Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E12: Holding On For Dear Life

• Start Topic

Speaking of frogs, I did love that one shot where a frog jumped out of the water at night and then in the daylight it was a bird taking off out of the water. Neat camera work, that.

Speaking of nature shots...How much did we all love the shot of the bees' nest getting jostled before that bit where Rodney was down at the water's edge kicking rocks and frothing at the mouth!?!?!

• Love 13
The non-goats may not be the greatest group ever compiled, but it irks me to see Dan and Will cruising past them to the end by virtue of being awful people as well as awful players.  It's like they're being rewarded for being gross mistakes of casting.

I can almost tolerate goats who don't realize they're goats (i.e. Dan) because there is a least a chance at seeing them get their just desserts.

But Will?  He's just, sort of, there.  Clearly he's a goat.  If he doesn't think he's a goat, I'd really like to see him say that.  If he knows he's a goat, I'd really like to see that too.  

Which, now that I think of it, I honestly can't remember a single Confessional by Will.  And I can't recall any where he's explained what his strategy is.

• Love 5

LOL at Tyler basically begging Carolyn to play her idol for him. And LOL at him going out without so much as a whimper. I am SO giddy over Tyler getting booted because Mike used the idol he only found because Tyler told him the entire clue and then didn't even bother to look for the idol himself. Yea, Tyler was a really great player. LOL.

I was really hoping he'd turn and say:  Good luck guys, by the way Carolyn has an idol.   I mean once you're voted out and on the jury who cares unless he really, really wants her to win but otherwise why not stir a little shit on your way out (not sour grapes stirring just let's screw with the game a little).

I agree Mike only kept on with the ball launcher because he knew it would take Sierra two, three or more try's to get the hang of it and that was time they didn't have.  But I hope he explained that to her at some point; it's possible since he does seem pretty aware of the don't piss off people if you need their jury votes rule of gameplay.

I said it before and it hasn't changed; Rodney came into this game on day 1 with the attitude that it's his game and his island and he's just allowing everyone else to be there.  They're his challanges and his rewards and it all belongs to him and how dare you not recognize his superiority and hand over what he is obviously due right now.  

I sorta hope Will ends up in final just to see how he'd try to spin that he "played" this game in any way at all

• Love 7

Poor Rodney. Not only did he miss the annual Rodney Day parade in Boston, and the citywide birthday celebration with fireworks and the mayor of Boston presenting him with his weight in gold (150 pounds yer onnah! ) but he also missed a Survivor reward!

Of course, chances are, most of those orphans don't even know when their birthdays are, and are happy just to have enough to eat each day. My aunt ran an orphanage in Guatemala and it wasn't easy. But enough about the orphans..let's pity poor Rodney!

I am sorry that Mike had to burn off his idol, because he's the only one left to root for, IMO.

BTW, for those worried about the perceived spoilers in the potential casting of Mama C and Mike in the second chance season, Jeff says that in the case of either of them winning, their spot will go to the person with the next highest number of votes. So no spoilers here.

• Love 16

When they were lined up for the immunity challenge, it struck me that Rotney appears quite short.  Mike was right next to him and he towered over him.  Mike is probably about 6'2".  How tall is the Rot?  I think probably about 5'5" or less?  He seems to have classic short man syndrome.  Can't do anything about the height so he just overinflates at the chest.  Quick tempered and hotheaded.

• Love 4
I was really hoping he'd turn and say:  Good luck guys, by the way Carolyn has an idol.   I mean once you're voted out and on the jury who cares unless he really, really wants her to win but otherwise why not stir a little shit on your way out (not sour grapes stirring just let's screw with the game a little).

You know, I can't recall ever actually seeing this happen, although there have been plenty of times when I could see it happening.

I realize there have been times where after the season is over we learn that everyone knew that so-and-so had a HII, even though we never saw  anyone learn about it on camera.  

But I wonder if there's a contractual thing prohibiting anyone from giving information away like that as they're being eliminated (sort of an in-game non-disclosure agreement)?

• Love 3

The non-goats may not be the greatest group ever compiled, but it irks me to see Dan and Will cruising past them to the end by virtue of being awful people as well as awful players.  It's like they're being rewarded for being gross mistakes of casting.

Yeah. And Rodney too - it kills me that no matter how much he annoys the crap out of everyone, nobody ever discusses the possibility of voting him off. His name never comes up in those discussions. It's only Dan, because he's got some kind of advantage, and Tyler because he's a threat. Never Rodney, never Will. 

What's really nauseating is that some combination of Will, Rodney and Dan will be in the final three, and will spend the rest of their lives convinced they got there because they played brilliant games. I can't stand the thought of their smugness, they'll never be convinced they were dragged to the end because they're useless pieces of crap nobody would ever vote for. Gold help me if they're the final three.

