Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E24: Luapoʻi (Prey)

• Start Topic

Ok, so where did Charlie come from? He's the kid, right? Who was his father supposed to be? (As you can seen, Rachel is not someone i pay attention to...)

• Love 1
(edited)

Saw that coming with Rachel and Charlie from miles away. She really is a terrible person, isn't she? If Charlie hadn't gotten sick I got the impression she would have taken that secret to the grave. It was possibly the best way to hurt Danny she could have come up with. He loves being a father, he's crazy about Grace. His life revolves around her. To have lied to him about Charlie was just the worst.

I do have to say good for Danny for working to keep his issues with Rachel away from both kids and for insisting that Charlie (and by extension Grace) be told the truth. I can't imagine what Grace's reaction is going to be. She's old enough to understand what is going on and have her own opinions about it.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ok, so where did Charlie come from? He's the kid, right? Who was his father supposed to be? (As you can seen, Rachel is not someone i pay attention to...)

Charlie's the kid, yes. Who his father is--at least until they had the testing for the bone marrow donation & got concrete proof--apparently depends on when you talk to Rachel, & if she's pissed at you for something or not (if you're 1 of the potential fathers).

Way back in the S1 finale, we found out Danny was having an affair with Rachel. Rachel is his ex-wife & Gracie's (& Charlie's) mother. She has remarried, to the wealthy real estate developer, Stanley (aka Stan & "Step-Stan") Edwards, after which she moved to a mansion in Honolulu with her new husband & took her & Danny's daughter, Gracie (who she seems to have had Primary Physical Custody of), with her. Danny packed up & followed from New Jersey so he could maintain his visitation with Gracie, & that's how he eventually ended up on Five-0.

While Rachel & Danny were having the affair (which seems to have started partly because they were really still in love with each other despite the fact they apparently couldn't live together without fighting, & partly because Rachel was apparently lonely because Stan always seemed to be out of town on business--they cast Rachel about 4-6 eps before Stan in S1), Rachel discovered she was pregnant.

As soon as she found out, because of the affair, she told Danny *he* was the father & she was POSITIVE of it. And she made plans to leave Stan & move back to New Jersey with Danny & Gracie & live happily ever after as a family of (at least) 4.

Then all the stuff happened, later in the S1 finale, where McGarrett ended up in Hālawa Correctional Facility, framed by Wo Fat for murdering Governor Jameson. And with Five-0 also imploding around them after Steve was imprisoned, Danny missed the flight back to New Jersey with Rachel & Grace, which he swore to Rachel he wouldn't miss, because he was busy trying to save Steve's ass (among other things).

And Rachel probably got pissed at Danny for that--she admitted to Steve, in the episode where Rachel was introduced (Ep 110), she lets her emotions get the better of her. In an ep early in S2, maybe the season premiere, Danny said Rachel said her original due date was wrong, & the baby was *Stan's*, not Danny's, & she was moving back to Hawaii to give it another try with Stan. (Some fans said TPTB changed the father because so many fans objected to Danny, the "moral center" of the show, having an affair with a married woman... Even if she was also his ex-wife & they were still in love with each other)

But... Around midseason of S2 (Ep 214), Rachel went into labor, Danny said she was "early" (but she might've been "on time" if it was Danny's), while Stan was in Beijing on business. And she called Danny to be her birth partner since Stan was gone. And all sorts of incidents where hospital staff & other fathers at the nursery thought Danny was the father/he & Rachel were a couple (especially since their daughter was also there) ensued.

Regardless of how, at least Danny got to be there when the baby he was told was his, then was told it wasn't (when it actually was), was born. So he didn't miss that, even though he didn't know he was actually watching his son's birth at the time. The baby's name was Charles William (perhaps for his real father, Danny Williams) Edwards. And he's been raised as Stan's son for the last 3 years/seasons--even though Rachel obviously knew otherwise--until now.

And that brings us, as far as I can remember, to tonight's ep... where Danny only learned he has a son because the son needs his bone marrow, the best matches are family, & Rachel, Grace, & Stan don't match. If Charlie weren't sick, Rachel probably never would've told him. But I think a lot of the fans knew most of the time since Rachel got pregnant.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 4

That was actually a more succinct explanation than the 'previously on' segments. :-)

Thanks... I tried, anyway. Luckily the affair/pregnancy/paternity storyline actually wasn't in that many eps in the series between S1 & tonight. And I knew it was gonna be Danny's kid as soon as Rachel said she was pregnant, although the stuff with Danny at the birth cemented it--it was the only way Rachel could have Danny at his 2nd child's birth without admitting it was his kid, after all.

