Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

I always felt the Jackson/Alex friendship was forced so I am happy they have dropped that. I felt the same way about Owen/Derek.

I agree. But I think if the writers put the work in, a Jackson / Alex friendship could make sense. They don't know how to write scenes between males, and in 11 years they've never really developed a male friendship well outside of a doctor / mentor role (Burke & George, Mark & Jackson, etc.) These guys work together, most of them have for years, and they all interact with many of the same people... but Alex is for some reason always stuck in a group of women. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

I agree. But I think if the writers put the work in, a Jackson / Alex friendship could make sense. They don't know how to write scenes between males, and in 11 years they've never really developed a male friendship well outside of a doctor / mentor role (Burke & George, Mark & Jackson, etc.) These guys work together, most of them have for years, and they all interact with many of the same people... but Alex is for some reason always stuck in a group of women.

I always felt Mark had the best scenes with other males. I think it makes somewhat sense for Alex since he always seemed  a bit of a loner.

I think that the Jackson/Alex friendship could work on a lighter level, if they aren't baring their souls to one another or anything.  Just drinking beer at Joe's or eating lunch.  They did supposedly live together for a time (most of it offscreen) and I find their interactions less forced than Alex sitting with 3 women who are constantly gabbing about sex and hygiene. Alex has always seemed to get along more with women than men (especially when they are in an authority position) but this past season of him with Callie, Maggie and Meredith just didn't work at all for me.  Yet his friendships with Cristina, Meredith and Izzie seemed perfectly natural.  I guess because they actually had stuff in common and talked like semi-adults.  

One of my favorite scenes from the last season was when Owen, Richard, Alex, Ben (?) and Jackson were arguing over a patient.  We just never get male scenes on the show anymore, and each guy was acting completely in character and they weren't interchangeable the way the women in these scenes tend to be.  And while I appreciate that Shonda is giving women on tv a chance to do what men on tv do all the time, IMO, she doesn't do it very well and it comes off as an Important Feminist Message rather than just a character driven moment.  Cristina, Addison, Hahn, and sometimes Bailey, for just a few examples, have earned the "superhero" arrogant scenes.  Maggie, Amelia and Stephanie haven't yet, at least for me.

• Love 2

I always felt the Jackson/Alex friendship was forced so I am happy they have dropped that. I felt the same way about Owen/Derek.

True indeed, the only scene between Derek and Owen which I liked was in 519 when they were sitting on the bench and Derek made him start some treatment and therapy after choking Cristina.

It would be nice but I'm really not that fussed. I can watch bromances on just about every other show on TV. There are very few shows dominated by women.

I meant at least one nice sincere honest friendship on the show between men is enough for me. Currently there is  zero.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan

I'd love to see the show have more friendships overall this season. The men definitely need some friendships but I don't think its just them. Other than Alex & the Gals everyone seems to have 1 friend, if that.  I'd love to see all different combinations of people working together - getting them interacting to have some friendships begin.  

Spoilers, where are you? Come on tv media, get those set visits going please!

• Love 2

EW Spoiler Room:

Shonda promised it’s finally time for Jolex’s story in season 12 of Grey’s Anatomy. Any hint about what can be their storyline? Thanks! — Ana
Believe it or not, executive producer Shonda Rimes planned to tell a big storyline with them last season, but it had to be sidelined so the show could facilitate Patrick Dempsey’s exit. Therefore, the duo will be stepping more into the spotlight this year. “They’re really cute,” Rhimes says. “I’m enjoying them. We’re watching Alex be more of a man. I also think we’ve been talking about this idea of him being more of a man in everybody’s life in a weird way. He feels a responsibility for Meredith in a brotherly way, and he’s got Jo. There’s a lot of romance going on there. They’re going to be struggling through the problems of any relationship.”

We've pretty much already heard this so hoping its the beginning of the spoilers starting to come out. I'm happy it looks like they're finally getting some story. I'm hoping each gets individual storylines as well.

Edited by windsprints

That is the longest paragraph which says basically nothing LOL!   Except that Alex will now be a main in everyone's life.  Ugh.  I swear he goes from seasons where almost no one interacts with him or wants anything to do with him, and now he is everyone's life.  I guess the latter is better than the former, but its going to depend on how it goes down.

