

I agree.  Prostitutes have historically been a popular target for killers.  Think Green River Killer, Grim Sleeper, Long Island Killer, and Jack the Ripper come to mind.  Of course these ladies were loved, but it IS a part of the big picture.

• Love 10

I agree tobeannounced and Brattinella and it seems they do dance around the subject.  My husband has relatives that live there.  Distant relatives.  He describes the place as grim, desolate and desperate.  I said that maybe we should take a road trip and visit the crime areas he looked at me and said "veto". 

The prostitute angle is obvious.  My heart went out to the dad who's grieving.   He certainly needs some counseling and I'm only saying that because he is so similar to my clients.  I hope he can eventually find peace.  Missing his daughter will never fade but with time he can focus on the good times with her and not so much how she died.

Sad all the way around.  I find it interesting that they're thinking it's one person.  Maybe it's not - maybe it's two, even three killers.  I think more manpower needs to be executed - the sheriff, deputies and investigators seem capable but I think these are cases that need much more input than the local PD.

And that song...gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Okay, there is a new ad that covers "I Am Homicide" and a Tamron Hall show, and "Vanishing Women".  There is a girl singing on it.  She is attempting to sing "I'm waiting for you", but she pronounces it as "Waiting for ooo".  As in, no "Y" .  Anyone know who this singer is?  PLEASE tell me that this won't be the newest fad!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone watch I am Homicide last night? It came on twice and I fell asleep in the middle of it both times. Actually I am pretty sure I didn't get past the girlfriend being interviewed and the mom being notified. 

My impression is that I liked the detective. What were people's impressions of the show. Was the case itself any good?

oh and the show with the gurrrrrls from Ohio...my BIL is from there. There is a serious opiate pill/heroin addiction problem in that area. And prostitution, being one, sleeping with them and seeking them out does not seem like a  taboo thing. You should read a topix board from that area. Your eyebrows will disappear into your hairline.

My sister and their three children were living there until last year. I was afraid for their children. There just seemed like a dearth of normal, drug-free, employed stable people there for my sister to socialize with and the kids to play with. They got their air conditioner stolen, flower pots stolen, garden hose stolen, and my favorite ---a bag of aluminum cans. My sister chased the lady down in her car and demanded them back!

Edited by XinaMarie
  • Love 9

Okay, I've now hung in with The Vanishing Women for two episodes. Good lord. They must be competing for an Emmy in the  "draggged-out mind-numbing slow-moving mess of a documentary series" category, perhaps in the subcategory of "with the most gratuitous artsy camera shots."

I effing hate the plague of opioid addiction that afflicts our nation, and clearly is a big player in these stories. It was sad to sit through the many THs of one victim's family and another victim's best friend. And to see the friend visit that grave, for which nobody's yet provided a headstone; it's just the little metal marker surrounded by flowers, balloons, and other tributes. So, I'm getting that this is a place of drug-ruined lives, drug-emptied pockets, and dead dreams.

The probability that I will stick with this series is low. So far the material could have been presented in a snappy half hour episode, not two one-hour episodes. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

The probability that I will stick with this series is low. So far the material could have been presented in a snappy half hour episode, not two one-hour episodes. 

Sorry to tell you, there are six episodes.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Sorry to tell you, there are six episodes.

And the big question looming in my household is how in the world am I going to survive four more Tuesday's of no sleep.  It's that damn song.  When I close my eyes I can hear it.  And it plays throughout the show so I can't just tune in after the beginning. 

The bright side is that it knocked out the ear-splitting 1.877.CARSFORKIDS song in my head.  Or at least it did on Tuesday mornings.

Edited by PsychoKlown
(edited)

The other night I watched an episode of "Cause of Death" (old Forensic Files with new title), called "Punch Line."  The description is "The treatment for an injured hand leads to a murder charge when an ER doctor realizes that a man's claim he cut it on a dumpster is false."  I know I'd never seen this before because I certainly would've remembered it.  Anyhow, I was shocked & had to look away when they showed an actual up close color photo of the asshole's hand splayed wide open during surgery. YUK!! 

