Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Pretty When You Cry

Okay, I know I am an old fart and WAY out of this show's demographic, but can someone explain to me what was going on in those interstitials with the young women screeching about prom? I mean I know LITERALLY what was happening, but holy shit, that was unpleasant to listen to. Was that supposed to be a good thing?

Edit: CARTER, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edited by bref
  • Love 5

I liked Alex Saxon as Max better in this episode and am reminded he played a far more watchable character on The Fosters.  I don't know if it was less screentime but he seemed closer to actually being a character instead of some lazily conceived result of pandering as he has come across before.  Taylor doesn't bring much chemistry to the game with Ofe, who himself just don't carry much nuance, so I still continue to be stuck in a sort of holding zone.  Unable to engage in Taylor's romantic dilemma, maybe this is on the writers who seem to have been focused more on light manipulation than fleshing out the Taylor, Max or Ofe characters.  However I would rather Taylor look within instead of jumping into a rebound with Ofe.  It is unfair to Ofe and herself. 

I keep reminding myself, Carter is only interested in Crash when she feels hurt.  She is hurt by that encounter with Lori.  So Crash is the bandage - granted a dirty, been laying on the floor bandage.  This plotline though is tiring to a great degree because Crash is almost an inanimate object.  Dull performance and badly written character makes for eye roll inducing.

Okay, lets cut to the chase.  Does the show have any clue that it's most chemistry heavy sequences yet on the show, ones with a palpable, off the chart sexual chemistry were the ones between Carter and Bird tonight?  Either they are setting up something for later in the season or this is the most oblivious show ever.  My guy looks over at me during their last scene together and says now Patrick and Richie from Looking could have used that type of tension.  That made the next cut of Bird running with Max to a hot tub that much more disconcerting. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 1

This show is really starting to wear on me.  The first show was compelling, but now I'm really getting tired of the kids being constantly played.  None of the adults is acting like an adult, and the kids are all trying to be the more mature ones, but lack the skill set to do so, so they end up making poor choices.  I keep watching in the hope that the show will redeem itself, but it just keeps getting more and more screwed up.

• Love 3

FUCK OFF CRASH!

I'm just going to start every episode post with that until his stupid ass is gone... so all of them apparently.  This show is working so hard to redeem him and the promo makes it look more like his reaction to Max is more surprised than in the original season promo.  Go dammit.

I was so pissed the whole episode at Lori.  Such a selfish piece of work.  But that scene with Carter and Lori was really good. Good emotional payoff even if it is ridiculous that a minor who was Lori's kidnap victim twice can 1) see her and 2) hire a reputable psychologist who wouldn't find it problematic that Carter was hiring her or that she intended to be present.

In other news, every story around Bird is  simultaneously hyperbole and underdeveloped.  We get these shallow snapshots of this drama in her life, super rich absentee parents who are now criminals who even abandon their child to deal with the feds and destroy evidence.... and boogie man in her head from the rape story of which were given only a cursory reference to use an excuse for other emotional issues they don't have time to bother with.... yep. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

Is there a single good parent on this show? What is this whole ridiculous Bird story? Why are they making her parents criminals who expect her to help?

Okay, I know I am an old fart and WAY out of this show's demographic, but can someone explain to me what was going on in those interstitials with the young women screeching about prom? I mean I know LITERALLY what was happening, but holy shit, that was unpleasant to listen to. Was that supposed to be a good thing?

I was wondering that myself, I know that was Fifth Harmony, & they were helping one girl ask the other girl to the prom, but I don't really know what else was going on, or why the were there to begin with.

Okay, lets cut to the chase.  Does the show have any clue that it's most chemistry heavy sequences yet on the show, ones with a palpable, off the chart sexual chemistry were the ones between Carter and Bird tonight?  Either they are setting up something for later in the season or this is the most oblivious show ever.  

Or maybe it was because that prom thing between the 2 girls?

• Love 1

Or maybe it was because that prom thing between the 2 girls?

What prom thing?  And, no, I am talking about the sequences between Carter and Bird, particularly that last one.  The ones that had more chemistry than anything else this show has ever had.

