Type keyword(s) to search

Kurt Cobain: Montage Of Heck

• Start Topic

I'm excited for it, even though it looks to have animation and I always hate docs that have animation (what can I say, I'm picky!).  I have a Nirvana t-shirt I got from Target that I end up wearing inside out because I'm embarrassed I bought a Nirvana shirt from a big box store. Kurt would hate me.  I'm much more of an Elliott Smith fan, if all white guy suicidal musicians were in a competition together, but I am pretty fond of the Nirvana Unplugged cd.

First HBO's Sinatra, soon Netflix's Nina Simone doc, and Amy Winehouse's doc premieres at Cannes, us music/documentary lovers certainly are being spoiled lately.

• Love 1

I will watch this, even though I'm getting tired of my alt rock station still depending heavily on Nirvana in their rotation, but I do understand the stamp Kurt left on the state of music.

(edited)

I've seen her say he is just another man who abandoned his family in the worst way possible.  I don't think she really likes the way people idolize him for dying young.  At first I heard Courtney was going to be barely mentioned in the doc, but then later blogs started to say she was involved.  I have a soft spot for Courtney, I think she has a way with words, I always think about her quote "Madonna is trying to passively aggressively destroy me," because I think Madonna might be trying to do that to us all.

Edited to add: OMG, the animations were way worse than I expected, and the other interludes as well.  I'd rather hear Courtney rant.  I was really disappointed in it.  I guess they assumed the audience would be stoned, but unfortunately I wasn't, just constantly tempted to fast forward.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 2

Jesus, that was pretentious and boring and not insightful at all. I also regret not watching this On Demand where fast forward was an option.

What was with the abrupt end? Did they run out of material between the time Kurt OD'd in Rome and his suicide in Seattle? Meh. Doesn't matter -- would have only have made this mess longer.

Courtney's plastic surgeon is a genius. She looks incredible.

Right?! It got all this critical acclaim after its premiere at Sundance and I was quite looking forward to it and then...that.

Should have called it Montage of Dreck.

I kept waiting for it to improve. It looked like it was made by a college film student. You'd think with all the access they had, they would have made a much better documentary.

• Love 3

I heard an interview with Morgan about this (maybe it was on NPR?) about why Dave Grohl wasn't interviewed. He said because it isn't a documentary about the history of Nirvana. There was more to his answer but that was the gist of it.

I guess they thought the home movies were compelling enough to make an entire documentary about it, but they should have just put them up on youtube.  Besides Courtney worrying she was the most hated woman in America, and Kurt pointing out there is still Roseanne, I didn't think they added much.  And Kurt better looking than Brad Pitt?  He definitely was stunning during the Unplugged recording, but some of those shots of him shirtless with scabs were pretty scary.  I would have liked more post death as well, especially the conflicted feelings Courtney and Frances must have towards him and the way the culture glamorizes his dying young.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the documentary; as someone who's never been a huge fan of Kurt Cobain (although I own and love the "Unplugged" album, I never got all the hype around him) I felt like I gained a deeper understanding of both his immense talent and his inner demons. The footage of him high off his ass and nodding out while holding his baby was haunting and disturbing, and the animations of his journal entries were fascinating if a little heavy-handed at times. The one big impression I got from the documentary was that his fame and talent probably hastened his death rather than delaying it. It's clear he was deeply hurt by the negative media attention his family received, and I think the people around him might've taken his crisis more seriously and staged an intervention if he wasn't attached to such a huge gravy train. How can you look at a person emaciated, distressed and covered in sores and think "hey let's let him keep going like this, what could go wrong?" It seemed like the heroin, the depression and the self-loathing became part of his aura as a rock star rather than the huge red flags they'd be for an ordinary person.