After watching I went on IMDB website for Forensic Files and found some pretty interesting discussions I thought some of you might enjoy.  I found myself nodding my head...oh yeah, I remember that one!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247882/board/?ref_=tt_bd_sm

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 4

Snapped: Watching this episode titled  "Laurie Jean Cone"

Apparently Jack, the husband of Laurie Jean Cone was so pissed about his wife's habit of daily gambling away the family money, that he kicked her out of the house and changed the locks... Huh? He kicked her out of her own house ? The house that she has lived in for 29 yrs with her husband. The daughter said that the Laurie ended up "pretty much homeless" sleeping here and there on friends couches.

I'm pretty sure that not legal. All Laurie had to do was get the cops and demand to be let back in. That make zero sense to me.

On 6/16/2016 at 7:48 AM, Maizie131 said:

The other night I watched an episode of "Cause of Death" (old Forensic Files with new title), called "Punch Line."  The description is "The treatment for an injured hand leads to a murder charge when an ER doctor realizes that a man's claim he cut it on a dumpster is false."  I know I'd never seen this before because I certainly would've remembered it.  Anyhow, I was shocked & had to look away when they showed an actual up close color photo of the asshole's hand splayed wide open during surgery. YUK!! 

After watching I went on IMDB website for Forensic Files and found some pretty interesting discussions I thought some of you might enjoy.  I found myself nodding my head...oh yeah, I remember that one!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247882/board/?ref_=tt_bd_sm

I love me some Forensic Files, and thought I had seen all of them multiple times (at least the ones they rerun over and over again on HLN), but I am so happy I decided to DVR Cause of Death even though they were originally Forensic Files epis.  I have never seen most of them, and they are so well done.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I love me some Forensic Files, and thought I had seen all of them multiple times (at least the ones they rerun over and over again on HLN), but I am so happy I decided to DVR Cause of Death even though they were originally Forensic Files epis.  I have never seen most of them, and they are so well done.

They're extremely well-done, especially with Peter Thomas's narration.

Speaking of well-done crime shows, does anyone remember Exhibit A: Secrets of Forensic Science that used to be on ID when it was still Court TV IIRC.  It was hosted by Graham Greene and was also very well done.  Greene was pretty awesome.

And remember dipping into the Case Files of Dayle Hinman lol?

7 hours ago, Albino said:

They're extremely well-done, especially with Peter Thomas's narration.

Speaking of well-done crime shows, does anyone remember Exhibit A: Secrets of Forensic Science that used to be on ID when it was still Court TV IIRC.  It was hosted by Graham Greene and was also very well done.  Greene was pretty awesome.

And remember dipping into the Case Files of Dayle Hinman lol?

Minor nitpick:. TruTV used to be Court TV, not ID.

I don't remember Exhibit A, but I do remember Case Files of Dayle Hinman.  I used to love Forensic Fridays on Court TV.

• Love 2

Body of Evidence: From the Case Files of Dayle Hinman, is one of the shows regularly running (in repeats of course) on The Justice Network. Dayle's svelte figure, acrylic nails, and stiff on-screen persona are on full display. And, strangely enough, I still kind of like the show anyway.

The Justice Network is available in several areas in the US. We get it here both as an over-the-air channel and as a cable channel. OTA, it's a sub-channel of our local NBC affiliate, and on cable it's an SD (but not an HD) channel. 

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

Minor nitpick:. TruTV used to be Court TV, not ID.

I don't remember Exhibit A, but I do remember Case Files of Dayle Hinman.  I used to love Forensic Fridays on Court TV.

Gah...I knew something was hinky but it was late at night and I was too tired to check.  Thanks Smitty!

7 hours ago, auntjess said:

OK, you mute your TV and turn on closed captioning.

