Type keyword(s) to search

The Michael "Sonny" Corinthos Non-Appreciation Thread

• Start Topic

The actual abuse was backstory, but we saw Ray on the show. I think it was that Karen had repressed the memories and when he showed up is when she started to flash back to it, the resulting spiral sent her into Sonny's bed and strip club. Ray ended up the victim in a whodunnit. I think his killer was Rhonda, Karen's mother.

Edited by Melgaypet

It makes me see red when the show is like Sonny doesn't push drugs I hate Luke but at least they stopped whitewashing Luke raped Laura.However the shit that Sonny did to Karen has always been wiped under a rug.Its like they want us to forget it.

• Love 3

The actual abuse was backstory, but we saw Ray on the show. I think it was that Karen had repressed the memories and when he showed up is when she started to flash back to it, the resulting spiral sent her into Sonny's bed and strip club. Ray ended up the victim in a whodunnit. I think his killer was Rhonda, Karen's mother.

I actually think Alan might've killed Ray, because Alan was having an affair with Rhonda and Ray tried to attack her and Alan came to her rescue or something.

Good grief why do I remember that?!

I actually think Alan might've killed Ray, because Alan was having an affair with Rhonda and Ray tried to attack her and Alan came to her rescue or something.

Yeah? You might be right. I do remember that Alan was a suspect.

Yet Sonny still walks among the living.

This is what I'm saying!

This guy started out ruining lives when he got here, and at no point has anyone made a serious attempt to rid the world of him? I think everyone would watch a "Who Killed Sonny?" storyline, if only so they could cheer for the person who ended up doing it. I might or might not be exaggerating when I say 'everyone'.

• Love 7

A "who offed Sonny" story would be amazing, because there is no one in town he hasn't screwed over several times? Is there anyone who doesn't have a motive for offing Sonny? Maybe Obrecht?

• Love 5

Nah, remember he sassed Dr. O when she was doctoring and stuff at GH the night Max got shot by Heather, AKA the night of the AJ reveal. I'm pretty sure that woman has killed for less. Everyone, even the kids are suspects, ugh, besides Spencer. He'd nevwer off Uncle Sonny.

I think this sums of Ron's view of sonny, found this comment on SON

I actually saw a comment elsewhere that I think really probably is accurate to how Carlivati sees Sonny, I'm gonna post it in the Sonny thread.

It's actually worse wrt Benard, as Guza seemed to be slowly phasing Sonny out in his last years on the show.
I've said it before but Sonny is a huge crutch - he has a dozen kids that can push storylines if need be, he's an idiot who can be counted to always make the worst choice (which means you don't have to explain or justify idiot plotting), and viewers have been trained to know Sonny will get away with anything, so they don't complain that much when he does.

Once you start leaning on Sonny you don't stop, especially when you're as lazy a writer as our savior.

• Love 4

viewers have been trained to know Sonny will get away with anything, so they don't complain that much when he does.

Clearly the person who posted that doesn't pay attention to places like this. Seriously, if all the posts complaining about Sonny getting away with anything and everything suddenly got deleted, the episode thread would be half as long. :-)

• Love 1

They do, because they used to post with us at twop. :) Sure, we complain, but no one is actually surprised.

Yeah, if it's who I think it is, they do post here, but not on the GH thread anymore, mainly on other threads here. 

Didn't Rhonda kill him, and Alan helped cover it up. I seem to recall he helped hide the body ? Old age Not such a good memory anymore.ray was either trying to get Rhonda or she finally found out what he did to Karen. Sonny did the same thing. he used drugs., but of course he is the good mobster gag me !

We live in a world where Rupert Giles and Dr. Mark Greene are more vengeful than Sonny Corinthos.

well Giles only appeared to be a mild-mannered librarian. You don't get into a group that's in charge of directing a super-human-powered woman who has to fight the monsters of the world by being a pacifist ;) Of course Giles is meaner than Sonny, heh

• Love 1

Didn't Rhonda kill him, and Alan helped cover it up. I seem to recall he helped hide the body ? Old age Not such a good memory anymore.ray was either trying to get Rhonda or she finally found out what he did to Karen. Sonny did the same thing. he used drugs., but of course he is the good mobster gag me !

