Type keyword(s) to search

Juliette Silverton: She's A Vet By Trade

Actionmage

(edited)

Juliette had several moments of awesome this season, but one of the ones I liked the most happened in the season finale.  She's just found/figured out that Nick had sex with somebody in their bed.  Someone who was even wearing Juliette's own negligee.  She's hurt and furious, especially since Nick is being a teasing, cruel asshole about it (or so she thinks).  So she says "If we weren't on our way to the wedding I'd tell you to pull over and let me out." which eventually leads to the (literally) sickening realization of what Adalind has done.

Still, that "If we weren't on our way to the wedding" is awesome.  Juliette is sitting there feeling this rising tide of pain, rage and humiliation.  But even with all that, she's not going to let it ruin Monroe and Rosalee's day.  She's going to grit her teeth, smile through the pain and take Nick's cheating arm for the walk down the ailse and make sure that Rosalee and Monroe have their truly happy day.  Figure almost every other show would have had Nick and Juliette going at each during the wedding, but not here. 

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 7

Juliette had several moments of awesome this season, but one of the ones I liked the most happened in the season finale. 

Still, that "If we weren't on our way to the wedding" is awesome. 

I agree, she really shined. Most women I know would, at best, have left Nick's headless corpse behind & gone to the wedding alone.

• Love 2
Why is expecting or wanting a girlfriend to comfort her sexually violated boyfriend disturbing for you? Not sure I understand.

Not the poster you were responding to, but I agree with them. Personally, I wasn't calling you a misogynist, and I feel relatively sure the OP wasn't either.

As to the above: expecting Juliette, who was violated as surely as Nick was, to automatically comfort Nick is discounting how intimately Juliette was violated. Her DNA was stolen in order for Adalind to transform. Juliette's basic essence was stolen and weaponized to hurt both Nick and Juliette. Whatever relationship chaos the act caused was just gravy to Adalind. She saw both parties as stealing Diana and she wanted to do enormous damage. Mission accomplished. To discount Juliette's violation is insensitive and assy, imo. You don't automatically assume two people violated by the same criminal need to comfort the other. They have issues to deal with individually. Juliette was a champ, in my eyes, because she personally minimized her hurt to try and figure out how to start moving past Adalind. Again. Her focus was on Nick and Teresa, Monroe and Rosalee.

Because he was responsible for the mess.

No. Nick was at the wedding during the shooting. The only person responsible for whatever mess there is at the house is solely down to the FBI agent. The agent shot Renard. The agent shot at Trubel. The agent busted the door and tried to attack Trubel.  The Feds even call this a case of self-defense. Nick has not one jot of responsibility in the house mess. Juliette hasn't blamed Nick for the house at all.

I wish people would stop with the kneejerk labeling of posters as sexist and misogynist whenever a female character is criticized.

I guess I am knee-jerking these comments on the episode?

Spend a season getting Nick his powers back while training Theresa to be a Grimm, then have him meet a woman who was worth his time.  He's going to need a woman who can understand what he's going through and bear his children while training herself to be the protector of a Grimm and his children.  I don't think that Juliette can do that, at least not without a personality transplant (and better writers).

In my experience with women, expecting rational behaviour at times of their extreme stress is hardly the best plan; rather... sit silently and listen and help her work it out.

See  comment above..... And I've learned the hard way citing quid pro quo is sure to end badly for the male....BTDTGTTS

Because the above? Is sexist, minimum. Gender essentialist? Totally.  Insulting and misogynist? Definitely.

My criticisms pertain to the actions of a character, not their gender and trying to make it about gender is disingenuous at best.

Maybe people are actually commenting on actual statements that are misogynistic and not about your opinion? That is just as valid, correct?

As to your opinion of Juliette, we will have to agree to disagree.

• Love 6

Not the poster you were responding to, but I agree with them. Personally, I wasn't calling you a misogynist, and I feel relatively sure the OP wasn't either.

Well then, I would appreciate it if posters were more specific about what exactly they found to be sexist, misogynistic and disturbing.

As to the above: expecting Juliette, who was violated as surely as Nick was, to automatically comfort Nick is discounting how intimately Juliette was violated. Her DNA was stolen in order for Adalind to transform. Juliette's basic essence was stolen and weaponized to hurt both Nick and Juliette. Whatever relationship chaos the act caused was just gravy to Adalind. She saw both parties as stealing Diana and she wanted to do enormous damage. Mission accomplished. To discount Juliette's violation is insensitive and assy, imo. You don't automatically assume two people violated by the same criminal need to comfort the other. They have issues to deal with individually. Juliette was a champ, in my eyes, because she personally minimized her hurt to try and figure out how to start moving past Adalind. Again. Her focus was on Nick and Teresa, Monroe and Rosalee.

Disagree. Does Juliette know how Adalind became Juliette? No. All she knows is that Adalind made herself look like Juliette with a magical spell and slept with her boyfriend.

Look, I don't disagree that Juliette is also affected by what happened. But for a viewer to expect or want her to maybe give her sexually violated boyfriend a little hug, look him in the eye and tell him that it's not his fault is not in any way or form a disturbing notion to me. Doing that for Nick is in no way going to take anything away from Juliette. Nick has apologized to Juliette for being deceived by Adalind. Can't Juliette extend the same courtesy to him and take 30 seconds to tell him that it's not his fault?  Despite Juliette feeling violated, I would expect her to empathize with Nick because she has been in his shoes and knows what it's like. But apparently the very notion of Juliette being more caring and comforting towards Nick is disturbing for some posters.

To find the notion, that some viewers wanted her to be more nice and comforting to a person who just got raped, disturbing, is to me feminism gone wrong. The idea that it's disturbing to expect that from her because her emotional well being comes first despite her lover getting raped and hence she can't spare any concern or comfort for him is radical feminism.

Would it have been justified for Nick to behave like an ass towards Juliette during the whole Renard affair because he was violated  too? He was having nightmares about cases he was working on, was sleeping on the couch, lost his home and had to bunk with his friend, his girlfriend does not remember him. If all violations are equal and being violated allows someone to treat their loved ones harshly, it would have been totally okay for him to treat Juliette coldly and blame her for what Adalind did to her, right? Maybe he should have asked her to sleep on the couch then, because he was feeling so stressed and violated by the whole thing. I can imagine the outrage if the shoe had been on the other foot and he had blamed her and took it out on her.

