Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

True, indeed.

That insanely crappy thing they did to have She-Shepherd live in dreamhouse(yes,she is stil there although she said she would move out, but stays there like a parasite,  also Owen is STILL there and has been in that dumb trailer for how many seasons now???

Writers did that only to pair up these two. There will very likely be OA scene in the trailer in 1113 per tweeted info by the crew, so very conveniently writers will SUDDENLY remember O lives there for them to have another crappy OA scene Shonda can fangirl about.

I´m so furious.

That trailer is one thing that should have been sold off a long time ago. I'm sorry, its not like Owen can't live in a nice apartment or something, he has the money. Something that always drove me nuts about the characters over the last decade. Early on, their living situations made sense but they have you know, money now. Have names, journal articles, papers, studies, ect that are well known and famous in the Grey's Universe. So why does it get to the point they want someone else who is interning at the hospital to cut their hair or do their laundry? 

• Love 1
Something that always drove me nuts about the characters over the last decade. Early on, their living situations made sense but they have you know, money now.

Same.  I never cared much for Derek but I have pitied him over the living situation. As an adult I cannot imagine moving in (then marrying) a partner who insisted on having her buddies rooming with us. Of course, having them barge in and climb in bed made it even worse.

Isn't Amelia living at the Shepherd house because Derek asked her to? My memory isn't the best but I thought he asked her to move in because they wanted help with the kids. If Meredith actually hired a nanny that should be Amelia's exit as she wouldn't be needed on her off days to have to watch Meredith's kids.

If there's one thing I enjoy with Jo and Stephanie it's their friendship. I really buy it as genuine. I'm not into many of the other friendships anymore on the show so it's nice to have one that stands out for me.

April and Jackson were gut wrenching in the episode. So heartbreaking.

From ABC: The March 12 #GreysAnatomy will feature an earthquake that traps Meredith in an elevator.

Source: Leslie Goldberg from THR twitter

Goes with the side for the episode of a doctor trapped and saving another. Of course its Meredith, lol.  Would not be shocked if she operates on herself with her hands and another with her feet. Cause she's just that special.

At this point tornado, volcano and anitaM86's zombie attack are up for grabs for the finale.

ETA: justinchambersonline posted a press release with different info

If the press release is correct then its Maggie in the elevator and instead of Meredith. The sides have a trapped doctor helping a child but going by that press release it looks like it could be Owen helping a kid over the phone. There could be 2 kids but it seems too similar to have the both the person in the elevator and Owen helping a child.

ETA again:

Leslie corrected. Its Maggie.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3
At this point tornado, volcano and anitaM86's zombie attack are up for grabs for the finale.

I know I was kidding about the zombie attack but now it looks plausible. Jeez, don't these people know when to stop? Next season it will be a Alien vs. Predator thing? 

Wait. That would be awesome, so no. 

it's episode 11x18 that's being filmed.

Do we know when does he come back? I recall reading about him being in 11x16 but can't remember if it was just talk. 

I know I was kidding about the zombie attack but now it looks plausible. Jeez, don't these people know when to stop? Next season it will be a Alien vs. Predator thing? 

Wait. That would be awesome, so no. 

Do we know when does he come back? I recall reading about him being in 11x16 but can't remember if it was just talk. 

Maybe they'll do a shout out to PD and make it a "Transformers" thing.  :-)

This was the first PD info I've seen since Derek went to DC.  I hope you're recalling correctly that he's in 11x16!!

Heart in elevator gal? This really has been the season of recycled storylines...

You can say that again!!  They should change this season's tagline from "The season of Meredith" to "The season of recycled storylines!!"  I think that the only formula for life that Shonda knows is "Wash, rinse, repeat."

• Love 3
Next season it will be a Alien vs. Predator thing?

Supernatural beings should be considered since the hospital seems to be a hellmouth given all the terrible things that happen to the people there.

trapping Maggie in an elevator and threatening Meredith’s long streak of successful surgeries

I suppose Meredith will make the entire situation about her and her streak of success.

