Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

This is the third-most fun I've ever had at a regular season game.  2 grand slams in one inning!! 

Those are fun, aren't they? Years ago, when I worked for the newspaper on Long Island, we flew to Chicago and took a bunch of folks (40+) from an ad agency to see the Mets and Cubs at Wrigley Field. My first time at Wrigley, a million degrees, sitting under the scoreboard in the bleachers, and the Mets hit two slams in one inning.  After the second one, there was a 20 minute delay while the ushers cleaned up all the crap that got thrown onto the field.  I did my best not to gloat...

• Love 1

Question for any Braves fans out there . . .  has attendance been dropping lately? I know that the team isn't at its best, but it looks dire at Turner Field. And as a Mets fan that hated John Rocker and Larry "Chipper" Jones back in the day, I have to say that it makes me smile. Sorry.

Attendance has always been a problem in Atlanta except for the first few glory years in the 1990's.  I haven't lived in Atlanta in more than 20 years now but I do know that the pointyball game that I despise is and always will be king.  Hardly anyone showed up to Hawks games until they had a successful season last year and I think Atlanta may be the only city that lost two different NHL franchises.  It's a great city, very diverse and dynamic and world class, but not really a sports town.

Group question: What's the closest you've gotten to see a no-hitter? I forget the season, but I remember Dwight Gooden pitching one of those for seven innings. Then he homered in the bottom of the inning. Bad move . . . he was so jacked up about it, he lost the no-no in the eighth.

A cracked shoulder blade, and only miss a week?  Wow. That sounds mighty painful.

I don't think any game I've went to was a no hitter.

I was supposed to meet friends and go to the Dodger/ Cardinals game way back in 1990, when Fernando Valenzuela threw his no-hitter.  I had to work late and GAVE MY TICKET AWAY.  King of Birds... idiot at large.

I think I was at one Red Sox game in the 80s and Clemens had a no-hitter til the 8th and then imploded.  Not only gave up a hit, but it was a HR I think, and so he blew a shut-out.

Between the Washington Nats meltdown against the Mets, Drew Storen  breaking his hand in anger and the whole clown show that is the football team, has any city had a weirder month than what's going in Washington?

So today's ballpark experience was exactly the opposite of yesterday's.  Three hour rain delay.  Four hour game that we lost 14-6.  And, they stopped selling beer almost as soon as the game actually started...something about a 3 hour rule.  Sigh...  

The giveaway scarf is cute.  So that's ... something.

As far as no-hitters - I saw Wilson Alvarez no-hit the O's at Memorial Stadium in 1991.  Yes, we were all cheering for him at the end.  I feel like I saw Mike Boddicker and Mike Mussina pitch near-no-hitters, but I can't remember the details at the moment.  

It's official.. . the Mets have had their best season in years. They cracked 81 wins for the first time since 2008, doing better than Grantland and Sports Illustrated had predicted.. Their magic number to clinch is down to 12. And right now, they're in a virtual tie for the second seed with the Dodgers. You gotta believe!

ETA: Got inspired to spelunk through ESPN's stats. Turns out the Mets won the season series against the Dodgers, 4-3.

• Love 1

Between the Washington Nats meltdown against the Mets, Drew Storen  breaking his hand in anger and the whole clown show that is the football team, has any city had a weirder month than what's going in Washington?

The Redskins always amuse me.  I grew up in Pennsylvania and prefer the Eagles to the Redskins.  Our area of Virginia covers the Redskins as the "home" team and everyone around here is either a Redskins, Dallas, or Pittsburgh fan. I always get giddy when the newscasters talk about yet another Redskins loss.

I'm wondering if Storen breaking his hand will be the end of him in DC.  Every year the Nationals have that one relief pitcher who statistically is considered good, but is so darn inconsistent that he just stinks up the place all season.  There was Rodriguez followed by Soriano, and now Jansen and Storen.  Even Clippard had his moments when he was in DC.  I'm hoping that they get the bullpen gets their act together and that everyone stays healthy next year.

Was slightly amused in Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday.  I walked past the clearance aisle and the Atlanta Braves Tervis Tumblers were on clearance.  They were the only MLB tumblers on clearance.

• Love 1

Dear FoxSports baseball announcers:

1.  They weren't booing.  It was Royals fans yelling "Moo-ooo-oo-se!!"

2.  Thanks for calling him PerrEZ.  Announcers who say "PAIRez", make us nuts.

Actually PAIRez would be the proper Spanish pronunciation since unless otherwise noted the emphasis always falls on the second to last syllable, and the "E" in Spanish is more like a long "A" in English.

