Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

The Mets are playing an afternoon game on Memorial Day. If I get up early enough, maybe I'll make it out to Citi Field for the first time in years. I haven't seen the rotunda they put up celebrating baseball history. Any fellow Mets fans have feedback on good seats, eats, etc.? And yeah, I'm thinking of going at a later date in order to catch one of the younger bucks on the mound, since I'm thinking Jon Niese would be on the hill that Monday. Or maybe I should hold out for Bartolo Colon. His at-bats are fun to watch.

I'm not a Mets fan but I have been to Citi Field.  We had seats a few rows up along the right field line and I recall there being an odd angle when looking toward home.  I didn't care for the stadium as something about it felt off.

We had seats a few rows up along the right field line and I recall there being an odd angle when looking toward home. 

If you haven't been to Fenway, this is the same experience. You face the CF bleachers and look over your shoulder towards home plate.

And his explanation made me laugh, because he was basically saying the ump told him to get back in the box, but he didn't, and then argued about it, but why should he be ejected?

I hate to jump in an argument I know zilch about, but the short clip I saw, Harper stepped out when the ump decided to turn to the Nats bench and yell. So who was the bonehead? 

Answer: both of 'em.  But the ump threw only ONE idiot out of the game.

• Love 1

I'm reconsidering going to Citi Field on Monday. The following Saturday, the Mets will have a 4 p.m. game. I can get up at a decent hour, do a few chores, then go to Flushing, and get back before 10. They're giving away beach towels . . . I don't remember the last time I hit a beach, but it is a nice incentive.

ETA: There's another day game next Wednesday. I think Jacob deGrom would be pitching if he gets five days' rest.

• Love 1

Hahaha baseball is not so fun if you're a Dodgers fan and the Giants are anywhere near your team.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Mike & Mike in the Morning, but every week or so Jayson Stark is on the phone and he does a trivia question. I like to play along at home and I IM a friend at work the question and he tries to get it too.

This morning Buster Olney was co-hosting and Jayson did his trivia. The question was - "Besides Miguel Cabrera, there are four active players who have led the league in HR's multiple times. Name the four players."

I won't give the answer in case anyone wants to try to get it, but I was highly amused because Buster got it wrong. Mike Greenberg, the host, had three right but Buster talked him out of the fourth answer and he picked the wrong guy.

Now I like Buster, I've never had an issue other than he constantly tweets articles he's written that you have to be a paid ESPN Insider to read, but I still think it's funny that a baseball guy didn't know the answer.

(edited)

Now, do you mean AL & NL leader, or just overall MLB leader? 

I'm avoiding the itch to look it up, off the top of my head I thought of Bautista and Pujols and ARod. And then I'm stuck.

eta: Ah, I looked it up, would not have thought of the 4th.

Edited by King of Birds

I hate to jump in an argument I know zilch about, but the short clip I saw, Harper stepped out when the ump decided to turn to the Nats bench and yell. So who was the bonehead?

Answer: both of 'em.  But the ump threw only ONE idiot out of the game.

I've watched this clip with my family a dozen times, and it cracks us up every time. The ump threw him out after he told Harper to get back in the batter's box so they can play ball, and Bryce defiantly put just one toe inside the box. When the ump made a "that's it!" gesture, or maybe he even said something, Harper tried to hurry inside the batter's box. But it was too late--the ump had already ejected him.

The kids laugh the loudest because it's something they would do--and they know it's completely unacceptable.

I just saw the clip and the announcers made me laugh with their "Bryce was just showing the ump where he was standing when the ump unecpectedly threw him out" nonsense. Parents everywhere recognize a defiant toddler when they see one.

As to Bryce's lovely "they didn't come to watch him ump" comment, the announcers essentially said that one as well. Talk about homers.

• Love 2

While I never got over the fact that I felt the Yankees made a huge mistake signing Johnson and I never forgave him for the DBacks WS win, anyone who hangs out with Geddy Lee is a-ok in my book.

• Love 1

I'm a little torn. I'm still thinking about going to see the Mets on Saturday, but I don't have a job, and the tickets are a little pricey. Also, Jonathan Niese will be pitching, and he's not Bartolo Colon or one of the young bucks.

I'm a little torn. I'm still thinking about going to see the Mets on Saturday, but I don't have a job, and the tickets are a little pricey. Also, Jonathan Niese will be pitching, and he's not Bartolo Colon or one of the young bucks.

