Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, attica said:

Yankees sleep at Dulles.  Geez, last time I got stuck without a flight, I got a discount voucher to the Hyatt. This seems like somebody in the travel office was not up to snuff.

The article says that all the nearby hotels were full. 

Yeah, but an on-the-ball travel person would have had arrangements made before they filled up, is my point. Or moved them further out. Or something. Phoned a friend. Air BnB. Something! :)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, attica said:

Yeah, but an on-the-ball travel person would have had arrangements made before they filled up, is my point. Or moved them further out. Or something. Phoned a friend. Air BnB. Something! :)

Seems like they expected to be able to go. It looks like it was a perfect storm combination of bad weather and mechanical difficulties with the plane. 

I think I've finally figured out Didi's slump; he's the cover boy on the current issue of Yankees Magazine.(When they put Melky Cabrera on the cover, he'd been sent back down to the minors by the time the issue came out).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Aaron Judge has confirmed no HR Derby for him this year.  I get it, yet am still sad.

It will be interesting to see what Bryce Harper decides to do.

Bryce said last year, that if he was voted into the ASG he would participate.

Hanley was a bad contract especially with next year's vesting option. Moreland is a much better player. Not sorry that he was let go. 

mojoween, I just watched Judge throw a bullet to home plate to get an Angels runner. Perfect throw. But what was funny was the camera was on Judge afterwards and he was standing in front of an Arm & Hammer sign. Yeah, that's Judge.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Mike Trout is good at the baseball.  This kid has a real future ahead of him.

Yeah, I was at that game.  I've been to two Angels games at the stadium in recent years, and I don't think Trout has made an out yet.

Little known fact that he shares the same first name as Altuve*: "F%*&-ing".  

*At least in this household.

• Love 5

I learned from the NYC radio coverage of this game that the Angels are no longer the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - but just the Los Angeles Angels.  Come again - has Anaheim moved into Los Angeles County now somehow?

The city of Anaheim gave the team over $100 million for the stadium. So part of the lease of the stadium required "Anaheim" be in the official name. I know when Moreno bought the team, he was the one who wanted it to be LA Angeles (instead of Anaheim or California) so that's how the long clunky name started. He sued to not need to keep the Anaheim part and it either dragged on for eons and was dropped or he lost, I forget which. So it kept the clunky name for a handful of years. The lease was renogotiated last year and I guess he finally succeeded at getting the "Anaheim in the name" requirement removed, presumably for $$.

• Love 5

I hate when I have to watch a game on ESPN or Fox instead of my local sports network. Listening to ARod and Matt Vasgersian during a game makes me want to bash my head against a wall repeatedly. Had to switch to my local radio broadcast and mute the TV. They're having a hard time hiding their boners for the Cubs during this game.

• Love 3
On 5/27/2018 at 6:22 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Listening to ARod and Matt Vasgersian during a game makes me want to bash my head against a wall repeatedly.

I wanted to watch the Houston game today, but the announcers, also ESPN, were just disgusting with their Verlander fluffery, talking about his wedding and finally winning a Series and how good he is at 35 and he wants to still be pitching when he's 40.  All I could think about is my Mariners have managed in many one-run games to get to only one game behind the dreaded Astros in the AL West and these guys couldn't manage even a single Ms mention. 

Do these networks scour the Earth for the most droning one-note dolts they can find to put on national TeeVee? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, navelgazer said:

I wanted to watch the Houston game today, but the announcers, also ESPN, were just disgusting with their Verlander fluffery, talking about his wedding and finally winning a Series and how good he is at 35 and he wants to still be pitching when he's 40.  All I could think about is my Mariners have managed in many one-run games to get to only one game behind the dreaded Astros in the AL West and these guys couldn't manage even a single Ms mention. 

Do these networks scour the Earth for the most droning one-note dolts they can find to put on national TeeVee? 

Those weren’t ESPN announcers, that was the Houston feed, ESPN was just using their broadcast.

But even if they were the ESPN broadcasters, it was Astros vs Yankees, why would they talk about the Mariners when they weren’t playing in that game?

• Love 3

1. I noticed uniforms were darker this past weekend. Did I miss something?

2. Mets now have eleven players on the Disabled List. Eleven. Aren't there trainers that would have to take the fall at this point?

3. Mets up 6-3. Me: "Braves have the bases loaded. They're probably going to tie it." I do stuff, come back to the TV . . . and yep, 6-6. #FudgeMyLife

• Love 1

The unis this weekend had green where there are normally other colors for Memorial Day.

Like the Yankees blue interlocking NY and the “Angels” across the shirt were also green.  Is that what you noticed?

52 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The unis this weekend had green where there are normally other colors for Memorial Day.