I posted the clip in the History Lessons thread. Alan came to her apartment after hearing Ray yelling at Rhonda on the phone. He came to her apartment, saw that he was beating her, and pushed him off of her and into the wall. I think he just wanted to get Ray out of the way, but wound up killing him by accident.

Can someone explain the "towel" thing to me, please?

Briefly, I am here because I used to (for 2 weeks) post on the GH Facebook page, until I got sick and tired of the Sonny apologists and the complete lack of humor/snark on that page.  So glad to be here.

I hate that character with every fiber of my being!  He is one of the most vile, disgusting, misogynistic lunkheads ever to appear on a soap. 

And then I made the mistake of reading a Michael Fairman interview with MB - now I don't like the actor who portrays him, either.  Though I will say, I don't hate him, of course.  I just think he's an overblown, egotistical, somewhat dimwitted guy, who, when asked about Sonny's evilness, basically parrots what the Sonny fans say: "He loves his kids!"

I think when the actor buys his character's own bullshit, it's time to kill off the character.  Unfortunately, he re-signed so that won't be happening anytime soon.

• Love 4

Can someone explain the "towel" thing to me, please?

When Sonny shot Dante in the chest (yes, really) Olivia came flying into the room and said, "Sonny, you just shot your own son!" Then she wanted to get a towel to staunch the flow of blood, I think, and moron Sonny didn't know how to find them. In his own house.

• Love 1

When Sonny shot Dante in the chest (yes, really) Olivia came flying into the room and said, "Sonny, you just shot your own son!" Then she wanted to get a towel to staunch the flow of blood, I think, and moron Sonny didn't know how to find them. In his own house.

That is our Sonny, you all know, the guy who took a half hour to dial 911 when Kannie lay bleeding out on the floor.

• Love 2

Hahahaha!  Another clip I will have to find on YouTube.  Thanks!

Here ya go!

You have to fast-forward a bit to get to the relevant part, because its a fairly long clip interspersed with stuff from baby Connie's baptism. (Long story.) This was pretty much the last time Dante was fully awesome, when he called Sonny a 'cold-eyed bastard who would kill anyone to get what he wants.' Also, just as a note, when I looked up 'Sonny shoots Dante', it also listed 'Sonny shoots Carly', Sonny shoots Robin', 'Sonny shoots A.J.', and 'Sonny shoots Johnny.' So that's five* times he's shot someone onscreen, and yet somehow he's only done two months in prison.

Well, okay, six. They didn't list Karpov, although you can find the clip if you look for it. There's our hero, folks. *barf*

• Love 4

Here ya go!

You have to fast-forward a bit to get to the relevant part, because its a fairly long clip interspersed with stuff from baby Connie's baptism. (Long story.) 

This is a nitpick, but it was actually Joss' baptism. Connie (well, Georgie) wasn't born until 2013; this was early 2010 (although Joss herself was born in late 2009--whew!). 

Edited by UYI

Here ya go!

You have to fast-forward a bit to get to the relevant part, because its a fairly long clip interspersed with stuff from baby Connie's baptism. (Long story.) This was pretty much the last time Dante was fully awesome, when he called Sonny a 'cold-eyed bastard who would kill anyone to get what he wants.' Also, just as a note, when I looked up 'Sonny shoots Dante', it also listed 'Sonny shoots Carly', Sonny shoots Robin', 'Sonny shoots A.J.', and 'Sonny shoots Johnny.' So that's five* times he's shot someone onscreen, and yet somehow he's only done two months in prison.

Well, okay, six. They didn't list Karpov, although you can find the clip if you look for it. There's our hero, folks. *barf*

Thanks!  I watched it all, actually....and had a couple of thoughts.

