Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

I believe this episode was originally supposed to be 13x13, and now it is 13x10. Maybe this has something to do with all the pregnancies/maternity leaves, but it seems odd to move it. 13x08 was a stand alone episode (with Mer, Hunt, Steph, and Webber operating) and it was followed by 13x09 which was a pretty weak mid-season finale. So to come back from break with what sounds like another stand alone episode is strange. None of the stories are moving. And since it seems they have already filmed episodes 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, and 19 won't this mess with continuity? I guess not if it is a stand alone, but maybe? I saw on the synopsis that there is a guest star listed as a judge. I am hoping that is for Alex and this is not a stand alone, but the doctors going to treat the girl in jail is just a main story in the episode. Probably not with how this season is going, but I can hope.

3 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

This episode does seem interesting, and I am all for an out of the ordinary character combination.  I just hope that it isn't the only thing going on this episode. Continuity and consistency are the absolute biggest problems of the show in the last couple of seasons, so I am really not interested in any kind of time jump or further dragging out of Alex's jail stuff, the Chief vs. Whatshername or any of the other cliffhangers/stagnant storylines.  It seems like this is the case that Jo was referring to at the end of the fall finale, so I hope that they pick up where they left off and we get some actual answers in this episode.  I thought that coming back to an out of nowhere Meredith episode after last season's cliffhanger-y finale was complete bullshit and really ruined a lot of the storylines going forward.  I really don't want that to happen again.

To be fair, didn't that only happen because of Denzel? I just remember that being why they hyped it up so damn much all hiatus.

Denzel might be the reason that it was filmed when it was, but it would seem to me that they could air it anytime, even if they had to change/cut a few scenes or pieces of dialogue.  Granted, I know nothing about how these things work, but it's obvious that the season as a whole was not completely planned out from the beginning.

Also, wouldn't AZ, Bailey and, especially Jo be part of the trial?  Maybe it's the night between that day and the following, which would be the trial.  I don't have much hope for coherence.

9 minutes ago, CED9 said:

I was wondering why Arizona would be part of the trial as she was MIA when things went down, but, oh yeah, she lives with DeLuca.

Actually, it makes sense that she's not part of the trial.  The only role she could play is a character witness--to either Alex or Deluca.  Because of the fact that she so close to both of them, she isn't a great witness for either the defense or the state.  Plus, they can pull any number of other character witnesses, most of whom would be better for the respective sides.

ETA: Deluca shouldn't even need a character witness...he's not on trial.  This isn't a case where it is Alex v. Deluca (like Callie v. Arizona was last season).  It's Alex v. the State and while Alex would need character witnesses, Deluca most likely would not.  

Edited by OtterMommy

I don't think they really changed any filming order; with a cast this large, it makes sense to work around some schedules. Sometimes some actors are filming two episodes at once, or an episode ahead of others. With pregnancies in the past they've had actresses film scenes for multiple episodes at once to accommodate a maternity leave. That is likely the case here. If it's another bubble episode, it'd be weird timing since we just had one with 13x08 but at least it's an interesting combo of characters, and I assume the Alex situation will at least be discussed when you have Arizona / Jo / Bailey together. 

18 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I  actually find that article to be pretty spot on, and I'm glad that some outlets are noticing and calling it out.  In fact, I agree with this article much more than the ones that praise the supposed Grey's renaissance or the hysterical ZOMG!Merlex!! clickbait.  I do think that it is notable and praise-worthy that Grey's is doing so well in its 13th year, AND that they were able to successfully re-boot the show after two huge departures.  But I still maintain that the writing (including the characterization), the consistency, the pacing and the continuity have been going downhill since season 11.  The stories that they choose tell and the way that they choose to tell them have bewildered me for awhile. It lessens the enjoyment for me at best and is borderline offensive in some cases (Jo's domestic violence storyline, for example) at worst.  Not that I think that anyone associated with Shondaland cares about what critics or even fans think, as long as the ratings are good, but it is nice to know that I'm/we're not the only ones who are having trouble with some of it.  Of course, I'm still watching so...

As far as TVLine vs. Shonda, I recall things being strained with Ausiello when TR and KH left.  I think that was when he was at EW and got the interviews and it seemed that he possibly took their sides or was at least sympathetic.  I can't imagine that went over well with Shonda.

• Love 5

I definitely don't disagree with the article - the Meredith / Riggs potential feels botched to me because of how they handled (and then suddenly dropped) all of it. If anything, I hope they resolve it as soon as the season picks up. The audience is ready for Mer to move on from Derek. Let's just see her really go for it with Riggs or move them apart and find someone else for her. The Maggie angle never made any sense, and they went to extremes to make it feel like a real story when it was little more than poorly manufactured drama. Ellen and Martin both deserve better to work with. That said, Grey's has basically done this forever and the Meredith storyline is hardly the only one that feels juvenile. 