Have you looked on Goldstar? They normally have some good deals on Mets tickets and likely will this weekend since it's a Marlins series. If not, I've gotten some good deals on StubHub as well. If you're into it, you can get a cheap upper deck ticket and spend a few innings in the SRO section on the field level. I've gone to a few games at Citi where I didn't even commit to one spot for long! 

If you're into it, you can get a cheap upper deck ticket and spend a few innings in the SRO section on the field level. I've gone to a few games at Citi where I didn't even commit to one spot for long! 

I used to do that at the old Fulton County stadium-- buy a cheap general admission ticket and then go sit anywhere.  This was in the ultra sparse crowd days prior to the Braves' 1991 season.

I used to do that at the old Fulton County stadium-- buy a cheap general admission ticket and then go sit anywhere.  This was in the ultra sparse crowd days prior to the Braves' 1991 season.

Unfortunately, it's hard to actually sit anywhere else since they make you show your ticket to get into the field level sections. But Citi has a lot of SRO space (with cupholders, even!) so that if you don't mind standing, you can get a nice view for cheap. 

• Love 1

Right now, I don't have my credit card. I was going to go to the box office and get a ticket . . . which I'm guessing is not the smartest thing I could do.

Speaking of not smart . ..  right now, the Mets are up 5-0 on the Phillies. I just saw Noah Syndergaard -- one of the Mets' phenom pitchers -- hit a home run. Looks like I might have picked the wrong game to hit.

A question for Mariners fans...How do you all feel about Cano now that you have had him for a while? Yankee fan here and Cano fan as well. I wasn't upset he left NY and I'm not a fan who can't imagine anyone not wanting to play for the Yanks. Wish he had stayed but what can you do?/

Looked at his stats just now and they aren't that special but it's still early. Do folks/media criticize the signing, or even Robby himself?

Inquiring minds want to know. 

Re Mets. I was at Citi a couple weeks ago ( a friend has season tkts) when Noah pitched and he was great. And he impressed with the bat, Long deep warning track power and he can bunt, Impressive.

I like Citi Field.

I was a Mets fan in the 80's (it's why my kitty is named Mookie) but changed to the Yanks in the early 90's (silly girls who do what their BF's do) but damn I might switch back just to root for a pitcher named Thor.

• Love 3

I always hated the Mets, since 1969. Now that I'm older and sports don't completely consume me I am still a NYY fan but I don't hate the Mets anymore. Piazza changed that b/c I was always his fan. Mookie was the only Met I ever really liked before him because really, how could you not love him? And now David Wright is a guy I root for. What dumb luck that boy has. Hope he gets to come back.

Girl, Never change allegiance/devotion to your team. You can like others but you need to stay true to your first baseball love.

I've been a Met fan since I was just a little Moose - went to my first game at Shea in 1969.  Been to Citi half a dozen times, and it is a nice park. And Mojoween, we'll be glad to take you back.

• Love 1

Although I'm a Yankees fan, I'm the widow of a Mets fan, so I can't hate on them. It's been ten years, and it still feels weird watching a Subway Series game without him. Al least now I figure he has the best seat in the house. :(

• Love 9

Girl, Never change allegiance/devotion to your team. You can like others but you need to stay true to your first baseball love.

I'm guilty of this as well.  I grew up a Yankees fan, had a crush on Bucky Dent, and then when we moved to Atlanta from New York in my teens I switched my allegiances to the Braves and jumped on the "Yankees are the evil empire" bandwagon.  I don't think my father has ever forgiven me.

My whole family has been diehard Red Sox fans. My older sister brought a 6ft poster of Carlton Fisk to her dorm room (when we moved her in, that's how she 'claimed' a closet in the dorm room). Well, she moved around the country post-college in various jobs, then moved to Brooklyn in the late 90s. Met and married a Chicago guy, and they both turned to the dark side!  Yankee fans. I can't even fathom this. A Cubs fan and Red Sox fan, turned. It's been years, I still can't wrap my head around it.

Worse of course, is that my terrific niece and nephew are Yankees fans. Even now that they moved and live in Chicago. I found a Yankee wool snow cap, that I ... I ... I purchased (God help me) and sent my nephew for Christmas one year. My hard earned money, spent buying Yankee gear.

