Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E21: Lost in Translation

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Gibbs and Bishop travel to Afghanistan after the murder of a Marine in D.C. is linked to a terror group holding another Marine hostage overseas.  Also, DiNozzo is upset that McGee was chosen to be the new face of NCIS for all recruitment brochures,

As soon as Kasim made that whole "if giving my life will save the marine" speech I knew what he was going to do, and as I usually am with this sort of thing, I was right. Like a complete idiot Kasim runs off when nobody is looking to turn himself into his brother, forgetting that means that he's taking the U.S. Forces only bargaining chip off the table and thus his brother has absolutely NO reason to turn the marine over. As a result instead of taking their time Gibbs and Bishop have to make a mad dash to rescue them both, and worst of all they could have done the exact same thing WITHOUT Kasim being a colossal moron. In fact, with the shows I watch this seems to be the week of plots that only work if at least someone if not everyone is a colossal moron.

Oh, and Gibbs? I get that you're the "school of hard knocks" kind of guy, but even if you intend to back them up you do NOT send an agent with no training in doing so out to infiltrate an enemy safehouse, especially when lives are at stake. Pushing someone to do something incredibly dangerous when they are not conditioned to handle that is VERY likely to have something go horribly wrong.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 5

I just finished an Abby rant on another thread, so I'll continue here.

"GIBBES,GIBBES,GIBBES,GIBBES,GIBBES... I don't like to be kept waiting when I have news!"

Then looks around like a crazy women over the top of her caf-pow at the end of the scene.

Seriously, PP, TONE IT DOWN! Sheesh. I used to Love Abby. Now I just cringe whenever she is on the screen, If she was a NEW character, I bet that viewers would all be clamoring to have her replaced. I feel bad for the crew having to replace all the scenery she chews.

At least they've toned Bishop down... can't have TWO Manic Pixie Girls!

Edited by slothgirl

I really appreciated that Bishop stood up to Gibbs. It was nice to see, particularly in this situation because she had a completely valid point and has the right to refuse unsafe work and work that she's not adequately trained for. I'm assuming (although this could be totally wrong) that Gibbs told her the plan before she agreed to it, though we didn't see it directly.

The April Fools day joke was annoying - the entire storyline was annoying, actually.

I usually have a high tolerance for Abby, but "I don't like to be kept waiting when I have news" made me want to slap her. Pick up the phone since the news did not need to be delivered in person, and perhaps remember that Gibbs is busy too and can't apparate to your side whenever you find something. Also, in general just don't talk to your boss like that. It was a badly written line.

• Love 2

The April Fools Day joke was pretty dumb, but I do like that it took Jimmy and McGee teamed up to fool DiNozzo, and I liked that Tony actually smiled after they left and acknowledged their "skills" with a pleased "I've taught them well." That made me chuckle.

I'm confused about Bishop. She must have some training, right? She's had weapons training, well enough to be able to use her gun, and surely working for the NSA required some crucial tactical drills and other skills. Even if she was simply an analyst, if they sent her out in the field to Afghanistan and Pakistan she would need some basics under her belt. Plus didn't we see her doing some practice drills at NCIS as well (in another episode)? I do think Gibbs pushes her and that might not be a safe thing even if he does have her back, but maybe it was time for her to step up and and he sensed she'd been stalling? I don't know...

Edited by sinkwriter

They've sort of retconned Bishop's competence in the field. When she first appeared they went way overboard (IMO) shoveling on the improbable awesomeness (the scene where she schooled Ducky in the fine points of the forensics of the case of the week after memorizing a textbook over the weekend stands out in my memory). Some folks found it less likable than they were hoping for. They've dialled that back a lot this season. But, yeah, one of the things we were beaten over the head with last season was her extensive field training.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Lots of dust in the house when Kasim got the dog tags. I really liked the character and actor, so was thrilled that he's working for NCIS. Hopefully he gets some cameos.

I thought the story was great, and loved Kasim and Bishop bonding. What a terrifying position for her to be put in.

• Love 2

Lots of dust in the house when Kasim got the dog tags. I really liked the character and actor, so was thrilled that he's working for NCIS. Hopefully he gets some cameos.

I liked him, too. In fact, when he and the Marine were being held in that room (and Kasim asked his brother if the Marine was already dead), I muttered to the TV, "They better not die or I'm going to be really mad!" LOL. I'm so glad they survived. So, so glad.

• Love 1

Zzzzzzz, is this episode over yet?  It's rare that I start nodding off while watching NCIS.

The first half really was a snooze fest - and I had just watched the snooze fest on Person of Interest so I was fairly underwhelmed with my evening's viewing. 

But the second half picked up the pace quite a bit and I enjoyed it.

Loved the late April Fool's joke and Tony's reaction to it. And McGee was looking mighty fine in that cardboard cutout.