• Love 2

Does the earthquake/elevator episode come right after the operating on Dr. Herman episode or is there another episode in between?  I was thinking maybe Amelia succeeds in her surgery, but has the rug pulled out from under her at the last moment when an earthquake causes her to accidentally do catastrophic damage to Herman's brain.

Same.  I never cared much for Derek but I have pitied him over the living situation. As an adult I cannot imagine moving in (then marrying) a partner who insisted on having her buddies rooming with us. Of course, having them barge in and climb in bed made it even worse.

Isn't Amelia living at the Shepherd house because Derek asked her to? My memory isn't the best but I thought he asked her to move in because they wanted help with the kids. If Meredith actually hired a nanny that should be Amelia's exit as she wouldn't be needed on her off days to have to watch Meredith's kids.

I actually kind of understood that. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be able to live like that, but Meredith is an emotional mess and she needed her friends. And that was their way of saying he loved her and was willing to take her with whatever craziness she came with. A bit unrealistic, but I get it. I was so glad that he actually built a house and moved out the trailer though. Time for all the other residents to step up and stop behaving like Interns.

For anyone that follows sides....this one wasn't in last night's episode, correct?

Grey’s Anatomy Sides 11x13

Filming dates for this episode are from 12/11 - 1/07 with a hiatus from 12/22 - 1/02.

Executive Assistant, Seattle Law Firm — The assistant knocks on a door and interrupts Ms. Clauson who is busy reading a document at her desk. The assistant kindly asks if she’s ready to go and while Ms. Clauson says yes, she doesn’t get up from her desk. The car is waiting. Ms. Clauson slowly rises and the assistant explains that she can’t be the thing that holds up the meeting. It’s time to go. Ms. Clauson starts to put on her coat and explains that that case is one that her sister won. That’s nice but they really need to go. Ms. Clauson puts on her coat, grabs her briefcase and hurries out the door.

Source: Leslie Goldberg from THR twitter

Goes with the side for the episode of a doctor trapped and saving another. Of course its Meredith, lol.  Would not be shocked if she operates on herself with her hands and another with her feet. Cause she's just that special.

ETA: justinchambersonline posted a press release with different info

If the press release is correct then its Maggie in the elevator and instead of Meredith. The sides have a trapped doctor helping a child but going by that press release it looks like it could be Owen helping a kid over the phone. There could be 2 kids but it seems too similar to have the both the person in the elevator and Owen helping a child.

ETA again:

Leslie corrected. Its Maggie.

I don´t understand the press release and sides don´t match,it all seems like both Maggie and Owen fit the person who is with Ruby the girl whose mum is injured, the overturned car is now the elevator. Will we see Maggie just trapped alone in the elevator and that´s it? If Owen is on the phone with the girl, who does Maggie help then in the elevator? Who can she see from the elevator?

Or is Maggie injured in the elevator with a little girl and Owen gives her instructions??? Weird or no?

The girl (who is in a car accident with mum) dials 911 just after the trapped doctor (Maggie??) loses conciousness (after helping to give 1st aid to the girl´s mum), but then is unable to help her further so is it then the girl calls Owen asking for help? But how can Maggie see an accident from the elevator??? It all doesn´t make any sense to me. Unless that accident happens in the hospital.

What do you think? Can anyone make out what the reality is?

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
I don´t understand the press release and sides don´t match

They likely used different situations in the sides. They've done this on occasion, especially for the disaster type episodes. The ferry crash scene was a packed ER, the shooting was a fire, etc. We know Owen helps a child from the press release but we don't know anything about Maggie other than she's in an elevator. It may turn out that Maggie and Owen are helping the same child. In the sides the doctor with the girl seems to pass out. So, Maggie could be helping her then passes out and Owen then talks her through over the phone. It also possible there's 2 trapped doctors, one in a car and Maggie in the elevator, but my guess is that there is no doctor trapped in the car.

Its hard to say for sure. There will probably be more spoilers/clues to what will happen leading up the the episode.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thanks.

I hope they both work with the same child.

For 1114 I hope Meredith takes it all in her hands and makes Amelia shut up finally. Why not have Meredith shine in neuro again? If I want anyone to succeed medically it is Meredith for her hard work, she deserves it and definitely not Amelia.