Possibly.  But then again I might start whistling the forbidden tune just to break up the monotony of the silence.

Did anyone watch Your Number's Up?  At first I thought it was a very tasteless title and then realized it was about lottery winners.  The case of Jeffrey Dampier, I have heard.  I do think this is original and also the lesson- be careful what you wish for.....

• Love 2
(edited)
On June 15, 2016 at 9:09 AM, XinaMarie said:

Did anyone watch I am Homicide last night? It came on twice and I fell asleep in the middle of it both times. Actually I am pretty sure I didn't get past the girlfriend being interviewed and the mom being notified. 

My impression is that I liked the detective. What were people's impressions of the show. Was the case itself any good?

Garry McFadden is Joe Kenda plus expensive suits minus a toupee. Like Homicide Hunter, the cases haven't been covered anywhere else. (They're in Charlotte, North Carolina.) McFadden talks about one of his cases, the reenactments feature a younger, more attractive man, and a few people involved in the case do talking heads (in the premiere, McFadden's co-workers and the victim's mother).

From the press release https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/investigation-discovery-greenlights-new-series-i-am-homicide-featuring-charlotte-homicide-detective-garry-mcfadden/

During each one-hour episode, McFadden showcases his unorthodox methods to explain how he solved the most precarious cases of his career. He’ll go anywhere, talk to anyone, backup or not. With more than a 90% success rate with the investigations he pursues; he puts it all on the line to solve the crime—and it’s worked for more than 700 cases. This unique look at justice shows McFadden’s fiery passion; all the while he’s wearing the best suits in town. And, after thirty-five years on the force, he shows no signs of slowing down.

Edited by editorgrrl
Forgot to say that I enjoyed the first episode.
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

Garry McFadden is Joe Kenda plus expensive suits minus a toupee. Like Homicide Hunter, the cases haven't been covered anywhere else.

A ringing endorsement if ever I have heard one! I'll try to stay awake next time.

• Love 3

The companion magazine to Vanished is an interesting read.  It has profiles of all the victims and some interviews with family members.  And it has a lot of advertisements about ID shows.  A lot.

I didn't buy the magazine.  I came into work early today to catch up on paperwork and it was sitting on my desk with a post-it note that read "this was in the sha-a-a-dows".

On my lunch break I am going to update my resume.

13 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

Garry McFadden is Joe Kenda plus expensive suits minus a toupee. Like Homicide Hunter, the cases haven't been covered anywhere else. (They're in Charlotte, North Carolina.) McFadden talks about one of his cases, the reenactments feature a younger, more attractive man, and a few people involved in the case do talking heads (in the premiere, McFadden's co-workers and the victim's mother).

From the press release https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/investigation-discovery-greenlights-new-series-i-am-homicide-featuring-charlotte-homicide-detective-garry-mcfadden/

What facts do you have that Joe Kenda wears a toupee ?

• Love 4

I enjoyed I am Homicide with its similar format to Homicide Hunter.  Of course I don't find McFadden's narration nearly as engaging as Kenda's, but then again, Kenda is one of kind.  

• Love 9
(edited)

It appears that in Murder Among Friends, they always use a descriptor for each person involved: Leader Piper, Victim Chester, Little Darrell, Foster Kid Elijah.  And the narrator uses those in pretty much every sentence.  Very annoying.

These kids were absolutely heartless.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 7
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM, applecrisp said:

Did anyone watch Your Number's Up?  At first I thought it was a very tasteless title and then realized it was about lottery winners.  The case of Jeffrey Dampier, I have heard.  I do think this is original and also the lesson- be careful what you wish for.....

I watched it.  I'm surprised that I.D. hasn't run any ads for it. I wonder how many episodes will be in the series.  Are there really that many lotto winners involved in murder?

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

I watched it.  I'm surprised that I.D. hasn't run any ads for it. I wonder how many episodes will be in the series.  Are there really that many lotto winners involved in murder?