Somehow I missed Abby saying "I don't like to be kept waiting when I have news" but if I had heard it, I'd have slapped her too.

• Love 1

She may have had plenty of field training but there is a difference between field training and field actuality.  Her nerves were in actually performing in the live field not the training field.  Loved Tony in interrogation and how proud he was of Tim and Jim with their very successful prank.

Was Abby's dress a bit more sophisticated/mature than recent ones? (of course, her "Gibbs" Cubed would have counteracted that...)

When the "terrorist" pushed/shoved Bishop into the tent, I guessed that it really was Gibbs (no kidding!). My question: how did he get there? The infrared pictures showed heat from the cars engine and from Bishop, where was he?  Or should I just realize that it is just another one of his magical powers?  :)

He threw a thermal blanket over himself that had been packed in a cooler full of ice.  To remain hidden from outside guards, he also threw a black thickly woven wool blanket over the thermal blanket.  The wool blanket was also transported in the ice filled cooler.  Both blankets had eye holes cut in them so he could see, but underneath he was wearing night vision goggles that had also been in the cooler.

There you go!

• Love 3

He threw a thermal blanket over himself that had been packed in a cooler full of ice.  To remain hidden from outside guards, he also threw a black thickly woven wool blanket over the thermal blanket.  The wool blanket was also transported in the ice filled cooler.  Both blankets had eye holes cut in them so he could see, but underneath he was wearing night vision goggles that had also been in the cooler.

And the real terrorist mistook all that for medical supplies.... without checking. And MagicGibbes was able to get out from under all that and out of the vehicle in the time between the terrorist raising his weapon aiming towards Bish and pulling the trigger.

I loved the April Fool's trick, but until the very end when Tony acknowledged the cleverness of their elaborate ruse, I was very uncomfortable with Tony's reaction.  Especially when he was stabbing into McGee's cardboard cutout.  I get it, Tony is struggling with not being the new, hot, young thing, and that was at the base of his over-the-top reaction, but I just didn't like his juvenile reaction.  I get it, that's Tony, that's the way he's quite often written, but I didn't like it.  Except when it turned out to all be a joke and Tony took it very, very well--so on the one hand he's an immature jerk, and on the other hand he maturely offers props and respect when he's been had.  It just doesn't gel for me.

• Love 3

I loved the April Fool's trick, but until the very end when Tony acknowledged the cleverness of their elaborate ruse,

I didn't get paying Palmer so much money to stitch the thing back together. Wouldn't it have cheaper to talk to the promo department and pay to have another one printed?

Oh,  but then he'd find out it was a ruse.... I guess we are to assume that Palmer offered to stitch it together? Because why would Tony have thought of that as a way to repair it? It's not like the bodies are sewn back together with no scarring in autopsy! And they're also not stiff cardboard.

Edited by slothgirl

I loved the April Fool's trick, but until the very end when Tony acknowledged the cleverness of their elaborate ruse, I was very uncomfortable with Tony's reaction.  Especially when he was stabbing into McGee's cardboard cutout.  I get it, Tony is struggling with not being the new, hot, young thing, and that was at the base of his over-the-top reaction, but I just didn't like his juvenile reaction.  I get it, that's Tony, that's the way he's quite often written, but I didn't like it.  Except when it turned out to all be a joke and Tony took it very, very well--so on the one hand he's an immature jerk, and on the other hand he maturely offers props and respect when he's been had.  It just doesn't gel for me.

I took it to be Tony reacting as an insecure narcissistic ass who couldn't stand to think that he wasn't the bestest, most handsomest, etc, guy on the planet anymore.  But when he finds out that the whole thing was a joke, he immediately decides to turn it around.  It took more than one person to fool him, and they were both less awesome than he, and they could only do it because he taught them well.

Never liked Tony that much.  Will now start ducking.

• Love 1
I loved the April Fool's trick, but until the very end when Tony acknowledged the cleverness of their elaborate ruse, I was very uncomfortable with Tony's reaction.

I love Tony, but the guy is vain about his looks and his skills.  Just as vain as McGee is about his computer skills.  So he was bothered, then apologized, then realized the brilliance of their joke.  I see him being about to take what he also dishes out now.

I also loved that he found the killer and was great in interrogation.

I thought the character was on fire.  He's hilarious and vain and brilliantly solved a case and is fierce in interrogation and then apologetic and proud of getting pranked at the same time.  The guy's five different things in one episode and I love it.

Liked see Bishop out in the field.  From my understanding, she had experience in analysis not out in the field where the action is.  She was never as comfortable with the quick thinking and reaction required for that and she's getting better at it, as we saw in the episode.

I'd love to see Qasim back soon!

Edited by Betweenthisandthat
  • Love 4

I have to agree that the retcon is much more realistic than the original portrayal. The original portrayal, though, was that she had extensive field training.