Secondly, we know what Juliette is angry about because we see that on screen. She point blank tells Nick that this happened because their life is infected by Nick being who he is. At no point in this episode does she then try to disabuse Nick of this notion. Rather the opposite. She looks accusingly at Nick each time she mentions that he slept with her. Nick has to explain what happened to Rosalee and Monroe after she makes it sound like he slept with Adalind willingly.

I find it incomprehensible that Juliette's victim blaming is being justified by her being violated by Adalind's identity theft. To use an analogy to explain my perspective on this, let's take the case of a mixed race couple. Suppose the African-American is getting racially discriminated against and hence is unable to find a good job. This puts a lot of stress and difficulty on his family and wife. Suppose she then blames him for being racially discriminated against and putting so much stress on her and creating problems in her life. Is that right on her part? Suppose a guy's girlfriend got drugged and  raped. She was so woozy she thought the rapist was her boyfriend. Would her boyfriend be justified in blaming her for getting  raped because she was a) a girl and b) fooled using drugs to think that the guy she slept with was her boyfriend?

Which is what Juliette is doing here. She looks Nick in the eye and tells him "You being a Grimm is why all this happened".

And I am seeing the effects of this on Nick. He is ready to give up the very essence of who he is to make their relationship work even though the very notion is unsettling to him. He is wiping off the blood from the floor in the middle of the night because she made him feel like his being a Grimm has infected their life and led to the mess in their house. He offers to sleep on the couch because she made him feel as if he was the one who was guilty. He does not want to ruin Monroe's life because she made him feel as though he is responsible for people's life being a mess.

You are coming at this from the stand point of Juliette being equally violated and hence was justified for taking care of her own emotional well being. I am coming at this from the standpoint of Nick being the more affected of the two on account of his being sexually violated and his very essence being stolen from him and that he does not deserve to be blamed for what Adalind did to him. Both are different interpretations. But to call my opinion disturbing because I feel Juliette's treatment of Nick was wrong and that makes her disagreeable to me makes little sense.

I guess I am knee-jerking these comments on the episode?

Because the above? Is sexist, minimum. Gender essentialist? Totally.  Insulting and misogynist? Definitely.

In which case I guess I can throw around words like misandry to highlight comments like this:

I really adore Juliette for not taking it out on Nick. She understands that it really wasn't Nick's fault.

that undermine the victim blaming of a man who was raped and despite Juliette telling Nick straight out (After he apologizes for what happened with Adalind) : "Our life is being infected by you being who you are" .

Maybe people are actually commenting on actual statements that are misogynistic and not about your opinion? That is just as valid, correct?

Again, maybe it would then help if people point out exactly what they find to be misogynistic instead of making vague comments about the general sexism and misogyny of the thread?

As to your opinion of Juliette, we will have to agree to disagree.

Yes, lets agree to disagree.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1
(edited)
To find the notion, that some viewers wanted her to be more nice and comforting to a person who just got raped, disturbing, is to me feminism gone wrong. The idea that it's disturbing to expect that from her because she is a woman and her emotional well being comes first despite her lover getting raped and hence she can't spare any concern or comfort for him is radical feminism.

To deny that Juliette deserves time to sort through her ish on Adalind's lastest bs is not feminism either. There is no hierarchy of who deserves more comforting. Everyone who is hurt is allowed comforting.

Would it have been justified for Nick to behave like an ass towards Juliette during the whole Renard affair because he was violated  too?

False equivalency.

Quote She point blank tells Nick that this happened because their life is infected by Nick being who he is.

Even if that is the actual line, it is still objective fact that Nick's Grimmness has made major impacts on their lives.

I find it incomprehensible that Juliette's victim blaming is being justified by her being violated by Adalind's identity theft.

I haven't "justified" anything and Juliette is not blaming Nick. She is blaming Adalind.

let's take the case of a mixed race couple.

Let's not.

Suppose a guy's girlfriend got drugged and  raped. She was so woozy she thought the rapist was her boyfriend.

Nick wasn't drugged. Juliette never had sex with Renard.

Which is what Juliette is doing here. She looks Nick in the eye and tells him "You being a Grimm is why all this happened".

Again, she isn't. Also, even if she did, it would be an objective truth about their lives.

He is ready to give up the very essence of who he is to make their relationship work even though the very notion is unsettling to him.

I did not see Nick giving up his want to be re-Grimmed. He was just de-Grimmed. He told Hank that, essentially, he wants to be re-Grimmed in the trailer scene. He is not shown, on-screen, to be giving up the family business.

He does not want to ruin Monroe's life because she made him feel as though he is responsible for people's life being a mess.

Nick, being a grown man and a police detective, cannot think independently and use his own judgment when deciding that he has caused problems in other folks' lives?

You are coming at this from the stand point of Juliette being equally violated and hence was justified for taking care of her own emotional well being.

Again, there is no hierarchy of hurt and I did not "justify" anything. 

I am coming at this from the standpoint of Nick being the more affected of the two on account of his being sexually violated and his very essence being stolen from him and that he does not deserve to be blamed for what Adalind did to him. Both are different interpretations. But to call my opinion disturbing because I feel Juliette's treatment of Nick was wrong and that makes her disagreeable to me makes no sense to me.

(emphasis mine)

The interpretation disturbs me in that there is a hierarchy for you in who is more hurt/violated.  Nick's Grimmness was taken, not his Nickness. It is criminal, yes, but then again, so is Juliette's hurt/violation. Again, I do not see Juliette blaming Nick for Adalind's actions.

QuoteIn which case I guess I can throw around words like misandry to highlight comments

Misandry has nothing to do with the quotes you highlighted. I honestly don't think that was the line, but even if it was, it is still objectively true. It is not victim blaming. It is frustration.

Again, maybe it would then help if people point out exactly what they find to be misogynistic instead of making vague comments about the general sexism of the thread?

I think my examples were pretty straightforward.

I am excited to see Episode 2!

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2

To deny that Juliette deserves time to sort through her ish on Adalind's lastest bs is not feminism either. There is no hierarchy of who deserves more comforting. Everyone who is hurt is allowed comforting.

And who is stating that Juliette does not deserve the time to sort out her own issues? Has anyone here said that Juliette should not take time out to take care of her own issues? That's a straw-man argument.