The failure to actually show how the schoolyard pick went down was more egregious than usual considering how it affected the game. I can't imagine Mike got first pick and chose either Carolyn or Sierra so it's far more likely one of those two women chose Mike over Will, their own alliance mate. Which just further goes to show they care more about winning food than they do about their alliance, and know what a big fat useless piece of shit Will is. (Oh, I'm sorry - was that personal? No, it's not. Because it's true. So long as it's true, it's not personal. Will's own words.)

• Love 12
(edited)

The failure to actually show how the schoolyard pick went down was more egregious than usual considering how it affected the game.

Jeff actually did announce the schoolyard picks as the players were setting up for the challenge: Dan chose Tyler and Rodney; Carolyn chose Mike and Sierra. Not sure but since that's the way Jeff worded it, can we assume that was the order of the picks?

Edited by dbro
  • Love 6
I can't stand the thought of their smugness, they'll never be convinced they were dragged to the end because they're useless pieces of crap nobody would ever vote for. Gold help me if they're the final three.

This is one season where I would gladly welcome the "my question is . . . you suck" from the jury, all directed at Will and/or Dan by every. single. juror.  Followed by absolutely no votes for them.  That might be a wake-up call.  No guarantees, but a guy can dream.

what a big fat useless piece of shit Will is. (Oh, I'm sorry - was that personal? No, it's not. Because it's true. So long as it's true, it's not personal. Will's own words.)

You're fine.  God hates big fat useless pieces of shit.  (I read it on Mike's back).

• Love 16

I was really hoping he'd turn and say: Good luck guys, by the way Carolyn has an idol. I mean once you're voted out and on the jury who cares unless he really, really wants her to win but otherwise why not stir a little shit on your way out (not sour grapes stirring just let's screw with the game a little).

Once you're eliminated and your torch is snuffed, you can't say stuff like that. Which is why we've never seen it and it makes me crazy because it would be the perfect exit line.

• Love 4

What's really nauseating is that some combination of Will, Rodney and Dan will be in the final three, and will spend the rest of their lives convinced they got there because they played brilliant games.

True, but if they're voted out before F3, they'll be convinced it's because they were such huge threats to win.

• Love 1

I don't know that anything would convince those three that they weren't huge threats/the greatest players out there. They're all just like RHantz--he played three times and was a goat for two of them, and still thought he was the best player ever. They are all heinous.

• Love 3

Once you're eliminated and your torch is snuffed, you can't say stuff like that. Which is why we've never seen it and it makes me crazy because it would be the perfect exit line.

BUT! You can say it before you get snuffed, right? like. people go "nice one guys, nice one" so just a little. "Wow, Carolyn, thought you'd give me your idol to save me. might fly?

(also I didn't know you couldn't use game-impacting things once eliminated. boo). 

• Love 1

Crush update: still have a huge one on Mike. But have a strong feeling that he will be way less crushable once he does the ubiquitous shave and "clean-up" for finale. So many players look better on the island.

I completely get why players want to goats around. At this stage, though, is there perhaps a value in keeping one player better than you? As in, keep the target off your back? I so wish Mama C and Mike would join up. At least then a non-vile person would win. I guess Sierra's okay. As long as they make the giant check out to her eyebrows.

I'm expecting a 2-goat, 1-non finale, and would die for a juror questioning like:

"Will, why do you suck so much?"

"Dan, why do you suck so much?"

"{non-goat}, how did you deal with two people who suck so much?"

• Love 10

I sorta hope Will ends up in final just to see how he'd try to spin that he "played" this game in any way at all

The only thing that would redeem Will being in the FTC is if no single jury member asks him a question or directs any comments toward him.

• Love 3

All other things aside, I think Carolyn's play was brilliant tonight. She has managed to always make sure she's aligned with the larger group, and sensed a shift in sentiment. She got rid of the only person who knew she had an idol, and if she can get Dan and his two votes aligned with her, Mike and Sierra, she might coast into the final 3.

• Love 5
(edited)

I was really hoping he'd turn and say:  Good luck guys, by the way Carolyn has an idol.   I mean once you're voted out and on the jury who cares unless he really, really wants her to win but otherwise why not stir a little shit on your way out (not sour grapes stirring just let's screw with the game a little).

I said the same thing to Mrs Boilergal - I wonder if there there is a rule that once they are voted out they are not allowed to say anything game related. 

Nevermind - answered.

Edited by Boilergal

There is a Dan video on the reward challenge where he discusses his adoption. That part was nice but I am glad that he didn't go because it would have been awful how he would have talked to those kids. Just would have been weird watching him try and connect to the orphans.

• Love 5
(edited)

Will reminds me of a walrus who just had the big fish he caught stolen by a female walrus.