Edited: I see you are referring to television commercials.  I avoid commercials. 

Edited by dohe

I really how the recap commented on Grant's hair + then went straight to this:

1974920749.jpg

I straight up LOL'ed for a straight minute over this ^^^^!

And, of course, Carcrash happens.... I think whoever came up with that couple name is kinda genius.... Was it someone on here?

I will probably end up saying more after I actually watch the episode in a few hours....

P.S. In my defense, I only wear rompers every once in awhile.... Not even monthly.... So no, I won't stop wearing them....;-x

Edited by OrientalAmish
  • Love 2

This show is really starting to wear on me.  The first show was compelling, but now I'm really getting tired of the kids being constantly played.  None of the adults is acting like an adult, and the kids are all trying to be the more mature ones, but lack the skill set to do so, so they end up making poor choices.  I keep watching in the hope that the show will redeem itself, but it just keeps getting more and more screwed up.

That is what MTV call "parenting"....;-x

• Love 1

Last night's episode seriously tried my patience with this show, but gawddammit I'm still invested enough in the characters and a couple of the storylines that I'm not going to stop watching it.

Crash and his spit curl can GTFO!

• Love 1

Well thanks to the recap for telling me that "kid who's part of the gang who's name I never know" is "Ofe".

Not that I much CARE about his name. Or him. He's mostly just this bland blank spot I look past whenever he's in frame.

• Love 2

Well thanks to the recap for telling me that "kid who's part of the gang who's name I never know" is "Ofe".

Not that I much CARE about his name. Or him. He's mostly just this bland blank spot I look past whenever he's in frame.

I really hope "Ofe" is just a nickname otherwise then there is something wrong with his parents for giving him that name + spelling it like that...

I really hope "Ofe" is just a nickname otherwise then there is something wrong with his parents for giving him that name + spelling it like that...

Oaf would be better?

Gabe mentioned in the first season that Ofe stands for "One Frickin' Eyebrow" and that Ofe had been called that for so long that people don't even remember his real name.

• Love 1

Gabe mentioned in the first season that Ofe stands for "One Frickin' Eyebrow" and that Ofe had been called that for so long that people don't even remember his real name.

That's how much of a non-entity he is, I guess. I mean seriously, the moment the kid is offscreen I've already forgotten he exists.

Bitch and moan about Crash we might, but as lame as he is at least he's not utterly forgettable.

• Love 1

Oaf would be better?

Is that how you pronounce the name? I thought it was like "Off E".... 

That's how much of a non-entity he is, I guess. I mean seriously, the moment the kid is offscreen I've already forgotten he exists.

Bitch and moan about Crash we might, but as lame as he is at least he's not utterly forgettable.

LOL! He's a non-factor! I was trying to "like" your post, but the forum won't let me now....ugh

We get these shallow snapshots of this drama in her life, super rich absentee parents who are now criminals who even abandon their child to deal with the feds and destroy evidence.... and boogie man in her head from the rape story of which were given only a cursory reference to use an excuse for other emotional issues they don't have time to bother with.... yep. 

I must have missed this.  What rape story??

I must have missed this.  What rape story??

When Bird used a seriously messed up image of Carter in her art piece without Carter's permission and claimed it wasn't about Carter it was about her. Afterwards there was a picture in Bird's sketchbook of a dark, scary figure and while they didn't actually say it was a rape story, that was what it seemed to be based on Carter and Bird's reaction.

I find it hard to believe that the FBI would bust into Bird's home - and for what again? What were doing there? And not have social services take Bird away. Her parents weren't there, she's a minor. There is some kind of something going on there. They wouldn't let her remain alone in the house. I think she's only 17.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

The first season had an interesting little story going, i.e. reintegrating into a birth family, spangled with all kinds of betrayal--but now it's just background noise for web browsing.  The only scene that made me look up was Carter's visit to Lori.

It's kind of pathetic how quickly they're generating one new mystery after another to keep us all enthralled.  Lori's ex-boyfriend, Crash's two grand. . . Bird's parents? 

None of that was nearly as interesting as those shrill prom teenagers were annoying.

• Love 1