That is the longest paragraph which says basically nothing LOL! Except that Alex will now be a main in everyone's life. Ugh. I swear he goes from seasons where almost no one interacts with him or wants anything to do with him, and now he is everyone's life. I guess the latter is better than the former, but its going to depend on how it goes down.

I agree. Assuming JC stays after this season, I suppose it's good that Alex isn't so isolated. However, if he continues to be there for his harem, but they are never there for him, he might as well be as isolated as he was in past seasons.

Press Release for 12x01

"Sledgehammer” – Seattle Grace Hospital springs into action to save the lives of two young girls whose powerful story will force some of the doctors to revisit the effects of bullying on their own pasts. Meanwhile, Meredith must adjust to changes at home with her new roommates while Bailey continues to fight for the Chief of Surgery position and Jackson prepares for April’s return to Seattle, on the Season 12 premiere of “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (8:00--9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

“Sledgehammer” was written by Stacy McKee and directed by Kevin McKidd.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/09/greys-anatomy-episode-1201-sledgehammer.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

So, one of the girls must be Jessica played by Mandalynn Carlson with parents Bethany and Steven played by Jenny Cooper and Eric Lange. No other actors listed for the episode on imdb. I wonder who the other girl is.

I wonder who of ther doctors will remember their own experience of being bullied. I think this topic is a very essential one to be discussed. Good they address it on the show, many people pretend it does not exist.  

Most likely the trio who treats them - Callie, Alex, Maggie will be somewhat affected.

I don´t like Stacy McKee´s episodes very much, but I appreciate she writes about bullying. Although D.Allen, J.George even McKidd have talked about the premiere being fun,sexy,lighter episode, the central theme sounds to be  bullying in the episode description. That kind of sounds odd to me to call it a lighter or funny episode. 

Meredith must adjust to changes at home with her new roommates

This looks very very college time to me. So dull to watch three adult women with some established career (I will remain silent about Amelia´s career) plus one of whom is the mother of 3 kids playing roommates!!! Irrational.  

• Love 1

I wonder who of ther doctors will remember their own experience of being bullied. I think this topic is a very essential one to be discussed. Good they address it on the show, many people pretend it does not exist.  

Most likely the trio who treats them - Callie, Alex, Maggie will be somewhat affected.

Shonda mentioned that we'll get to know some of Stephanie's backstory this season, so maybe that comes in the form of her talking about her being bullied. 

Also, as Windsprints posted in the Media thread, we now know who Bailey is up against for Chief... and she's only slated for one episode. Looks like Bailey will indeed be the new Chief of Surgery. 

Edited by BaseOps

Shonda mentioned that we'll get to know some of Stephanie's backstory this season, so maybe that comes in the form of her talking about her being bullied.

Also, as Windsprints posted in the Media thread, we now know who Bailey is up against for Chief... and she's only slated for one episode. Looks like Bailey will indeed be the new Chief of Surgery.

Ugh. I have Bailey issues, so it's not a story I was interested in seeing dragged out, but at the same time, I found her so annoying in the finale that I would have liked to have seen her have to seriously fight for it and take a few knocks in the process. Maybe it's because one of the deleted scenes reminded me of how much I hated her attitude about Alex and the board seat.
  • Love 1

I can't imagine Alex or Callie ever being bullied. I could imagine Alwx more so to be the bully but I guess you never know what someone's past holds. I just hope it's not yet another excuse to learn more about Maggies background while Alex comforts and props her.

It should be someone who doesn't get much decent storyline time like Srephanie or Jo.

I can't imagine Alex or Callie ever being bullied. I could imagine Alwx more so to be the bully but I guess you never know what someone's past holds. I just hope it's not yet another excuse to learn more about Maggies background while Alex comforts and props her.

It should be someone who doesn't get much decent storyline time like Srephanie or Jo.

We sort of saw Callie get bullied by Izzie early on. She was always outwardly rude to her, so much so that is broke Callie down a few times. I believe she gave some sort of speech to George about the way she was treated, and it seems possible that she's certainly felt that way before. I think SR is hot as hell, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that as girl with curves, Callie may have been picked on and left out as a kid. 

