Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E23: Surrendering Noah

• Start Topic

Sgt. Benson and ADA Barba take Johnny D to trial for sex trafficking, rape, assault and kidnapping. But when Baby Noah's adoption becomes entangled in the case, Benson fears for Noah's future and his safety. In an intense courtroom showdown, the SVU will face a threat that could change the squad forever.

And thus concludes S16.

^ Can relate!

Just a few minutes in... and weak plot!

*ugh*

Don't like this AT ALL.

Only doing this watch since I'm a helper mod on this board. Other than that, I need to bring out a pillow so I can bash my head against it :D.

My mom watched a little too and finally found out why some of us aren't really into Olivia right now lol. And she's a big SVU fan. I am too, but this Olivia centered plot line is enough to make me stop watching -_-.

Fin's line about Johnny D fits: Shoulda shot him when had the chance.  

Word. Hands down. The guy is a psycho.

• Love 1

Johnny D AND his lawyer better be dead by the end of this episode.

Word.

I hope that it's the case.

And they bring up the damaged goods thing about Amaro. Well it's the 'writer's fault' on that one imo. Not that the character was ever perfect, but I think that there was some character assassination too.

• Love 6
(edited)

Awww, goodbye Amaro. At least he lived, Liv got Noah, Johnny is in hell. Pissed the lawyer didn't get offed or at least arrested. He HAD to have been involved in the witness tampering...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

Thoughts:

1. Yay for Nick living

2. Yay for Barba getting invited to a party

3. Yay for Barba protecting Olivia

4. Tears for Nick being forced out

5. Yay for Nick getting to be with his kids (AND away from his dad)

6. Boo for the possibility of someone besides Nick or Fin being sergeant

7. Yay for the probable ending of Noah’s days as the football to our Charlie Brown

8. Boo for Warren Leight shitting all over Elliot

9. Yay for the team as a happy loving family

10. Yay for the possibility of more of Barba next year

• Love 9

There were things that I didn't like about the episode, but it wasn't that bad.  It somewhat felt like a series finale.

I really disliked that dig on Stabler.  We all know that if it was him in the courtroom instead of Amaro, he would have done the same thing to Johnny D (if he had not already taken him out earlier in the season).  Maybe we can just assume that when Stabler retired, his wife forbade him to have any contact with everyone from SVU so that he could leave that lifestyle behind permanently.  

I was glad that Amaro survived his injury.  Amanda looked very pretty walking in with Amaro at Olivia's party.  I know that Amanda and Nick were the couple, but Amanda and Carisi standing next to each other towards the end also looked very good together.  

• Love 4

The REAL Olivia would never have said that crap about Stabler, not in a million years. And having Johnny D grab an officer & commit suicide-by-cop was very lazy writing.

Whoever okayed that extremely unflattering blue dress for Olivia should be fired.

• Love 12
(edited)

Thoughts:

1. Yay for Nick living

2. Yay for Barba getting invited to a party

3. Yay for Barba protecting Olivia

4. Tears for Nick being forced out

5. Yay for Nick getting to be with his kids (AND away from his dad)

6. Boo for the possibility of someone besides Nick or Fin being sergeant

7. Yay for the probable ending of Noah’s days as the football to our Charlie Brown

8. Boo for Warren Leight shitting all over Elliot

9. Yay for the team as a happy loving family

10. Yay for the possibility of more of Barba next year

11. (And on a shallow note) Boo for not putting Barba in jeans during the party scene at the end.

I totally agree with number 8. I'm going to assume she said those things to make Nick feel better.

Barba is totally going to be the judges favorite prosecutor from now on. I assume the blood on his hands was hers from him taking care of her after she was shot.

Edited by Dot Com
  • Love 2

Agree with you all on the comments referring to Stabler.  The thing that kills me is that I can honestly think of ways I like Amaro more than Stabler (and vice versa), but "I grew more in these last four years" was just a big old Whut?  Out of all the things Olivia could have said, that really came out of nowhere.

Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty average-to-weak episode.  I'm glad Nick gets to go be with his kids and got to smear Johnny D all over the floor on his way out, I guess, but I think it does suck to lose him.  And did no one see the conflict of interest with Noah's adoption coming?  Lord.  

• Love 2

Is there some kind of ban in regards to actually saying Elliot/Stabler? This isn't the first time they've called him "him", " old partner " ect but it's the most its annoyed me.

• Love 8

Awww, goodbye Amaro. At least he lived, Liv got Noah, Johnny is in hell. Pissed the lawyer didn't get offed or at least arrested. He HAD to have been involved in the witness tampering...