Why not have Meredith shine in neuro again?

If Richard didn't take the fall for her Meredith would have been fired for her actions during the trail. She lost the trial for her husband and co-workers and put the hospital in a bad light.  I still would not be shocked if Mary Sue ended up back in neuro. She's often received special treatment.

• Love 2

Just read the press release for episode 11X16 and am wondering what Meredith's "fear" about Derek could be??? Hope they are not planning on continuing to play Meredith as "Little Miss Independent" and she thinks she can get along just fine without Derek! Turning Meredith into Ellis 2.0 would be a good way to lose the viewers they have left! If they break Meredith and Derek up or turn this into a prolonged fight and separation, so help me I am so done with this show! Waiting for Derek's return..

• Love 2
what Meredith's "fear" about Derek could be???

My guess is that this will be that it'll involve Derek also being OK without her, or that he is unhappy with her and that in fact, their marriage may be in more trouble. 

Or that Derek does see her as Ellis. Either way, unless Derek develops a massive terminal illness, I doubt they'll divorce.

she thinks she can get along just fine without Derek

I think that this has been the point of this season, of being the d*mn sun. She doesn't need a man or a husband to be happy (which is a fine message) but doesn't fit well with how the show has been portraying it, essentially dismissing the existence of a man she chose to marry as a secondhand thought. 

We'll see though. I believe PD is back this episode, so perhaps we will have him soon enough. 

• Love 1

For anyone that follows sides....this one wasn't in last night's episode, correct?

Executive Assistant, Seattle Law Firm — The assistant knocks on a door and interrupts Ms. Clauson who is busy reading a document at her desk. The assistant kindly asks if she’s ready to go and while Ms. Clauson says yes, she doesn’t get up from her desk. The car is waiting. Ms. Clauson slowly rises and the assistant explains that she can’t be the thing that holds up the meeting. It’s time to go. Ms. Clauson starts to put on her coat and explains that that case is one that her sister won. That’s nice but they really need to go. Ms. Clauson puts on her coat, grabs her briefcase and hurries out the door.

No, this exact scene was not in the episode.  But as Windsprints said a few posts above mine, Grey's occasionally uses alternate scenarios in the sides.  IMHO, this one could translate into the scene with Geena Davis and Arizona after the last MRI.  Geena Davis would be Ms. Clauson and Arizona would be the assistant.

I thought at least one of the characters in a "side" was usually someone they were trying to cast, they might have regular characters also, but it was a way to show actors auditioning for a part what they would be doing. Have I been wrong all this time?

Written in response to speculation that Mrs. Clausen and assistant side were Herman and Arizona. I'm not putting down that speculation, just trying to clear up my potential misunderstanding.

I thought at least one of the characters in a "side" was usually someone they were trying to cast, they might have regular characters also, but it was a way to show actors auditioning for a part what they would be doing. Have I been wrong all this time?

Written in response to speculation that Mrs. Clausen and assistant side were Herman and Arizona. I'm not putting down that speculation, just trying to clear up my potential misunderstanding.

You're right, the sides are for guest actors. There is no need for sides for regular characters/actors.

My guess is that it was a side for someone coming to take Dr. Herman to surgery and the scene was cut/changed. It could easily fit with Dr. Herman sitting at her desk reading patient files, etc.

I guess you are right, it could have been something related to Herman's surgery.  When this side first came out, I was sure it was for Derek in DC.  I'm still thinking it was cut because Patrick asked for (additional?) time off, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.  I do realize sides change and get cut all the time.

I don't quite know where to put this speculation anymore, but wanted to stay out of the episode 16 thread. My hope is that Alex calls Derek after Meredith confides her fears to him and tells Derek to get back home, much like Meredith called Izzie to tell her to come back to Seattle because Alex might be moving on. It would be a nice throwback, and would get Meredith off Alex's back ;)

The two sides we had - the one with the administrative assistant, and the one with the the surgical fellow Renee - I'm wondering if that's for Derek. That might explain who answers the phone.