It won't happen but to me the person who would be perfect for this is April. It's not hard to believe she's had issues with bullying her whole life and she's been constantly "bullied" by the other characters for things as trivial as her voice.

• Love 2

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/09/greys-anatomy-episode-1201-sledgehammer_11.html

It seems the doctor dealing most with the girl and her parents is Maggie,so she might be the one who was bullied in the past as one of the doctors.

I don´t see Amelia in the promo pics - I am happy, happy,happy. Hopefully she will be in the distant background at least for the premiere.

• Love 1

A set visitor posted two photos on twitter. She said they were filming one big group scene today with lots of drama and also comedy. Sara and Kevin were also on set just not pictured. Arizona was drunk in the scene and April is wearing an apron.

They are filming 12x05, the 250th episode at the moment. Seems like there is a dinner party at Mer's.  

• Love 1

I like episodes outside of the hospital so I am looking forward to this one.  As far as the bullying goes, it seems like the doctors working on the case will be Maggie, Mer, Callie and Alex.  Of those, Alex would most like be the one who bulled people (although I could see him sticking up for someone being bullied as well) and Callie and Maggie maybe getting bullied.  I don't know about Meredith, lately she has seemed a little mean girl-ish, but she never really joined in when Alex and Cristina teased April about her virginity, for example.   It would be nice if the bullying conversation expanded beyond those four.  I'd like to hear about it from Arizona, Jo, Jackson and even Stephanie. 

• Love 1

I don't know, I could see Alex being bullied. Often bullies and the bullied are the same people at different stages in their life. Look at his family history, he was in foster care, there would be plenty that kids would pick on.

Edited by jaytee1812
  • Love 2

Yeah, I could see him on both sides.  He was definitely bullied/abused by his dad and I can see him turning that around on others.   He was definitely a dick to George and I can see him being that way to other people who he disliked or was jealous of, but I could also see him sticking up for weaker kids.  I would love it if this spurred a conversation between him and Jo, who I could also see being bullied, and/or sticking up for other kids.  But, the show seems to prefer dropping clues about the stuff that they actually have in common rather than exploring them.

A set visitor posted two photos on twitter. She said they were filming one big group scene today with lots of drama and also comedy. Sara and Kevin were also on set just not pictured. Arizona was drunk in the scene and April is wearing an apron.

They are filming 12x05, the 250th episode at the moment. Seems like there is a dinner party at Mer's.  

Thanks for the info, interesting though. It does seem like a dinner party or something like that although who of the attendings are on call in hospital if so MANY of them can go to a dinner party??!!! Webber and Maggie only? Only 2 doctors for such a big hospital, they have never had any touch with reality these writers. Or who is on call??? Nameless doctors in every department??? Who is in charge of  trauma or peds if two docs from each  department can be at dinner party???Or ortho? Or neuro - but it is "superhero" Amelia, she can operate via distance so that is taken care of. Or does Mama Avery step in in each department? (D. Allen directs and doesn´t seem to be in the scene)

Like in 812 - was it Zola´s birthday party or something like that ??? and all doctors if I remember correctly were there. Ridiculous. Or the same with that Christmas dinner in S6.  I will never understand this nonsensical crap.

I guess they will have Arizona drunk like Cristina in 1014 and then she slept with Owen who got drunk,too so maybe Callie and Arizona will do the same. Writers copy storylines all the time. They also had Calzona date other people just like they did with Crowen. Nothing new here. Same old story. And on top of that Rhimes saying she believes in Calzona or something like that, the same crap she served to Crowen fans for years. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the info, interesting though. It does seem like a dinner party or something like that although who of the attendings are on call in hospital if so MANY of them can go to a dinner party??!!! Webber and Maggie only? Only 2 doctors for such a big hospital, they have never had any touch with reality these writers. Or who is on call??? Nameless doctors in every department??? Who is in charge of  trauma or peds if two docs from each  department can be at dinner party???Or ortho? Or neuro - but it is "superhero" Amelia, she can operate via distance so that is taken care of. Or does Mama Avery step in in each department? (D. Allen directs and doesn´t seem to be in the scene)

Like in 812 - was it Zola´s birthday party or something like that ??? and all doctors if I remember correctly were there. Ridiculous. Or the same with that Christmas dinner in S6.  I will never understand this nonsensical crap.

