Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Yankees traded back up catcher John Ryan Murphy for Aaron Hicks (OF) of the Twins. JRM is a good hitter and a very good catcher. He should fit in well with the Twins, I think, because they stress fundamentals and he has them in spades. He was quite popular amongst the faithful and I am sad to see him go. But I am happy for him.

But it seems that Hicks is a guy who may just be turning the corner into a good, consistent player.     Here's a pretty good breakdown of the trade. 

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2015/11/11/five-quick-thoughts-john-ryan-murphy-aaron-hicks-trade/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you were at Riverfront I think you can give yourself partial credit for The Vet and Three Rivers.......

As well as Atlanta Fulton County. 

My least favorite park has to be Tropicana Field.  It's not really as bad as people say, it's just odd.

Stadiums I've been to:  Shea, Citi Field, what was then called SkyDome, Camden Yards, Nationals Park (talk about a major disappointment), Fulton County, Turner Field, Tropicana Field, AT&T Park (my favorite), and a host of minor league/spring training sites.  The best out of that bunch, hands down, was the late great Dodgertown in Vero Beach.  What an amazing place!  Second on that list is Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, FL, spring home of the Tigers.  Hopefully one of these days I'll get to McKechnie Field in Bradenton to take in a Pirates spring game.

• Love 2

I love doing the local stuff before games like, Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh, the obvious two of Wrigleyville and Yawkey Way in Chicago and Boston.

In Philly if you're going to a Business Person's Special going to John's Roast Pork is THE thing to do!

What are peoples recommendations of their favorite parks?

My list of parks: Old Yankee, New Yankee, The Jake (or whatever its name is now), Rogers Centre, Camden Yards, Angels Stadium, Shea, US Cellular, plus the minor leaguers Steinbrenner (spring training!), LaLacheur (Lowell Spinners!), Richmond County Bank (SI Yanks!).  Best view: RCB -- can't beat NY Harbor and the Statue of Liberty. Grandest: New Yank. Cutest: the Jake - so well laid out, easy to navigate. Least comfortable, even in pricey seats: Shea. Spent half the game wandering the stadium just to ease the torture of jamming my legs into a space meant for pursedogs, not grown-ass humans. Was not sorry to see the wrecking ball on that one. Weirdest crowd: Jake -- nobody ever chanted! They'd cheer and clap along to that insufferable bass drum, but no rhythmic crowd voices.

On my to-do list: Kauffmann,  Safeco.

I've been to The Vet, Citizens Bank Park, Camden Yards and Qualcom.

I lived in San Diego when the vote for the new stadium happened but haven't been back since I voted for it so I'd really like to see that one.

Citizens Bank is my favorite I've sat all over the stadium from the corporate boxes to the top seats in the park and always felt I had a good spot to see the game. I love all the statues of the former players inside and outside especially the Harry Kalas one because that was funded by the fans. The Chickie's fries are great but I have less of a need to get them since they've moved into the south jersey area and I have a restraunt 5 minutes from my house.

I've been to the Lakewood Blueclaws stadium it's the single a phillies team and I try to go when a Phillies player is rehabbing there.

As well as Atlanta Fulton County. 

My least favorite park has to be Tropicana Field.  It's not really as bad as people say, it's just odd.

Stadiums I've been to:  Shea, Citi Field, what was then called SkyDome, Camden Yards, Nationals Park (talk about a major disappointment), Fulton County, Turner Field, Tropicana Field, AT&T Park (my favorite), and a host of minor league/spring training sites.  The best out of that bunch, hands down, was the late great Dodgertown in Vero Beach.  What an amazing place!  Second on that list is Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, FL, spring home of the Tigers.  Hopefully one of these days I'll get to McKechnie Field in Bradenton to take in a Pirates spring game.

Loved Dodgertown!!!  I was so sad when they moved west.  When the O's were in Ft Lauderdale, we always made the trip up to see a game there.  I guess now that the O's have moved "west", it would be a long drive to Vero Beach, but it still makes me sad.

I really like Marchant Stadium.  I also really enjoyed the stadium in Kissimmee.  It's a total throwback to the old days of spring training.  I'm sorry that they are replacing it.  (At least I think I heard they were replacing it...).  

You should definitely get to Bradenton,  They did a fabulous job fixing that place up.  Also, the O's have done a remarkable job with the stadium in Sarasota.  Check that one out if you're over that way.

We're definitely heading to spring training in March.  Skipped it last year for the first time in 20 or so years and I can't wait to get there!!