ETA: I guess I don't need spoiler tags in the spoiler thread ;)

Edited by LakeLover

The side for Renee in epi 17 and the press release for the episode really has me concerned that it's true about the cheating (though deep down I don't believe Shonda and the writers would do such a thing as having Derek cheat). The press release stated something to the effect of Meredith, being rattled by recent events, has to decide what to do about Derek. I did not think much of that, of course, until I saw the end of 11X15 and the promo for next week. Now it has me wondering.

The side for 11X17 really sounds like the Brain Mapping Lab and it could be a flashback. However, logically, there are 3 sperate scenes for the character of Renee in that side. It does not really read like a flashback in my opinion. It reads like a "real time" scene at the hospital.Each scene takes place at different points in the day and ultimately, in the last scene nothing happens. Whoever the doctor in the scene is, he leaves the room. Unless there is another scene that we don't know about after that, I really don't see the point of a flashback to Derek in DC that does not show us anything. Maybe it is Jackson or one of the other male doctors.

Here's what I hope happens. I hope the episode opens up showing the viewers Derek rushing around trying to get to the airport or whatever to come back to Seattle. In all the craziness he has left or lost his phone somewhere. Then at the end or torwards the end he is back in Seattle and with Meredith and he can explain to her what happened. I think Meredith will spend the entire episode questioning what is going on (questioning Derek) but I hope they show the audience, at least, quickly that it was all a misunderstandiing!

I just reread the side and don't think it reads like a flashback. So many things could easily change in that side to fit a few people so who knows, could be many things.

I absolutely do not want Alex involved. If Alex calls Derek he will spend the episode being screeched at and lectured how he doesn't have the track record with long term relationships again.  I'm positive he'll spend next episode having to listen to Meredith go on about how Derek could be cheating and that's more than enough involvement for him. I can't see Alex butting in behind her back at all.

My guess: There will be a simple/dumb explanation for the phone and Meredith will know Derek didn't cheat by the end of the next episode. I don't think the real story is intended to be about Derek, cheating or not, at all. I think its about Meredith coming to the realization that she wants Derek there, even if she's so freaking amazing alone. The doubts/lack of trust in him could easily be what supposed rattles her. Maybe it leads her to believe she could potentially lose Derek at some point if things do not change with their arrangement. She told him to leave so this will be the trigger for her to get to the point where she tells him to come home.  Basically, its all just wake up call for Meredith that her marriage/family matters along with her career. Dying, close friend almost dying, close friend dying, Derek being shot & almost dying, sister and husband's best friend dying and surviving a plane crash didn't quite do it, lol.

Just guessing.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

This is the third time I write this thing because apparently I just press backspace and go all the way back. 

I really doubt Alex would ever call Derek for anything. I don't think Alex cares enough about Derek or MerDer's marriage enough to call Derek and warn him anything. Besides, Meredith isn't moving on. The assumption is he might be. But she just realized she needs nobody to make her career excel. That it wasn't Derek's fault or Cristina's fault that she wasn't the best. It was hers. And now it's not. Ta-dah! Of course, she had to almost burn down her marriage to realize that but now time to suck it up and pick the pieces back. 

I don't know if there won't be any flashbacks, I mean, they have to explain the call first. There was a pic about the set a while ago that included what it looks to be a DC set (US flag, blue curtains, golden salon). I wouldn't be necessarily shocked that Derek has had the temptation of cheating, but not going there. After all, he's a handsome man in a new city with no friends or family? I don't believe he would go there but perhaps the whole call would be explained with the fact he went to the bathroom and it results the woman who bought him a drink answered and since she didn't know who Derek was, she was confused. It will be something lame like that. Besides, Meredith wouldn't care. After all, she went to Alex's bathroom while getting showered and seeing him naked. 

As for the episode descriptions, pretty sure it's more than it is. I mean, Maggie was trapped in the elevator for what? Two seconds? I still have no clue how that affected Meredith's streak but ok. Maybe the whole "rattled by recent events" is the aftermath of the call and pondering her future if Derek did cheat on her (with the usual Ellis/Thatcher/Richard parallel because why not) and what would be next for her and the kids, while "facing the music" is more about trust issues. Meredith not trusting Derek enough to believe he wouldn't cheat and Derek being kind of insulted by it or something and both realizing this separation isn't working and that she wants Derek to come home. And he will give in because Derek's work and dreams are worth nothing. And that will be the end of it. I doubt it's more. 