My other sister, still a stalwart Sox fan, has continued a hilarious back and forth - 25+ years now- with an old neighborhood friend (Yankees fan). Whenever the Yankees or Sox sweep the other, they mail a mini broom like this back and forth.  USPS making money from crazy baseball people.

• Love 5
and then when we moved to Atlanta from New York in my teens I switched my allegiances to the Braves and jumped on the "Yankees are the evil empire" bandwagon.  I don't think my father has ever forgiven me.

You mean he didn't disown you, Aim? lol

What's strange is that when I was a little kid I was a NYY fan because Hector Lopez (we're talking early/mid '60's) had the same first name as my dad so my kids' logic said I was a Yankee fan. Of course the team was horrible /mediocre during that decade but I seemed to like the game and I have rooted for various teams over the years up through the early '70's. One of those teams was the Red Sox. Yes, the Beantown Boys, go figure. The first World Series I remember distinctly was the 1967 Sox vs Cards. I was a big Yaz fan as well as Tony C. Plus I did remember something about the Cards beating NYY in 1964 so I couldn't root for them. 

Needless to say I haven't rooted for the Sox since the Bucky Dent year when we came back from a 14 game or whatever deficit. But I envy the die hard BoSox fans who still fill Fenway.

Just got home from a splendid day at Camden Yards - an actual, real, live single-admission doubleheader!  And the O's won game 2, so I left feeling great. There should be more mid-week, daytime doubleheaders!!

• Love 5
(edited)

In my house my Brooklyn born mom was the baseball fan, and it's because of her that we went to baseball games.  We were in LA, so that meant the Dodgers.  Except she was a hardcore Giants fan :)  Weird of course that both teams had left NY and gone to California.  

But there was no doubt when I moved to NYC that I'd back the National League Mets.  Continuity, baby.  In my mind I'm backing the REAL Giants and Dodgers.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Weird of course that both teams had left NY and gone to California.

The Giants were originally planning on moving to Minneapolis, but Walter O'Malley of the Dodgers convinced them to move to Los Angeles to keep the old Dodgers/Giants rivalry intact.

The Mets were expanded into New York in 1961 to replace the Dodgers and Giants, who had moved out in 1958.  That's why the Mets' uniform colors are Dodgers blue and Giants orange.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 4

Was it a rain out make up game or a true scheduled doubleheader?  Either way I'm jealous!!

Actually riot makeup games.  Originally supposed to start at 4pm, but last week they moved it up to 1pm, so I ditched work and went!  It's a good thing we have half-day Fridays at work during the summer, because that's about all I could deal with today...I just wanted to be watching more baseball,

• Love 2

In my house my Brooklyn born mom was the baseball fan, and it's because of her that we went to baseball games.  We were in LA, so that meant the Dodgers.  Except she was a hardcore Giants fan :)/quote]

My Brooklyn born and raised father was a die hard Yankees fan, much to the chagrin of my Dodgers loving grandparents!

ebk, snag any more bobbleheads while you were there?

Not this time.  The giveaway for this game was game 2! 

Next 'head game for me is this coming Thursday in DC.  I think it's Ryan Zimmerman.

On MASN, the local sports network for the O's and Nats, there's a show on Saturday afternoon (that I'm watching right now) called Wall to Wall Baseball where 3 guys discuss the Orioles for a couple of hours. One of my favorite segments was just on where they discuss the local circular for the Mars grocery stores. Yes, they show the circular and talk about what's on sale.  This week, strawberries are on sale.  Huge strawberries...   :-)

I have to love this because Mars keeps this show on all year, so I can hear people talking about my favorite team and my favorite sport in the dead of winter.  Thanks Mars!   

• Love 1

The Mets were expanded into New York in 1961 to replace the Dodgers and Giants, who had moved out in 1958.  That's why the Mets' uniform colors are Dodgers blue and Giants orange.

Yes, of course.  Although they don't work nearly as hard at keeping the Giants connection alive in New Yorkers' minds as they do the Dodger connection.  It's ridiculous how they hit you over the fucking head with the Jackie Robinson stuff.  DUDES.  You continue the National League legacy in NY.  Fine.  But Jackie Robinson was never a Met.

• Love 2

I am the king of bad decisions. I passed up games on Monday and Wednesday, when the Mets won both games. I figured the 4 p.m. game was more my speed. So what happened? Right . . . they lost, and I spent most of the game blinded by the sun, with only my free promotional towel to shield my eyes. Mark my words . . . tomorrow, Bartolo Colon will pitch a two-hit shutout and he'll lose his batting helmet while at the plate. Just watch.