OMG cooksdelight you found it!   That's our new category of Will-like player:  a Walrus!

ETA: On second thought, maybe we should also consider the Manatee?

Edited by Special K
  • Love 3

And where the hell are those sandwiches he promised?

• Love 6

Rodney's whining about his birthday reminds me of someone on another reality show. Could it be that Rodney is Stassi's long lost poor cousin.

Vanderpump rules fans will know who i'm talking about!

• Love 2

Were I on this jury, that would be just about the only question I would want to ask Will: "Where, pray tell, are those sandwiches you promised us?" And then I'd mutter something about "bearing false witness" while he tried to come up with an answer.

Among the many things that the editors haven't done this season is give any indication if the remaining players actually realize that Dan is a goat and that Will is a walrus (This. Yes. Hi-fives to you, cooksdelight). It seems like a reasonable assumption that, much like Russell and Kass before them, neither of them realize that about themselves, but do Rodney and Carolyn and Sierra actually see this? The fact that Dan received votes at the previous TC and that his name was floated again for this one makes me question if they are aware of the fact that the current jury members would almost certainly not vote for him. But the majority alliance has been so intensely focused-- at least that we've seen-- on short-term objectives and threats that it's hard to say what their actual end-game strategies might be.

I mean, I appreciated that the editors included Dan's confessional about taking offense to Rodney's adult temper-tantrum because it made him look just that much more ridiculous and reprehensible. But one of the things that has made this season so frustrating is that there is just so little indication of what, if any, strategy is at play.

• Love 4

Dan probably ate them all, before they were even completely assembled, while giving some big, pontificating speech, and spraying breadcrumbs in Will's face.

• Love 7
(edited)

Rodney's whining about his birthday reminds me of someone on another reality show.

It reminded me of "the red hots were for my mommmmmmmie!" from that psycho they had to psych-evac from Top Chef.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 8

When they were lined up for the immunity challenge, it struck me that Rotney appears quite short.  Mike was right next to him and he towered over him.  Mike is probably about 6'2".  How tall is the Rot?  I think probably about 5'5" or less?  He seems to have classic short man syndrome.  Can't do anything about the height so he just overinflates at the chest.  Quick tempered and hotheaded.

Yes! This!^^^. I know so many short statured guys who act the exact same way Little Rodney does.

• Love 3

There is a Dan video on the reward challenge where he discusses his adoption. That part was nice but I am glad that he didn't go because it would have been awful how he would have talked to those kids. Just would have been weird watching him try and connect to the orphans.

"Hey kids! I was an orphan, too! If you play your cards right, maybe you can get adopted and wind up over fed, big mouthed, and entitled, too! We're exactly the same!!"

• Love 4
I'm expecting a 2-goat, 1-non finale, and would die for a juror questioning like:
Wasn't last season kind of like that?  We had Missy, despised by many.  Kelly, viewed as riding Jon's coattails and making no moves in the game.  And then the only truly deserving one, Natalie, who truly played well.

If we end up with a Dan, Will and Rotney finale three, I want someone (Shirin?) to use their question and do a Kelly Taylor.  Just get up there, say "I choose me" and sit down.

Ugh.  Dan's still there.  Will's still there.  Rodney's still there and throwing a pity party for himself.  Not a good episode overall.

At least someone threw some kind of party for Rodney, even if it was a pity party that he threw for himself, where he was the only guest, on his birthday.

Maybe it's just me, but after 21, do birthdays really matter that much? 30 was big, I guess, and 40 may be, but I personally wouldn't expect virtual strangers that I've known for 30-ish days, who I'm competing against one million times over, to give up an advantage to me for my birthday. Guess that's why he was on "Survivor" and I wasn't.

Team Mike at our house.

• Love 6
(edited)

I am allllll about my birthday and I've passed 40 in the mirror. I mean, I wouldn't throw a temper tantrum if I didn't get to go on a reward but then again in the Survivor I play in my head I don't lose challenges.

Also my birthday is on Halloween and there is no way in hell I would spend it on some island with detestable people.

At least someone threw some kind of party for Rodney, even if it was a pity party that he threw for himself, where he was the only guest, on his birthday.

I love this so very much.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

I was really hoping he'd turn and say:  Good luck guys, by the way Carolyn has an idol.

DAMN.  I really did not know that.  Where was I?

Another thing about Rodney is, remember that one episode where he talked about how "jacked" he is. Yet he couldn't even hold onto the ropes long enough, just gave up and fell in. It seems he was just half assing the IC. Maybe food was a factor in him giving in but I really don't wanna give him an excuse as to why he keeps sucking during challenges. 