Dying, close friend almost dying, close friend dying, Derek being shot & almost dying, sister and husband's best friend dying and surviving a plane crash didn't quite do it, lol.

Pfffff! Death. You forgot miscarriage too. But hey, it's not like this stuff mattered anyway. Well, the Derek related stuff. 

• Love 1

I doubt Alex will call him and Derrick don't really like each other and only tolerate each other because of Meredith. At least with Meredith it made sense because she was close with Izzie.

Exactly. Meredith called Izzie more for Izzie than Alex. Alex wouldn't call Derek.

The only way Derek would cheat is if Patrick decided to leave the show this season. They wouldn't want to kill him off because they'd want the possibility of bringing him back at the very end of the series, so cheating would be a way to end the marriage.

I can see them writing Derek working out an arrangement to keep his DC job and being in Seattle half the time to allow for Patrick to have episodes off. I think its likely his contract was for fewer episodes since the DC storyline started last season. They layed the ground work to build up to Derek leaving to give Patrick time off. It seems like they knew far in advance he would be missing episodes. He could even be in less episodes next season if he negotiated to race more.

I think the Renee person could be someone working with Callie on her projects or even a new surgical fellow to work with Arizona. We know Callie goes on a date so its definitely possible for both of them to be being setup for future love interests.

Edited by maasa

I speculate that the woman answering Derek's phone was the nanny that Mer may have hired. That Derek snuck home to visit and wants to surprise Mer, met the nanny, and decided to put the kids to bed (or play with them) and the nanny picked up his ringing phone. She didn't want to ruin the surprise visit, so she panics and hangs up.

• Love 1

craziness, I like your speculation.

I found a Shonda Rhimes quote from 2011, talking about Derek & Meredith and their marital difficulties after she tampered with his trial, and she said, "And Derek has always been a person who believes in right or wrong, and that has been the fundamental argument of their relationship."

I hope she remembers that she said this, and felt this way about the character.

I doubt they'd ever have McDreamy cheat but a person believing in right and wrong can still make a mistake. People also grow and change over the course of 4 years. Events like surviving a plane crash can make people want to live more for the moment and grab onto happiness when they can.

On last night's The Good Wife, Marissa Gold said the truest thing ever: "Handsome men are so weak." I think the writers will play with this without actually cheating and going there.

Events like surviving a plane crash can make people want to live more for the moment and grab onto happiness when they can.

In any other show, yes. I doubt that this could be a reason is that the show rarely remembers all that trauma. Plane crash, shooting, all that would make me quit my job and travel everywhere and eat and drink everything. These characters seem to have forgotten that it even happened to them. Meredith, Derek, & Cristina seem to get in planes without problems. Did they even get some sort of counseling? Derek had a small moment of this (two episodes) but was all about done speeding his car in about a week. I don't think this could be a plausible reason in GA.

I hope she remembers that she said this, and felt this way about the character.

Does Shonda even remember Grey's is still going on?

• Love 1
These characters seem to have forgotten that it even happened to them.

They forget most of it by the following episode.

I doubt they'd ever have McDreamy cheat but a person believing in right and wrong can still make a mistake.

And there will always be another character there to tell them that they're still good, they just made a mistake.

Really, does anyone believe there are regular viewers (people that watch almost every week) who actually think McDreamy would cheat? I think everyone is used to overhype in the promos by this point in the series.

Edited by windsprints

Honestly, I don't believe it. Mostly because this show isn't daring enough. And it already happened with Callie and Arizona as well as Owen and Cristina and that didn't go so well. 

Then again, this show seems close to desperate. Maybe they'll try it. I would be shocked if they actually went there. They don't have the courage but it'd be ballsy to do so. 

But the episode and the promo sure did their job. It has people talking about it.

[snipped]

Really, does anyone believe there are regular viewers (people that watch almost every week) who actually think McDreamy would cheat? I think everyone is used to overhype in the promos by this point in the series.

