Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Well, if the Jasson Dominguez torn UCL doesn't just tie a bow around this entire POS Yankees' season, I don't know what does.

I feel so bad for the kid. Twenty years old; he gets to live his dream for about 10 days and then have it taken from him. At best, it takes at leat 12 months to rehab from TJS, so he's looking at September, 2024. 😥 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
39 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Position players do seem to come back quicker from TJ than pitchers, at least(the article on MLB.com claimed the average is 9-10 months).

I know it's possible, although I'll admit I'm not seeing the glass as half-full when it comes to the Yankees overall right now. 😒

I saw the post-game group interview with Dominguez on YT and Suzyn Waldman asked him the exact question I wanted to hear, "Have you talked to Gleyber yet?" specifically because of what you said above. He's a position player who's gone through TJS. The answer was no, but it was right after the game so there probably hadn't been time for that yet. I'm sure Gleyber will reach out to Jasson. (As he's in his sixth MLB season, people forget that Gleyber's only 26 himself!)

Having this injury come hot on the heels of the Severino injury, has just gutted me. Laugh at me if you want, but Sevy is my favorite of these Yankees and I've never given up on him. That interview last night where he was in such terrible physical pain and then seeing him get so emotional as he knows he probably had thrown his last pitch for the only organization he's ever known was absolutely heartbreaking.  💔 

I had given up on this season by early June, when I was calling, both here and elsewhere, for the team to be sellers at the deadline, so I was under no illusions that they were going to make some magic run for a WC slot. I was just enjoying the way the team was playing baseball since the injection of young players and obviously, Jason Dominguez was leading the pack.

I'm expecting them to be swept at Fenway, anything else would be a nice surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Still finishing watching Old-Timers Day (look it was two hours long, I cannot devote that much attention to one thing for that long) and I have to wonder - HOW does a quadzillion dollar company have such shitty audio equipment?  

• Wink 1

I'm not a Yankees fan but it's a shame Severino has had so many problems with injuries. I remember seeing him early on and he impressed me.

I love running but I suck at it, and no matter what I did, would get tendinitis. I would let it heal and then try again, get hurt again. It was 10 years before I gave up, and largely bc of the emotional roller coaster. I just couldn't take it anymore.

I think of that when these guys get chronic injuries, it must be so hard.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, DMK said:

Anybody else kind of tickled that new Cubs callup, Pete Crow-Armstrong is the son of the actress who played the mom in Little Big League?

https://x.com/mlblife/status/1701290799495864338?s=46&t=U_uJWkNrkk0NGLolg9nZNg

https://x.com/cubszone/status/1701444426243977312?s=46&t=U_uJWkNrkk0NGLolg9nZNg

(I couldn’t get the links to embed for some reason)

I think it's cool, would have been funnier if the Twins had called him up.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Preemptive strike - combined no-hitters are not a thing!

Yes, this is how I've always felt, too! All it means is that the hitters from the opposing team completely sucked that night, no matter who was on the mound. 😄

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 9/13/2023 at 12:34 PM, ProudMary said:

Nice. I hope he can get one more win for you, for all of his fans and obviously for himself. 

Thank you! You're so kind. It's the one potential bright spot left in our season.

NGL, I was in full playoff mode watching the game. Curled up on the couch, hands clasped under my chin, eyes squeezed shut every time the O's were up. It was the most stressed and then thrilled I've ever been about a regular season game. Marmol managed the bullpen like it was Game 7. The whole organization wants it for him so badly.

• Love 1

From the Athletic...

Shohei Ohtani’s locker was cleared out following the Los Angeles Angels’ 11-2 loss to the Detroit Tigers at home Friday. A fully packed All-Star Game duffel bag was sitting in front of it, and nearly all of his baseball gear and personal belongings were no longer in his locker.

The Angels declined to say if his roster status had changed, or what the reason was for the contents of his locker being removed.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Sad 1

I read that it's totally normal if he's out the rest of the season. Like high school, players clear out their lockers at the end of the year. But that won't stop the breathless reporting every time the guy moves.

So is he out now due to injury? Last I heard he was still DH-ing. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, cleo said:

So is he out now due to injury? Last I heard he was still DH-ing. 

Ohtani has been out for an oblique injury for a week and a half. They didn’t put him on the IL, kept him day to day, but the time period has now gone as long as an IL stint. 

I wonder, with the addition of Trout trading rumors that indicate a rebuild is forthcoming, if the Angels told him they don’t intend to play him anymore since he’s an impending free agent that is rather assuredly signing somewhere else, and that they want to give playing time to prospects. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

ebk I am super sorry about the game, but did you get to see your boyfriend?

