Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

EW Spoiler Room:

Well there goes "the season is all mapped out from the start" that we've heard in previous seasons. LOL, its the fly by the seat of your pants season. 

I'm guessing Martin's character will eventually be paired with Meredith. I don't think he would necessarily be tainted if he casually dated someone else first. If it was written as a few dates showing him as a nice guy and it just not be the right relationship it could be used to show the audience he's a good guy. It would all depend on how it was written IMO. I just hope he's given some personality and story outside of being the new love interest. I know, I know, good luck with that!

I agree, I don't think he will be tainted either and I could see those situations working if written well. I just meant because they are already facing such an uphill battle with so many people looking for any reason to hate him and his possible pairing with Meredith I thought the writers might be less inclined to try it.

In terms of how much is planned out I get the impression Shonda's style has always been very fly by the seed of your pants by the way she talks, with some obvious exceptions. She has this way of talking about the characters as if she is an observer and not the one controlling them. Her comments about liking April and Jackson together and not knowing how it's going to turn out sound similar to what she has said about Callie and Arizona. I also remember during season 9 she tweeted she had decided to throw everything they had out for the finale and to change everything late in the game.

The 24 episode season probably contributes to this style of working as well with the workload and time constraints it creates.

Edited by Marni
  • Love 1

In terms of how much is planned out I get the impression Shonda's style has always been very fly by the seed of your pants by the way she talks, with some obvious exceptions. She has this way of talking about the characters as if she is an observer and not the one controlling them. Her comments about liking April and Jackson together and not knowing how it's going to turn out sound similar to what she has said about Callie and Arizona. I also remember during season 9 she tweeted she had decided to throw everything they had out for the finale and to change everything late in the game.

Very true, I believe she observes how the actors play each other out on screen,what actors post on twitter regarding their roles, I do think she is a kind of spy, and based on this she develops the character´s relationships.

I guess she didn´t handle Patrick´s tweeting about racing 99% and 1% about Greys that well. I think she is a vindictive woman on characters and actors who portray them.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan

In many previous seasons she's said that she knows how the season will end, etc. even though things can always change as the season progresses. I've always had the impression (from reading interviews) that many showrunners/head writers are open to changing story if something isn't working, if actors click, and so on. So, I think in some respect there's often times on shows where changes mid way cause some off the cuff changes even when there is a plan.

To some extent I believed there was a general outline on GA of the seasons but I think actor contracts expiring & backstage issues throw that out the window. It just feels less planned out the past couple of seasons (plane crash forward) but that's just my perception.

I'm wondering if Sarah or Jesse's contracts are up for renewal. If so, I think that will be a driving force in the story - have them broken up so if one leaves its easy to write one out. 

Set visits should start up in the next 3 weeks or so. Hopefully that means some additional spoilers and interviews.

Edited by windsprints

Apocalypse Cow said:

I really am shocked at how much I'm liking Maggie and how much I'm liking how they've integrated her into the show.  Rarely does a new character really work for me. Amelia was/is a bomb.  Terrible. Take her away.  I'm still meh sometimes on April, but she's been around so long that I've just accepted her. The newbies (Jo and Stephanie) are whatever--- plot devices basically.  Lexie never felt "in" with the group, and was more of a Mark thing than a Mer thing.  But Maggie? I'm feeling her.  I really am.  Last night kinda cemented it for me. She felt right in the tunnel with them, and that hug between her and Richard was really touching. I'm invested in her now.

I´m really torn with Maggie for this new season.I would really want to like her again. I took your post because it is so inspiring and there is something about the character that is truly endearing worth admiring. I think I might forgive her the vagina monologues with Alex and crying during the surgery.

What do you predict might happen for Maggie this season?Will she find a new love? Was Ethan just a prop? Will Richard and Maggie develop a deeper bond? Or the step sibling relationship with Jackson might be explored more?

The actress mentioned Maggie will be living at Mer´s house, so the unbearable Amelia will be there all the time,which is so awful because Mer´s and Maggie´s sisterly bond is disrupted in this way - Kelly said their living together is like clashes of the titans???!!! That does not sound too optimistic.I think Maggie is the one of these three who can actually say sorry first,or apologise first, you know Amelia is so full of herself and maybe Meredith will be struggling with her own pain to even say something.