Like the Yankees blue interlocking NY and the “Angels” across the shirt were also green.  Is that what you noticed?

They also wore olive drab undershirts, caps and socks as part of a tribute to the military for Memorial Day.  Not a great color for baseball unis, but the sentiment was a good one.

With all that dreadful defense, it astonishes me that the Ys won the game. Geez, it was hard to watch. 

OTOH, Paul O'Neill really has improved as an analyst. He used to spend (what I thought was) too much time yukking it up with the folksy-wolksy nonsense, but he's gotten crisper and sharper as he focuses on the on-field stuff.. He discussed specifically  what was wrong with Didi's swing the other night. The following night, Didi got 2 hits. 

• Love 1
On 5/27/2018 at 10:46 PM, Lantern7 said:

Once again: get all of the holy people to Citi Field to cleanse the team.

Lantern, your wish may be coming true. Reports of a fire at Citi Field.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, at least the Mets weren't home. I can imagine the headlines.

Big one: "NOAH'S DARK!"

Underneath: "Freak Fire Burns 'Thor's' Pretty, Pretty Face, Hair"

Underneath that: "Yank Fans Shrug, Wonder Whether to Call Kids 'Aaron' Or 'Judge'"

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was sitting at BDubs waiting for trivia night to start and the Cincinnati/ Arizona game was on.

If someone sneezed in the stands on the third base side, a fan on the first base side would have said “bless you.”  Not a big draw for games at 3 pm Arizona time on a Wednesday?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

So I have this coworker, who is rabidly pro-Red Sox, and is constantly needling me about some travesty or other he perceives on the part of Anything Yankee, because it's guilt by association or something.. (I mostly ignore him, because pffff.) The other day, he came up to me, and gravely congratulated me. Because Yankee Stadium fans booed Rudy Giuliani. He viewed that as a noble act of the fandom. Didn't matter I wasn't at the game, I got credit by association.  Who says there won't be peace in our time?

• Love 11

@attica . . . haven’t Yankee fans been sick of Rudy? Being “America’s Mayor” and constantly giving the team “mouth present” can only placate the fan base for so long. I’ll understand if you neglected to tell your friend that detail. ?

• Love 2
(edited)

I think many of us NYers are just plain disgusted with Rudy. He has always been a total shit and a bully.  I wish he would have gotten hit with a foul ball off of Judge at an exit velo of "off the charts". I truly loathe him as a human being.

Ok then...

The horrible Orioles are in town tonight for 4 games. Sonny Gray pitching tonight and I figure the O's will probably make mince meat out of him. But my boy Austin Romine will have to carry him through. Seriously the Yanks should beat them handily but you never know.  Tarp on the field now. It's been a rainy-ish kind of day and some thunder boomers may come in. 

I ama bad fan. I thought it was at Yankee stadium. My bad. I was refering to my schedule pull out from the newspaper and I didn't catch the "away" shading. Still, Balto weather not much different from Bronx.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Another. Friggin’. Postponement.

What the hell.  

Although it does sound like Baltimore has been a difficult place to be lately with the weather.  Is @ebk57 ok?

Weather-wise, I'm terrible.  I'll be totally pruned by the time it stops raining.   Team-wise... maybe it can keep raining for the rest of the summer. 

Seriously, Ellicott City is about 15 miles north of my house.  It's a long way, and yet, not that far.  And the second time in two years they've had the Thousand Year Flood.  Ugh.  

Thanks for asking.  I appreciate it. 

• Love 2

It was definitely a terrible contract but it might be a better alternative than bringing up two boots from AAA. I may be misremembering but I don’t think the Red Sox farm system has any good players. 

More rain in Baltimore!  It sucks for the Yankees, but all you poor residents, it has to be overwhelming and draining.

In other New York news, is “Mets fall 7-1 in 14 innings” a real headline or an Onion one?

• Love 1

Last year when my mother and I were in Baltimore for the Astros game, Marwin Gonzalez hit a homer onto Eutaw Street and we’d gotten a picture of the sharpie marking of it. 

FB18943C-627C-4E86-9B4A-96BBC0758878.thumb.jpeg.fd47bafae28bf437a0cee3cef813a81c.jpeg

So my mother is up there now for a high school reunion and was at yesterday’s game against the Yankees and I told her to get a picture of Marwin’s medallion. 

44558BA3-9989-4FED-A63C-2C791F9BB28F.thumb.jpeg.447024eebee264df5c2ef9eaba47de4f.jpeg

Also, one of her friends that lives up there is very big into crocheting and made this for my mother (it was also her birthday):

8A8DEA87-78A1-4CC5-BE7C-738002582017.thumb.jpeg.401dfca1a722d7a730730a6060632fc0.jpeg

• Love 8