I am saying that I want and expect Juliette to tell Nick that he is not responsible for what happened and show him with either actions and/or words that she does not blame him for what Adalind did to him. I am saying that it would have been nice for her to comfort him. I am saying that me wanting her to comfort him after he is bloody raped is not a sexist, misogynistic or a disturbing idea.

False equivalency!

Could you explain why it's false equivalency?

Even if that is the actual line, it is still objective fact that Nick's Grimmness has made major impacts on their lives.

So to be clear here, you are saying that she is right to blame him for what happened? But she did know that he was Grimm for a whole year, knew that it had affected her and him and their lives earlier, went along with it and everything. Every time something happens because he is a Grimm, it's okay to turn around and blame him because his Grimmness impacts their life? Is that not damaging to his psyche and mentally abusive to boot?  In which case why are they together? Which is my point when I say that they should break up and that it's not a healthy relationship.

I haven't "justified" anything and Juliette is not blaming Nick. She is blaming Adalind.

Nick: "This is so screwed up. I would never have..."

Juliette: " It''s just this whole life of ours, the way it's being infected by you being what you are, you know? I don't know if I can take it anymore."

That is blaming what Adalind did to him on what he is. You can try to gloss over it for whatever reason, but I am seeing it as her explicitly laying the blame of what happened at his feet.

Let's not

Let's.

Nick wasn't drugged. Juliette never had sex with Renard.

Analogy still stands. He was fooled into thinking that Adalind was Juliette. Nick actually sees Juliette making out with Renard. And all hurt/violations are the same to you right? There's no hierarchy for that according to you. So Renard kissing Juliette must have made Nick feel as violated/hurt as Juliette did at that point and as violated/hurt as Juliette felt after Nick slept with Adalind.

Again, she isn't. Also, even if she did, it would be an objective truth about their lives.

Again, she did:

Juliette: " Our life is being infected by you being who you are"

And if that's the objective truth about their life, then she should get out of it. If a wife finds that the racial discrimination of her husband makes it too hard and stressful for her, she should get a divorce instead of blaming her husband for being discriminated against. Nick can't change who he is as much as someone can't change their skin color, gender or sexuality.  Expecting him to change who he is to make her life more comfortable is abusive. It's obvious she wants a normal boyfriend. It's obvious he can't change who he is. The solution is for him to be single and for her to leave him. But apparently suggesting that is also wrong and he should stay on with someone who is justified in complaining about how their life sucks because of who he is.

I did not see Nick giving up his want to be re-Grimmed. He was just de-Grimmed. He told Hank that, essentially, he wants to be re-Grimmed in the trailer scene. He is not shown, on-screen, to be giving up the family business.

Precisely. He tells Hank that he wants to be re-Grimmed. But what does he tell Juliette? " Maybe it's a good thing for our relationship". Why can't he tell Juliette what he tells Hank?

Nick, being a grown man and a police detective, cannot think independently and use his own judgment when deciding that he has caused problems in other folks' lives?

You are saying that Juliette blaming everything on Nick being a Grimm had no effect at all on Nick's demeanor and behavior? That there is no way his behavior was influenced by what she said to him and how she reacted? That because he's a 'grown man' he cannot be traumatized by what happened and that there is no way that he could be demoralized by the love of his life telling him that it's his fault?

Edited by anamika
  • Love 2
Again, there is no hierarchy of hurt and I did not "justify" anything. 

That's your opinion. I think a person who was sexually violated would be more traumatized than the person's significant other. Especially when the significant other then blames the victim for what happened to him or her. 

The interpretation disturbs me in that there is a hierarchy for you in who is more hurt/violated.  Nick's Grimmness was taken, not his Nickness. It is criminal, yes, but then again, so is Juliette's hurt/violation. Again, I do not see Juliette blaming Nick for Adalind's actions.

Here we go again with people getting 'disturbed' by the fact that there are different degrees of violation, hurt and trauma. Nick's Grimmness is his Nickness. I don't see how you can separate the two. As he himself says in season 3, it's in his genes. It's as much a part of him as all his other characteristics. It defines who he is. It defines how others see him. And yes, I do see a hierarchy of who is more hurt/violated. People get different prison sentences for different crimes. With rape, there's different degrees. To equate every hurt and violation as being the same makes no sense at all to me.

And even if they were hurt and violated the same way, the main difference here is that Juliette is adding to Nick's violation and hurt by blaming what happened to him on what he is. He does not do the same to her. Rather, he apologizes to her and is willing to take that blame and sleep on the couch. I see one character's actions as being  more egregious than the other.

As for Juliette not blaming Nick:

Juliette: " Our life is being infected by you being who you are"

Misandry has nothing to do with the quotes you highlighted. I honestly don't think that was the line, but even if it was, it is still objectively true. It is not victim blaming. It is frustration.

I could say that misandry has everything to do with undermining the victim blaming of a man who was sexually violated. It's common enough in TV shows where both the writers and the audience don't see the rape/sexual violence/domestic and mental abuse of male characters to be as bad as when it happens to women. A woman can punch her boyfriend in the face and the fans will still ship them as a romantic couple but if the man punched his girlfriend, then it's over.

I see the same here where  Juliette is blaming Nick for what happened. Is it the objective truth? Sure. But is it right to blame him for that? A raped B because B was a girl. Is that the objective truth? Yes. But is it right to blame her for that?

To then praise Juliette for being adorable and supportive of Nick after she makes him feel responsible for what happened the whole episode, has misandrist tones. But that would probably be hyperbole and subjective. Which is why I tend to stay away from calling out posts as being disturbing, misogynistic or misandrist. It's better to just agree to disagree.

think my examples were pretty straightforward.

And as you made clear in your previous post

Not the poster you were responding to

you were not the poster I was responding to.

I am excited for episode 2 as well!

Edited by anamika

Folks, let's remember the number one rule here at PTV, found in The Social Contract;

[The] golden rule for forums is to pretend you are at someone else's party. Different opinions are welcomed and debate is encouraged but if you can't converse without name calling or flaming then you'll get The Size Nines out the door.

Every one here is entitled to his or her own opinion; and we all need to respect that others may not agree with us. Posts need to be civil, and repeated back and forths (with nothing new added to the conversation) will not be tolerated.

If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.