• Love 1

Why did Danny lie to Amber (Melissa?)? She knows he has an ex-wife. She's met his daughter and knows she wasn't delivered by stork. Would it really bother her that much that they have ongoing custody issues? And has Rachel's name never come up? I am not looking forward to the inevitable you lied to me and now I can't trust you anymore conversation Amber is going to have with Danny.

Again with the professional courtesy to Dog the Bounty Hunter! I have a feeling he is not so highly regarded in real law enforcement circles.

So Catherine comes back and is immediately called upon for favors and by the end of the episode is driving a car with lights and a siren on it. Welcome home, Cath.

It also would have been nice to have a line about her adventures in Afghanistan. As I recall she was looking for a specific someone, a kid who had been taken by the Taliban. Did she find him? Did she put her search on hold while taking a vacation for Kono's wedding? And although a Windows Phone is great at picking up Wi-Fi signals I doubt she's getting full bars in the tribal areas!

• Love 2

Why did Danny lie to Amber (Melissa?)? She knows he has an ex-wife. She's met his daughter and knows she wasn't delivered by stork. Would it really bother her that much that they have ongoing custody issues? And has Rachel's name never come up? I am not looking forward to the inevitable you lied to me and now I can't trust you anymore conversation Amber is going to have with Danny.

Again with the professional courtesy to Dog the Bounty Hunter! I have a feeling he is not so highly regarded in real law enforcement circles.

So Catherine comes back and is immediately called upon for favors and by the end of the episode is driving a car with lights and a siren on it. Welcome home, Cath.

It also would have been nice to have a line about her adventures in Afghanistan. As I recall she was looking for a specific someone, a kid who had been taken by the Taliban. Did she find him? Did she put her search on hold while taking a vacation for Kono's wedding? And although a Windows Phone is great at picking up Wi-Fi signals I doubt she's getting full bars in the tribal areas!

I can't remember if Cath actually found her friend's son or not. I know after Steve almost got killed by the Taliban, Cath called & told him she was staying in Afghanistan to keep looking for him. And I thought at 1 point it was said she found him, then decided to stay in Afghanistan to teach or something. But I can't remember which ep that happened in, if it actually did, other than I'm pretty sure it was this season--S5. Especially since McG & Cath went to Afghanistan, then she stayed to keep looking for the kid, in the next-to-last ep of last season--S4.

• Love 1

Aunt Deb (played by Carol Burnett) when she met Cath in the Season 4 Thanksgiving episode, was "pretty sure" that Catherine would be around for a long time and probably eventually be Steve's wife.  When Aunt Deb returned with her fiancé Leonard last year and Catherine wasn't there, Deb asked about Cath.  Steve told her that Cath told him to move on and that Cath had stayed in Afghanistan, teaching.

• Love 1
(edited)

In case anyone's interested, here's a "post-mortem" type interview with Peter Lenkov, about what happened in the Finale & what he's planning for the still-presumed S6. It's from The Hollywood Reporter & is different than the Hollywood Reporter interview published before the Finale aired, which I linked in the Media thread.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hawaii-five-0-finale-danny-794463?utm_source=twitter

And just in case anyone is curious, or cares, HLH--the illness Rachel told Danny that Charlie has--is *real*, & bone marrow transplants are among the recommended treatments for it. If you have it in real life, & are the right age, it appears the place you'd wanna go for at least potential help is Cincinnati Children's Hospital. Here's a link to a Cincinnati Children's Hospital website page about it:

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/h/hemophagocytic-lymphohistiocytosis-hlh/

edmattes76342: Thanks for the help with the Catherine/Afghanistan stuff. I totally remember that now (getting old sucks).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 3

I thought the father of the murdered girl was great (played by a HITG whose name escapes me). A little bloody this episode, yes?? The thumb on the floor.... GAH

"What, so you're gonna sit at the singles table with Kamekona, Jerry and Flippa?" "Yeah, i'll be ok." "What you're gonna be is hungry."   HAAAAAAAAAA!

Poor Stan. :-(

<shallow> Seriously, could DDK's cheekbones cut glass???????????

• Love 3
(edited)

It also would have been nice to have a line about her adventures in Afghanistan. As I recall she was looking for a specific someone, a kid who had been taken by the Taliban. Did she find him?