• Love 1

The problem with the "suspenseful editing" on this show is that we'll never really know what tipped the scales for Carolyn in her decision to vote out Tyler (probably). It seems to me the further Dan gets with that voting advantage the more dangerous he becomes, especially if he's allowed to use it at final four. That would all but give him the ultimate say in who goes home at that point. Unless of course the plan is to go to the final four with Dan because nobody would vote for him. But Carolyn has to get there herself because Dan probably doesn't want her there. With Tyler gone, Carolyn should be the next target (after Mike). Then again I'm not convinced Dan or Will are bright enough to understand nobody will vote for them.

• Love 1
The problem with the "suspenseful editing" on this show is that we'll never really know what tipped the scales for Carolyn in her decision to vote out Tyler (probably). It seems to me the further Dan gets with that voting advantage the more dangerous he becomes, especially if he's allowed to use it at final four.

Assuming the extra-vote advantage expires the same time the ability to use the HII does (because, otherwise, it's a really big deal) Carolyn still has the HII in her pocket (which, for all we've been shown, no one knows about).  That trumps an extra-vote.

Carolyn probably wanted to get rid of Mike and Tyler before F4.  It might not have mattered to her which order that happened in.  But I'm sure she never seriously thought that Mike wouldn't play his HII this week.  Or, maybe she even figured that a few days at Ponderosa would give Tyler some time to relax about her flipping on him before FTC.  There does seem to be a direct relationship between how far a player makes it in the game and how bitter they tend to be at FTC. 

If Carolyn assumes that Mike will be everyone's target next week at the F6 TC, then she should feel safe keeping the HII in her pocket, thus guaranteeing herself a free-pass through the F5 TC and into the F4.  

• Love 2

Jeff actually did announce the schoolyard picks as the players were setting up for the challenge: Dan chose Tyler and Rodney; Carolyn chose Mike and Sierra. Not sure but since that's the way Jeff worded it, can we assume that was the order of the picks?

But - how is it decided that Dan and Carolyn are the team choosers?   

I'd love to see that process, because when they do a team challenge, it seems to often reinforce existing alliances or switch them up.  

• Love 1

Why on earth are these idiots all sitting there grinning about getting rid of Tyler when what they should really be thinking is: Why is Carolyn willing to vote out her up-to-this-point closest ally? She's too smart not to have a good secondary plan to go to, and they should be wondering what that is.

I know, the answer is in the question: idiots.

• Love 6
Another thing about Rodney is, remember that one episode where he talked about how "jacked" he is. Yet he couldn't even hold onto the ropes long enough, just gave up and fell in. It seems he was just half assing the IC. Maybe food was a factor in him giving in but I really don't wanna give him an excuse as to why he keeps sucking during challenges.

I think Rodney is all gym muscles. They look good, but don't exactly accomplish much. Mike, OTOH, looks like someone who actually USES his body in similar ways, and often. As with most things, Rodney is all talk. 

• Love 12

But - how is it decided that Dan and Carolyn are the team choosers?   

I'd love to see that process, because when they do a team challenge, it seems to often reinforce existing alliances or switch them up.  

I don't agree that the division enforced alliances.  There appeared to be a core alliance of four - the Rot, Will, Carolyn and Tyler.  Sierra and Dan are 5 and 6.  Will didn't even get picked and Mike's team had Mike, one of the 5/6, and one of the 4.

It seems pretty obvious to me that there was a random draw for captains, and that Dan got first pick.  That's how he ended up with two guys.  He hates Mike so wouldn't pick him, so he picked Tyler because he thinks Tyler is athletic and strong.  Carolyn picks Mike.  Dan picks the Rot, because Will is fat (even though God is his witness and they're going to the end together) and Sierra is a woman.  Carolyn picks Sierra, which is not surprising. 

As soon as Jeff said one person would have no chance, I knew it would be either Will or Dan.

• Love 6
Why on earth are these idiots all sitting there grinning about getting rid of Tyler when what they should really be thinking is: Why is Carolyn willing to vote out her up-to-this-point closest ally? She's too smart not to have a good secondary plan to go to, and they should be wondering what that is.

I know, the answer is in the question: idiots.

Lol, yea....you really answered your own question. These people just don't think. period. Save Mike and Carolyn. Dan STILL hasn't really copped to the fact that he's never been a major factor in his alliance. Tyler didn't seem to worry much about his buddy flipping on him. Does Will even have a strategy? Other than falling off/down/out first in every endurance challenge? And when we DO see someone thinking - Rodney - it's some idiotic idea, to pretend to WANT to be voted out, because surely that will make Mike forget to use his idol. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Rodney is all gym muscles. They look good, but don't exactly accomplish much. Mike, OTOH, looks like someone who actually USES his body in similar ways, and often. As with most things, Rodney is all talk.

Mike oh-so-proudly does CrossFit!

His jaw gets the biggest workout, chawing on twigs or w/e.

Edited by Shelby
  • Love 4