I love Tony, but the guy is vain about his looks and his skills.  Just as vain as McGee is about his computer skills. 

I don't think it's quite the same thing. McGee thinks he should be treated with professional respect because he graduated from two of the leading engineering schools in the country with degrees in computer forensics and he's one of the top experts in his field. Tony is a well-preserved middle aged man who believes he deserves to behave like a child and still be treated with deference because he inherited good genes. What Tony has is vanity. What McGee has is pride, and he's earned it. 

I honestly prefer this season's trying to be an adult Tony, and I didn't think the prank was anywhere good enough to be worth his regressing for the length of the episode. Mileage varies, of course. 

• Love 2
Tony is a well-preserved middle aged man who believes he deserves to behave like a child and still be treated with deference because he inherited good genes. What Tony has is vanity. What McGee has is pride, and he's earned it.

I don't think it's as black and white as that. Tony is vain and can be childish but McGee tends to undervalue Tony's actual skill as an agent sometimes too.  Even last season, when Tony was sent to France, McGee resented it because Tony was undercover as a computer expert and McGee thought that should have been his mission.  When he and Bishop find out Tony's mission is to rescue the admiral's daughter, he says that it was only natural because Tony's an errand boy or something.  

It's a small moment, McGee does have his smug moments where his pride and ego get in the way.  It was only a few episodes ago that McGee and Abby too were pissed that Gibbs told Tony about the cold case, to the point that Vance told him to check his ego during the discussion about the case.  Tony sees himself as a handsome senior field agent who because of his vanity and position as second in command sees himself as above McGee professionally and physically. McGee might respect Tony's capabilities as a field agent, but McGee sees himself as smarter because of his education and tech savvy.

I believe Tony and McGee like each other and respect each other a lot but I don't see one as vastly more immature as the other.  They each have their weak spots, they both can be competitive with each other, which was my point, and why they can both be threatened by the other.  McGee being the face of NCIS puts him as representing everything it stands for.  It is a professional honor, and while it's a joke both agents take pride in their work and part of Tony's initial insecurity was because he felt overlooked and passed over.  Of course, milage varies.

I also never imagined Bishop with lots of field experience in the ways that she encountered in this episode.  I'll have to go back to season 11 episodes to check.

Edited by Betweenthisandthat
  • Love 4

I could see McGee being picked for representational promo stuff for the agency but it harkening back to model thing and Palmer waxing poetic on how perfect a specimen he is just pushed it over into silly for me. I already didn`t buy that the dude back in that episode bought the model-thing. I don`t think McGee is unattractive but he just isn`t that guy. So maybe Tony was too vain in being flabbergasted but frankly, I was there right along with him. And I`m nowhere near model-looks nor have I ever been.   

• Love 1

Senior said he was a catalog model, though, didn't he? Because catalog models aren't supposed to be drop dead gorgeous. They're supposed to be able to pass for everymen and -women so we can all picture ourselves in the clothes.

• Love 1

Senior said he was a catalog model, though, didn't he? Because catalog models aren't supposed to be drop dead gorgeous. They're supposed to be able to pass for everymen and -women so we can all picture ourselves in the clothes.

Unless it's the Victoria's Secret catalog

• Love 2

I liked him, too. In fact, when he and the Marine were being held in that room (and Kasim asked his brother if the Marine was already dead), I muttered to the TV, "They better not die or I'm going to be really mad!" LOL. I'm so glad they survived. So, so glad.

I also liked Kasim, and I'd be happy if he returned.  I thought it was cool that 50+ Marines wrote letters in support of him to SecNav.

Funny story...I seem to be behind when it comes to TV this season.  I just watched this episode yesterday.  I came into this forum and clicked on the thread "Honor Thy Father".  I started reading and thought, "This isn't what happened in this episode."

Then it dawned on me.  I'm also behind on Scandal, and I started watching an episode titled "Honor Thy Father."  Got myself completely turned around.  I guess everything DOES end up being reused in TV---even episode titles.

MDL, i agree with you about Abby's outfit.  It was one of the best ones that Pauley's been given in a while.  It looked terrific on her!

I thought the story was great, and loved Kasim and Bishop bonding. What a terrifying position for her to be put in.

I am apparently the only one who saw a vibe between Bishop and Qasim....? Their heart to heart on the plane (I couldn't tell if Bishop was referring to a former love that died - before she met Jake. It wasn't clear in the convo with Gibbs either. Or was the interpreter who died just a friend as she explained. Do we know if Jake was abroad with her?) and then their conversation at the truck at the end. I have never gotten a vibe from her before with anyone else (which has been REFRESHING) but for some reason I kept waiting for Qasim to hold her hand or something. 

I agree that Abby was *especially grating this ep. I <heart> the autopsy gremlin. I laugh every time he is saying something stupid when Gibbs walks up behind him. Every. time. Even tho it's always telegraphed, he sells it!

• Love 1