Oh, and totally agree about Nats Park.  I read a headline somewhere that they have contracted with the White House Historical ... something... for the next couple of years, so I'm not looking forward to the new Racing Presidents 'heads if they're going to be like Silent Cal...

• Love 1

Interesting piece on Deadspin today about MLB money:

Previously, revenue was largely tied to performance. If your team was good, you made more on tickets and merchandise sales. But these RSN [regional tv] contracts are locked in; that money will still flow over the course of the deal no matter how a team does in the standings. There’s less incentive for owners to spend more on players, and that’s borne out by the unassailable fact that they aren’t.

This is upsetting to Scott Boras.

Of course, with all that revenue, why do they still  jack up ticket prices? Capitalism sux.

• Love 1

Loved Dodgertown!!!  I was so sad when they moved west.  When the O's were in Ft Lauderdale, we always made the trip up to see a game there.  I guess now that the O's have moved "west", it would be a long drive to Vero Beach, but it still makes me sad.

I really like Marchant Stadium.  I also really enjoyed the stadium in Kissimmee.  It's a total throwback to the old days of spring training.  I'm sorry that they are replacing it.  (At least I think I heard they were replacing it...).  

Is that the stadium that the Astros are playing in during ST?  If so the Astros and the Nats are moving South in 2017 to the same ballpark that they just had groundbreaking for on Monday(?).

Per Fox Sports on Twitter

Colby Rasmus has accepted his qualifying offer.

If you know the back roads, you don't have to take the turnpike.   I think I've been by the stadium once quite a few years ago.

I think after the Astros and Nats leave the area, only the Braves will be close enough to go to a game.  Which is sad.

Is that the stadium that the Astros are playing in during ST?  If so the Astros and the Nats are moving South in 2017 to the same ballpark that they just had groundbreaking for on Monday(?).

That's the one (although by now, you already know this).  The Nats and Astros are moving to West Palm.  A long time ago, the Expos trained there (I think it was the Expos).  I once sat behind George Will and his family.  His son was ripping heads off Barbie dolls.  I don't know why that sticks with me...

If you know the back roads, you don't have to take the turnpike.   I think I've been by the stadium once quite a few years ago.

I think after the Astros and Nats leave the area, only the Braves will be close enough to go to a game.  Which is sad.

Other than the turnpike I wouldn't know how to get to the stadium in Kissimmee from where I live (Seminole County).  If you have any tips or shortcuts I'm happy to take them!

By the way I think the Braves are leaving Disney.  That'll suck.

That's the one (although by now, you already know this).  The Nats and Astros are moving to West Palm.  A long time ago, the Expos trained there (I think it was the Expos).  I once sat behind George Will and his family.  His son was ripping heads off Barbie dolls.  I don't know why that sticks with me...

The Braves used to share that stadium with Les Expos.  I never went there but I heard it was a nice facility.

I live on the East side of Orange County off of 520, so I just take a side road that takes me to 192.  Unfortunately I don't know the name of the side road.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If Atlanta leaves Disney, what teams will there be in Central Florida/Orlando?  I'm thinking none and I am not driving across the state to watch baseball.

Edited by jennifer6973

I live on the East side of Orange County off of 520, so I just take a side road that takes me to 192.  Unfortunately I don't know the name of the side road.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If Atlanta leaves Disney, what teams will there be in Central Florida/Orlando?  I'm thinking none and I am not driving across the state to watch baseball.

I drive to Melbourne/Palm Bay regularly so I am very familiar with 520!

As for spring teams in central Florida does Lakeland or Viera count?

Viera is close enough, and I'm gonna try to get to a game or 2 in March but with the Nationals moving to Palm Beach in 2017, I'm wondering if another MLB team is gonna set up in Viera.  Which granted would be cool. Viera is 40 miles as the crow flies and I think The Braves at Disney is 40 in the other direction. 

Lakeland is a couple hours away.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So three (?) players have taken the QO this season Brett Anderson (Dodgers) Colby Rasmus (Astros) and Matt Wieters (Orioles)

Still bathing in the reflected glory of my Royals' World Championship (wow: still taken aback that I can write that), which is salving the reflected hurt on behalf of Alex Gordon, who -- despite the injury -- still played an inning or 2 more than the AL left field Gold Glove winner.  Really, awards folks? 

One of 2 of my favorite postseason snarks was a Noah-meme ("Hey Noah, if you want to see the trophy, you can come look at it from 60'6"..").  I'm sure to find somewhere -- I haven't yet -- some reference to the Norse God-as-Thug for the "Something up my sleeve" promise and that pitch to Esky.  I know it must be out there because so many people branded Royals pitchers with that label, and, all things being fair...