I don't think Derek would ever cheat, especially now that he is a father and that we've seen him refer to the post-it and his real marriage. So, I trust Derek. It's Shonda I don't trust. She has made a point of mentioning how she wrested the characters away from the fans. Funny thing is, without fans, TV shows come and go; they don't last 11 years.

Now, I'm not saying that she has to do what we want, but she has to remain consistent with characterization, otherwise people lose interest.

Count me among those that truly believe this cheating storyline is a red herring. It's smart to make it an issue; it should have been brought up earlier, frankly. "Once a cheater, always a cheater" is something that provides natural fodder for drama, even though the show isn't "ballsy" (as someone said above) to make him a repeat philanderer. They can explore the issue without tarnishing his character by making it actually happen. 

I would love to be proven wrong. I'm rarely shocked by GREY'S these days. Cristina's abortion and Owen's cheating (both in Season Eight) remain the most recent. (Oh, and ABC's allowing Burke to return last year, but that belongs more in the subject of network machinations.) 

Edited by upperco
  • Love 1

You're right, the sides are for guest actors. There is no need for sides for regular characters/actors.

You're right.  I was thinking spoiler or episode description even though it was a side.  My bad.  I'm sorry about mixing it up.  I would agree with Windsprints that the side did refer to Herman, but was changed.

Sides for 11x21 

Should be Richard because there are a few BTS pictures of car scenes with JPJ. The tweets say the car pictures are for episode 20 but it could begin in 20 and continue into 21. I can't see there being car accidents 2 episodes in a row but who knows. It seems like he's (if its him) is taken to another hospital and possibly dies. Seems weird they would tweet out those pictures if that's the case though so it could be that we see Richard in a car but it ends up being someone else.

Edited by windsprints
Should be Richard because there are a few BTS pictures of car scenes with JPJ.

I thought the same thing when I read them. I don't find it that weird as the majority of viewers may not be invested enough to look for the sides and make assumptions, although who knows at this point.

Did JPJ sign on until S12? I thought he did but perhaps he only did a year or a PD year of some episodes. Either way, killing him off before the SF seems odd. 

They can explore the issue without tarnishing his character by making it actually happen.

I'm not sure that Grey's knows how to do that. What they consider humanizing is patronizing and condescending. What they consider powerful is really being petty. If it was any other show, I could buy this premise. Here? It'll probably be that Derek is untrustworthy in any way for a random reason that Meredith seems to be unable to deal with. 

I hope Derek and Meredith can make it. I hope this is one couple that can make it on this show where noone is happy in a marriage. Would it hurt Shonda to show us at least 1 married couple that make it with their kids and careers and grow old and happy together?

I will admit, I started as MerDer fan - S1,2,3  - then I quit watching and came back for Owen and Crowen in S5.

Can at least one couple on this show survive without cheating??? I assume Shonda was cheated on by sb she loved deeply, and this is her revenge on men in general. I don´t see any other reason to be honest of every couple going through cheating on this show. With that said, I hope Derek although he might be tempted by sb, won´t cheat.

Can at least one couple on this show survive without cheating???

Hopefully. I mean, it's just so repetitive. What is cheating supposed to prove? That nobody can keep their pants on? Take a pause for the cause, Shonda.

Adultery/cheating seems to be a standard for all couples of Shondaland. I remember she once tweeted about not wanting to glorify adultery but can we say the opposite? It's the one common thread all couples have. 

I think they use cheating over and over because its a quick way to add drama and break up a couple. Heaven forbid they use any of the million other storylines that could cause drama or split a couple. One thing is that no couple has stayed together on Grey's after the cheating have they? I guess they could do that story, of a couple being able to work through it and remain together. It is something plausible because there are couples IRL that are able to move past it. I'm sticking with no way would they have the nerve to have McDreamy cheat. 

Did JPJ sign on until S12?

Yes. Its my understanding though that the network can still not pick up an actor's option but I could be wrong. 

I don't find it that weird as the majority of viewers may not be invested enough to look for the sides and make assumptions, although who knows at this point.