• Love 1

Well to cut Juliette some slack, she suddenly went from a normal relationship in a normal world a couple of years ago to a relationship with a Grimm in a world full of wacky creatures.  Setting that aside, though, there always has been this vibe between the two of them where she clearly controls the relationship and constantly has him in chase mode.  For awhile the theme was him wanting to marry her and she putting him off.  Her keeping him at arm's length after she got her memory back.  Then her reaction to the Adalind thing.  I thought she would think something was amiss right away when it looked like Nick had willfully cheated on her, she knew Nick well enough to know that he would never do something like that (and in their own home, and on a big day...it made no sense whatsoever) and then have the nerve to boast about it.  At least in this last episode it looks like she is going to be more firmly in his camp and support him this season instead of being the controlling girlfriend.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

I don't mind Juliette, and I certainly don't think she was in the wrong in the premiere for how she reacted with the events that happened that day. I think that Juliette is perfectly in her rights to not be as affectionate with Nick during that time, but I also appreciate that she didn't push him away. In fact, she was handling it better than most TV women would. Juliette never blamed Nick for his 'infidelity' because she knows how Adalind is. She was a victim of Adalind too so she knows how she can be. Besides asking Nick once if he really didn't recognize it wasn't Juliette (and she didn't accuse him or anything; she was just asking a simple question, as she wasn't there to see Adalind as herself). She took Nick up to their bed, even knowing what happened last time Nick was in that bed, and she helped Nick clean up the bed. Nick is the one who reacted with 'not being a Grimm could be a good thing'. After everything that has happened with the both of them, I would be surprised if Juliette wasn't reluctant for Nick to become a Grimm again. She supports Nick still, just as she always has, but she's absolutely allowed to express doubts about him being a Grimm. Is that the best way to react? Probably not. It's an ugly thought, to deny someone their heritage of course, but Juliette is seeing things when they used to be less crazy, when Nick wasn't a Grimm. He's only been a Grimm for three/four years now, and Juliette's been fairly supportive. It may not be how we want her to react, but it's a human reaction to step back and say 'hey, my boyfriend has a chance to be normal and not be surrounded by Wesen trying to kill him and me. Maybe we should think about this'. 

Spend a season getting Nick his powers back while training Theresa to be a Grimm, then have him meet a woman who was worth his time.  He's going to need a woman who can understand what he's going through and bear his children while training herself to be the protector of a Grimm and his children.

I'm only going to address this once, but I do see this particular quote as misogynistic. I personally see it as such because it's implying that Nick's girlfriend/wife must only be there to take care of the children and stay out of the way while he protects them. Why not him having a woman who is his equal, who supports him and is there for him yet can still hold her own? And Juliette still loves Nick; it's not like she's going to break up with him if he becomes a Grimm again. Like Nick is, she's expressing some doubts about him being a Grimm and both will be seeing how different things are with Nick 'going back to his old self'. I think Juliette is under the impression that he'll be the same Nick she fell in love with, but she'll come to realize that being a Grimm is a part of him now, and always will be, so I do think she'll change her mind eventually. 

• Love 6

For my part, I think Juliette is seeing this "depowering" as a chance jump off the carosel that is being a Grimm.  She's seeing a chance for Nick to train Trubel, give her the books and weapons and Keys, then move back to having a more normal life.  That said, the root of Juliette's anger about this situation is not Nick being a Grimm.  Through the third season, she's pretty much fine with it.  If anything their relationship is stronger than ever since the secret between them is out.  Plus, Juliette is fully friends with Monroe and especially Rosalee and even helps Nick out with occasional insights into his cases during autopsy photo dinner parties.  Life was good.

It went sour when Nick's mother dropped Adalind into their home without permission.  Then, Nick brought a troubled Trubel to live with them, again without consulting Juliette.  Finally, Adalind did what she did and the violence happened at their home.  What's really troubling Juliette isn't Nick's activities as a Grimm, it's that those activities are following him into their home without Juliettes' input.  Juliette wants to be consulted on decision that also affect her, which is not an unreasonable position.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

On reflection/rewatching, I see Juliette's move above as a cry for help to them. She's having a really hard time coping with all the shit unloaded on her in the last few months, and does not know where to turn.

I think pretty much all the characters have had a hard time because of who Nick is. I mean Nick had to wake up one morning and live with the fact that he is a stranger to his girlfriend of 3 years. Said girlfriend then prefers to trust Adalind over him and makes out with his boss behind his back. He had to leave his home, lost his aunt, his mom came back from the dead, had worms in his eyes, became a zombie etc. Hank got raped by Adalind, nearly died and got assaulted by Adalind's men because he was Nick's partner. Monroe has nearly gotten killed and been beaten up, his marriage was disrupted and he missed out on the honeymoon because he's Nick's friend. Nick got beaten up by an ogre because he was Hank's partner.

There was the one time, Monroe blamed Nick for the mess when his parents came. The next day they apologized to each other and made up. And I find it ironical that Juliette consoled Nick by telling him that if Monroe had a problem helping him he would have stopped a long time ago. Maybe she should take her own advice. If she had a problem with Nick being a Grimm she could have left at the end of season 2 after she was poisoned, put in a coma and had a magical, potion induced affair and was feeling as miserable as Nick is feeling now.

And I think Juliette is more than capable of handling stuff. I mean she is an ace shooter, knows everything there is to know about SCIENCE because she's a vet, is the only person in Portland who can speak both Spanish and English, can punch out wesen with her stick like arms and can look things up on google ! She should be able to handle wesen related incidents. If not, she should get out and get out fast before we have to sit through any more melodrama

• Love 1

It;s not her house.   She specifically said in the season premiere that it is "our house."   Hers and Nick's together.   I know when she had amnesia, there was a whole discussion about who owned the house.   But it was never specifically mentioned on the show.    Well now it has been.   THere is no reason she said that just becuase she and Nick live there together.   She said "ours" it is both their houses.   Which means Nick has the right to bring someone there if he wants.   

• Love 1

I think pretty much all the characters have had a hard time because of who Nick is. I mean Nick had to wake up one morning and live with the fact that he is a stranger to his girlfriend of 3 years. Said girlfriend then prefers to trust Adalind over him and makes out with his boss behind his back. He had to leave his home, lost his aunt, his mom came back from the dead, had worms in his eyes, became a zombie etc. Hank got raped by Adalind, nearly died and got assaulted by Adalind's men because he was Nick's partner. Monroe has nearly gotten killed and been beaten up, his marriage was disrupted and he missed out on the honeymoon because he's Nick's friend. Nick got beaten up by an ogre because he was Hank's partner.