1.  At the beginning of the baptism, the priest said something about "exorcising demons"??  Never heard that before in any baptism, but clearly it didn't work anyway, considering how Joss is a "Snarly-in-training".

2.  Sonny, I see, doesn't give a crap that he shot Olivia's son, only that it's HIS son.  What a narcissistic creep.

3.  Dish towel?  Really?  And I am amazed Sonny could find the kitchen.

4.  I LOVE this Dante.  Why oh why couldn't they keep the character anti-Sonny?  (I know, different writers)  He was awesome in that scene.

5.  It's very weird for me to see this scene after watching some clips of Jason "at work."  I am surprised he didn't burst into flames.  And making him a godparent, who is responsible for the moral upbringing of a child?  What??!!!

• Love 6
4.  I LOVE this Dante.  Why oh why couldn't they keep the character anti-Sonny?  (I know, different writers)  He was awesome in that scene.

He was actually pretty soft on Sonny before that moment. The whole reason he was caught out in the house by Sonny was because he wanted to give Sonny one last nice day to spend with his family at the baptism before he arrested Sonny. He lied for Sonny but he was actually a lot harsher to Sonny post-shooting for a while than pre-shooting.

Edited by ulkis

I'm sad about what they did to the Dante character.  It really pissed me off when he went to Michael and give him the "I know, Sonny did bad things to me, too, but go see him because he saved your life" speech.  The guy escaped from prison because it just HAD to be HIM to get to the Haunted Star (pure self-interest), did something that was completely unnecessary as Michael had the situation covered (again, pure self-interest and perhaps a medication fail), and somehow this is supposed to make up for shooting Dante in the chest and killing AJ.  And killing a whole bunch of other people, too, including the one Dante referenced (a mentor, I take it).

And Olivia, she still loves Sonny after all that?  Where is the maternal instinct in ANY of these women, besides maybe Lulu, Monica, and sort of Maxie?

I hate hate hate it and I can't stand it that we are stuck with Sonny for 3 more years.  That's if the show lasts or I can stick it that long.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

• Love 4

If someone put a bullet in one of my sons, he wouldn't be standing, let alone helping me staunch a wound with a flippin' dish towel!  I would have taken the gun and shot Sonny myself.

Olivia is such a doormat, I really wish they'd give her a backbone.  They have female writers on GH, why are their scripts so anti-female??

• Love 4

I'm talking moral character not just common murder etc.

I would expect Sonny to threaten and coerce AJ into giving up Michael, I would expect the Qs to take the high road and NOT be just like a common thug. I guess that is too much to ask.

Yes, let's discuss the moral character of Sonny Corinthos, that good man who loves his kids. Let's review:

Morgan - Shot his mother in the head while she was trying to give birth to him because he's so stupid that he mistook Lorenzo Alcazar helping Carly have the baby for attempting to kill her, apparently resulting in a lifetime of at best extreme dimness and at worst Jason levels of brain damage. Betrayed his Kaka secret because he was afraid Michael liked A.J. better, and he wanted to get his favorite possession back.

Kristina - The often-ignored (due to being a girl-child) daughter, Sonny nearly caused her to go Clink-Boom when he tried to murder Johnny Zacchara. Again, it was supposedly an accident, but that wouldn't have made her any less dead.

Dante - The first-born, the once-awesome cop. Sure, Sonny says he wouldn't have shot him if he'd known he was his son, but as a mob boss, self-preservation is always his first instinct, and everyone else can go hang. I guess its a good thing Dante stopped caring about Sonny being mobular.

And of course, Michael, who has been shot in the head, gone through a coma, been in prison, gotten raped, and now is struggling to get a moment's peace from the Sonny-proppers who have been demanding that he forgive the midgety moobster right this instant, no ifs, ands or buts. I don't care if Sonny put them up to it or not. The fact is, all these idiots acting in his stead does nothing but benefit him when he hasn't done anything to deserve it. He hasn't acted sorry. He's even said he'd do it again. Someone in the history thread said they don't need Sonny to repent, and I could almost accept that if everyone else in Port Charles wasn't all up in Michael's grill telling him to get over it now, now, now!