Kelly also said that Shonda plans to explore Maggie´s love life some more - what do you think it means?

LakeLover said:
I can't believe it, but I'm beginning to like Maggie. I knew she hadn't gotten her head checked out, though. I wonder if it's going to come back to haunt her in some way oh no wait, this is Grey's, we'll never hear about it again.

Hey, LakeLover, do you think this might come back this new season or is it over?

If you have time, do drop a few lines,please. Thanks.

BTW, I know you are a huge Derek fan, how do you deal with a possible new love interest for  Meredith?Will you watch season 12?

You know, at least they give Meredith time to grieve Derek´s death, you see, Cristina left the show and Owen jumped into another woman´s bed at speed of light. I think it might be a bit comforting for you to see that Meredith has grieved for some time to even consider dating again. Or no??? But then again there are real life spouses who never ever remarry after losing a beloved one. I hope you won´t mind me asking you about this. I am your fellow companion - a Derek fan, too :)

I would like to remind posters that there is an ignore feature available here at PTV.  What does this mean?  If a poster happens to be annoying you, you can ignore their posts by following the following instructions:

Go to the top of your screen and click on the little head icon.
Click on "Manage Ignore Prefs".
Type in the annoying person's name.
Click the little boxes to the right that give you options on what to ignore.
Click "Save Changes."
Return to the forum and have fun.

Now, if someone else quotes the annoying person, you'll still see that. Also, you can't ignore the mods. And we can't ignore you. But otherwise, you should be good to go.

Please be aware, this isn't sparked by any one poster in particular, but just a reminder that this feature is available, and can offer a bit of peace in an otherwise chaotic world.

::giggle::

• Love 2

Cycworker said:

I was chatting on Twitter with Karin Gleason and I asked her. I didn't ask her about the sides, because I didn't want to say anything that could get folks who read & post them in trouble. There's a rumour they're not posting them at the same place anymore because they didn't like how much folks figured out re: Derek's death.

Have you had any news on the sides yet? Or still nothing??? They gave us excellent ground for speculating, without them it is a blind alley :(

From SpoilerTV: 

The world's tallest actress, Lindsay Kay Hayward, will be guest-starring in an upcoming episode of Grey's Anatomy [12x02].

At six feet nine inches tall, Hayward was one of the four stars of TLC's fascinating My Giant Life this summer. On Tuesday night, the women all got together for a "Big Updates" special and Hayward revealed she had been cast for a role on Grey's.

Still nothing re: Sides. 

Desperate times. This is very unusual,as far as I can remember there were always sides summaries available from some fans.

You can´t do anything about it right, no hint which site posts them now?

You´re our only hope now :)  Thanks.

I know you are an expert on this,if Henderson is already cast so there won´t be sides released for him, only for the patient his character might be involved with as a doctor,am I right? But one could decipher from the sides he might be this new doctor we haven´t met yet?

There are a ton of rumors floating around Twitter that the actress who played Edie in 11x21 (the red head doctor from the hospital where Derek died) was at the table read for episode 250, which is 12x05 (I think?). I believe Debbie Allen originally posted the pic but the post now deleted. The picture is still around but I don't want to link to any private Twitter accounts.

People are saying she's a guest star, but if she's at the table read she would have to be a recurring guest star not just one time right? She must have a arc in the beginning of the season. I've seen rumors that she is 1) dating Callie or Arizona or 2) transfered to GSMH and is being mentored by Meredith.

There are a ton of rumors floating around Twitter that the actress who played Edie in 11x21 (the red head doctor from the hospital where Derek died) was at the table read for episode 250, which is 12x05 (I think?). I believe Debbie Allen originally posted the pic but the post now deleted. The picture is still around but I don't want to link to any private Twitter accounts.

People are saying she's a guest star, but if she's at the table read she would have to be a recurring guest star not just one time right? She must have a arc in the beginning of the season. I've seen rumors that she is 1) dating Callie or Arizona or 2) transfered to GSMH and is being mentored by Meredith.