There was the one time, Monroe blamed Nick for the mess when his parents came. The next day they apologized to each other and made up. And I find it ironical that Juliette consoled Nick by telling him that if Monroe had a problem helping him he would have stopped a long time ago. Maybe she should take her own advice. If she had a problem with Nick being a Grimm she could have left at the end of season 2 after she was poisoned, put in a coma and had a magical, potion induced affair and was feeling as miserable as Nick is feeling now.

And I think Juliette is more than capable of handling stuff. I mean she is an ace shooter, knows everything there is to know about SCIENCE because she's a vet, is the only person in Portland who can speak both Spanish and English, can punch out wesen with her stick like arms and can look things up on google ! She should be able to handle wesen related incidents. If not, she should get out and get out fast before we have to sit through any more melodrama

Just because she can handle something doesn't mean she wants to do it.  I can change my name and move to another state, but I don't really want to do that.  Right now, Juliette sees a change for her and Nick to step off the Grimm crazy train.  It's understandable that she'd be hesitant about throwing that chance away.

It;s not her house.   She specifically said in the season premiere that it is "our house."   Hers and Nick's together.   I know when she had amnesia, there was a whole discussion about who owned the house.   But it was never specifically mentioned on the show.    Well now it has been.   THere is no reason she said that just becuase she and Nick live there together.   She said "ours" it is both their houses.   Which means Nick has the right to bring someone there if he wants.   

If we're living together in a co-owned place and you come home to me saying "Oh, this is Stevie.  He's a 6'6" 375# former pit bull rapist who allegedly eats babies.  He's going to be staying with us indefinitely." are you going to be okay with just because we're co-owners?  I'm guessing no.  Whatever the legal arrangements, when you're living with another person, you need to consider that person's feelings and opinions when you do something that affects them (like bringing in a new person to live with you both).

• Love 1

It;s not her house.   She specifically said in the season premiere that it is "our house."   Hers and Nick's together.  

A point that is independent of her, him, Grimm, Portland, etc:

It's always "their" house unless/until she says "It's MY house..."  and kicks him to the curb.

[Then he calls a friend like me and says "Can you help me move out?" BTDTGTaching_back]

If he legally is the half-owner, that's one thing; but didn't we find some mention early on that she bought the house pre-Nick?

Just because she can handle something doesn't mean she wants to do it.  I can change my name and move to another state, but I don't really want to do that.  Right now, Juliette sees a change for her and Nick to step off the Grimm crazy train.  It's understandable that she'd be hesitant about throwing that chance away.

That's true. Juliette is totally justified in saying 'I have had enough' (I hope she follows through and leaves). I don't have to like her for it. I rather like characters like Hank, Monroe and Rosalee who have also had their lives turned upside down by Nick being a Grimm and still decide to help and stick with him out of loyalty and friendship.

What makes Juliette's actions more egregious though is her blaming Nick for what Adalind did. As Hank points out, it's not Nick's fault. Juliette did help with the baby kidnapping business which is what led Adalind to do what she did. And she then makes it worse by going behind his back and asking his friends to delay helping him. Without asking or consulting Nick about something that's very important to him. She is not entitled to make another person's decisions for them.

If he legally is the half-owner, that's one thing; but didn't we find some mention early on that she bought the house pre-Nick?

No, they moved into the place together. The flashback showed them both moving their things in.  It's owned by both of them. It's their house, not just hers.

Grimm shares creators with Angel.  By this point in their fourth season most of the cast had some degree of supernatural power and yet the show was still called Angel and still centured around the vampire, Angel.  This development isn't about some cast member being an exceptional ice crystal or special snowflake or whatever fanslang you wish to use.  It's about the story space that just opened up.

Juliette just got a power upgrade.  Can she learn to control that power?  If so, how will she choose to use it?  Even a "nice" hexenbeist like Elizabeth is ruthlessly determined to pursue her goals regardless of the cost.  How will this situation affect Juliette's relationship with those around her?  Can she de-Grimm Nick by having sex with him?  If so, that will certainly affect their relationship.  What about Hank?  He's accepting of Monroe and Rosalee, but he has bad memories, to say the last, of the last hexenbeist he encountered.  What about Monroe and especially Rosalee?  If Rosalee going to be as quick to accept hugs from Juliette knowing the horrific things that exists inside her now?

What about the wider Wesen community?  There seems to be some degree of acceptence of Nick right now.  If Juliette is revealed to be a hexenbeist, that could easily change.  They might come to believe that Nick is somehow her puppet and that she has some sinister plan for them all.  What about Renard?  As a Zauerbeist, he would be a logical mentor for her,. but could that grow into something more?  If not, could that possibility trigger jealousy in Nick and lead to a rupture in his relations with the captain?

Turning Juliette into a hexenbeist is clear not a matter of designating a cast member to be an unusual piece of solidified water.  This is something that has huge implications for the whole show.

But I am not watching this show to see effect Juliette experimenting with her powers has on everything.   I watch this show to see what Nick learns about being a Grimm.   What effect the Grimm has on the world at large, not what his newly hexened girlfriend does.   They should have kept her the strongly supportive not wife.

• Love 2

Personally, I'm not convinced Juliette is a hexenbiest. If she is, I am down with johntfs' "How does Juliette deal with her new reality?" storyline.  I think we've been given too little to say with certainty that our gal is now wesen. I just have no faith that these writers will go there when they enjoy torturing Adalind. It's like there can be only one type of wesen at a time, unless the story specifically calls for more.

I do not trust the writers to give us a Good magic-using ally to counter Adalind and her naughty intentions. I would appreciate someone with magic on the Heroes' side, but right now, going into the break? I'm not getting "Congratulations, Juliette's a Hexenbiest!" cards and balloons ready. 

Is it another mind...twist? Probably, because these PTB lurve them some twisty mind-gotcha!s.  I think that Juliette may be linked to Adalind, similar to Nick, but possibly different due to Juliette being a) female and b) not a Grimm.  We haven't seen Adalind react like she did with Nick, so it may be a different connection to Adalind. Which would delight TPTB because they are messing with Adalind and Juliette still cannot get the witch out of her life.  Maybe we'll see Adalind have a reaction after the break. Maybe Juliette, through this connection--if she is not a hexenbiest-- can glean info on Adalind/Viktor and the nuttiness of BabyHunt 2014-15?  Nick could give Kelly a heads up now and again? Unless/until Adalind realizes that she's the spyglass and then starts effing with the Portland gang.