The point is, Sonny ruins everything and everyone. Always has, always will, from Karen Wexler* to his most prized possession (and don't doubt it, that's exactly how he sees Michael) He's destroyed Julian, who is now just another ass-kisser slobber-drooling about how awesome he is. And I know Ron, if he reads posts here at all, thinks we're the ones with the problem because we aren't gobbling this shit up with a soup ladle. Because apparently the only real crime Port Charles is not bowing at the bloody altar of this wee little Napoleon. A.J. never did. His reward was a bullet, and now Sonny is a hero. Blech. Blech, blech, blech.

*There's a piece of history you should check out, the Karen Wexler era when Sonny was still new. If you do, you might notice that not a damn thing has changed about his behavior.

• Love 9

Imo AJ was the stronger person. That he didn't kill Sonny and Carly and his brain damaged brother is a testament to the moral code he picked up from Alan/Monica. The Q's may not be perfect, but they're not Sonny level evil. Monica will and can do whatever it takes to get her son out of charges. Do you really think Carly is so selfless to not have Micheal around so he could not be in prison and get raped? Do you think Sonny would dare lose sight of his Shiny Trophy stolen from AJ? Why does Sonny hate AJ? It's more than he's Michael's biological father. It's that AJ comes from a good family, has an education, in the right environment could have been successful, and is everything Sonny never can be. How did Sonny get where he is? Stealing, cheating, lying, killing. There wasn't any hard work he did beyond bringing others down to get what he wanted. So Sonny saw AJ come back after kidnapping Micheal and still abke to get a relationship with him. Not through lies or deceit, but by being himself. Sonny couldn't handle it because if Micheal knew a fraction of how he really is then he'd loathe him. So Sonny killed AJ. Except the darkness of a lie always finds the light of the truth, so now Micheal knows.

The next logical step is Jason being anti-Sonny.

• Love 2

Yes, let's discuss the moral character of Sonny Corinthos, that good man who loves his kids. Let's review:

Morgan - Shot his mother in the head while she was trying to give birth to him because he's so stupid that he mistook Lorenzo Alcazar helping Carly have the baby for attempting to kill her, apparently resulting in a lifetime of at best extreme dimness and at worst Jason levels of brain damage. Betrayed his Kaka secret because he was afraid Michael liked A.J. better, and he wanted to get his favorite possession back.

Kristina - The often-ignored (due to being a girl-child) daughter, Sonny nearly caused her to go Clink-Boom when he tried to murder Johnny Zacchara. Again, it was supposedly an accident, but that wouldn't have made her any less dead.

Dante - The first-born, the once-awesome cop. Sure, Sonny says he wouldn't have shot him if he'd known he was his son, but as a mob boss, self-preservation is always his first instinct, and everyone else can go hang. I guess its a good thing Dante stopped caring about Sonny being mobular.

And of course, Michael, who has been shot in the head, gone through a coma, been in prison, gotten raped, and now is struggling to get a moment's peace from the Sonny-proppers who have been demanding that he forgive the midgety moobster right this instant, no ifs, ands or buts. I don't care if Sonny put them up to it or not. The fact is, all these idiots acting in his stead does nothing but benefit him when he hasn't done anything to deserve it. He hasn't acted sorry. He's even said he'd do it again. Someone in the history thread said they don't need Sonny to repent, and I could almost accept that if everyone else in Port Charles wasn't all up in Michael's grill telling him to get over it now, now, now!