There are at least 8 episodes of Your Number's Uphttp://crimefeed.com/2016/06/numbers-might-better-off-not-winning-lottery/

• William “Bud” Post III (Pennsylvania, 1988)
  • Urooj Khan (Chicago, 2012)
  • Denise Rossi (California, 1996)
  • Abraham Shakespeare (Florida, 2006)
  • Jeffrey Dampier (Illinois, 1996)
  • Callie Rogers (UK, 2003)
  • Andrew Jack Whittaker (West Virginia, 2002)
  • Ibi Roncaioli (Canada, 1992)
  • Love 6
On 6/21/2016 at 6:50 PM, Brattinella said:

It appears that in Murder Among Friends, they always use a descriptor for each person involved: Leader Piper, Victim Chester, Little Darrell, Foster Kid Elijah.  And the narrator uses those in pretty much every sentence.  Very annoying.

These kids were absolutely heartless.

this episode broke my heart. I just can't fathom how people could do something like that

• Love 5
On 10/10/2015 at 8:13 AM, editorgrrl said:

I like Homicide Hunter on ID because Lt. Joe Kenda tells it like it is.

Me too.  It's interesting, Kenda lays it down and his recreation actor is good looking.  Win-win.

On 9/13/2015 at 10:06 AM, torqy said:

Anyone catch the Murder Made Me Famous episode about Ted Bundy on Reelz? Actually not bad for what I call "low-budget crime shows."

On 9/13/2015 at 2:49 PM, One More Time said:

I was just coming here to post about this show.  Other than the Jodi Arias episode I am enjoying it so far.  I was really sorry that Ann Rule died before she could give input about her experience with Ted.  And I am dumbfounded that those pictures he kept were never found.  Ted had an enormous ego, almost as large as his lust to kill.  I have read A LOT about Ted back in the day and while I really enjoyed Ann's book I got a lot out of Hugh Aynesworth's  Only Living Witness and Conversations With a Killer.  Aynesworth was able to interview Ted on tape while he was waiting execution and the books gave the reader a look at this monster's mind.  I also broke  down and bought the Dobson tape wherein blames all his crimes on porno.  That tape was done less than12 hours before his execution and I was amazed at the man's self control.

Not sure how to word this properly but Bundy is my "favorite" serial killer.  Man, that sounds terrible.  I've read everything on him and I thought the MMMF episode was pretty good.  Hard to do his entire story in an hour though. 

One of the better "later" books on Bundy for anyone who is interested is Kevin Sullivan's book "The Bundy Murders."  You get a better picture of some of the victims than in previous books. 

On 11/3/2015 at 5:38 PM, LakeGal said:

I watched the show Your Worst Nightmare on Netflilx.  The episode "When the Lights Go Out" was really creepy.  It was scarier than a horror movie because you knew it was true.  It is about Cassie Jo Stoddart housesitting for her aunt.  Truly creepy and scary.  Very well done.  

I caught that episode and found it extremely disturbing to watch.  I had a feeling it would be the person or persons videotaping Cassie at school that day.  Just sick all around.  They were both so gleeful about what they had done (killing an innocent person after terrorizing her) that I don't believe either should get out of prison.

On 11/24/2015 at 1:21 PM, friendperidot said:

AKraven, thank you, it was City Confidential.

City Confidential!  I used to looooooove that show.  Did Bill Kurtis narrate that one too?  I wish that show was still in production.

• Love 1

See also Kevin Sullivan's "The Trail of Ted Bundy: Digging Up the Untold Stories". His first book led to lots of people (friends of victims, people in law enforcement, etc) writing him to give him new or more in-depth information, and he ended up with enough material for a new book that serves as 170-page add-on to his previous Bundy book. He also travels to a great many locations where Bundy had been active, to give descriptions on the various places. Basically, if you were prone to this sort of thing, you could make your own Bundy death-tourism adventure using this book.