Oh. Were we supposed to know he was leaving the series and be worried he was going to get killed? Oops. Missed that.
  • Love 3

Is there some kind of ban in regards to actually saying Elliot/Stabler? This isn't the first time they've called him "him", " old partner " ect but it's the most its annoyed me.

Weird.

*scratches head* It makes no sense.

I thought she was ok in regards to him.

(edited)

The Good:

Lots of Barba.

Fin. When will they learn they should always listen to him? Should have shot him when they had the chance.
The performances from the guest actresses.

Danny Pino did a nice job.

Good use of Carisi.

The last scene was nice.

The Bad:

Lots of Benoah.

Olivia being an idiot in the service of the abominable Benoah plot. Now you're worried about "lying"? When everyone is telling you you don't have to disclose anything?

The pacing. It dragged.

It would have been nice to have an Amaro focused story for his last episode, especially instead of everybody's least favorite plot that doesn't involve primates in sports equipment.

Just about no Rollins. A season finale should give us something for everyone in the cast.

We can't say nice things about Amaro without putting Stabler down?

Overall this was a downer after a comeback season. I guess we should be happy that they wrapped up the interminable adoption plotline, but I have the sinking feeling that his grandparents or mother will be challenging the adoption for sweeps. And I'm sure we'll be seeing some new plot to show us Benson's maternal side. In many ways Olivia's speech at the end sums up the biggest problem with the show. When there were co-leads Mariska Hargitay's ego was held in check (and the focus stayed on the squad), but it's grown out of control in the last 4 years. So we get Benoah and another supervillain evil psychopath with a personal grudge against Benson. It's still much improved, but it's so close to being great again and it's frustrating sometimes watching that potential wasted.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 6

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That stupid quote!

That the relationship with Elliot didn't allow her to grow. Bull. WTF?! was that?

/end rant

Tbh it reminded me of when Eames was on SVU talking about how Goren had 'moved on'. <-- not the exact words, but close enough

That doesn't make sense and it didn't fit the character at all.

What kind of bug is up D. Wolf's butt sometimes? *shrug*

• Love 1

I must've zoned out when she dissed Stabler. What exactly did she say?

Basically that being partnered with eh HIM, prevented her from being happy and having a life. So I guess Stockholm Syndrome kept her joined to Stabler's hip all those yrs?

• Love 1

Basically that being partnered with eh HIM, prevented her from being happy and having a life. So I guess Stockholm Syndrome kept her joined to Stabler's hip all those yrs?

I never viewed it that way tbh. It was loyalty.

I don't get why they're trying to make him into a bad guy.

CLEARLY Elliot was a TERRIBLE person who liked seeing her unhappy and MADE her give up her life and dreams to make him happy and then had the NERVE to have a family. The asshole!

/s

• Love 5

CLEARLY Elliot was a TERRIBLE person who liked seeing her unhappy and MADE her give up her life and dreams to make him happy and then had the NERVE to have a family. The asshole!

/s

No. It just makes NO sense for all of the drama.

*shrug*

No. It just makes NO sense for all of the drama.

*shrug*

To be clear, when someone adds /s to something it means they are being sarcastic. In other words I was being sarcastic about Elliot being a giant dick- we all know he wasn't that way to her. He could be a dick but not that way.

• Love 1

To be clear, when someone adds /s to something it means they are being sarcastic. In other words I was being sarcastic about Elliot being a giant dick- we all know he wasn't that way to her. He could be a dick but not that way.

Ah figured. Yea. It makes no real sense for the writers to head off in this direction.

Mariska is the Queen Bee and appears to still be friends with Chris.

But she spewed that bullshit about Elliott tonight?

SMDH...

Yea SMDH... is where I'm at too O_o.

I never viewed it that way tbh. It was loyalty.

I don't get why they're trying to make him into a bad guy.

Because Chris Meloni dared to leave the show. That bastard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That stupid quote!

That the relationship with Elliot didn't allow her to grow. Bull. WTF?! was that?

/end rant

Tbh it reminded me of when Eames was on SVU talking about how Goren had 'moved on'. <-- not the exact words, but close enough

That doesn't make sense and it didn't fit the character at all.

What kind of bug is up D. Wolf's butt sometimes? *shrug*

Funny, I was thinking of Goren here, too. And on CI, he and Eames had a GOOD ending. And Bobby was adamant in therapy about keeping his job, so yeah, it made no sense, what was said on SVU. I guess Leight was bitter he was shoved out as EP in S8 and that was his revenge, and now ditto for Stabler. I'm not sure if it is Wolf with the issues or Leight himself.