The point is, Sonny ruins everything and everyone. Always has, always will, from Karen Wexler* to his most prized possession (and don't doubt it, that's exactly how he sees Michael) He's destroyed Julian, who is now just another ass-kisser slobber-drooling about how awesome he is. And I know Ron, if he reads posts here at all, thinks we're the ones with the problem because we aren't gobbling this shit up with a soup ladle. Because apparently the only real crime Port Charles is not bowing at the bloody altar of this wee little Napoleon. A.J. never did. His reward was a bullet, and now Sonny is a hero. Blech. Blech, blech, blech.

*There's a piece of history you should check out, the Karen Wexler era when Sonny was still new. If you do, you might notice that not a damn thing has changed about his behavior.

*Applauds*  Great post, well-written.

Imo AJ was the stronger person. That he didn't kill Sonny and Carly and his brain damaged brother is a testament to the moral code he picked up from Alan/Monica. The Q's may not be perfect, but they're not Sonny level evil. Monica will and can do whatever it takes to get her son out of charges. Do you really think Carly is so selfless to not have Micheal around so he could not be in prison and get raped? Do you think Sonny would dare lose sight of his Shiny Trophy stolen from AJ? Why does Sonny hate AJ? It's more than he's Michael's biological father. It's that AJ comes from a good family, has an education, in the right environment could have been successful, and is everything Sonny never can be. How did Sonny get where he is? Stealing, cheating, lying, killing. There wasn't any hard work he did beyond bringing others down to get what he wanted. So Sonny saw AJ come back after kidnapping Micheal and still abke to get a relationship with him. Not through lies or deceit, but by being himself. Sonny couldn't handle it because if Micheal knew a fraction of how he really is then he'd loathe him. So Sonny killed AJ. Except the darkness of a lie always finds the light of the truth, so now Micheal knows.

The next logical step is Jason being anti-Sonny.

As is your wont, excellent post!  I really hope Jason becomes anti-Sonny.  All the fans who complain that they miss the "old" Jason...I don't know, did they all hit trees with their heads too?  Because from what you guys have posted here, Jason was as big a monster as Sonny, and super-creepy to boot.  But yeah, I totally agree

with you.

Off topic a bit...love the conversations here.  Most are civil, make sense, and are amusing to boot.  So glad I found this site.

• Love 3
As is your wont, excellent post!  I really hope Jason becomes anti-Sonny.  All the fans who complain that they miss the "old" Jason...I don't know, did they all hit trees with their heads too?  Because from what you guys have posted here, Jason was as big a monster as Sonny, and super-creepy to boot.  But yeah, I totally agree

with you.

Which is why I don't think he deserved to become the anti-Sonny. He was worse. I don't want him to go back to endorsing Sonny, but if I see him getting self-righteous over Sonny I might throw up a little bit. :)

Cattitude I don't agree with you re: Sonny and the Qs, so we'll just agree to disagree. I always like reading your posts though. :)

He cares. He may not care enough for your taste (hoping I don't sound snippy there, because I don't mean to), but he cares. Dante would be the first to throw a party if Sonny got out of the mob somehow.

• Love 1

He [Dante] cares. He may not care enough for your taste (hoping I don't sound snippy there, because I don't mean to), but he cares. Dante would be the first to throw a party if Sonny got out of the mob somehow.

I suppose Dante would throw a party, but conversely he told Lulu that he's come to love Sonny, so apparently getting out of the mob isn't really a requirement, because...well, you know why because. The whole have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too is what's got us to this state of affairs, and Dante loving his mobbed up dad (even a little bit) is a symptom of that. And no worries, I didn't think you were being snippy at all. :-)

• Love 2

I would appriciate it if my post don't imported into a thread I don't feel is appropriate for me to post in.(I'm not trying to be rude it just doesn't seem very fair)

I will say I don't think Sonny is a good person but since he is a mob boss and seems to like being one I wouldn't expect him to be a good person.

From what I've seen of the old Jason, I would be ok with him helping take down Sonny, but only if the deep-freeze and accident completely rewired his brain and he is appalled and tormented forever by what he's done - every time he remembers or when someone brings it up to him. 