I did get to explore the rotunda more thoroughly than when I last went in 2009. I understand why they don't let visitors in the area on non-game days . . . there's not much there. Sure, you have the Mets Hall of Fame and the two World Series trophies, but there wasn't much else there. Still a nice area.

As for the game? Never let it be said that the Mets don't keep it interesting. They were down by four runs, then they roared back to tie the Marlins in the fourth inning. The Marlins went up by two in the seventh, then put the game away with back-to-back homers in the ninth, including a second dinger from Giancarlo Staton. In the end, I couldn't tell if the "Lets Go Mets" chants near the end were sarcastic. Marlins won, 9-5

I spent too much money. I had to refill my Metrocard. Then I spent big on a seat in the sun. Remind me to ask about the shade on the third base side next time I think about going to Citi Field. I wound up overspending on food, including my first exposure to deep-fried Oreos. Nobody tell my nutritionist.

ratgirlagogo . . . I think the Mets resonated more with Brooklyn Dodgers fans. Or maybe the Dodgers were more mythical. Also, Jackie Robinson's number was retired, and I think it's the only time the Mets ever had a ceremony that was planned well in advance.

ETA: I saw an ad from the Brooklyn Cyclones in the program. They're going to have a second Seinfeld night on July 5. Now I'm thinking of taking a new trip.

ETA2: Here are my pics from today. I'll add descriptions later.

• Love 2

Yes, of course.  Although they don't work nearly as hard at keeping the Giants connection alive in New Yorkers' minds as they do the Dodger connection.  It's ridiculous how they hit you over the fucking head with the Jackie Robinson stuff.  DUDES.  You continue the National League legacy in NY.  Fine.  But Jackie Robinson was never a Met.

That's because team owner Fred Wilpon grew up in Brooklyn as a Dodger fan, and built Citi Field as a tribute to the team and Ebbets Field.

ETA: I saw an ad from the Brooklyn Cyclones in the program. They're going to have a second Seinfeld night on July 5. Now I'm thinking of taking a new trip.

Please, PLEASE go to the Seinfeld night game, if nothing else that so I can live vicariously through you.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Right . . . I forgot about Fred Wilpon's Ebbets Field hard-on. Heaven forbid they could refurnish Shea, as opposed to building a completely new park.

I was on my way to a writing meetup, and I heard on the radio that Bartolo Colon hit a RBI double. See what I mean about me being the king of bad decisions? Turns out he batted one past Ichiro, and he went into second standing up. And he kept his helmet on. I am pissed at myself for missing that.

BTW, how come people never refer to Ichiro's last name, Suzuki? It's always "Ichiro."

(edited)

Right . . . I forgot about Fred Wilpon's Ebbets Field hard-on. Heaven forbid they could refurnish Shea, as opposed to building a completely new park

Because building an entirely new and unnecessary park is a massive tax boondoggle. Exemplis gratis: the Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn.    This book is incredible, and incredibly depressing for any sports fan:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Schemes-Stadium-Swindle-Expanded/dp/0803260164/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433104586&sr=1-2

The section on Tiger Stadium is particularly good, and enraging. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Yes and seeing the one little boy scream "I love you!" at Cutch makes me smile each time I view the clip!

Ebk57, as our resident Orioles fan I thought of you today while watching the Rays vs. O's game as when they cut to commercial at one point Rays announcer Dewayne Staats gave the then score as Rays 2, Delmon Young 2.

(edited)

BTW, how come people never refer to Ichiro's last name, Suzuki? It's always "Ichiro."

The way I remember it(and I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me if I am)is that it started with Ichiro himself in Japan; he requested to have his first name on the back of his jersey since Suzuki is such a common last name.

ETA From Wikipedia:

It was during the 1994 season that he began to use his given name, "Ichiro", instead of his family name, "Suzuki", on the back of his uniform. Suzuki is the second most common family name in Japan, and his manager introduced the idea as a publicity stunt to help create a new image for what had been a relatively weak team, as well as a way to distinguish their rising star. Initially, Ichiro disliked the practice and was embarrassed by it; however, "Ichiro" was a household name by the end of the season and he was flooded with endorsement offers.

Edited by smittykins