I thought Steve asked after they said hello and before he had to run off to save the day. But I could wrong; after all, Steve was shirtless. And I actually may be confusing this episode with the finale, I apologize if I am. See: Steve shirtless.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 3
(edited)

Rachel, never liked the character and the actress did not look the same.   Don't know why they brought her back.

I liked Kono's wedding dress, it's something I think the character would wear.  Still her parents' dye jobs are bad.  I like the actor who plays Adam, but he and Kono have no chemistry.  I don't buy this great love of theirs.  I think it would have been more interesting if Adam was not on the up and up.

The cliffhanger was kinda lame.

I actually cried when Steve hugged Catherine.  I wasn't a fan of their romance either, but Steve is just a good guy and he was so happy to see her.

Oops just realized I posted my reply in the wrong thread.  Two episodes back to back is too confusing for me :)

Edited by dirtydi
  • Love 1

Wow. That's some cold work. You didn't want to tell the kid Danno was his dad because he's a cop and it's dangerous. You don't get to make unilateral decisions like that. 

• Love 3

I know this show isn't particularly deep. Steve made a good point that Danno shouldn't be arguing with Rachel all the time because it's not good for the kids. However, Danno could sue for custody of his son, no? Especially if his own bone marrow saves him.

• Love 1
(edited)

At the very least he should be able to take Rachel to court and get the same custodial arrangements for Charlie that he already has for Grace. Complicating that though,  some time on Google showed that Hawaiian law says the mother's husband at time of birth is the legal father regardless of biology, until a court order/voluntary surrender of rights changes that status. Will he do that? Probably not right away, as Charlie is very young and doesn't know Danny at all beyond 'Grace's Daddy'. Danny might be supremely pissed off at Rachel and wanting to get to know his son but I can't see that he'd do that in such a way as to freak Charlie out either.

Not to mention, while what Rachel did was despicable it's not like she is a bad or neglectful mother. A lot factors go into determining child custody but first and foremost is the what is best for the child (at least that is way it is supposed to be ) and family court probably isn't going to give Charlie to Danny just because Rachel lied to him.

I don't think we'll get to see it but I'd really like to see Grace's reaction to finding out that Charlie isn't Stan's child. She's old enough to understand the mechanics and the implications of the lie her mother told. I see some serious trust issues between Rachel and Grace.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 2

Remember when Stan allowed Danny to shoot him, without even knowing the full story, but just because Danny said it was "for Grace"? Stan seems like an exceptionally generous person, and a truly selfless and loving (step)parent. As far as we know, he's done absolutely nothing to wrong anyone, and Rachel (and frankly Danny) have done nothing but use him and fuck around behind his back.

• Love 2

I know. Poor Stan. I can forgive Danny since it was pretty much a one time mistake (and we've all made those). It's not like he and Rachel have been carrying on for years. And also, it's Danny. I'll forgive him just about anything.

But my god poor Stan! To be confronted with the fact that your isn't your child and that the woman you love and trust has been lying all along. It's not like Rachel didn't know until now. She told a deliberate lie. And now Stan is faced with his son being told another person is his Daddy and that person (who has been clear he doesn't like you) now having a moral and possible legal say in Charlie's life. Of potentially at least having joint custody. 

Can you imagine how it will rip Stan's heart out the first time he hears Charlie call Danny 'daddy;? Or when Danny hears Charlie say it to Stan?

Rachel really is a despicable human being.

• Love 1

Remember when Stan allowed Danny to shoot him, without even knowing the full story, but just because Danny said it was "for Grace"? Stan seems like an exceptionally generous person, and a truly selfless and loving (step)parent. As far as we know, he's done absolutely nothing to wrong anyone, and Rachel (and frankly Danny) have done nothing but use him and fuck around behind his back.

The only thing is, we've only seen Stan (played by actor Mark Deklin) in 2 episodes, 1 in Season 1 & 1 in Season 2. And, to me at least, he appeared to be different people in each appearance.

In Season 1, the ep involved (the 1 where the COTW involved Five-0 chasing after a Federal Witness in the Hawaiian rainforest, trying to get her to court in time to testify against a very bad guy so he wouldn't go free on a technicality) had Rachel & Gracie mistakenly victimized in a carjacking meant for Stan after Rachel drove his car while Stan was, as usual, out of town on business.