But the main one to do it should be Michael (I was going to add Monica, but I don't think the writers have any interest in doing anything with her character except perhaps when Jake finds out who he is).  It would be nice if a lot of people joined him in taking Sonny down, but I think that's a bit too much for me to hope for.

I want Sonny to lose everything, and then have a psychotic break that lands him somewhere where we don't see the character for a good long time.  And I definitely do not want to actually see the break, just have him go away - because we don't need any more scenery chewing and that would be the perfect opportunity for MB to ham it up, if he could remember his lines.  Of course, he could just become catatonic, which would be nice because he would have to be quiet. 

I just want him on the back burner, for a change.  And I would like, just one time, to see him pay for something he has done.

• Love 6

I just need Jason for the shock of Sonny losing his other prize. The joy of Jason is alive, then the pain of Jason hates me, then the realization that AJ's life mattered. He didn't snuff out a fellow thug. He killed a beloved son, brother, father, and friend. A man that Sonny and Carly spent years defiling. So to have The Holy Jason actually say "No I want revenge on Sonny for murdering my brother. I'm a shit person for bringing this trash into my family." Well it's the ultimate and one of the only ways to make up for Sonny's magic pardon. Even if AJ were alive, Sonny would still be at fault.

I would appriciate it if my post don't imported into a thread I don't feel is appropriate for me to post in.(I'm not trying to be rude it just doesn't seem very fair)

I will say I don't think Sonny is a good person but since he is a mob boss and seems to like being one I wouldn't expect him to be a good person.

Respectfully, I'm not certain what fair has to do with it. Although if you want to frame it that way, IMO what isn't fair is to say that the Quartermaines are/were anything like Sonny, and I listed several perfectly valid, if incredibly snarky, reasons as to why I think Sonny is worse by an epic amount. Also, as little as I think of him, I respect you and your right to your opinion. I just don't agree with it at all.

• Love 4

Exactly. My main problem with Sonny is that he is framed as a good person and it's just outrageous. He's an awful human being in pretty much every way. He's not a hero. He's not a good father. He's not honest. He doesn't treat women well. He's a murdering, misogynistic criminal who endangers and ruins the lives of all the people he claims to love and yet they all (along with everyone in town, even people who should legitimately hate him) kiss his his ass, let him get away with everything, have him heralded as a hero, and expect anyone with real beefs with him to get over it. Fuck that noise! 

• Love 11

I just need Jason for the shock of Sonny losing his other prize. The joy of Jason is alive, then the pain of Jason hates me, then the realization that AJ's life mattered. He didn't snuff out a fellow thug. He killed a beloved son, brother, father, and friend. A man that Sonny and Carly spent years defiling. So to have The Holy Jason actually say "No I want revenge on Sonny for murdering my brother. I'm a shit person for bringing this trash into my family." Well it's the ultimate and one of the only ways to make up for Sonny's magic pardon. Even if AJ were alive, Sonny would still be at fault.

Jason needs to get his also. He started all this with his taking Michael knowing he wasn't his. Jason allowed Sonny to have his nephew, and hurt his brother. Sonny had no reason to hate AJ only that he wanted Michael. And of course AJ wouldn't cower and back down. He just found MORE ways to stick it to Sonny. Jason found more ways to stick it to his bro. Why because Jason jumped into a car with someone he knew was drunk. Everything AJ did was to have his son returned to him. This show has not changed Sonny still wins AJ is, even dead, fat and bad, Jason will come out of his stupor and the whole town with crawl up his ass. Nothing changes. If Sonny and Jason had a shootout ,killed each other I might come back. Seeing the way frankenRon keep bringing back the dead, maybe not. Edited by testardo
  • Love 2

Unfortunately after this week's episode of Agent Carter, Sonny can no longer be considered the biggest slut on television. At least Howard Stark's conquests get a lovely gift basket; Sonny's are lucky to not get shot, blown up, and/or screamed at and/or abused emotionally.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1