Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

46 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I just realized that the Yanks now have three Tylers on the active roster(Austin, Wade, and Webb).  

Heh a few years ago the Rockies were loaded with Matts and 4 of them were relief pitchers so it became the Mattpen.

• Love 1

Awwwwwww. Maybe it was an Atlanta thing, and he would've stayed healthy and won at least a dozen games for the Mets. Seriously, how does a guy that old and heavy stay in the game?

And now I'm concerned about R.A. Dickey. How has he been lately?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Maybe it was an Atlanta thing, and he would've stayed healthy and won at least a dozen games for the Mets.

Given all their young guys ended up on the DL, maybe the old guy would have fared better.

8 hours ago, smittykins said:

I just realized that the Yanks now have three Tylers on the active roster(Austin, Wade, and Webb).  

1 hour ago, prican58 said:

Tyler Clippard.

And this mother of a Tyler thinks it's both awesome and also reminds her why personalized gewgaws at novelty shops are often sold out on the Tyler racks.

Last year I went through my son's senior yearbook and counted twelve Tylers in his class.

• Love 2
(edited)

So it'a a package deal now?  The Yankees lose a game AND a player?

I also feel badly that I am SO Yankee-centric that I had never heard the name Trea Turner before in my life and apparently he's an important cog in the Nationals machine.

Edited by mojoween

I just want to state that I do not care about baseball the way I used to . . . and more importantly, I did not wish immediate and extreme harm on the Yankees, especially to a guy who never even got an at-bat. That is friggin' cruel.

(edited)
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

So it'a a package deal now?  The Yankees lose a game AND a player?

I also feel badly that I am SO Yankee-centric that I had never heard the name Trea Turner before in my life and apparently he's an important cog in the Nationals machine.

Well yes he is considering his stolen base count for the year is more then at least 6 other teams.

First we lose our lead off guy, then we lose Jaysen until after the all star break, and now we lose our original 2nd batter and current lead off man.

Yesterday sucked big time, with the bullpen taking flack for the loss when the game could have been over if the 2nd basemen did his job properly a couple batters before.

The player (who's name escapes me) his family couldn't make it to NY, so they were going to see him play in Houston this weekend.

Edited by jennifer6973

Happy 150th Birthday to our northern neighbors!  

We're going to the game today - Zach Britton 'heads!  Too bad he's unavailable to pitch... 

• Love 5
On 6/23/2017 at 10:43 AM, attica said:

So much good cheese. The eatin' kind, not the pitchin' kind. Also: Dutch people are exceptionally good looking (imho). Have fun!

Oh Em Gee, you weren't kidding about the cheese (I brought some back) or the gorgeous men (I didn't bring any back).  It started with the customs agent at Schiphol who was so good looking I almost couldn't remember my name.  Welcome to the Netherlands!

The Braves have been playing on the west coast so I was able to catch the late innings most mornings when I woke up.  It was funny to see game start times of 4:05AM on the MLB at-bat app.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Hey Mets fans! Happy Bobby Bonilla $1.19M Deferred Payment Day!

Does Bret Saberhagen get paid today too?  I couldn't find that info.

Yes he does, also a few others do also for other teams.

Like:  Ken Griffey Jr get paid some $3 million or so by the Reds and Bobby Bonilla also gets $100K or so from the Orioles.  I will see if I can imbed the tweet I found that info on.

• Love 1
(edited)

By the umps or by the booth? I certainly have seen the latter, usually in terms of a blousy shirt. I can't remember if I've ever seen the former...

you weren't kidding about the cheese

I never ever kid about cheese.

Edited by attica
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Something I've never seen before in today's Oakland/Atlanta game.  A review of whether or not a batter was hit by a pitch.

I've seen it a few times this season and last season.

I slept through the Mets' win. Not only did Asrubal stay a Met and intact, he hit a go-ahead homer. Now I wish I had went, though I would've left during the rain delay, certain that they'd blow it against the Phillies.

Did Clint get a proper haircut before the game? He looked shaggy on the back page today. Still thinking Steven Matz has everybody beat in terms of rookie debuts. If anybody gets close, his grandpa in the stands having a ball would put him over the top.

4 hours ago, attica said:

By the umps or by the booth? I certainly have seen the latter, usually in terms of a blousy shirt. I can't remember if I've ever seen the former...

I never ever kid about cheese.

By the booth.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Dammit Brett you idiot.  And what the hell is wrong with Betances?!?

Oh man, they trotted out Betances, Chapman and then Judge to pinch hit and still couldn't win it. That game was awesome. I was attending and that was one hell of a loud roar from the crowd. DAMN.

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

And what the hell is wrong with Betances?!?

To my eye, he looked like he wasn't feeling well. Like, nauseated or febrile or something.

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm watching Clint Frazier's mom crying in the stands after he hit his first career HR and suddenly a dust storm blew through my house.

I did not know he was quite as ginger as he is. Like Blood Oranges. So this makes nicknaming a fun endeavor: The Crimson Tide! The Red Menace! Mad Sweeney!  Every homer could be 'magically delicious!'

I should show myself out...

• Love 1

The YES Network in their tweets were using #RedThunder so I'm guessing that's it.  It'll do.

John Sterling's HR call was "Downtown goes Frazier" and I get where he was going with it, but it's a stretch.

Frazier has got to wear SPF 100 when he's in the field or his face would be a tomato on a partly sunny day.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, mojoween said:

John Sterling's HR call was "Downtown goes Frazier" and I get where he was going with it, but it's a stretch.

No one should ever paraphrase Howard Cosell.  That's blasphemous.

Jays are getting creamed again. I love Biagini and he was a great reliever. I wish they would stop trying to make him a starter. It's painful to watch, I worry when they eventually give up and send him back to the bullpen he will be fucked up bc of the changes he made to try to be a starter.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, attica said:

I did not know he was quite as ginger as he is. Like Blood Oranges. So this makes nicknaming a fun endeavor: The Crimson Tide! The Red Menace! Mad Sweeney!  Every homer could be 'magically delicious!'

I should show myself out...

My Giants friends and I had a fun time joking about the Pirates' pitcher whose last name is Kuhl during yesterday's game. If he gets diarrhea, does he have Kuhl Runnings? When he's struggling, does he need Kuhl Aid (oh YEAH!)? If he's pitching well, is he Kuhl as a cucumber? If he's gassed out, is that Kuhl beans? If he throws a fastball, is it a Kuhl Whip?

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, mojoween said:

They got one run woo!

Also, this:

DDv_Q77XYAAx-ss?format=jpg&name=large

Omg, yes! I had been waiting for them to stand next to each other. We were totally cracking up at that in the stands.

Also, I found it ironic that Carter was the only Yankee to get an RBI today. 

• Love 1

Did the clubhouse guys check the players' socks today. I watched parts of three games and everybody got it right with the striped sock on the left leg.

10 hours ago, xaxat said:

Did the clubhouse guys check the players' socks today. I watched parts of three games and everybody got it right with the striped sock on the left leg.

What is the significance of that?