Type keyword(s) to search

The Michael "Sonny" Corinthos Non-Appreciation Thread

• Start Topic

The scenes where Sonny shoots Robin in the arm because he's going after Jax are unintentionally funny to me. She's like "can you at least get me a towel [you dipshit]?"

And he just mumbles "yeah...." and slowly ambles off like this is a big inconvenience for him.

I honestly have been confused for years as to what I'm supposed to get out of the Sonny character. Besides the fact that he's a dipshit.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 5

He LOVES everyone. And to be infected um inflected um to have Sonny's LOVE is the greatest thing since sliced bread and mold. Sonny's LOVE is something you can't hide from, can't deny, cant run from. Sonny's LOVE will get you. You will succomb to Sonny's LOVE.

The notable exception to this is Carly, who has been known to badger and bully her way into Sonny's life, whether he likes it or not. Like this current nonsense with Avery. Only Carly would insist on being by his side when he's already done a fair amount of damage to her actual children. Then again, in a way Carly pretty much is Sonny, just....y'know, taller.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 3
I'm still amazed that Ron has entirely refrained from ever mentioning Deke and the god-forsaken closet since he took over.

I think Ron knew by the time he came on board, that the Deke excuse made Sonny look more pathetic than sympathetic. Whether he still thinks that or they just haven't thought to bring it up again, I don't know. I'll give them some credit and go with the former. Plus they're probably about to use that excuse for Luke now ("my father beat me and I snapped and so you see, I'm really not responsible for every shitty thing I've done since 1978"), so the excuse is already taken at the moment, heh.

• Love 2

I feel the need to bump this thread up with all the Sonny Love going on in the show. I feel we need a place to freely flow our hatred of Sonny.

Why won't someone flip him from his chair? Grow some ovaries, Ava. Ugh. You have no friends.

Max? Are you not sick of getting shot for this douche? Throw him down the stairs? Bonus points if you hit Carly. Triple bonus points for taking out Morgan.

• Love 4
I get why some want this, and for a long time back in the day I did, too, but I accepted the way this show portrays Jason and Sonny a long time ago. Jason and Sonny are GOOD. People, like Carly right now, might freak out for an Emmy reel, but no one is ever going to say what they did was bad. Sam said it last week. He killed for good reasons. That's what this show believes.

I agree Jason is never ever going to get the "you were a stone cold killer who viewed even the people you loved with mostly condescension and mild contempt at times", but I think Sonny was dirtied up more and more at the end of the Guza years. If he didn't say he was outright bad, but he definitely wasn't good at heart anymore. More like the dumb old family dog everyone feels bad for and he's embarrassing and a pain the ass, but gosh, who can send him away, look at his dimples!

• Love 1

I agree Jason is never ever going to get the "you were a stone cold killer who viewed even the people you loved with mostly condescension and mild contempt at times", but I think Sonny was dirtied up more and more at the end of the Guza years. If he didn't say he was outright bad, but he definitely wasn't good at heart anymore. More like the dumb old family dog everyone feels bad for and he's embarrassing and a pain the ass, but gosh, who can send him away, look at his dimples!

I dunno. Yeah, they dirtied Sonny up. They had him shoot people in the head, the heart, the chest, etc, I could go on. But he's still considered to be GOOD. He's still the one fighting "the real bad guys." He still has his family. He still has everything.

• Love 2

I think that the glow of the Sonny/Jason friendship was starting to tarnish the last few years that we had SBu's Jason. Sonny did destroy Jason's pact with AZ to keep Michael safe in prison. And then Sonny got very impatient with Jason during the time Franco was stalking Jason and Sam.  Sonny wanted all of Jason's attention to be on Sonny's bizness.

• Love 3

I dunno. Yeah, they dirtied Sonny up. They had him shoot people in the head, the heart, the chest, etc, I could go on. But he's still considered to be GOOD. He's still the one fighting "the real bad guys." He still has his family. He still has everything.

Now, he does. I was talking under Guza. He started getting rehabbed under Garin Wolf (remember all those endless scenes of him and Kate 2.0 at his house in Brooklyn and him playing the saxaphone? gah) and then Ron took him to shady territory again. Even now I don't know if any of the characters consider Sonny good with all capitals. Maybe just lower-case. ;) I guess the "good-screw up?" People expect Sonny to do evil/dumb things but they forgive him because he loves his kids.

I should also say I think that's what the show wants the audience to believe. I don't think the writers or FV think Sonny is good deep down. They know he's shit too, but they sure for some reason the remaining audience would flee in droves if they dropped the beyond tired and false dichotomy of Sonny the mobster/Sonny the good man.

• Love 1

Even now I don't know if any of the characters consider Sonny good with all capitals. Maybe just lower-case. ;) I guess the "good-screw up?" People expect Sonny to do evil/dumb things but they forgive him because he loves his kids.

I think that's another good point. Sonny does bad THINGS but he's not a bad person. That is what the show has tried to portray for a long time.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1

I just have to chuckle a little at a comment I saw that Sonny would be officially gross if he screwed Nelle. Whew, boy, that line was crossed and is about a bajillion miles away now.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I just have to chuckle a little at a comment I saw that Sonny would be officially gross if he screwed Nelle. Whew, boy, that line was crossed and is about a bajillion miles away now.

Yeah, that's been "official" for decades.

Also, Mo has been really underwhelming lately. Those Sonny/Jason scenes nearly put me to bed with all that lowkey energy. On the other hand, LW was so freaking over the top and loud, so maybe they were trying to off-set that.

• Love 2
(edited)

This passage always reminds me of Sonny:

"You, be an honest man. Continue as the mayor. Continue to be respectable and respected. Enrich the town. Feed the poor. Give orphans an upbringing. Live happy, virtuous, and admired. And in the meantime, while you're enjoying happiness and light, there'll be someone wearing your red jacket, bearing your name in ignominy and dragging your chain in prison . . . there will be many voices around you that will make a great deal of noise, that will talk very loudly and bless you, and only one voice that no one will hear, a voice that will curse you in the shadows."

A bit over-dramatic, but it fits.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
On 4/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, ulkis said:

This passage always reminds me of Sonny:

"You, be an honest man. Continue as the mayor. Continue to be respectable and respected. Enrich the town. Feed the poor. Give orphans an upbringing. Live happy, virtuous, and admired. And in the meantime, while you're enjoying happiness and light, there'll be someone wearing your red jacket, bearing your name in ignominy and dragging your chain in prison . . . there will be many voices around you that will make a great deal of noise, that will talk very loudly and bless you, and only one voice that no one will hear, a voice that will curse you in the shadows."

A bit over-dramatic, but it fits.

What is this from?