And the reason for the carjacking--& a subsequent break-in at the Edwards' home--was that the Housing Commissioner was corrupt, Stan knew it & had tapes of their meetings to prove it & the Housing Commissioner somehow knew about them & was trying to get the incriminating tapes back. The only thing is, when he fessed up about the tapes to Danny (who'd gone to pick him up at the airport because he just knew Stan was connected to the carjacking & break-in, in a bad way, & Danny wanted to tell him, privately, to clean up his act before Rachel, or especially Gracie, had to pay for his misdeeds), it turns out Stan had something in mind to do with the tapes which was just as illegal as what the corrupt Housing Commissioner was doing.

So, in S1, Stan didn't really come off as selfless as he did in S2. To me, in S1 Danny's negativity towards, & apprehensions about, Stan--especially regarding how *Danny's daughter* Gracie could be hurt because of how Stan chose to conduct his business--were well-founded. And it's ironic, to me, how Rachel complains about how Danny's job supposedly puts Gracie (& Charlie)'s safety at risk, but she doesn't understand that her current husband, Stan, can also deal--& has also dealt--with characters who can bring equal danger to Gracie (& Charlie) as anyone Danny's been involved with through his work, despite the fact Stan's "just" a real estate developer (which should be a relatively "safe" occupation).

I agree with your view of Stan in S2 though. He has *no* blood ties to Gracie. But because he's apparently come to love her like his own, & because she's been kidnapped & it could mean the difference between her life & her death, he allows Danny to shoot him in the shoulder (though I think the kidnapper ordered Danny to put 3 bullets into Stan, at center mass--Danny aimed 1 at Stan's shoulder, & put the other 2 into the grass nearby in the park they were at during this portion of the kidnapping ep). You have to admit, that is pretty selfless (especially since he pretty obviously had to have surgery to remove the bullet, & might've had to undergo physical therapy rehabilitation, depending on where the wound was & how much damage it might've done, despite Danny's best efforts not to hit him where a lot of damage would be done).

I actually follow Mark Deklin (Stan) on Twitter, mainly because of his connection to H50. Shortly after he joined Twitter, & I followed him, I Tweeted him to ask if he sees Stan as a good guy, a bad guy, or shades of gray/somewhere in between, because I was curious since we'd sort of seen "Corrupt Businessman Stan" in S1 but we'd seen "Selfless Stepfather Stan" in S2. He said he saw Stan as "shades of gray", which I totally agreed with.

• Love 1

Good point about is Stan the shady resort/land developer, or the loving selfless step-father to Grace?  I can see how he can be both.  Often the worst people still love their families.  In S1, he was protrayed as being regretful that his shady business dealings might touch on Grace, but also a tish bit more regretful that his shady business dealings were affecting Grace in such a way as to have Danny--Graces's hothead father--get involved.

One question that hasn't really been answered effectively on the show--but freely speculated about in fanfic, so I may be getting canon mixed up with the imaginary--is:  when did Stan and Rachel start "seeing" each other?  Was that before or after Rachel and Danny divorced?  If it was before, and Danny knows it, that would certainly color his impression of Stan--and not in a good way.  He was betrayed--mostly by Rachel--but also by Stan, so it makes it extra hard for Danny to accept Stan as a part of Grace's (and by extension his) life.  This could also play into when Danny and Rachel had their affair at the end of S1, as Danny feeling no compulsion to ethical behavior, since in a way he was getting some sort of revenge on Stan.

On the other hand, if Rachel and Stan didn't start being involved until after the divorce, then Danny is just exhibiting natural jealousy of having this rich guy step into his daughter's life, and be the "father" around most of the time due to the custody agreement--which also naturally extended to Danny having to move to Hawaii because that's where Stan's business was going at the time.  But Danny seems to take it beyond the usual ex-husband, non-custodial parent resentment and that may be due to Danny being, well, you know, Danny.  Or maybe he's just really, truly bitter and is wallowing in assholeishness for the pleasure of it.

Either way, Rachel doesn't come off very well in this story at all.  Which is a pity, because I do like the actress and I want to like her character.

• Love 1
(edited)

Good point about is Stan the shady resort/land developer, or the loving selfless step-father to Grace? I can see how he can be both. Often the worst people still love their families. In S1, he was protrayed as being regretful that his shady business dealings might touch on Grace, but also a tish bit more regretful that his shady business dealings were affecting Grace in such a way as to have Danny--Graces's hothead father--get involved.