I would like to see her trio of concerned girlfriends again, just to get a feel for how Juliette seems to folks who've known her for a while. And if they blame Nick! *g*

I'm pretty sure Juliette is a real live wessen biest and not just hallucinating as the exploding lightbulb seemed to indicate some raw power.  This is probably the most interesting thing that has ever happened to her. On the other hand, if she does end up attacking Rosalee, I wouldn't mind if Monroe killed Juliette. Because that would be the second most interesting thing that ever happened to her.

• Love 3

I'd think that "boyfriend becoming a Grimm" was at least up there in the "interesting" catagory.

For my part I wouldn't mind if Monroe exited the show.  As other characters have been added or brought into the Grimm circle, Monroe's relevance to the overall storyline has greatly decreased.  At this point he's more an appendage to Rosalee than a character in his own right.

• Love 2

So glad Juliette was allowed to help without comment. Since the badges were ditched, except for Wu due to him still being in uniform, it wasn't a police thing, as such.

As I stated in the episode thread for "Tribunal", I hate that the writers had Juliette confide in Renard before Nick.  If the writers truly sent Nick and Hank to be akin to Secret Service agents in order for Juliette to speak to Renard before Nick? I might have to be done.

There is making wrong-headed decisions in-character because they don't know everything we, the audience, does. But to have the writers ensure that inanity is in play so the characters have to do something that furthers the plot inorganically? That's bad writing, and there's been enough of that for three and a half seasons.

Making it so that Juliette can only "reasonably" speak to Sean about her hexening because a) her boyfriend is on their best friends' honeymoon(?!?/11!?),, b) the others in their circle don't understand hexenbiests, and c) Renard's mom performed the spell that had as a side effect, Juliette's hexening. I bought why it didn't come up during the Monroe ordeal. It made sense. But that the show seemed to say that Monrosalee left the next day (after the tribunal) and there was no time for Juliette to talk to Nick about what happened to her, via the re-Grimming spell. And? I'm supposed to just hand the plastic over and by it at super marked-up retail? No.

Much like her last nightmare, I hope the preview just spoiled the majority of another nightmare and that it is because she hears about the ancient enmity between Grimms and Hexen/Zaurbiestes. 

Otherwise? I have to stop while I still love the majority of these characters.

• Love 2

As I stated in the episode thread for "Tribunal", I hate that the writers had Juliette confide in Renard before Nick.  If the writers truly sent Nick and Hank to be akin to Secret Service agents in order for Juliette to speak to Renard before Nick? I might have to be done.

I hate it, too.  I posted earlier that she should have mentioned it on the phone to Nick right away, so he could notify Renard to get rolling with a solution from his mother.  Even with Monroe being the priority, Nick can walk and chew gum at the same time and needed to know right away.  It's not just her own problem, she is a danger to Nick and also, you do confide in your fiance/darling person when there is a serious problem. 

But I don't think Nick and Hank will actually go on the trip, they were in the airport escort only.  I hope.  I also disliked the super melodramatic entrance Juliette made at Renard's. 

• Love 2

Juliette's decided she just doesn't want to tell Nick right this second.  For one thing (as far as she knows) there's nothing he can actually do about it, so he'll be worried and distracted.  For another thing, Nick is likely to blame himself for pressuring Juliette into doing the ritual to give him his Grimm abilities back, which is the likely cause of her going hexenbiest.  Juliette's going to Renard clearly hoping he'll have something to "debiest" her before Nick gets back and she'll have to tell him for sure.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

It doesn't bother me that Juliette hasn't told Nick yet.  I compare it to news that she's pregnant.  If she had learned she was pregnant rather than turning into a hexenbiest, at no time during the kidnapped Monroe ordeal would it have been appropriate for her to tell Nick or anyone else.  And some women are so freaked out when they find out they're pregnant, they tell their best friend first.  Of course, Renard isn't her best friend, but her best friend is on her honeymoon, and whatever other friends she has aren't Wesen, besides her college roommate.  And at least Renard can offer her some insight.  Plus, I would imagine if you're not the type of person who would want to tell your partner first, you probably definitely wouldn't want to tell him first if a) you aren't sure you want to "keep it," and b) if you think he'll be mad.

Now that I think about it, Juliette's hexenbiesting is like being pregnant.  After all, she did think she was pregnant at first.  It's like she's gestating her own hexenbiestness.

• Love 4

Wow. If we're comparing it to being pregnant, then like two seconds after the whole thing was over, she would have shared that news. And no, Renard isn't even close to being her best friend. And she continues not to tell him next week, well after the danger is out of the way. To the point where it's going to possibly endanger her life. 

First of all, she nearly told Nick right away. Second, if I were pregnant, and I told my SO that I told his boss first, because he had a relative who was a doctor and could maybe help me. and I continued to live with him and not tell him about the pregnancy, I would assume he'd be pretty freaking furious if a week or two down the line, I said, "Oh, by the way, I'm pregnant. Went and told your boss, because he had a relative who could help me with it. Didn't want to worry you, dude." I can't imagine the kind of reaction he'd have. 

She'd have shared the pregnancy news if she wanted to keep the baby, but I don't think Juliette wants to keep this particular "baby."

Plus, pregnancy is a flawed metaphor for this situation.  Pregnancy is a temporary condition whose result can be put up for adoption.  This isn't "Honey, I'm pregnant!"  This is more "Honey, I just grew a penis that pisses on people and makes them explode!"  There is no marriage counseling walkthrough for "Sweetie, I just switched species."  I agree that Juliette should have told Nick and I hope that she willingly tells him soon.  However, I can see her wanting to process this change and understand it before she drops it onto him.

I'm fine with characters making "wrong" decisions as long as those decisions come from a legitimate place for that character.

• Love 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it really easy to get rid of being a hexenbeist?  All it took was a bloody kiss with Adelaide.  I should probably watch tonight's episode before I comment further. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it really easy to get rid of being a hexenbeist?  All it took was a bloody kiss with Adelaide.  I should probably watch tonight's episode before I comment further. 

Juliette doesn't know about that because Nick isn't much of a "sharer."

