Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Woo! Second time since last summer I've watched Jake Arrieta throw a no-no.

I was watching "Purple Rain" last night on MTV (I didn't know MTV still existed) so I missed the no-no.  I think that's an acceptable excuse.

• Love 4

That's so sad.  I was listening to Prince songs through the entire Jays/Raptors games.  I was having such a great time doing that, too.  The Jays played terribly against Baltimore -- lost 2/3 games.  Winnable games were lost.  Bleh.

It's okay, the Jays always lose in the same way !  Gain a big lead, remove starter, bullpen shits the bed!

Congratulations White Sox!  A team with 3 former Blue Jays is a team that I like!  Except for you Matt Albers.  Never ever you.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
4 hours ago, King of Birds said:

What the hell is going on in Chicago?   16-6?  15-5?  Craaaaziness.

Finger crossed they will be Completely Useless By September, like the good old days.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Dee, Dee, Dee. This is what you get when you sit next to Barry at lunch and go back to refill your iced tea!  (sure, most likely the PEDs are injected, not hidden in the fries, but the joke doesn't work if you know that.)

So mojoween and all you Yankee brethren, are we feeling this Sox - Yankees series this weekend? The media sure want to build it up but both teams are pretty mediocre so far this year. A Red Sox sweep will work just fine for me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, King of Birds said:

Dee, Dee, Dee. This is what you get when you sit next to Barry at lunch and go back to refill your iced tea!  (sure, most likely the PEDs are injected, not hidden in the fries, but the joke doesn't work if you know that.)

So mojoween and all you Yankee brethren, are we feeling this Sox - Yankees series this weekend? The media sure want to build it up but both teams are pretty mediocre so far this year. A Red Sox sweep will work just fine for me.

I'd have to be dead for a decade and my corpse burned, buried and the earth salted for me not to care about the series.

Of course, I'm not that well adjusted...

• Love 4

The Braves are on a one game winning streak.  Woo.  Now they're facing the Cubbies so there goes the chance at getting another win through the weekend.

A year ago today the O's played their game without any fans in attendance.  I happened across a clip of Gary Thorne doing his "Masters golf voice" during the game for some humor and it's still funny to me.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Haha the press builds up the Yankees /Sox every time they play,  it feels like  they play each other 50 times a season.

Edited by tom87
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I will always feel Yanks/The Whatevers even if they were both winless and it was September.

The Whatevers have a helluva team.

I don't know- "$*%# you Eovaldi" or "$@&$# -ing see ya later CC!" "That's an EE Didi!"  just isn't as good as a FUCK YOU AROD! See? That just rolls off the tongue.

• Love 1

MLB  needs to stop scheduling NY/Bos for weekends just so ESPN can get a ratings boost on the Sunday night game. The rivalry matters only to fans of each and lots of us can't get up for it when only one team is a good one. I don't say that b/c I am a NYY fan. I hate it being made out to be this baseball nirvana  . Besides I like hearing my home team announcers as I am sure BoSox fans feel the same about theirs.

Tom87, I think it's 14 but I agree. Right now I just want the Yanks to wake up and play decent ball. This RISP bull shit is getting old. Yes it's early but Yogi said it gets late early out there. Just show me some life. 

Seems Alex is getting hot now and Beltran is cooling down. Carlos hit into 2 DP's I think. Headley has been pure misery at the plate.

Y'all need to read this great story about the Infamous Doug Mirabelli Trade Back To Boston. Even Yankee fans, for Brian Cashman's role in the Sox having to include a pitcher in the trade. What a crazy day in baseball history!

Towers: I remember guys glued to the TV in Boston that night. The clubhouse was like, “Is Doug going to make it there in time? We have to watch this. Maybe he’s going to parachute down into the bullpen.”

Mirabelli: The pilot said to me after we got cleared over New York, “I don’t even know who you are, but I’ve carried hearts and lungs and never had this much clearance over airspace.” And I’m like, “Well don’t tell them who I am. You go over New York and all of a sudden they’re going to clear us around Canada or something.”

• Love 2

Last night's game, from Elias: David Ortiz cleared the Green Monster with a two-run tiebreaking homer in the bottom of the eighth inning, giving the Red Sox a 4-2 victory over the Yankees. That marked Ortiz's 48th homer versus the Yankees (not including five in the postseason), breaking a tie with Harmon Killebrew and Rafael Palmeiro for sixth-most all time against the Yanks.

Ortiz was the second 40-year-old to homer at Fenway Park on Friday night, after Alex Rodriguez put the Yankees on the scoreboard earlier in the night with a solo homer. Friday's Red Sox-Yankees matchup marked the first game in major-league history in which a player age 40 or older homered for each team.

On April 26, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's okay, the Jays always lose in the same way !  Gain a big lead, remove starter, bullpen shits the bed!