What frustrates me most is how sometime the show is still so great; certain storylines or characters can feel like they're really thriving, and then the rest of the show feels like it's just thrown together. S13 has been enjoyable for me aside from a few glaring issues (the Meredith / Maggie / Riggs storyline being one of the biggest weak spots). 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2
On 1/2/2017 at 2:47 PM, BaseOps said:

I agree with the issues the article brings up.  Altho i do wonder why editorialize about it now?  The triangle hasn't really had an on screen presence since ep 4.  There are other sites that do include editorializing and non-objective opinions in their recaps that have brought up issues with the triangle (usually negatively), but Tvline really doesn't do that.  Their recapper tends to re-tell rather than opine.

Honestly, as much as I hate the triangle -- and I really do -- it isn't the the thing I'd write about if I were writing a critical editorial about the show.  To me it is a clumsy, misguided way to create romantic tension for Mer/Riggs while introducing a angst for Mer/Maggie.  It is basically Grey's embracing their soap opera roots and in the end it is a plot string that can be resolved in a snap.  No, if I were going to take the time to criticize a direction of the show that had the potential to be more problematic long term it would be the Jo's past storyline.  There is so much wrong with it from its conception to its execution (not to mention the crater wide plot holes involved with her identity issues) that a really good article could have wrestled with a lot of the issues we've all brought up on these boards.

• Love 5

I don´t know which episode this might be but both Pompeo and Henderson posted similar scenes some time ago so it seems both actors filmed some scenes set at the airport or on board the plane, hard to say whether it is related to the "current" Meredith/Riggs storyline or some flashbacks for both characters as Martin usually has a beard as Nathan and here it seems he was clean-shaven.

I personally think the article in TVLine is spot on, for me the whole Meredith /Nathan debacle has lost its spark forever or whatever it was the writers wanted to develop with these two characters.

I hope these weren´t posted before, if yes, then I am sorry for double post.

I just find it interesting, it seems both actors worked together after quite a long time and it seems none of the other actors were there.

Regardless of whether or not Meredith and Riggs might become a couple in the second half of the season, I think the finale will have Megan back in real life not just Owen´s hallucination.
Edited by Nobodysfan
35 minutes ago, Nobodysfan said:
Regardless of whether or not Meredith and Riggs might become a couple in the second half of the season, I think the finale will have Megan back in real life not just Owen´s hallucination.

I would love for Megan to be like the character Nathan Ingram in Person of Interest.  Already dead, but appearing in flashbacks from time to time.

Ugh, so Nathan will be with Meredith during the big plane medical emergency fiasco, and memories of the plane crash will come up for Meredith, and then that will bring them closer together. Blah, trite, next. 

14 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

I would love for Megan to be like the character Nathan Ingram in Person of Interest.  Already dead, but appearing in flashbacks from time to time.

Yes, this might be possible. The actress I believe, is involved in another show as a regular so hard to believe she would just leave the show for Greys.

10 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Ugh, so Nathan will be with Meredith during the big plane medical emergency fiasco, and memories of the plane crash will come up for Meredith, and then that will bring them closer together. Blah, trite, next. 

Yes, it seems memories will arise for both of them.

So maybe 13x10 really is a bubble episode with mostly just Bailey / Arizona / Jo? 'Meredith searches for Alex' sounds quite dire and a bit funny. It's probably something ridiculous like he gets off and then she can't get a hold of him for a day so she's freaking out. 

This all sounds like it happens in the night before the trial though since wasn't Jo heading off to meet Bailey/Arizona at the end of the last episode?

Theyre really pushing the Mer/Alex angle. I honestly think it's the main reason they've dropped Mer/Martin Henderson and had limited Jolex scenes. 

Looks like we'll finally meet Papa Avery. From EW: 

Grey’s Anatomy will introduce the father of Jesse Williams’ character in an upcoming episode, EW has learned.

While viewers have met both his mother, Catherine Avery (Debbie Allen), and his grandfather, Harper Avery (Chelcie Ross), Jackson’s father has been missing in action since the former Mercy West doctor joined the show in season 6.

“We are going to meet Jackson’s father,” Sarah Drew tells EW. Details on who is playing him or when he’ll appear are being kept under wraps.

In other news, Grey‘s has booked another April and Jackson-centric episode, which finds the divorced duo heading to Montana — and maybe down the road to reconciliation? “There’s going to be a Jackson and April episode, just the two of them,” Drew says. “We’re dealing with a case and it’s just the two of us in Montana for the whole episode.”

While Drew is coy to reveal whether a kiss will take place during the hour, “I can tease that there’s a real turning point that happens for the two of them,” she says. “They’re forced to be in the same space working together with no distraction outside of the norm, outside of anybody that they know, outside of any of the history. They’re going through something pretty big. They don’t start off in the best place when we find them on the journey.”