Otherwise I still hate Fox baseball.

The Redskins always amuse me.  I grew up in Pennsylvania and prefer the Eagles to the Redskins.  Our area of Virginia covers the Redskins as the "home" team and everyone around here is either a Redskins, Dallas, or Pittsburgh fan. I always get giddy when the newscasters talk about yet another Redskins loss.

I'm wondering if Storen breaking his hand will be the end of him in DC.  Every year the Nationals have that one relief pitcher who statistically is considered good, but is so darn inconsistent that he just stinks up the place all season.  There was Rodriguez followed by Soriano, and now Jansen and Storen.  Even Clippard had his moments when he was in DC.  I'm hoping that they get the bullpen gets their act together and that everyone stays healthy next year.

Was slightly amused in Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday.  I walked past the clearance aisle and the Atlanta Braves Tervis Tumblers were on clearance.  They were the only MLB tumblers on clearance.

I've had this feeling lately (will since the early oo's) that the Washington tagline should be "Welcome to Washington where great athletes come to kill their careers"

• Love 1
Actually PAIRez would be the proper Spanish pronunciation since unless otherwise noted the emphasis always falls on the second to last syllable, and the "E" in Spanish is more like a long "A" in English.

Yes, familiar with that.  But it's not how the man in question pronounces his own last name.  I'm thinking, that should count for something.

I went out and missed most of the end of the Mets/Braves game. I wound up leaving the station on SNY before I left home, so I was able to rewind to see the Mets' ninth inning comeback. Down by three, down to their last out, down to their last strike, and they rallied back thanks to an error, walk, and three-run homer from Daniel Murphy. One inning and three runs later, they win, driving their magic number to 11.

• Love 1

Condolences to Braves fans for having to endure supporting such a godawful team. I've hated the Braves for a long time, but this year's model is too pathetic to waste strong feelings on. I didn't appreciate how truly bad they were until this weekend's series with NY. Today's game was unbelievable. As the Mets announcers said, it was a case of a team that just can't win going up against one that just can't lose. As a longtime Mets fan, let's just say I can empathize with what Braves fans are experiencing. Only a couple of more weeks to go. Hang on. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed the fact that the Nationals at least won today.

Note to the Marlins 2nd baseman (that was what he was supposed to be playing right?):

Get off the tracks when the train is coming through.

That seriously dampened my enthusiasm of the game today.

Re the name Perez...it's pronounced PEH-rez in espanol but the spanish name I totally cringe at when pronounced is Jimenez. Granted, there haven't been too many with that name who've made any impact on the game but it is not pronounced HIM-i-nez, (I'm looking at you Suzyn Waldman of YES) it's hee-MEH-nes. Please say it correctly. I don't want to be the grammar/pronunciation police but that really irritates me.

Well at least the Yanks avoided the sweep. 

CC next vs Tampa, We will see which CC shows up. Then my boy Adam Warren starts so I wonder how he will fare in his first start in quite a while. 

If I hadn't known New York was traveling today I would have thought they were at Yankee Stadium based on the noise of the crowd. The Yankees sure do travel well to Tampa don't they?

It amuses me that the Rays music director played "Hey Joe" when Girardi collected CC from the mound.

If I hadn't known New York was traveling today I would have thought they were at Yankee Stadium based on the noise of the crowd. The Yankees sure do travel well to Tampa don't they?

This goes back several years, but I remember reading once that you could buy round trip airfare from NY to Tampa, plus a ticket for the game, for less money than a field-level seat at Yankee Stadium.  And of course, there's always all the NY retirees who have migrated to Florida to add to the crowd.

The Red Sox are also a huge draw, almost always outnumbering Rays fans.

This goes back several years, but I remember reading once that you could buy round trip airfare from NY to Tampa, plus a ticket for the game, for less money than a field-level seat at Yankee Stadium.  And of course, there's always all the NY retirees who have migrated to Florida to add to the crowd.

Including a certain deceased owner.

• Love 1

The Ranger fans were still partying about the Cowboys win maybe?

But you're right- Texas/Houston (and ugh- Angels) is one of the interesting divisions coming down to the wire.

I'd even pull for the Twins ... the oddest wild card team out there - but I do NOT want the WC game to be Yankees vs Twins, because the Twins haven't beaten the Evil Ones in a meaningful game in FOREVER.  Or ever?