• Love 2

Funny, I was thinking of Goren here, too. And on CI, he and Eames had a GOOD ending. And Bobby was adamant in therapy about keeping his job, so yeah, it made no sense, what was said on SVU. I guess Leight was bitter he was shoved out as EP in S8 and that was his revenge, and now ditto for Stabler. I'm not sure if it is Wolf with the issues or Leight himself.

Yea they did.

Maybe.

I'm figuring that maybe it's a combo of the two. But it seems to be a pattern.

(edited)

When the Judge was shot, I yelled Noooooo at the TV.

That actress pla yed a ADA that was murdered on The Mothership.

I really liked her and was pissed back then.

She 's my fave Judge on SVU, since Petrosky and the one played by Judith Light are gone.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 2

That shade towards Elliot was so weird. Never in a million years would Olivia say that about Stabler. This goes to show, don't piss off Dick Wolf or you will become the red- headed stepchild.

My favorite part of this terrible episode was obviously Carisi. The fall can't come soon enough, because I definitely want to see more of him.

• Love 2

What's worse is, I didn't see Olivia complaining about having no life due to Stabler when he was around. She seemed only too happy playing, for lack of a better term, the "work wife" then. So she can zip it.

• Love 7
(edited)

Olivia and Stabler had a connection that her and Amaro never had. Even though Dick Wolf tried to make Amaro into a mini Stabler, it didn't work. Stabler and Olivia's friendship could never be duplicated.

Edited by Suzy123
(edited)

Rewatching the scene in the diner or whatever with Liv and Barba talking. Sounds like Raúl had a sore throat.

Awww. On rewatch I noticed that when Liv came home after the shooting, the little one playing Noah reached his hand out towards her.

Edited by Dot Com

This episode's plot is what would be called an "idiot plot" because if someone (Olivia) hadn't acted like an idiot (putting the scumbag's name on the record as father) there would be no plot. I enjoyed the episode anyway (except for the Elliot diss) since there was plenty of Barba.

• Love 7

Yes, exactly. It was ridiculous. I can understand wanting a perfect, truthful relationship, and that kids can feel angry if they are kept from knowing their origins, but if that means potentially putting your kid in the hands of a rapist and murderer... come on. Some things can wait until he hits an age of reason. Olivia's father was a rapist, and she doesn't seem to have spent her childhood wishing for a relationship with him. This made no sense.

I wish we could have had this much Barba in a better episode. He got so much to do! He even got to go places other than his office and court. Also, it was fantastic to see so much of the trial - why don't we get more time in court, normally? More Order, please. I'm also a sucker for him getting all het up and concerned about 'Liv' (since they're such besties, will she ever use his first name?). I don't understand how he has chemistry with everyone, but somehow he does. Loved him snarking at the doctor, too.

I have to admit to not minding that Olivia gets an adorable brat to take care of, because that's clearly what the character has wanted for a long time. I just hope that from now on Noah can be heard of and not seen. I mean, if they can roll him out two times a season max, so we can monitor the state of his hair, that would be fine.

And finally, Amaro. It was probably time, but I didn't want it to be time. I agree that they have wasted his potential massively - and I couldn't help feeling that this was what his story was about this episode - he has the potential to be so much more, but the Powers That Be keep holding him back. So the only answer was to go somewhere new and start again. It was so sad that his final episode didn't even focus on him. Goodbye, Amaro, you pretty, pretty man.

As for the dis, I didn't even see it as a dis. Watching, it seemed like Olivia was basically saying that her relationship with Stabler was so much more important to her than her relationship with Nick, that she was obsessed with him and missed out on other good things. And that Nick was a positive influence, once she lost Stabler, because there was more distance there between them for her to fill with other things. That can happen. It seemed like she was just confessing that her love (platonic or otherwise) for Stabler was enough for her at the time, but she knows now that it wasn't going to keep her warm at night or spend the holidays with her. Which is true. When someone breaks your heart, it is your friend's job to help you heal and move on.

• Love 9

Overall I thought this was an okay season aside from one topic, Noah. I hate the Noah centric episodes. She should have never have fostered him let alone adopted him. I realize that I am WAY over sensitive about this because I have been approved for adoption and been on the waiting list for 3 years. There is NO WAY he would have fallen into her custody the way he did. It's a slap in the face to people who have been going through the process. But, potential adoptive parents are a small group and there's not a lot of media awareness about our struggles.

Because of that, I didn't like this episode, aside from Barba. Count me as one of the people who thought the plot was ridiculous.

Now that Nick is gone (I'm glad they didn't kill him off) the show has lost 50% of its appeal to me. Next season, I will watch for Barba, and Barba alone. I'm tired of the Olivia drama, and she used to be one of my favorite characters of all time.