• Love 1

I've always been a fan of Nirvana, so I was looking forward to this. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit...long, I wanna say? There were some interesting moments. The home video of him romping around while Frances giggle-shrieked at him in her baby swing was flat-out adorable and touching, but there wasn't a lot of stuff that I didn't know from reading biographies about him. Most of the rest of those home videos, even when he and Courtney were just hanging out, were kind of awkward...and not just because of the gratuitous boobage. I've always felt like Kurt and Courtney were good people at heart, who genuinely loved each other, but were raging hot messes that probably shouldn't have gotten together. (Sorry, Frances. I'm sure you're awesome.)

I was a freshman in high school when Kurt died, and way into Nirvana, but fortunately, despite my impressionable, young age, I never deified him. I do find him interesting though. I've always been mainly a fan of the music, and it did make me want to watch/listen to Nirvana's MTV Unplugged again, which is always a good thing.

• Love 3

Nicely done. Good enough for me. Also, I'm glad the film pointed out the obvious: The guy was a raging junkie (whatever the reason). And heroin makes everything worse always and forever. It seems like a hilarious disavowal to vilify his wife as this criminal mastermind who staged his suicide. Lots of addicts kill themselves.

I must be getting old because I felt mostly for Frances.

Also, good job with the Kurt and Court home movies. They were kids! Very bright, funny and, I think, well-meaning.

And! Finally, a look at Kurt as a guy with ambition and deliberation - not this bullshit punk accident, an ascetic ideal he obvly felt guilty for not being.

That shot of their kissing - We must be very bright and glossy these days because the acne-lips combo was glorious

(edited)

I watched this a few times and while I enjoyed certain parts, I loathed Courtney's involvement. She disgusts me on so many levels and she's just narcissistic enough to think/claim Kurt OD'd because he telepathically "knew" Courtney considered cheating on him. What a bunch of crap. So glad Frances was smart enough to get emancipated from that train wreck.

The home videos featured in the film were made by Courtney's ex-boyfriend. Creepy. Yes, he was bass player in her band Hole but still...

I have a theory about the Dave Grohl interviews not being included in the film. He was indeed interviewed but suppossedly too late for the director to "rework" what he had. Dave Grohl has never been a fan of Courtney. He's openly talked about Kurt's wishes for a divorce on several occasions. My guess is that his interview didn't quite fit the agenda of the director.

Abrubt ending? That came as no surprise to me.

I was very young when Kurt died and took to his music much, much later. I've read a lot about him but never realized how talented he was artistically (drawing). He also did a great impression of Bob Dylan.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 1

I was sort of mesmerized by this. It wasn't a straightforward biography, more like the difference between a portrait by Vermeer and a Jackson Pollack painting. Courtney completely skeeved me out, perhaps more because she totally reminds me of one of my extended family members, right down to the way she speaks.

• Love 1
(edited)
I have a theory about the Dave Grohl interviews not being included in the film. He was indeed interviewed but suppossedly too late for the director to "rework" what he had. Dave Grohl has never been a fan of Courtney. He's openly talked about Kurt's wishes for a divorce on several occasions. My guess is that his interview didn't quite fit the agenda of the director.

Also, Grohl's fame has grown since Nirvana.  Cobain WAS Nirvana. Novaselic and Grohl were in the back ground. Now, Grohl's fame and likability is sky high. Perhaps they didn't want him to overshadow Cobain? They wanted Kurt to be the only "star" in this piece? Courtney's fame has been up and down. She peaked with the Larry Flynt movie, but lately, the only thing I've seen her on was the final season of Sons of Anarchy. Grohl's star has continued to rise. And his opinions are respected on just about anything music related (basically because he's hilarious and snarky as fuck). 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

Dave Grohl indeed, is very entertaining. And he's had a lot of screen time on HBO this year with his own docuseries. He even discussed Nirvana and Kurt's passing, so maybe HBO didn't need this info twice.

Also, Grohl's fame has grown since Nirvana. Cobain WAS Nirvana. Novaselic and Grohl were in the back ground. Now, Grohl's fame and likability is sky high. Perhaps they didn't want him to overshadow Cobain? They wanted Kurt to be the only "star" in this piece? Courtney's fame has been up and down. She peaked with the Larry Flynt movie, but lately, the only thing I've seen her on was the final season of Sons of Anarchy. Grohl's star has continued to rise. And his opinions are respected on just about anything music related (basically because he's hilarious and snarky as fuck).