Thanks.  The evening was fabulous if you leave out the actual game.  A bunch of his old teammates showed up, and there was a video tribute from a bunch of other old teammates, along with some of the current team.  His family was there.  It was quite lovely.  The weather was perfect.  

And then, the game started... ah well. 

We did rule out another section of seats for next year (we've been talking about upgrading our season seats).  At this point, we may just keep the seats we have because they're really fine...and relatively cheap. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

We did rule out another section of seats for next year (we've been talking about upgrading our season seats).  At this point, we may just keep the seats we have because they're really fine...and relatively cheap. 

Were you ever considering sitting in that section where they hose the crowd with water when there’s an extra base hit?

Just now, DMK said:

Were you ever considering sitting in that section where the the crowd with water when there’s an extra base hit?

Not a chance on this earth!  😄

Our seats now are upstairs behind home plate.  Just under cover and in the shade.  My ideal seats would be the first row of the terrace box seats (above the walkway on the lower deck), or the last row in the club seats (second level), both on the 3rd base side because - shade!

Last night we sat in the lower box seats just behind 3rd.  Waaaaay too much activity there between the restless patrons and the vendors blocking home plate.  No thanks.

• Like 3

officially out the rest of the season. This is almost certainly the end of his Angels career . They have never made the playoffs with him. In fact I believe they have only made the playoffs once with Trout. The fact that they had two of the best players in baseball and couldn't even slip into a wild card position is crazy.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, cleo said:

I read that it's totally normal if he's out the rest of the season. Like high school, players clear out their lockers at the end of the year. But that won't stop the breathless reporting every time the guy moves.

Sure, it's totally normal, but it's also normal for the team to make the announcement before everyone sees the empty locker, not afterwards. 

3 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

officially out the rest of the season. This is almost certainly the end of his Angels career . They have never made the playoffs with him. In fact I believe they have only made the playoffs once with Trout. The fact that they had two of the best players in baseball and couldn't even slip into a wild card position is crazy.

That's what happens when most of your big FA signings immediately suck/get injured the moment they appear in Anaheim (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Rendon).  Early on I think part of it was the legacy of watching juiced older guys like Bonds continue to be awesome through their mid-late 30s, so of course it's worth it to snag these over the hill guys and expect them to be like their younger selves. 

Anyone trading for Trout might face the same issue.  As awesome as he is, the man apparently cannot stay healthy for a full season and he's soon going to hit his decline phase (which may have already started, to be honest).  Is it worth it to absorb the remaining seven years and $260 million of his contract?

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

Sure, it's totally normal, but it's also normal for the team to make the announcement before everyone sees the empty locker, not afterwards. 

Sure fair enough, the Angels are a shitshow. I just personally get tired of the constant and never-ending media frenzy over Ohtani. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

We are talking about the organization that tolerates Rendon being a rude shit to the media. They clearly have control issues with their players. I’ve long thought that Trout has been insisting on playing center field even though with his recent injury proneness (not to mention his noodle arm) he would’ve been better served switching to left field years ago. 

Anyone trading for Trout might face the same issue.  As awesome as he is, the man apparently cannot stay healthy for a full season and he's soon going to hit his decline phase (which may have already started, to be honest).  Is it worth it to absorb the remaining seven years and $260 million of his contract?

I would imagine that a team with budget to spare and no superstar, it would be worth it for the butts in the seats Trout would garner. Plus, he can DH without having Ohtani in there hogging it. Giants come to mind as a team who fits this criteria. 

Edited by DMK
2 hours ago, shoregirl said:

As a Nationals fan,  when Bryce was there the Nationals never went to the World Series.  The season after he left the won the World Series.   One man doesn't make a team.  Not even 2 make a team.

I get SO's appeal, but never got Trouts.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

One man doesn't make a team.  Not even 2 make a team.

So true. WAR value shows this very well. Someone is considered to have had an all-time great season if their WAR value is 10 or more, and very few players have accomplished this. A 10 WAR is just roughly 6% of the 162 game schedule each team plays.

• Useful 1

LA Times beat reporter.

Also, I don't have a link for this, but I'm watching tonight's Yankees/Pirates game, and Michael Kay mentioned that Ohtani was expected to make the final road trip of the season with the team. 

Both of these reports seem odd in light of the fact that his locker is bare and there's the report of him yesterday at a Japanese airport. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Both of these reports seem odd in light of the fact that his locker is bare and there's the report of him yesterday at a Japanese airport. 🤷‍♀️

He's still an Angel through the end of the season, and since he's not playing, he doesn't need to have anything in his locker. Not sure about the Japanese airport report - could be a false identification, or he's doing a quick trip. The appeal of the west coast teams to him was always the relative proximity to Japan compared to the rest of the mainland U.S.

• Like 2