Ain't that the truth. Watching the series with the White Sox was like watching a train wreck. After the game lost when Estrada was the starter I had to take a break. Not watching Tampa Bay, not sure if I'll watch the Rangers game- I think I'm still healing from the train wreck. 

I'm new to baseball but have bc obsessed, even watching some of the out of market games. trying to see if there's a secondary team I should root for. So far I've just come up with a bunch of teams I'm rooting against :)

• Love 1

Cleo, my 2nd favourite team has to be the White Sox with Navarro and the other ex BJs.  They had a great series against us.  We (Kind of?) crushed Tampa Bay last night so I am excited for today.  Come back to us!

I also enjoy the Mets because I love Cespedes so much.

You guys are doing a lot of inside baseball posts that I don't understand.  Literally.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Cleo, my 2nd favourite team has to be the White Sox with Navarro and the other ex BJs.  They had a great series against us.  We (Kind of?) crushed Tampa Bay last night so I am excited for today.  Come back to us!

Ms Blue Jay, don't worry, the Jays are still my number one, I just think I need a backup. I was glad they won last night. I was watching the Sox and the Orioles, but I saw bits and pieces of the Jays game toward the end. I love Osuna, I don't know why. The way he kept his cool in the playoffs last year really impressed me. 

42 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

There's always room on the Mets bandwagon. They broke a team record last night, scoring 12 runs in the third inning, capped off by a Cespedes grand slam.

I'll keep it in mind, I haven't seem them play yet. I was watching some of the other top teams in the different divisions- White Sox, Orioles, I watched one Royals game. 

Was thinking of watching the Nationals play the Cubs next week just to see who comes out on top. I'll check the Mets schedule. 

• Love 1

You do that, Cleo. In the meantime, I gotta figure out when I'll get to Citi Field. I'm thinking of attending the special day celebrating the 1986 team, the last group of Mets to win the World Series. They won a decade-best 108 games, and they almost needed the maximum amount to beat the Astros and Red Sox.

All I've been hearing this week (or at least the past few weeks) from the Washington Post and others that report on the Nationals is the once they got to the end of April, the schedule would get harder as they went up against the Cardinals, Royals and Cubs.

So where is the Cardinal team that was supposed to be good?  Did they all move to Chicago?

(edited)
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Fucking Papi.

God I'm gonna miss him. Only 17 more games you have to face him, @mojoween!

eta: how about that JBJ tonight though, huh?

Edited by King of Birds
rubbing it in some more
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

All I've been hearing this week (or at least the past few weeks) from the Washington Post and others that report on the Nationals is the once they got to the end of April, the schedule would get harder as they went up against the Cardinals, Royals and Cubs.

So where is the Cardinal team that was supposed to be good?  Did they all move to Chicago?

I would guess the post or anyone else didn't think the Nationals would get swept by the Phillies either :). 

The Phillies are 4 games over 500 for the first time since like 2011 or 12. They might not sustain this but they are really fun to watch.

8 hours ago, shoregirl said:

I would guess the post or anyone else didn't think the Nationals would get swept by the Phillies either :). 

The Phillies are 4 games over 500 for the first time since like 2011 or 12. They might not sustain this but they are really fun to watch.

I think Odubel and Maikel could be something special, even when they try to score from third for god knows what reason....

It sure is nice seeing Ryan Howard smile again.

11 hours ago, bosawks said:

I think Odubel and Maikel could be something special, even when they try to score from third for god knows what reason....

It sure is nice seeing Ryan Howard smile again.

I've been very impressed by Odubel's plate discipline. He had 28 walks all last season, he had 23 just in April. Maikel throwing someone out from his but was crazy. Six in a row !!! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

So some good things happened today

The Nationals won, The Reds won and the Mets lost.

So hopefully something good happens tonight.

Anytime the Nationals win and the Mets lose is a good day.  Even better is that they swept the Cardinals.  

• Love 1

First non-opening day game of the season for us today.  50 degrees, damp and chilly.  O's lose 7-1.  Blech.

Fortunately, dinner did not suck.

I'm thinking of going to the Mets' celebration of the '86 team. It's on a Saturday, and the game starts at 7:10. I'm thinking that I wouldn't make it back home until after midnight, but it's on Memorial Day weekend. I would have wanted to get a replica ring the following day, but that's an ESPN 8 p.m. game.

The problem I have with the ESPN games (which next week is Red Sox @ Yankees again) is that MLB Network shows the rest of the series on Friday and Saturday.

Good thing I have extra innings so I can watch on MASN (except when the games are also played on the local network and it gets blacked out)  and or when the Nationals are playing the Marlins (and then I have to watch the Marlins broadcast) or when the Rays play the O's .