They better include some kind of loop hole where that easy fix is off the table (maybe, made Hexen Biests don't have the sane weakness as natural born ones) because otherwise we're going to have multiple episodes that are just a waste of our time. 

Edited by BkWurm1

I think the simplest "loophole closure" would be that since Nick was involved in the power-transferance, his blood won't work on Juliette.  That closes off the easy fix but allows for the possibility of Trubel coming back to cure Juliette.  Of course, since Josh and Trubel and likely trying to stay off the grid, it's possible that finding and contacting Trubel will be... troublesome.

For my part I want the hexenbiestishness to stick around.  I like the idea of Juliette having the power to protect herself and those she loves.  I also like the idea of her having a more equal role, power-wise in her relationship with Nick.

Plus, we might "bee" able to see the bee people again when they go after Juliette or something.

Plus, I can't wait 'til Juliette Woges in front of Bud and he feints or something.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 5

Biest Fight next week! [And, once again, Nick's and Juliette's house probably gets completely trashed.  Don't the neighbors ever hear anything?  What about when Nick and Juliette have to keep returning to the furniture store to replace everything that's been destroyed in the latest fight in the house?]

I don't really want Juliette to kill Adalind, but I am looking forward to Juliette (hopefully) laying a big ol' ass-whupping on the richly-deserving Adalind.

Just occurred to me:  What if Juliette's been a latent hexenbiest all along and all the crap that's happened to her just awakened her true nature?

Edited by officetemp
  • Love 2

Just occurred to me:  What if Juliette's been a latent hexenbiest all along and all the crap that's happened to her just awakened her true nature?

In my head this is why she's so powerful.  She's a natural and a created hexenbiest.  One thing to note is that we've never met her parents.

• Love 2

In my head this is why she's so powerful.  She's a natural and a created hexenbiest.  One thing to note is that we've never met her parents.

I'm fine with Juliette being a hexenbiest.  I'm also fine with the show finding some way that she could remain with Nick and be his mate, etc.  The thing that would really bother me (a lot!) is if the writers went in the direction of "a super-powerful, mystically-created hexenbiest will someday appear and wreak havoc and/or save the world as foretold in the ancient writings of both the hexenbiests and the Grimms."  [Oh, wait a minute:  that's super-special Royal Baby Diana Schade-Renard, isn't it?]  Too much!!

Edited by officetemp

If you mean English drinking buddy, then sure! If you mean not-wife or girlfriend, "mate" dehumanizes her.

Sorry--sloppy composition on my part.  I meant "wife," "significant other," "life-partner," or whatever term best describes Nick and Juliette's relationship as they define it.  I'm still hoping that they eventually decide to get married and have children, once they figure out how to live with/resolve the hexenbiest situation.

• Love 1

The only way Juliette could be terrifying is if...nope. I can't come up with anything. Oh! Maybe if they recast the part. 

You might get your wish.  Bitsie Tulloch is second billed to Will Smith in "Concussion."  She might end up too big/expensive for Grimm's sixth season. Figure then Juliette will be killed off and Nick can get a new lady-love.  Perhaps Katia Winter from the by then cancelled Sleepy Hollow.  She can also play a hexenbiest.  She can then emote in a shrill, histrionic accent.  And I will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.

• Love 2

You might get your wish.  Bitsie Tulloch is second billed to Will Smith in "Concussion."  She might end up too big/expensive for Grimm's sixth season.

Actually, I don't think her role is quite that big.  From what I understand it's definitely a supporting role (IMDB has an interesting way of listing casts, so you can't go by that). 

That being said, though, she does has 3 movies coming out--which is pretty impressive for someone who has had a rather limited role in her TV show.

• Love 1

Actually, I don't think her role is quite that big.  From what I understand it's definitely a supporting role (IMDB has an interesting way of listing casts, so you can't go by that). 

That being said, though, she does has 3 movies coming out--which is pretty impressive for someone who has had a rather limited role in her TV show.

I'm pretty sure that Bitsie is going to be with Grimm for the duration and I'm glad of it, because I like her lot, but I'm kind of a fan of the trope/idea "the thing you say that you want is given to you in the worst possible way."  Like "Bitsie's gone, yaaay!" "Katia's coming?  Noooooooooo!" 

• Love 5

Okay, here's my half-baked, crackpot theory on the Juliette Hexenbiest.

I don't buy that she is uncurable at all.  I can buy that Nick's blood can't cure her, but I don't even think it is that.

I think that Renard and Henrietta are trying to enlist her into...something.  When Juliette woged for him, he didn't offer her any sort of advice whatsoever.  It wasn't until the next day that he said she should see Henrietta--and at the time he had lunch with Juliette, he hadn't even yet spoken to Henrietta.  By the time Juliette finally meets with her, Henrietta had already spoken to Sean and told of the situation

Then, Henrietta jumps immediately to the "get used to it, we can't fix you" after she sees how powerful Juliette is.  Who knows, maybe she wants Juliette to join her coven or something.

When the series started, Renard was definitely on the dark side of gray and now he's almost a good guy.  But there are a number of signs that the writers might be trying to move him back into the gray--his noncommittal conversation with Viktor, his undercover lizard guy, sending said lizard guy to find Kelly.  

Renard is also a little too willing to work with Monroe and Rosalee and was strangely okay with Wu in the know.  It could be that he's trying to build some kind of Grimm/Wessen posse to do his bidding, and a super-powerful hexenbiest would be a valuable addition.  My guess is that, at some point down the road, something is going to shake up the Nick and Sean relationship and I can think of few things more volatile than Nick finding out that Sean is trying to keep Juliette as a hexenbiest and use her for his own means.

Call me crazy, but there you go....

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 3

I would be shocked beyond belief if they broke up Nick and Juliette--the only reason I would see that happen is is Bitsie Tulloch decided to leave the show.  I still hold to my crazy theory above, but I bet it will come down to either Nick accepting Juliette as a Hexenbiest or Juliette being de-hexed.

• Love 1

I hope the plan isn't to break up Nick and Juliette. I like them as a couple and I really don't want to see Nick with woman of the week.

I have seen this brought up by several people over time.  However, this is a false dichotomy.  There are a whole bunch of other things that could happen if Nick is not with Juliette. He could stay single, thinking being a Grimm is too dangerous.  He could meet someone and end up in a committed relationship.  It could be a combo - hold off on dating for a while then meet someone.  His love life could not be focused on at all with just hints via comments in conversation.  And a whole bunch of options that I'm not even thinking of right now.  I really don't think this would turn into the These are the Days of Nick's Lives...  This show is not about romance.