I recall a lot of speculation that they'd try to work her into the season somehow. My only issue is my most common issue with this show - why give her an arc when we now have 15 other regular characters to focus on? I suppose we'll see. I can see Shonda wanting to use the 250th ep as something big for Meredith, so maybe she really does just pop in for one episode. Having Callie or Arizona date her would be super weird.. 

• Love 2

I thought anyone cast for the episode attended the table reads but maybe its different on different shows (I know I've read guest actors were at ones for other shows).

I can see Shonda wanting to use the 250th ep as something big for Meredith, so maybe she really does just pop in for one episode.

It could be something simple like a flashback to the day Derek died, maybe an unseen conversation Meredith had with the doctor. Or she could come in as a patient and Meredith has to treat her.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

Tidbit about Meredith from EW: 

Grey’s Anatomy’s Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo)
Meredith is moving back into her mother’s house with her sisters Amelia and Maggie while “throwing herself into her work and her kids,” Pompeo says, teasing an upcoming promotion for the doc.

My thought is maybe Bailey gets Chief and Meredith becomes head of general surgery? What other promotion could it be? 

Tidbit about Meredith from EW: 

My thought is maybe Bailey gets Chief and Meredith becomes head of general surgery? What other promotion could it be? 

Or Meredith is the one who goes up against Bailey for Chief.  If its between the two Meredith will win like always.

Do you think she is a lesbian love interest for Callie or Arizona? I hope not. I don´t want her to be.

I loved the actress in 1121, I also mentioned her here - Samantha Sloyan. I really enjoyed the way she portrayed the doc,just one epi,but I connected with her.

Did you also like the doc or no?  I´m happy she is on Greys but not as a love interest misused for a triangle.

Allen deleted it because it is a spoiler?

If she is brought to be mentored by Meredith,this could be really captivating to watch. They had a lovely moving scene in that epi.

Or Meredith is the one who goes up against Bailey for Chief.  If its between the two Meredith will win like always.

I never thought of that, and as much as I sort of like the idea of Meredith becoming chief, I think I'd rather see her focus on surgery. Also, that'd be sort of crushing for Bailey. One thing that's been off about her character for me of lately is that they haven't shown her to be the best doctor. When we first met her as the Nazi, she was a kick ass surgeon with a tough attitude. Not only do we now not often see that kick ass attitude, but we never really see her thrive in surgery either. I think she deserves some accolades and a decent, meaty story... it feels like all of her old students have surpassed her. I want to see Bailey kick some butt again. 

• Love 3

I don't want the doctor who treated Derek on for more than an episode. We've already had 2 of Meredith's half siblings pop up with jobs at SGM. Now having this doc get a job there a year and a half after Derek died too? Every person Meredith related to or having met Meredith doesn't need to come work there.

I'd find Meredith suddenly becoming Chief contrived as all hell. Other than some portions of resident years she's never managed even a small group of people nevermind a department. I'd laugh because even SGM would be able to find someone more qualified. Having her go from attending to department head would at least make some sense. COS would not.

I hope we get spoilers for all the other characters soon and that this is the beginning of the press push.

• Love 2

I never thought of that, and as much as I sort of like the idea of Meredith becoming chief, I think I'd rather see her focus on surgery. Also, that'd be sort of crushing for Bailey. One thing that's been off about her character for me of lately is that they haven't shown her to be the best doctor. When we first met her as the Nazi, she was a kick ass surgeon with a tough attitude. Not only do we now not often see that kick ass attitude, but we never really see her thrive in surgery either. I think she deserves some accolades and a decent, meaty story... it feels like all of her old students have surpassed her. I want to see Bailey kick some butt again. 

I think we will see Meredith as the Chief of her dept (General) not as the COS (yet).  Which is funny since we've never had a "chief of general", but I think that's where they will be going with her storyline.

BaseOps you are right, we have't seen the kick ass Bailley in a long time, but usually the COS doesn't do a lot of surgery, so hopefully if Bailey becomes chief we can get her old authoritative self back and she will take charge.  Her character desperately needs that revival.  

I say "yet" because I have a theory the show will end with Meredith as Chief 

Thanks BaseOps for the scoop.

Who does Owen move in with? Arizona or one of the married couple April or Jackson if they are separated?