The Kevin McKidd-directed hour featuring their trip to Montana is slated to air in March and has already been shot. “It’s really lovely,” Drew says. “We’re really proud of the episode. It’s very tonally different than a lot of the episodes. There’s a lot of quiet, silent spaces where we’re just watching people process things. It’s intimate and very adult.”

Edited by BaseOps

So, it seems we have a Mer / Riggs episode (on the airplane), a Bailey / Jo / Arizona episode (the prison) and now the April / Jackson episode (trip to Montana). I'm guessing all of these are to help accommodate the schedules of pregnant cast members. 

Also... will we ever get a Jo / Alex episode?

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Coxfires said:

Do the writers even remember they were an item?

They got some nice moments in the fall finale. I'm hoping we finally get some movement when we come back - whether it's to finally develop them together or to just give it up and pull them apart. Based on the elevator scene from 13x09, it seems the writers still want to pursue them as a couple. If that's the case, I hope they really delve deep into both both characters individually and as a unit. With Camilla's pregnancy it's more-than-likely that we'll see a small spike in material for her (13x10 seems to be a bubble episode involving Arizona, Bailey, and Jo) and then be written very light for a while. I believe they're doing so many of these bubble episodes to accommodate maternity leaves / pregnancies (Camila is pregnant, Caterina just gave birth, Jessica was off at the start of the year, and Ellen also just welcomed a new son VIA surrogacy). 

Edited by BaseOps

I thought the elevator scene served more so as closure for Jo anyway. I think if the writers were still pursuing them they'd have given them more material together and Jo would have gotten some point of view. I do agree that all the pregnancies and maternity leave probably had affected how they wanted to tell all of the storylines but still if the writers wanted us to root for Jolex they'd be giving us scenes similar to Japril. Instead we're getting Merlex every episode. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I thought the elevator scene served more so as closure for Jo anyway. I think if the writers were still pursuing them they'd have given them more material together and Jo would have gotten some point of view. I do agree that all the pregnancies and maternity leave probably had affected how they wanted to tell all of the storylines but still if the writers wanted us to root for Jolex they'd be giving us scenes similar to Japril. Instead we're getting Merlex every episode. 

I definitely expected a lot more Alex / Jo in the first half of the season (Alex had a ton of focus, just not much with Jo), which is why I have no clue if they'll finally develop them or just break them off. It seems to me that if the writers wanted them broken up they would have done that long ago. I think the people who are seeing Meredith / Alex as romantic are forgetting that this is just how Shonda and the writers treat friendships on the show. When Meredith / Cristina were best friends, their friendship almost always took precedence over their romantic relationships. Shonda has never made a secret out of the fact that she writes friendships with a bit of a (potentially unhealthy) romanticism. I think they've been trying hard to find focus for the original 4 (Meredith, Alex, Bailey, Richard) and that has resulted in a lot of focus on Alex with Meredith supporting his storyline. I'm a bit excited to see how all of this unravels. 

So 13x10 is indeed a bubble episode with only Jo, Bailey, and Arizona appearing. Meredith narrates. It takes place right after 13x09 (the same night), so it is the night before / the morning of the trial. The ending directly addresses the events of the winter finale. Camila is great, she's the real standout here, but all 3 actress have some really strong scenes. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BaseOps said:

So 13x10 is indeed a bubble episode with only Jo, Bailey, and Arizona appearing. Meredith narrates. It takes place right after 13x09 (the same night), so it is the night before / the morning of the trial. The ending directly addresses the events of the winter finale. Camila is great, she's the real standout here, but all 3 actress have some really strong scenes. 

I really like the sound of this, but as a lot of people here have said in the past, the producers really need to learn how to space these special episodes out a bit. I'm all for character studies and a more narrow focus from time to time, but maybe not just as the show returns from hiatus. (But I'm still super excited).

Question: Any scoop on what will happen between Alex and Jo in the second half of Grey’s Anatomy‘s season? —Camila

Ausiello: I asked Camilla Luddington if we’ll meet Jo’s MIA hubby anytime soon and here’s what she told me: “I think it’ll happen when things are going well between them — because that’s how Grey’s Anatomy works. They’re in such a desperate situation right now, so I don’t think it’ll happen immediately. But maybe by the end of the season.” Bonus Scoop: Next Thursday’s prison-based episodewas actually shot on the set of Scandal. “They built a prison for us on the Scandal set,” Luddington reveals of the standalone hour, which finds Jo, Bailey and Arizona going directly to jail to help a young inmate give birth. “We got a little change of scenery.”

http://tvline.com/2017/01/20/greys-anatomy-season-14-jos-husband-spoilers/

There's a Japril spoiler in the link too I just don't care enough about them to copy and paste it over.