Yes, I'm familiar with Grohl and how respected he is in the music industry. He is fun and snarky and will forever remain my favorite guest judge on Top Chef. That has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

Oh well, whatever, nevermind? ;)

(edited)

Jesus, that was pretentious and boring and not insightful at all.

Thank God someone said it.  I find Kurt Cobain to be tiresome and ridiculous.  Why so many people consider him the voice of a generation is a mystery to me.  He didn't do anything a thousand other bands weren't doing (and are still doing) at the time.  Why don't people consider Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder to be on the same level?  Soundgarden?  Smashing Pumpkins?  Alice in Chains?  All doing the same type of things Cobain was doing.  Can't help but think the only reason Cobain gets so much attention is because the idiot killed himself.  

I don't find him any more talented or musically inclined then anyone else.   He turned into a huge pretentious baby.  What exactly did he go through in life that was SO traumatic?  His parents divorced?  That's it?  Gimme a break.....

I remember when he died.  It didn't shock me.  But I certainly wasn't expecting the deification of him afterwards (this documentary just served to perpetuate that notion).  He was a non-entity to me.  To this day the only song I can stand by them is Heart Shaped Box.  

Dave Grohl was and is 1000 times more entertaining and talented then Kurt Cobain ever was.  

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 5

Why so many people consider him the voice of a generation is a mystery to me.  He didn't do anything a thousand other bands weren't doing (and are still doing) at the time.  Can't help but think the only reason Cobain gets so much attention is because the idiot killed himself. I don't find him any more talented or musically inclined then anyone else.   He turned into a huge pretentious baby.  What exactly did he go through in life that was SO traumatic?  His parents divorced?  That's it?  Gimme a break.....

Same. I'm a few years younger than Kurt. I liked, but didn't love, Nirvana. This documentary wasn't overly compelling to me.

I'm older now, so my main impression was how immature he was, and not the font of wisdom we took him to be back then. But then again, we all think we're brilliant in our 20s, LOL. And it made me wonder if he'd lived, if he'd be a total has-been today. Who knows ...

• Love 1
Why so many people consider him the voice of a generation is a mystery to me.  He didn't do anything a thousand other bands weren't doing (and are still doing) at the time.  Can't help but think the only reason Cobain gets so much attention is because the idiot killed himself. I don't find him any more talented or musically inclined then anyone else.   He turned into a huge pretentious baby.  What exactly did he go through in life that was SO traumatic?  His parents divorced?  That's it?  Gimme a break.....

I think part of it was because Nirvana was, or seemed to be, the first band out of Seattle that made it big.  Mother Love Bone I think was just about to be the first, but their lead singer died before the 'big break' came.  I just recall hearing about Nirvana before Soundgarden, Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains, and as first, they did get the bulk of the attention.  Maybe Kurt also agreed to more interviews, as I don't recall seeing/hearing as many by Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder or Layne Staley.  I agree that while Nirvana's/Kurt's songs were good, so were the songs written by the other bands.

I think the family trauma wasn't just his parents getting a divorce, it was the rejection he felt by both parents, probably his dad in particular.

I certainly see where the writing was clearly on the wall about Kurt's suicide.  Its a shame that no one realized this beforehand.  I don't quite get why K&C filmed themselves alone.  When Frances was born, sure, you want to document the child, but just them being high?  Don't get it.

Also agree that the documentary seems lacking by not having at least one interview with Dave Grohl.

Adding, just watched Foo Fighters: Back and Forth, which is a rockumentary about the Foo Fighters, but it starts with Nirvana and contains the interviews of Dave Grohl and Pat Smear about Kurt.

I think part of it was because Nirvana was, or seemed to be, the first band out of Seattle that made it big.  Mother Love Bone I think was just about to be the first, but their lead singer died before the 'big break' came.  I just recall hearing about Nirvana before Soundgarden, Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains, and as first, they did get the bulk of the attention.