My top-favorite postseason snark was in the Twitter feed of a KC reporter on Oct 31st: 

Tuning into ESPN for the Mets thoughts on the Mets, the analysts thoughts on the Mets, and the Royals thoughts on the Mets

Edited by gutette1

That supposed gold glover you are talking about--- He played soccer in the Outfield during the WS right?

I thought that was the jokiest thing about the Gold Glove winners.  THe second jokiest thing was the NL Gold glove winner for RF.

Of Course I could be biased and just wanted my favorite player to win it.

• Love 1

I drive to Melbourne/Palm Bay regularly so I am very familiar with 520!

As for spring teams in central Florida does Lakeland or Viera count?

Didn't the Braves just move to Disney??  If they leave now, that would be...ridiculous!  

Lakeland definitel counts as central Florida.  As for Viera, it's the only Spring Training stadium we haven't been to.  Even when we were in Ft Lauderdale, it was a reeeeally long drive, and since it was the Marlins, we just weren't interested.  By the time the Nats got there, the O's had moved west and the drive was even longer, so...no thanks.   I realize it's not a bad drive from Orlando, but ... nah.

They've been at Disney for close to 20 years.

Space Coast Stadium in Viera is nothing to write home about but it's easily accessible from I-95 and is in a great location with lots of nearby restaurants.  The only downside is there's a high school right across the street so if the game ends at the time school gets out traffic is a nightmare.

They've been at Disney for close to 20 years.

Space Coast Stadium in Viera is nothing to write home about but it's easily accessible from I-95 and is in a great location with lots of nearby restaurants.  The only downside is there's a high school right across the street so if the game ends at the time school gets out traffic is a nightmare.

20 years???  Where does the time go...  I'm sitting here laughing at how I thought it was less than 10.  Oy vey. :-)

• Love 1

The best thing I learned today - after the AA Rays affiliate left Disney, they moved to Alabama and became the Montgomery Biscuits.  

I love biscuits.  Maybe I'll try to get a t-shirt...

• Love 1

Sometimes I wonder how some of the MiLB affliates get there names.

For new team names, it's through marketing firms like Brandiose.

When the San Francisco Giants AA affiliate relocated from Connecticut to Virginia, it knew who to call. In late 2009, the team announced that it would be renamed the Richmond Flying Squirrels. Because the real-life version of their new mascot wasn’t exactly ubiquitous in the Old Dominion State, Parnell knew the concept was risky. To Brandiose, that made it worth trying. The team’s primary logo, maybe the company’s most famous, looks like Alvin the Chipmunk on a cocktail of Mountain Dew Kickstart and growth hormone. Klein said that in 2010 the Flying Squirrels sold the most merchandise in the minors.

Am I the only one waiting anxiously to hear if Heyward signs with the Cardinals?  Yes?  Ok then.

Dusty Baker was named the manager in Washington. Thoughts, Nats fans?

As a Cardinals fan, I had a natural dislike for Dusty Baker.  The La Russa/Baker bad blood bled into the Reds when Baker managed there.  Having said that, I grew to like him during the post-season coverage.  He's so much easier to like when the toothpick is out of his mouth, and his small child isn't running wild around home plate.

Question:

With all these awards handed out on MLB Network, is there no Banquet or Ceremony where all the players and the league get together to receive them?

Or are they all mailed to them?

There is usually a dinner. I remember last year, Kershaw attended the day after his daughter was born. All of the this week's awards are handed out then, plus a few others. The Gold Glove dinner was last week. I think both are in NYC. 

Dancing through the thread doing the New Kids on the Block Right Stuff dance.

NL MVP: BRYCE HARPER Heck Yeah. Unanimous decision.

Our little Mets Friend who played soccer in OF during the WS finished 13th. 

I'll be back with the AL one later, maybe.

AL: Josh Donaldson with 23 First place votes, Mike Trout received the other 7.

Dancing out of the thread.

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 1

For the record I really hate Bryce Harper as he comes across as a total dick to me.

I completely agree . But that said I do think he probably deserved MVP and I sided with him during the choking incident. Mainly because I hate Jonathan Papelbon way more.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2

I think Bryce is great and part of the problem is an over-awareness of his every move because he's "young" and "immature." He's taken the high road in a lot of instances where he could have acted like a brat and has given credit to his competitors. I also just find him ridiculously endearing at times. The irony of him not wanting to answer a question so the answer wouldn't turn into a "meh-meh" and then that answer turning into a, well, meme? Pretty ace. 

Long story short, I'm super excited he won MVP. It won't be his last!