My guess is maybe April, since she returns after 3 months in the field, and maybe Jackson doesn't want her back at the apartment. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

My guess is maybe April, since she returns after 3 months in the field, and maybe Jackson doesn't want her back at the apartment. 

Yes, it makes sense.

Where will Arizona live? 

Where is Stephanie living by the way?

Yes, it makes sense.

Where will Arizona live? 

Where is Stephanie living by the way?

I guess Stephanie lives in limbo, because I don't think it was never mentioned.

Arizona will probably live in Meredith's basement or in Zola's bedroom. It's not like adults can live alone in Grey's Anatomy, right?

• Love 1

New tweet from set decorator Nicole Cramer

Nicole Cramer ‏@NicDecorator
So many fun new sets this season...I'm a bit decorated out!! #timefor3daysofrest #GAnewsetsontheway

We know about Alex and Jo's loft, an guesses on the others? I'm still hoping for April and Arizona together but the new Owen scoop makes that seem less likely.

New tweet from set decorator Nicole Cramer

We know about Alex and Jo's loft, an guesses on the others? I'm still hoping for April and Arizona together but the new Owen scoop makes that seem less likely.

I guess writers figured out it might be time for Owen to live in a decent place not in the trailer like a constant camper so that is the other new set. 

Maybe he moves in with Callie?  

But Callie has a house with Arizona,of course Arizona moved out, but the set decorator talked about so many new sets so it might be that both Arizona and Owen get a new place to live. Or only Arizona does and Owen then moves in with Callie which I find odd when she is dating another woman but Owen (when he was with Cristina(S5,S6) lived with Calzona - a lesbian couple before so maybe it turns him on so to say.

My guesses are:

- Callie in the house with the new date staying over

- Arizona has a place of her own and moves out of Mer´s house

- Owen has a new place and moves in with either April or Jackson,but if Arizona has a new place,too it would make more sense for April if separated from Jackson to go and stay with her and not Owen.

All in all,what´s the point of Owen living with/moving in with Arizona/Callie or with either April or Jackson? It is totally useless and uninteresting for all characters involved.

BaseOps said:
Amelia literally spends season 11 yelling at and condescending nearly every other character. Derek, Meredith, Callie, Herman, Steph, Owen.. the list goes on and on.

I think this trait of hers will be the same in S12 and unfortunately, we are in for some more screaming matches of Amelia versus Meredith and versus Maggie as Kelly said it´s like the "clash of the Titans" all three of them living together.

"A rivalry will ensue where we watch Jo fight for what kind of doctor she wants to be and struggle with not being as good as Stephanie" - Jo spoiler from the EW article.

As a Jo fan I'm glad that they've finally decided to address Jo's career but I can't help but feel they could have done it last season instead of ignoring her completely and having Stephanie be the bestest in every specialty.

Also don't care to see more Amelia/Stephanie as I find Stephanie only further inflates Amelia's already massive ego.

• Love 1

"A rivalry will ensue where we watch Jo fight for what kind of doctor she wants to be and struggle with not being as good as Stephanie" - Jo spoiler from the EW article.

As a Jo fan I'm glad that they've finally decided to address Jo's career but I can't help but feel they could have done it last season instead of ignoring her completely and having Stephanie be the bestest in every specialty.

Also don't care to see more Amelia/Stephanie as I find Stephanie only further inflates Amelia's already massive ego.

Very true indeed and Hinton just tweeted she worked many hours  with Scorsone last week,so we will see Stephanie working with Amelia a lot  in 1204 and as you said it inflates Amelia´s already MASSIVE ego and I am afraid we will witness exactly that being only reinforced, Stephanie worshipping the ground "superhero" Amelia walks on. So out of any kind of relevant reality. Another reason  for me at least to fastforward those scenes. Also I don´t like we get to see Jo not being as good as Stephanie, the issue for me is why are they undermining  Jo as a doctor by comparing her to sb else?

Also as an actress Hinton inflates Scorsone´s ego when in that Scorsone special on DVD Hinton said Scorsone is the best of them all.

I was like really????!!!!!That´s nonsensical. 