I was in high school when those bands first came out, and was in college when Kurt died. I followed it all very closely and was a big fan. I was a fan of all the bands mentioned above, but think the reason Nirvana was a bigger deal (and remains more influential to this day) is because their sound (on "Nevermind") was more accessible than the others, letting them cross over into the mainstream. Soundgarden was always pretty heavy & abrasive. They, and Alice in Chains, were more anchored in the heavy metal genre. Nirvana weren't heavy metal at all - they had a real 'poppy' sound on that album, along with some grunge-y guitars.  The catchy melodies were what set them apart from the other bands and what made them the breakout stars at that time. It made them a better sell on MTV, like with the "In Bloom" video where they mimicked an old 1960s variety show appearance. That wouldn't have worked for Soundgarden or Alice in Chains. People I knew who would've never been into a band like Soundgarden were in love with Nirvana.

They were also more iconic because of their "punk" attitude. Kurt had a highly recognizable persona even before he died. Kurt used to be publicly snarky about the big-ego bands like Guns N' Roses, or mock the whole heavy metal scene by wearing a giant yellow ball gown for an interview on Headbanger's Ball.  He was outwardly rebellious and disdainful of the music industry. Whether that's a good thing or not, it made him stand out more than people like Chris Cornell or Layne Staley who were just singers. When Kurt married Courtney, it was sort of a big deal, even in those pre-social media times when celebrity culture wasn't as huge as it is now. They were two big personalities who came together in a very public way. I remember they were on the cover of Sassy magazine (the cool alterna-teen girl magazine at the time) and I had the picture on my wall. They were like counter-culture icons. Certain people just capture the cultural zeitgeist, and Kurt was it for the early 90s.

As for the film, I liked it well enough, but then I read Buzz Osbourne's comments about how most of it isn't even true, and I see it differently now. It might still be an entertaining work, but apparently it isn't the definitive portrait of Kurt's life that some believe it to be.

• Love 2
(edited)
Mother Love Bone I think was just about to be the first, but their lead singer died before the 'big break' came.

MLB will always and forever be the best of the era to me (or just the best, period), followed closely by Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger and earlier, though...because, yikes, apparently I am "That Guy").

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
On 5/5/2015 at 7:26 PM, Chief Queef said:

I really enjoyed the documentary; as someone who's never been a huge fan of Kurt Cobain (although I own and love the "Unplugged" album, I never got all the hype around him) I felt like I gained a deeper understanding of both his immense talent and his inner demons. The footage of him high off his ass and nodding out while holding his baby was haunting and disturbing, and the animations of his journal entries were fascinating if a little heavy-handed at times. The one big impression I got from the documentary was that his fame and talent probably hastened his death rather than delaying it. It's clear he was deeply hurt by the negative media attention his family received, and I think the people around him might've taken his crisis more seriously and staged an intervention if he wasn't attached to such a huge gravy train. How can you look at a person emaciated, distressed and covered in sores and think "hey let's let him keep going like this, what could go wrong?" It seemed like the heroin, the depression and the self-loathing became part of his aura as a rock star rather than the huge red flags they'd be for an ordinary person.

I’ve never been a fan either and in fact I was young when he rose to acclaim, but still never found him talented. I know...I’ve watched multiple musical geniuses sing his praises and say COBAIN was a musical genius. Lol I’m keeping an open mind. I recently saw Autopsy: The Last Hours and thought it wasn’t bad. Lots of background..some from family members. The childhood looked heartbreaking....not sure I could take more of that. I still want to learn more about him. I’m not sure why. 

• Love 1

Never understood the Cobain worship.   He couldn't sing or play guitar to save his life, and Unplugged In New York is one of the most overrated albums of all time.  To me, it's just another case of "the deader he gets, the greater he was" syndrome (see also: Rhoads, Randy and Abbott, Darrell).

• LOL 1