So the last gasp for the SF Giants 7 games behind the WC race; the Cubs have a brutal 7 game matchup with the Pirates followed by the Cards. Giants have to win and hope the Cubs stumble, long shot and all. Seems they have seen the last of Joe Panik and Hunter Pence for the season, but this next week of games will tell the story.

Pirates overtaking the Cards would be interesting.

Of course Cubs overtaking both of them would be , well, more than interesting.

The Cubs stumbling may be a longshot, but they're facing a century's worth of bad memories. As opposed to the Mets, who are only second-tier jinxed. Part of me expects the other shoe to drop sooner rather than later, even thought their magic number to clinch the division is down to 10.

Thanks for the link, mojoween!

So the last gasp for the SF Giants 7 games behind the WC race; the Cubs have a brutal 7 game matchup with the Pirates followed by the Cards. Giants have to win and hope the Cubs stumble, long shot and all. Seems they have seen the last of Joe Panik and Hunter Pence for the season, but this next week of games will tell the story.

Pirates overtaking the Cards would be interesting.

Of course Cubs overtaking both of them would be , well, more than interesting.

I would not be interested in that AT ALL.  :)

• Love 2

Only 27,000 people to watch Texas and Houston fight for the lead in the division?

I'll be there tonight, perhaps attendance will be better?

But you're right- Texas/Houston (and ugh- Angels) is one of the interesting divisions coming down to the wire.

Rangers overtook the Astros yesterday, making them a whole .5 ahead, time for them to start bouncing back and forth on the lead?  They play another series against each other before September's over too!

Mets lose two in a row, and they sacrifice two games to the Nationals. Time to panic? I mean, a collapse from 9 1/2 games ahead would be the ultimate kick to the nuts, wouldn't it? Here's hoping they can shrink the magic number by stomping on the Yankees.

• Love 2

LOL it's funny to see Lantern and the (what should be) silent fears, exposed for all on PTV to indulge in.  YES, it's time to panic! Why wait til the last week when the Nats are only a game behind?

But on the other hand, the entire year for the Yankees has been sleight of hand. That team is just prime to crumble. And boy, the Rangers kicked some Astro ass huh?

Group question: What's the closest you've gotten to see a no-hitter? I forget the season, but I remember Dwight Gooden pitching one of those for seven innings. Then he homered in the bottom of the inning. Bad move . . . he was so jacked up about it, he lost the no-no in the eighth.

When I was in college, I got to see Carlos Zambrano's no-hitter at Miller Park, which was an amazing, and completely surreal experience.  I'm a die-hard Cubs fan who was going to college in Milwaukee, and that year because of Hurricane Ike, the Cubs had to play the Astros at Miller Park, since Minute Maid Park was unavailable.  There were a TON of Cubs fans in attendance, and for all of Carlos Zambrano's problems (and he had many), seeing him get that no hitter was amazing.  

I would say it's the best Cubs game I've ever been to, but I also happened to be at the Cubs/Sox game where Michael Barrett punched AJ Pierzinski in the face.  THAT is the best Cubs game I've ever been to.  And now I will stop speaking about them, lest I jinx them for the rest of the year.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

I would say it's the best Cubs game I've ever been to, but I also happened to be at the Cubs/Sox game where Michael Barrett punched AJ Pierzinski in the face.  THAT is the best Cubs game I've ever been to.  And now I will stop speaking about them, lest I jinx them for the rest of the year.

This would make any game the best game ever!  We were at a game in Minneapolis a couple of years ago, and as AJ came to the plate, a guy about 10 rows behind us yelled "AJ - nobody likes you!!!"  Which is so "polite Minneapolis" and has become our catchphrase whenever AJ comes to bat.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 2

Geez, New York fans usually aren't even that polite to players they do like.

I did love the signs a pair of Met fans at Citi Field used to taunt Hunter Pence last season:

"Hunter Pence eats pizza with a fork

“Hunter Pence can’t parallel park

“Hunter Pence likes The Godfather III

"Hunter Pence puts ketchup on his hot dog

• Love 8

A coworker of mine left early yesterday and pretty much didn't tell anyone why (not that he has to) and as it turns out he and his wife drove over to St. Pete because the Orioles are in town for a four game series against the Rays and the O's are his team.  Good for him.  He's off today and I suspect they're making a weekend out of it.

• Love 3