I hope we will not witness another Season of Amelia´s anatomy. It seems 1204 is an Amelia festival again. Guzman wrote 1204 as well as the awful episodes with Amelia/Stephanie shrieking convos and freaking superhero positions  - 1114, then 1120 so I am petrified 1204 is their sequel. But good to know beforehand that I can skip 1204.

Also I don´t like we get to see Jo not being as good as Stephanie, the issue for me is why are they undermining  Jo as a doctor by comparing her to sb else?

This. It seems Stephanie benefited from being the only character without a romance as it seemed she got every medical storyline while Jo and Ben don't seem to have gotten any. Last season she seemed to be the best in every specialty while Jo never even mentioned choosing one. It's irritating that Jo's relationship with Alex seemed to completely regress her character growth. She was pushed to the background and treated badly by Meredith while Alex sauntered around with the Meredith support posse for the entire season.

Stephanie worshipping the ground "superhero" Amelia walks on

Not to mention that ridiculous superhero pose they both did non stop for one episode.

• Love 1

This. It seems Stephanie benefited from being the only character without a romance as it seemed she got every medical storyline while Jo and Ben don't seem to have gotten any. Last season she seemed to be the best in every specialty while Jo never even mentioned choosing one. It's irritating that Jo's relationship with Alex seemed to completely regress her character growth. She was pushed to the background and treated badly by Meredith while Alex sauntered around with the Meredith support posse for the entire season.

Not to mention that ridiculous superhero pose they both did non stop for one episode.

I agree, it is true. I don´t like how they are treating Jo in the writers´ room.With all the superwoman power they boast of, she is an outcast.

Pretty sure this has all been posted in the thread but posting in case anyone missed it - just some small tidbits of spoilers from TVLine:

Grey's Anatomy:

Relax, McDreamy diehards: New cast member Martin Henderson (Off the Map) is not replacing Patrick Dempsey as the new love of Meredith's life. In fact, romance in general is "not the focus" for the still-grieving widow, maintains series creator Shonda Rhimes, adding, "Meredith's on a journey and I'm taking her where the journey leads her." Season 12 will adopt a "lighter" tone, says Rhimes, with Alex and Jo settling into their new home and Callie and Arizona embarking on "exciting" new relationships. April, meanwhile, returns from her latest overseas jaunt to find her marriage to Jackson riding on fumes.

RETURN DATE: Thursday, Sept. 24 at 8/7c (ABC)

Pretty sure this has all been posted in the thread but posting in case anyone missed it - just some small tidbits of spoilers from TVLine:

I hope the fact that they're not giving us much new info means some stuff is being kept under wraps. Everything we know was pretty obvious from the finale (Mer / Maggie / Amelia living together, more Alex / Jo stories, Bailey fighting for chief, Callie and Arizona dating, etc.) 

I'm looking forward to seeing Alex/Jo get a storyline after a season and a half of nothing. If they're going to continue with Alex as Mer's "person" I'd at least like to see her get called out on her shoddy treatment of Jo and maybe have a moment where they bond.

• Love 2

I'm looking forward to seeing Alex/Jo get a storyline after a season and a half of nothing. If they're going to continue with Alex as Mer's "person" I'd at least like to see her get called out on her shoddy treatment of Jo and maybe have a moment where they bond.

I don't even need or necessarily want Jo to bond with Meredith, I just need Meredith to treat her respectfully.  I would much rather see Jo bond with Callie, Arizona or April.  As for the Meredith and Alex friendship, I would be fine with never hearing "my person" again for the rest of my life.  Their friendship has always been a high point of the show for me, but it needs to be more equal with both sides having boundaries and supporting each other equally.

More than just about anything (except Alex and Jo having something to do), I want the writers to smooth Meredith out.  I really can't take another season of her being so monstrously selfish and unfeeling.  She has had over a year now to come to terms with Cristina's departure and Derek's death so her excuses for being so awful to so many people are waning.  I don't expect her to be over Derek's death or to become Sydney Heron, but I would really like to see her back to being sarcastic yet compassionate and for the hardships that she has overcome recently to give her a newfound appreciation for the (many) blessings that she does still have.  Unfortunately, I am not sure that will happen, at least not right away.  With the talk of all of the girlish dating shenanigans by both Amelia and Maggie, not to mention Callie and Arizona, I predict Meredith being very sanctimonious and superior about it all, as if she never, ever acted so immature while she was single. Then again, I also predict ridiculous and embarrassing conversations regarding said grown women and their dating, so maybe it will be deserved.  