I guess they will have Arizona drunk like Cristina in 1014 and then she slept with Owen who got drunk,too so maybe Callie and Arizona will do the same. Writers copy storylines all the time. They also had Calzona date other people just like they did with Crowen. Nothing new here. Same old story. And on top of that Rhimes saying she believes in Calzona or something like that, the same crap she served to Crowen fans for years. 

Kind of early to be complaining about stuff that hasn't happened yet, isn't it? It has never been suggested that these doctors are the only attendings in the hospital (Like you said, it's a big hospital, we're just getting a small glimpse.) Of all the things this show gets away with, I'd say having our characters together outside of the hospital now & then isn't too much of a stretch.. not compared to the shootings, bombs, car crashes, etc. And having couples date other people is normal when they're broken up, it's not exactly a "copied" storyline. Neither is drunken sex... that also happened with George and Izzie. It happens to people in real life all the time, too. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

Thanks for posting the photo Marni. I like when they have scenes outside the hospital that include a large group. We don't get them often so I'm always happy to get them.

It has never been suggested that these doctors are the only attendings in the hospital (Like you said, it's a big hospital, we're just getting a small glimpse.) Of all the things this show gets away with, I'd say having our characters together outside of the hospital now & then isn't too much of a stretch

I'm with you. 

A visitor on the set of Greys as they are shooting 1205 (who posted those photos) pretty much confirmed that Callie´s new love interest is at the dinner party and it is that doctor who was with Derek,played by Samantha Sloyan. But she mentioned her name was Penny, but Greyswiki site lists her name as Edie for 1121. I guess writers changed her name.

I am soooooooooo disappointed, I didn´t want her to play a lesbian, but Rhimes always crushes my hopes :(

Whatever I wish or hope for this show, nothing goes for me.  

A visitor on the set of Greys as they are shooting 1205 pretty much confirmed that Callie´s new love interest is at the dinner party and it is that doctor who was with Derek,played by Samantha Sloyan. I am disappointed, I didn´t want her to play a lesbian, but Rhimes always crushes my hopes :(

What's wrong with her being a lesbian?

• Love 1

What's wrong with her being a lesbian?

Nothing,she can be whoever she wants to be as far as I am concerned.

I wanted her to be a love interest for a male, but there isn´t a single male on the show,so,and I also wanted Callie to be with a man as they claim she is a bisexual.

We all have different wishes and hopes.

After seeing some of the backstage photos and spoilers from the 250th I am even more interested to see it.  It appears to be a "bottle episode," one that is filmed entirely on one location, in this case Meredith's house.  It seems like it is going to be an episode-long dinner party and will follow all of the characters through the night.  Apparently, Callie brings a date and that causes drama, etc.  I don't think that they have ever done anything like this and it is different without being a stunt, so I am really looking forward to it.  I just wonder what the occasion for the dinner party is, or if there is one.  Every seems kind of dressed up.

• Love 3

That sounds fun, Deanie87! I think it would be a pretty good idea for an episode; let's us see all the regulars interacting without patients to worry about, and it could have a bit of a fun factor that Rhimes has been talking about. It would also be a nice break from the norm without being a full blown "gimmick"* episode. Hopefully we'll get some drunk April and Arizona together, be cool to see more of their friendship.

*Which I have always enjoyed, musical aside, so I hope they have one of those for the end of the season too.

• Love 1

That sounds fun, Deanie87! I think it would be a pretty good idea for an episode; let's us see all the regulars interacting without patients to worry about, and it could have a bit of a fun factor that Rhimes has been talking about. It would also be a nice break from the norm without being a full blown "gimmick"* episode. Hopefully we'll get some drunk April and Arizona together, be cool to see more of their friendship.

*Which I have always enjoyed, musical aside, so I hope they have one of those for the end of the season too.