I agree but what happens when something like that is tweeted is that all the entertainment media see it and it can spread really fast. Once its picked up my mainstream media viewers don't need to be actively looking for sides and tweets. I think they're usually pretty good at not putting out BTS pictures that give away something as major as a character death. That's why I think its possible that Richard could be a red herring.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

I saw someone point out on tumblr: the director for 11x20 tweeted the picture of JPJ in the car and said they were shooting the first scene of 11x20. So, if a character is dying in a car crash in 11x21, I don't think it would happen in the first scene of the episode before it....in both sides (20 and 21) there seem to be car accidents, so my guess is that Webber is driving and witnesses the accident in 11x20 and maybe stops to help or something?

Also since webber had a NDE experience in season 9 finale, if they were planning to send him off, i think they would just send him to boston with catherine...another disaster for webber seems repetitive, but that's just my opinion.

I dont think they would kill derek, even if patrick desperately wanted to leave. he signed on through season 12 and it seems like they gave him a lot of schedule flexibility. why would he want out after they've already been so gracious to him?

I would be more concerned about those whose contracts are up this season (do we know anything about owen, april, jackson, arizona contracts?) or the characters who haven't had any story line or focus (especially alex, but also jo and stephanie). 

any the sides say the patient hasn't shown brain activity. does that actually mean the character is going to die?! they also change the sides a lot, so "no brain activity" could actually be "limited brain activity" and whoever it is could make a miraculous recover by the finale? 

I think someone dies because:

ICU, NIGHT – Dr. Cohn enters, nervous. Sir? Jim turns to see…Dr. Cohn, has appeared out of nowhere. Dr. Cohn looks nervous and mortified and intensely freaked out. Jim just stares at him. Uncomfortable Dr. Cohn clears his throat. Sir, I can’t tell you…how sorry I am for your loss. Your wife was an extraordinary woman. I…it was an honor to..And here he shuts up. Because Jim turns and looks at him so cold and angry.

There is no side for Jim and Dr. Cohn is sorry for his loss and appears to know about his wife enough to say she was an extraordinary woman. I only read the summaries quickly but it seemed like the gender switches back and forth so it I don't think "wife" means its a woman. Its so easily changed to "husband". As of now I am sticking with someone dying and its not Richard. I think Richard is somehow involved, maybe trying to help people.

Of course more sides could come out, more spoilers released, etc. Its just fun to start guessing.

Edited by windsprints

hmm yea it is odd that they would kill a character in an episode that's not the finale, though. Have they ever mixed slides for the finale in with the sides of another episode? 

It's also odd to me that they are casting three (or more?) doctors...is the dying doctor taken to a different hospital? That would be a really disappointing death. Especially if it's a major character, they don't even have the other characters' reactions or have them working on him/her? The character's last moments would be with a ton of guest stars? 

I agree it's not Richard. At this point I'm thinking Alex, Jo, Stephanie, or Arizona. Maybe April if Sarah Drew decided she wants to spend more time at home with her kids, but I highly doubt it. 

OR...is it possible that they are trying to cast some new doctors for GSMH and these slides are made up? A scene to give the people who are auditioning? Or is that unlikely? It is fun to speculate! But I worry about my favorite (Alex). It seems the writers have not invested in his character, so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to kill him off. It would create a lot of drama for most of the other characters.

I don't necessarily want Derek to cheat, but I will be annoyed if the whole thing is a cop out like he lost his phone or something. He is definitely the type of guy who enjoys being admired and having his ego stroked, and he's not getting a lot of that from Meredith these days. So it would be completely in character for him to enjoy the attentions of pretty, young student/researcher/whatever and I can see a situation where they have a charged moment but nothing comes of it. It's almost like the reverse of him and Addison, where he is the one who feels "ignored" in the marriage. I remember there being a lunchtime conversation a few seasons ago where Mer is questioning Derek's attention to someone (April maybe?) and Alex making a remark about Derek liking the ones who think he is great and who shave their legs. I can't remember exactly but that is what this scenario reminded me of and I would rather see Derek go right up against a line, but not cross it, then have him just lose his stupid phone.

• Love 3