Will we find out Alex’s fate in the winter premiere of Grey’s Anatomy? — Andrew

The entire premiere takes place in prison — but that doesn’t necessarily spell bad news for Alex. The episode follows Arizona, Jo, and Bailey as they head to a women’s prison (more info here), but you will get to see Jo’s take on Alex’s plans, which certainly made me question their future. Ahem.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/20/spoiler-room-timeless-blacklist-redemption-once-upon-time/

I assume from the above Jo doesn't have a supportive stance on Alex's decision. Yay this oughta improve the Jo hate **sigh**.

6 hours ago, Chas411 said:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/20/spoiler-room-timeless-blacklist-redemption-once-upon-time/

I assume from the above Jo doesn't have a supportive stance on Alex's decision. Yay this oughta improve the Jo hate **sigh**.

That column is just being dramatic (surprise, surprise). If anything, Jo's reaction to hearing that Alex went to the DA to take a plea bargain makes it clear that she loves him and is distraught over the whole situation. 

On 19/01/2017 at 3:24 PM, BaseOps said:

Oh no. Do I feel myself about to be sucked in again in hope for the nth time? God dammit I think I do. Thanks a lot, basops! haha, just kidding. But seriously, dammit show. I was just about ready to toss it to the side, and what you said about Jo was probably the only thing that would pull me back in again. If that's the case, and she gets some strong scenes and some focus that deepens her character, that is all I've been wanting all season. Hopefully there's some movement towards her getting a mentor soon as well, I would be happy with either 2 of these characters! Along with some jolex progression but we can't have everything.

I was not expecting it to be a stand alone, which is great as I think those three could be amazing together, but god they really do pick the timing don't they? and I hate those tv columns, it's barely ever accurate, but the spoilers are usually so far in advance before the episode that by the time it airs people have forgotten how over the top and ridiculous they usually are, so then never call them out on it.

13x12 Press Release

“None of Your Business” – Maggie gets a surprise visit from her mother at the hospital. Bailey has to make a difficult decision when one of the attendings refuses to work with Eliza, and Stephanie gets caught up in Owen and Amelia’s personal drama, on “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 9 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EST), on the ABC Television Network.

Guest starring is Debbie Allen as Catherine Avery, Marika Dominczyk as Eliza Minnick, Tessa Ferrer as Leah Murphy and LaTanya Richardson Jackson as Diane Pierce.

"Stephanie gets caught up in Owen and Amelia’s personal drama" - can they not find any other use for Stephanie? And yay, more Owen/Amelia drama...

13x13 Press Release

THE RESIDENTS GET CAUGHT BETWEEN WARRING ATTENDINGS,  ON ABC’S ‘GREY’S ANATOMY’ 

“It Only Gets Much Worse” – The residents are excited for Eliza’s next phase of teaching, but they spend the day caught between the warring attendings. Meanwhile, April has a challenging first day in her new role at the hospital, on “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EST), on the ABC Television Network.

Guest starring is Debbie Allen as Catherine Avery, Marika Dominczyk as Eliza Minnick and Tessa Ferrer as Leah Murphy.

2 hours ago, Kate213 said:

13x13 Press Release

THE RESIDENTS GET CAUGHT BETWEEN WARRING ATTENDINGS,  ON ABC’S ‘GREY’S ANATOMY’ 

“It Only Gets Much Worse” – The residents are excited for Eliza’s next phase of teaching, but they spend the day caught between the warring attendings. Meanwhile, April has a challenging first day in her new role at the hospital, on “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EST), on the ABC Television Network.

Guest starring is Debbie Allen as Catherine Avery, Marika Dominczyk as Eliza Minnick and Tessa Ferrer as Leah Murphy.

What is April's new role?  Did I miss something?

4 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Not surprising...they never really did much with her character.

I wonder if the actress finally chose to leave or if it was made for her. 

I assume well have about 3 random new characters replacing her now since Greys prefer a larger cast.

9 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I wonder if the actress finally chose to leave or if it was made for her. 

I assume well have about 3 random new characters replacing her now since Greys prefer a larger cast.

this was pretty much the world's worst kept secret since she's already been cast in another show.  I'm guessing it was her decision, maybe even with a push from Shonda since she is so under utilized in the show.  Considering she was cast in a Shondaland pilot that didn't end up making it, I'd bet she was encouraged to take any offers that came her way.  

And of course, you are 100% right, we will absolutely have a bunch new regulars that no one gives a crap about, when they can't even be bothered to flesh out the existing characaters.  yay

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Greysaddict said:

And of course, you are 100% right, we will absolutely have a bunch new regulars that no one gives a crap about, when they can't even be bothered to flesh out the existing characaters.  yay

I'm afraid I might already know the answer, but will Minnick be one of her replacement characters?