According to someone who was on set and tweeted about it, Arizona does seem to be drunk and April is wearing an apron for some reason.  This person only saw one or two scenes being filmed but that sounds promising!  JCap mentioned that they had been filming in the same location for the last week so I really hope that the episode is what it appears to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if they cut back to the hospital occasionally and have the interns doing work, like they did while the doctors were at the fundraiser in the 200th episode. But I would sort of like the idea of a full episode with the core cast in one spot. Could be interesting. 

Side note - I wonder how much they're going to show Richard / Catharine this season. As far we know she still lives and works in Boston, right? So are they long-distance? 

I wouldn't be surprised if they cut back to the hospital occasionally and have the interns doing work, like they did while the doctors were at the fundraiser in the 200th episode. But I would sort of like the idea of a full episode with the core cast in one spot. Could be interesting. 

Side note - I wonder how much they're going to show Richard / Catharine this season. As far we know she still lives and works in Boston, right? So are they long-distance? 

Ugh, I guess thats inevitable, but it would be great to not cut to the hospital at all.  I don't mind the interns in theory but I really don't want to see them running around and not interacting with any of the regulars.  

It seems like Debbie Allen is going to be on set a lot in some capacity, so I would guess that she will show up routinely.  I don't mind that too much as I like Richard and want him to get a storyline too, and she also has a purpose beyond that as Jackson's mother and as head of the Avery Foundation (at least I think she is).  It will be interesting to see how she handles Bailey.

Just the main characters in one place interacting sounds awesome. I could see Callie talking about her new girlfriend with the others and the audience, but not Mer, seeing her in the first 4 episodes. Then Callie unknowingly bringing her over causing a tension filled dinner with Mer and Amelia freaking out.

JCap said they were filming at the same location for 7 days so hopefully most of it is them at Mer's with a minor hospital storyline. The set visitor said Kelly McCreary was not on set at Mer's that day and also James Pickens Jr. and Jason George were not in the photos she posted so maybe Maggie, Richard and Ben are at the hospital working with the interns.

Regarding Catherine's role Debbie Allen has done some interviews recently.

How much will you be featured in this season?

Catherine Avery is still a guest star. She’s not a series regular, but I’m there so when they need me now — last year, they had to go and try to find me — they can take advantage of me, and it’s okay! I’m not mad about it.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/features/debbie-allen-greys-director-anatomy-executive-producer-season-12-1201585698/

“We’ll just say that we are giving new life to sexy over 50,” Debbie Allen, who plays the newly married Dr. Catherine Avery, tells Variety of her ignited relationship with Dr. Richard Webber (James Pickens Jr). “We have a very hot relationship. Richard has got her busy.”

Allen says, “When we left, my son, he was going through a little drama with his wife, and you know Catherine has a lot to say about that.”

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/greys-anatomy-season-12-spoilers-relationships-meredith-1201582424/

So I think Catherine will drop by when she's relevant to the story- Chief stuff, Richard and Jackson's marital problems.

• Love 2

Just the main characters in one place interacting sounds awesome. I could see Callie talking about her new girlfriend with the others and the audience, but not Mer, seeing her in the first 4 episodes. Then Callie unknowingly bringing her over causing a tension filled dinner with Mer and Amelia freaking out.

JCap said they were filming at the same location for 7 days so hopefully most of it is them at Mer's with a minor hospital storyline. The set visitor said Kelly McCreary was not on set at Mer's that day and also James Pickens Jr. and Jason George were not in the photos she posted so maybe Maggie, Richard and Ben are at the hospital working with the interns.

Regarding Catherine's role Debbie Allen has done some interviews recently.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/features/debbie-allen-greys-director-anatomy-executive-producer-season-12-1201585698/

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/greys-anatomy-season-12-spoilers-relationships-meredith-1201582424/

So I think Catherine will drop by when she's relevant to the story- Chief stuff, Richard and Jackson's marital problems.

Just  read these, well, things are getting interesting in Shondaland,so how long till Allen is another series regular - 1 or 2 months???She picks directors already and is involved in every episode??!! And spends a lot of time with writers as well and she loves it.  So behind the scenes she will dictate her storyline when reading between lines. Well,well....

She is so full of her own glory in those interviews. Not an inch of modesty.