• Love 5

As for the dis, I didn't even see it as a dis. Watching, it seemed like Olivia was basically saying that her relationship with Stabler was so much more important to her than her relationship with Nick, that she was obsessed with him and missed out on other good things. And that Nick was a positive influence, once she lost Stabler, because there was more distance there between them for her to fill with other things. That can happen. It seemed like she was just confessing that her love (platonic or otherwise) for Stabler was enough for her at the time, but she knows now that it wasn't going to keep her warm at night or spend the holidays with her. Which is true. When someone breaks your heart, it is your friend's job to help you heal and move on.

I didn't see it as a slight against Elliott either. I took it more as a dig at the previous show runner if anything. During the Neal Baer era of SVU, Olivia didn’t grow all that much, especially in her personal life. Then Warren Leight comes in and she’s dating, having serious relationships, moving in with Cassidy, becoming sergeant, stepping into a supervisor role at work, overcoming a traumatic experience, starting a family, etc. The show didn’t let her have much of a life in the first 12 years and I feel like her comment to Nick was more of a reflection of that. Now I know most people around here prefer the old way, but obviously the writers, who wrote that line, feel differently so I saw Olivia’s comment as a nod to that.

And if anything, Olivia’s insulting herself more than she is Elliott. She didn’t say Elliott kept her from growing, she said the relationship did, which she willingly participated in and encouraged because she was apparently in love with him. I thought she was saying she failed to change much over those 12 years because she was so wrapped up in her relationship with Elliott and let herself feel complacent with him, but with Nick there was none of those complications because she didn't have those feelings for him and therefore she was able to grow.

Anyway, thought the episode was a little boring.

Glad they didn't take yet another kid away from Olivia.

Didn't always love Nick and his anger but I'm going to miss him. At least they kept him alive and gave him a sendoff that makes sense for the character. 

• Love 9

Olivia and Stabler had a connection that her and Amaro never had. Even though Dick Wolf tried to make Amaro into a mini Stabler, it didn't work. Stabler and Olivia's friendship could never be duplicated.

The thing is, I did think Nick and Olivia played well off each other when he first showed up, before they took him down the nu!Stabler road.  It wasn't the same as her relationship with Stabler, but it wasn't trying to be.  Taken on its own terms, it worked.  I am still just confounded that they couldn't think of anything better to do with Amaro than have him go wild and angry.

• Love 1

Totally agree re: idiot plot (that term is just one of many gifts Roger Ebert gave the world). Liv, do better. And REALLY do better with your outfits (although that's on wardrobe, not her), because that blue dress clashes with your skin and the neckline makes you look like a linebacker.

I didn't know Danny Pino was leaving! I've liked him since Cold Case. Hmph. I'll miss him (I think he's really handsome and love when he speaks Spanish).

When I watched the ep I took Liv's comment about Elliott as shade and was pissed, but reading what a few of you have said, I can see how she was speaking about herself, not him. Still rubs me the wrong way though.

• Love 2

Yea they did.

Maybe.

I'm figuring that maybe it's a combo of the two. But it seems to be a pattern.

I'm kind of doubting it's Dick Wolf. For one thing if there's any producer that understands that cast turnover is part of life for a long running series it's him. Also from everything I've read it seems he's much more personally involved in the Chicago franchise these days and leaves the creative decisions to Leight and company. I could see Wolf being pissed at D'onofrio because of the circumstances and it arguably lead to a loss of seasons. But with Meloni it was just business. And given that ratings were already declining replacing him with someone cheaper probably helped make the numbers work. And that's all Dick Wolf really cares about.

I also think that dig at Stabler made no sense because the format of SVU has changed so much. When it was Stabler and Olivia, their personal lives were not center stage in most of the episodes. But, when it was Amaro and Olivia, it seems like the episodes were more focused on the detectives personal lives.

• Love 1

Whatever it was a dig at, it was nonsensical and petty, and ruined what could have been a nice moment between the actors. I've hated Amaro for a long time and I've had good reason IMO, but he got so much better this season (and hotter too, weirdly? that's unrelated; I'm just saying), so I was sad to see him go though I think it's best for Pino. Pity he couldn't take Rollins with him. 

...And Noah, and have a single-dad sitcom called "That's Amaro." (Why not, it's no more absurd than what's actually on this show sometimes.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Chris Meloni has been gone for how many seasons? It seems odd that they'd be taking shots at him now. Whatever, I hate to see Danny Pino go and wonder if he's got something else lined up.

Also, hopefully they'll dial back on the Noah stuff next season but he is an adorable child. The casting is interesting though because he really looks like he could be Olivia's biological child. Very similar eyes and coloring.

• Love 2