• Love 4

This show is not about romance.

I agree.  It can also be said, though, that their romance has been enduring enough that it would be sort of out of character of the relationship and the two of them individually for them to be split up, anything more than temporarily, over her turning hexenbiest in the process of having tried to help him get his Grimm back.  Their relationship has survived a bunch of curveballs and unless the actress would leave the show, I feel like a permanent split would be a hard sell.

• Love 3

Yes, this false dichotomy that somehow if he lost Juliette, Nick would just start whoring around, even though he's never exhibited any hound dog tendencies. Nick is a straight arrow. 

I would have no problem believing if Nick, after seeing Juliette become a hexenbiest and getting cured (because face it, she WILL be cured), that he sacrifices the relationship for her safety. That even though they love each other, he agrees with what Juliette herself has said, and what his aunt told him, which is that a Grimm in any kind of relationship is a bad idea. The hexenbiesting of Juliette could be the last straw.

It's not about being a dog.  It's about putting their very attractive, now-single leading man with other attractive women because it looks hot and brings in viewers.  So figure in Bitsie's absence there'll be a series of abortive dates and short-term relationships where the hot girl of the week/month turns out to be evil or dies or is married to some scary-ass Wesen all in the service of "Oh gosh darn it, poor ol' Nick just can't catch a break in his love life."  When he finally does find "The One" or at least, "The Next One," we'll get to go through the meet-cute will-they-or-won't-they bullshit that his relationship with Juliette spared us having to endure.

As for a cure, I think that a cure will be found but that Juliette will refuse to take it.  After the last episode she gets it.  Juliette understands that as long as Nick loves her, she'll be a potential hostage/weapon that can be used against him as long as she's a relatively powerless human.  Guts, enthusiasm and skillet-fu are fine against an untrained asshole like the wife-beating Klaustreik, but that's not going to cut it in the long run against Blutbad and Manticores.  Being a really powerful hexenbiest on the other hand, goes a good way further toward cutting it.  Figure once word gets out about Juliette (and it will), people will realize that trying to kidnap her doesn't get use a useful hostage so much as a messy, unpleasant death.  

• Love 5

I would have no problem believing if Nick, after seeing Juliette become a hexenbiest and getting cured (because face it, she WILL be cured), that he sacrifices the relationship for her safety. That even though they love each other, he agrees with what Juliette herself has said, and what his aunt told him, which is that a Grimm in any kind of relationship is a bad idea. The hexenbiesting of Juliette could be the last straw.

I can see that happening...temporarily.  I don't think there is any way the writers could carry off both Nick and Juliette on the show without them ultimately together.  If something were to happen and Bitsie Tulloch were to leave the show, I can't believe that Nick would be playing the batchelor for too long.  This isn't really a romantic thing, but I do agree that Nick needs someone (other than Hank and Wu) who can anchor him.

But, no, I will repeat what I said before.  I would be shocked if the writers permanently break up Nick and Juliette.

• Love 4

I have no proof of it, but I get the feeling that early on Bitsie Tulloch sat down with the showrunners and said something like, "Look, fine, it's a TV horror series, but even so, don't make my character into one of those stereotypical hyper-jealous damsel-in-distress ditzy TV girlfriends.  I want Juliette to have common sense and be competent in living her life."

I read an interview with Bitsie Tulloch a few months ago where she said that the Hexenbiest arc came as a complete surprise to everyone (I think she said that Bree Turner, who had read the script before she did, called her in a panic over it), so we know that Tulloch didn't ask for Wesenality.

That being said, I agree that a likelihood between Tulloch and TPTB may have happened where she might have said something like, "Look, I appreciate being on a successful show and being able to work with my boyfriend, but I'm getting plenty of supporting work in movies and I could walk if you don't make Juliette a bit more worthwhile."  I mean, we barely even saw Juliette until the very end of the fist season, then there was the amnesia/obsession mess of the second season, and then she sort of reverted to a recurring role for most of the third season.

I don't think that turning her into a Hexenbiest was the only way to solve this problem.  And, while I find it interesting now, I do hope it's not permanent because I don't think that arc is sustainable for the long term.  In the end they, all they really needed to do is actually pay some attention to developing her character and her relationship a bit more instead of just "pulling her out" when they needed a to fix a plot hole.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

I don't think that turning her into a Hexenbiest was the only way to solve this problem.  And, while I find it interesting now, I do hope it's not permanent because I don't think that arc is sustainable for the long term.  In the end they, all they really needed to do is actually pay some attention to developing her character and her relationship a bit more instead of just "pulling her out" when they needed a to fix a plot hole.

I hope it is permanent because I think it"s one of the best ways to develop Juliette's character and relationship, especially with Nick, for the long term.  I believe that one of the reasons some people find Juliette to be boring, especially in context with Nick is that their relationship lacks dramatic tension.  As of the end of "Highway of Tears" Nick and Juliette sealed their commitment to "Grimm Life" with way more than a kiss.

Juliette becoming a hexenbiest has a great potential for bringing dramatic tension (and likely occasional conflict) back into their relationship.  This board has seen a lot of discussion about the apparent similarities and conflicts between Grimms and Hexenbiests.  Of all the beings on the show, only Grimms and hexenbiests have the ability to fully negate each others abilities.  I don't think that's an accident and I don't think power comes without obligation.  Grimms seem to act as agents who protect humanity from Wesen threats.  Perhaps hexenbiests exist to protect Wesen (or even Nature itself) from humanity.  Perhaps Juliette will come to understand that along with her powers, she has an obligation to protect Wesen and Nature from human threats, which is something that could easily lead to her and Nick opposing each other.  Not as true enemies but as two conscientious people committed to fulfilling their responsibilities.

• Love 7

I don't know if I buy that hexenbiests protect Wesen from humans.  I can't remember when Adalind or her mother have had much of anything but self-interest.  Renard's mother protected her son, and helped a Grimm get his Grimm back. Anything is possible in this little drama, but I don't fancy seeing Nick and Juliette at odds and I don't want to see Juliette growing into her responsibilities of killing humans or Wesen.  That's what cops and Grimms are for.