I also do not understand where Catherine gets the right to meddle into her son´s marriage.

I equally dislike Owen/Amelia as much as Richard with Catherine.

It seems like Debbie Allen is going to be on set a lot in some capacity, so I would guess that she will show up routinely. 

True indeed. I know for me scenes with Mama Avery will be either muted or fastforwarded. 

Sneak Peek 1: Richard, Bailey & Chief Candidate

Sneak Peek 2: Many with patients

https://twitter.com/GreysABC/status/646353480890781696

I liked the second sneak. I like when the patient stories have some emotion.

Bringing the sneak peek talk into here...

I reallty like the second sneak!  Makes me excited for Thursday!  I never thought i'd be rooting for Bailey as Chief, but if it means i never have to hear Joey Lauren Adams again I will be ecstatic.  

Any thoughts as to what's going on with the two girls?  I am thinking the two girls are secretly dating and their parent don't know.  But that's why they have matching tattoos but are pretending not to know each other.  I could be way off base though.  

What leads you to believe it would be one of them?  She basically gave zero information and it could be anyone.  It could be the guy she dated once last year.

Will Maggie find a love interest, perhaps?

Yes. Maggie will be cracking open that part of her life this season. Honestly, it’s so much fun and the way that it has unfolded so far is very, very hot. I think the fans will love it.

So, is this a character we’ve seen on the show before or a newcomer?

Umm, I don’t think I can tell you that! But I will tell you that he’s nice eye candy, so we’ll put it that way.

I like Maggie, but I have a hard time thinking of any of her romantic relationships as "hot" (based on the awkwardness we've seen so far).  Hopefully the show can change my mind!

What leads you to believe it would be one of them?  She basically gave zero information and it could be anyone.  It could be the guy she dated once last year.

I like Maggie, but I have a hard time thinking of any of her romantic relationships as "hot" (based on the awkwardness we've seen so far).  Hopefully the show can change my mind!

She would have said it is that radiologist,this is a new person.She said nice eye candy. So I figured Andrew is a nice eye candy. Or the young blond haired intern?Also Ben but she said fans will like it,so most likely not Ben because he is married to Bailey and I don´t think Shonda will take her away form Bailey. It leaves only Andrew or the other intern.

I'm still not following you on why it couldn't be the radiologist?  She played coy on whether or not it was a character we've seen before.  Plus just about every guy on this show is "eye candy".  Hell, it could be Jackson at this point.  Who cares that they are semi related...he definitely falls under eye candy.

I am not saying it IS the radiologist, just pointing out that it could pretty much be anyone.

Edited by Greysaddict

I'm still not following you on why it couldn't be the radiologist?  She played coy on whether or not it was a character we've seen before.  Plus just about every guy on this show is "eye candy".  Hell, it could be Jackson at this point.  Who cares that they are semi related...he definitely falls under eye candy.

I am not saying it IS the radiologist, just pointing out that it could pretty much be anyone.

Yes,but why keep it a secret if it is the radiologist?We all know him so she is not giving any secret away, we know Maggie was dating him in S11. That Ethan guy.

I think she is talking about a new man, well,yes, eye candy goes for everybody,sort of.

Jackson would be like an incest. To date a step-brother who is still married? Who would find a married step-brother hot?That is gross. Well, but this is Shondaland.

Yes. Maggie will be cracking open that part of her life this season. Honestly, it’s so much fun and the way that it has unfolded so far is very, very hot. I think the fans will love it.

I'd say it could be an intern. I don't think it will be Ben, Jackson or any other regular as they're all in popular pairings so fans wouldn't like it. I don't care who it is once we don't have to watch Alex follow her around again giving her advice and telling her how awesome she is all the time.

• Love 2

I'd say it could be an intern. I don't think it will be Ben, Jackson or any other regular as they're all in popular pairings so fans wouldn't like it. I don't care who it is once we don't have to watch Alex follow her around again giving her advice and telling her how awesome she is all the time.

I tend to think the same, it must be that Andrew. 

You are right about Alex.

Well, this is true. She was awkward in those scenes with Ethan,hard to imagine she could be different. We´ll see.