Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E12: Holding On For Dear Life

• Start Topic

(edited)

To me these players are almost all villains yet somehow also bland and careful, which has just made for a terrible season. And I don't think I've seen such universal hatred for a season. People hate this season everywhere. Normally there's some place I go to where most are loving the season, but not this time.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Yeah, it's a bit odd that pretty much everything interesting about this cast is something negative. I mean, they would show us the positive parts, if there were any. That shit is good TV, too, keeps us coming back to root for our favorites. Even on The Bad Girls Club, the show that seems to revel most of all in the disgusting depths to which people are able to sink just to be on TV, they tend to have likable characters to contrast with the assholes. I figure the cast of Survivor this season just wasn't generally very likable. Bunch of assholes, simple as that.

And as far as what Jeff was thinking, or what he meant, when he said whatever he said ... I have no problem believing that Jeff thinks this season and its cast are awful (or doesn't give any fucks at all as long as the paychecks keep rolling in), despite his saying whatever he needs to say in order to market his product. We're talking about TV producers, there's no reason to expect honesty.

• Love 1

To me these players are almost all villains yet somehow also bland and careful, which has just made for a terrible season. And I don't think I've seen such universal hatred for a season. People hate this season everywhere. Normally there's some place I go to where most are loving the season, but not this time.

I'm enjoying this season. I loathe the goat strategy and this appears to be the inevitable result of allowing the crap to rise to the top. Everyone in the jury should be embarrassed by how they allowed this season to work out.

More importantly, I have no idea who is going to win. That makes me happy.

More importantly, I have no idea who is going to win. That makes me happy.

If Mike goes in this next ep then I will go into the finale with no idea who wins and I do enjoy that aspect. It's kinda fun. But the only reason I won't know who wins is because the editing is so bad, so it's not as fun as it would be if I didn't know who was going to win because everyone was edited really well and/or anyone could win because they all played well. 

I can think of three possible explanation for Jeff's comments about this being such a great season - 

1) It was a great season, but the editors suck and the producers didn't bother to watch the edited film.

2) Someone needs to buy Jeff a dictionary and make sure that he uses it to check the definition of any adjectives he wants to use.

3) Jeff is right that the majority of the population loves this season and the posters on this forum are just a small group of extremely intelligent, witty, and insightful people (who also happen to be very good looking and have charming personalities) who are in the minority.  

• Love 9

I am giving Jeff the benefit of the doubt and say he had no clue what Dan was saying in confessionals, how sexist Rodney and Dan were in their conversations and talking heads, and just how bad Will's attack was. I fully believe that there was more going on with Carolyn and Tyler then we were shown, that Rodney was entertaining in a meat head way, and that Dan can be a clown when he is not being an asshole.

• Love 1

His embarrassing "jumping the shark" comment comes from a Dalton Ross interview.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/24/jeff-probst-names-his-favorite-survivor-winner-non-winner-twist-challenge-and

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I still think he was possibly being sarcastic when he said that. I think that whole interview was done face-to-face with Dalton on camera (see the clip), and he probably gave the camera a little eye-roll when he said it to tweak the fans who always cry "jump the shark!" every time the show debuts a new twist they don't like. (Though I concede it's possible he read those comments after every new twist and concluded they must be some sort of compliment.  Who knows?)

3) Jeff is right that the majority of the population loves this season and the posters on this forum are just a small group of extremely intelligent, witty, and insightful people (who also happen to be very good looking and have charming personalities) who are in the minority.

I think this has a lot to do with it. I've found that with many of the shows I watch from Real Housewives to Walking Dead to Survivor, the general population has very different reactions than the people on this forum. Which is why I'm so thankful for this place! We don't all agree, but the posts here are generally thoughtful and interesting. 

I will say, I'm not hating this season. Despite not really LIKING many of the cast, I've still found it generally interesting and plenty snark-worthy. But there also have been some horribly uncomfortable moments, which definitely prevents it, IMO, from being "the best ever!".

What I dislike on this season is the editor's desperate effort to create drama and keep people on edge when in reality nothing happens. I also dislike the lack of strategy shown by each one of the players and the focus on the fights, the insults, the unnecessary drama. Also when something important happens, we don't get to see what happens afterwards. If this season was edited in a way where we would lose the unnecessary drama and see the strategy of all people one by one, I'd say it's a good season and maybe I'd like some of the players more.

• Love 3

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I still think he was possibly being sarcastic when he said that. I think that whole interview was done face-to-face with Dalton on camera (see the clip), and he probably gave the camera a little eye-roll when he said it to tweak the fans who always cry "jump the shark!" every time the show debuts a new twist they don't like. (Though I concede it's possible he read those comments after every new twist and concluded they must be some sort of compliment.  Who knows?)

Possibly.  But really, it's Jeff Probst.  The King of Hyperbole.  I think he was completely serious when he seems proud about "jumping the shark" so many times.