• Love 1
I also predict ridiculous and embarrassing conversations regarding said grown women and their dating, so maybe it will be deserved.

Please let Alex be home at he & Jo's loft, at the bar, working, at the grocery store, at the gym or absolutely anywhere else while these conversations are happening. I don't want Alex being one of the gals again this season.

First photo of a new set, a "high tech new cadaver lab that will be home to a new anatomy class at Grey Sloan this season."

Maybe we'll be seeing some actual teaching at the hospital for a few episodes?  I would like to see some of the senior doctors teaching again.

I don't even need or necessarily want Jo to bond with Meredith, I just need Meredith to treat her respectfully.  I would much rather see Jo bond with Callie, Arizona or April.  As for the Meredith and Alex friendship, I would be fine with never hearing "my person" again for the rest of my life.  Their friendship has always been a high point of the show for me, but it needs to be more equal with both sides having boundaries and supporting each other equally.

Good points. Meredith was actively rooting for a breakup with them in the finale so she could move her entire family into his house. I think it was hugely disrespectful and if there was ever a time for Alex to call her on her crap and warn her to respect himself, Jo and their relationship it was then but no, as usual he doesn't even react.

Please let Alex be home at he & Jo's loft, at the bar, working, at the grocery store, at the gym or absolutely anywhere else while these conversations are happening. I don't want Alex being one of the gals again this season.

Hands down the worst part of the season. I don't care how funny the writers thought it could be, it wasn't. He was a prop to all the women especially Meredith and Maggie. It was terrible.

I'd rather see him bond with the men for a change. All the men in the cast are tied to these crazy women. How about a funny episode where they bond? I remember they had a few humorous episodes like this early in the series run such as a the male bonding camping trip with Alex, George, Shepard, Burke and Richard. That's a hilarious episode. How about more of that for a change...

• Love 1

The men on this show are so disconnected. Alex and Jackson are supposed to be friends, right? When is the last time they did anything together? The chief is kind of excluded because if his age, and Owen isn't friends with any of the guys, especially now with Derek gone. Ben has no relationships beyond Bailey.

• Love 2

The men on this show are so disconnected. Alex and Jackson are supposed to be friends, right? When is the last time they did anything together? The chief is kind of excluded because if his age, and Owen isn't friends with any of the guys, especially now with Derek gone. Ben has no relationships beyond Bailey.

This is great,disconnected is the word  - I think this has become Shonda´s goal lately because it is all about the woman power.

Derek and Mark was the only true bromance.Maybe the new young interns Andrew and that blond guy might be friends.

This is great,disconnected is the word  - I think this has become Shonda´s goal lately because it is all about the woman power.

Derek and Mark was the only true bromance.

It would be nice but I'm really not that fussed. I can watch bromances on just about every other show on TV. There are very few shows dominated by women.

• Love 1

I would love one episode where the guys hang out. That should be the goal for season 12.

The problem with that is that none of the male regulars are really friends. They rarely share scenes. I mean, what would Owen, Alex, Ben, Jackson, and Richard talk about? I wish they had kept some focus on an Alex / Jackson friendship, but that was left totally unexplored. I don't really think of any of the guys as more than colleagues, and I don't think the writers really ever focus enough on their interactions. 

• Love 1

Just because I'm feeling evil, imagine this for the season premiere:  Opening shot in Joe's bar, Meredith sad, looking at her drink, it's been a year or so, but she misses her husband, she had the nanny stay overnight because she needed a little time on her own.  Cut to, handsome guy sitting next to her, and she starts flirting and they keep drinking.  They have chemistry and continue flirting; Cut to guy's house, the guy wakes up, he has to leave, he kicks Meredith out, he's late for his job; later in episode we learn the guy is a first day new intern and one of his attendings is.....yep! 

Of course this isn't going to happen, but good lord, the internet would KABOOM!!!!

• Love 1