One question that hasn't really been answered effectively on the show--but freely speculated about in fanfic, so I may be getting canon mixed up with the imaginary--is: when did Stan and Rachel start "seeing" each other? Was that before or after Rachel and Danny divorced? If it was before, and Danny knows it, that would certainly color his impression of Stan--and not in a good way. He was betrayed--mostly by Rachel--but also by Stan, so it makes it extra hard for Danny to accept Stan as a part of Grace's (and by extension his) life. This could also play into when Danny and Rachel had their affair at the end of S1, as Danny feeling no compulsion to ethical behavior, since in a way he was getting some sort of revenge on Stan.

On the other hand, if Rachel and Stan didn't start being involved until after the divorce, then Danny is just exhibiting natural jealousy of having this rich guy step into his daughter's life, and be the "father" around most of the time due to the custody agreement--which also naturally extended to Danny having to move to Hawaii because that's where Stan's business was going at the time. But Danny seems to take it beyond the usual ex-husband, non-custodial parent resentment and that may be due to Danny being, well, you know, Danny. Or maybe he's just really, truly bitter and is wallowing in assholeishness for the pleasure of it.

Either way, Rachel doesn't come off very well in this story at all. Which is a pity, because I do like the actress and I want to like her character.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was at least implied--I think by 1 of the Five-0's other than Danny or Lori (who was on the team at the time but only peripherally involved in the case), but maybe by Rick Peterson, to piss off Danny--in the ep where Grace was kidnapped by Danny's ex-partner Rick Peterson that Stan took Rachel away from Danny (i.e. they were seeing each other while Rachel was still married). I swear I remember that line (Stan took Rachel away from Danny) coming up in an ep, definitely somewhere other than fanfic, & I'm pretty positive it was in Grace's kidnapping ep, but I can't remember who said it.

Don't forget... Danny's not only resentful that Stan gets to play "Father" to Gracie since he actually lives with her more than Danny does (at least in the early seasons, until the custody agreement was redone to allow Gracie to stay in Hawaii with Danny instead of moving to Vegas with Rachel, Stan, & Charlie), but he's also pretty resentful Rachel "married up"--Stan has enough money to give Gracie (& Rachel... & Charlie, now that he's been discovered to be Danny's son) pretty much anything & everything she wants, like when he bought her a cellphone somewhere before we saw Gracie with it in Ep 123 (where Danny was poisoned by the Sarin); although you could also say Stan's doing that stuff to "buy" Gracie's love (& perhaps loyalty, if a situation ever were to arise in which he'd need that), since he's only her "bonus" father by marriage.

Danny, I think deeply, resents that he can't give his daughter (& now son, I'm sure) anything & everything she wants, & he resents that he should be the 1 giving her these things, instead of Stan, but he can't because of his cop's salary, which in no way compares to Stan's (even though he's now part of Hawaii's elite Five-0 Task Force).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

Liked how Chin Ho was concerned with Adam and his dealing with reputed Underworlds figures. He had pictures of Adam and the head. Steve said to talk to Adam about before he told Kono. Good advice.

I thought Bounty Hunter Richie Malloy was to nice to be true. But to bad Bounty Hunter Greg Farmer was murdered and lucky Officer Derek Nuss was only wounded. Didn't mind seeing Jennifer Leddy's father Malcohm having murderer Andrew Pelham strung up. But worried that Leddy would be killed too. Was nice for Dog to have a small part. At-least he gave Steve and Danny an idea. But Pelham got in Leddy's head and the team needed to save him.

Rachel Edwards had a big thing to tell Danny. He found out that Charlie was his, and need bone marrow. So how long before Danny would have known if he didn't need it? I hated that Dano lied to Melissa(Amanda) Armstrong about meeting Rachel.She after peeking has to wonder what is up.

I thought the father of the murdered girl was great (played by a HITG whose name escapes me). A little bloody this episode, yes?? The thumb on the floor.... GAH

"What, so you're gonna sit at the singles table with Kamekona, Jerry and Flippa?" "Yeah, i'll be ok." "What you're gonna be is hungry."   HAAAAAAAAAA!

Poor Stan. :-(

<shallow> Seriously, could DDK's cheekbones cut glass???????????

Rewatched this last night and stand by all of my previous comments - and laughed just as hard at "What you're gonna be is hungry." Followed by "Melissa has a friend..." "NO!"