Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

When TBS stopped airing the Braves several years ago I was sad because I'd no longer have a regular way to watch my team but then I realized the silver lining was that I'd never have to listen to the beyond horrible Chip Caray ever again. It's a tradeoff I've learned to love.

Personally I find inter-league play to be the WORST. The absolute worst.

And there's so much of it now!  I know they do it to sell tickets ( the Mets/Yankees games are  sure-fire sell-out games)  but  damn it just seems like there's so much of this interleague play these days that is essentially just exhibition ball.

Cleveland pulled off a triple play against the Dodgers last night -- outfield fly, runner out at home, Puig thrown out attempting to get to second.  The out at second was initially called safe, Cleveland appealed and the call was overturned.  Then the Dodgers appealed the out at home, but that was upheld.  So two challenges on one play.

Looks like ASG voters (or a big marketing push by the Pirates) have come to their senses as my boyfriend Andrew McCutchen is the top vote getter among NL outfielders.  That's amazing as he was fourth not too long ago. 

Hey! Ballot box stuffing is a time honored tradition for the MLB All Star game!

Back when I was a kid (way before internet voting) I would walk out the Three Rivers with fistfulls of ballots. One year I experimented with pounding a nail through multiple ballots to increase my efficiency. Little chads everywhere.

• Love 2

I know ASG voting is a joke but in this case I'm happy as it made no sense for Cutch to be so far out of the running in terms of being elected as a starter except that he plays for a small market team.

I don't have any evidence to back this up, but I get the impression that voting now is better than it used to be. Between fantasy leagues, advanced statistics and the proliferation of cable channels that allow fans to see more out of market teams, I think voters are more educated than ever. You're probably always going to have sentimental votes like Jeter's, but I suspect that being an AS the previous year doesn't have as much effect on voting as it used to. The same goes for big market/small market disparities.

McCutchen, although he was the MVP last year, started low in the voting. He also had a mediocre (for him) May. As his play improved to the point where he earned Player of the Month for June, his vote totals went up as well.

• Love 2
(edited)

Between fantasy leagues, advanced statistics and the proliferation of cable channels that allow fans to see more out of market teams, I think voters are more educated than ever.

I'm not arguing with you that for the kind of fan this would describe, now is a good time to be a fan. I'm also aware that this kind of fandom is bigger than it used to be - one of my exes is a massively fanatical fantasy leaguer.   But I wonder how many fans are that kind of fan.   I don't watch out of market teams myself - it's hard enough just trying to watch all the Mets games without trying to catch all the other teams' games as well.  What I know about players from teams that don't play the Mets comes from skimming the sports page or catching the occasional Baseball Tonight.  Often the first time I see these players is when they do make the All-Star game and thus one of the things I like the best about the ASG.

I have no evidence for this either, but as a fan of a big-market team it's hard to believe that small-market teams don't still get kind of screwed in the voting - I don't know that increased cable/online access to small market teams is really going to make up for the population disparity.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

In the Oakland-Toronto game last night, Toronto had the bases loaded, the ball was hit to first base and Oakland first baseman Nate Freiman (who is, BTW, the tallest non-pitcher ever to play in the MLB, at 6'8") tagged the runner going by him at first base and then threw the ball to home.  The ump at first called the runner running past safe, so the catcher tagged home for a force out.  But Toronto challenged the call, basically demanding that their runner at first be called out so that the play at the plate would have had to have been a tag rather than force out.  And that's how the challenge ruled it -- the runner at first was out on the tag, the runner crossing home was safe because the tag at first took away the force at home.  Oakland protested the game, saying that the first base ump called the tag at first as not happening, so the catcher assumed that it was a force at home.  Oakland won, so the protest is moot.

I'm not super into inter league but holy moley is having the A's beat the Giants satisfying. I've been watching the Giants' brodcast and it really confuses me that the Giants' announcers got the top spot. I find Krukow in particular to be really obnoxious.

That Yankees "fan" has to be pranking ESPN with that lawsuit, right? I mean, Shulman and Kruk didn't say any of the things that guy said they did. It was funny! The guy was deeply sleeping at a Yankees/Red Sox game. He's going to get picked on and their commentary was not mean at all.

One of the funnier comments I saw was someone saying they felt worse for the guy eating the chicken tenders.

I'm totally with NBC Sports, and anyone else who calls out Angel, that utterly worthless umpire. He ruins games, and has been for years. Enough already.

Speaking of 'enough already'  -- good riddance to  AJ Pierzynski, hello Christian Vasquez. I'm all for the Red Sox trying out players since this year has been so pathetic so far.

(edited)

When TBS stopped airing the Braves several years ago I was sad because I'd no longer have a regular way to watch my team but then I realized the silver lining was that I'd never have to listen to the beyond horrible Chip Caray ever again. It's a tradeoff I've learned to love.

I've always liked Chip, but his father?  Skip Caray droned on endlessly.  As a die hard Cardinals fan, Harry Caray grated as well.  His - "It could be, it might be.....it is! A home run!"  By the time he was done getting all that out, the batter was rounding third.  Just drove me crazy.

Edited by RedheadZombie

I liked Skip and didn't mind his droning but he was als surrounded by other excellent announcers.  Chip, on the other hand, uses what I call a fake made-for-TV voice and his histrionics drive me up the wall.  AND HE HIT A LOOOOOONG DEEEEEEEP FLY BALL TO THE!!!!!!!!!.....pitcher.

Jacob DeGrom's hair is now more impressive than peak Lincecum. 

I was at the O's/Nats rained-out game Tuesday.  They were showing the Braves/Mets on the JumboTron and I couldn't take my eyes off of that hair... spectacular.

Bob Uecker and Bob Costas calling the Brewers/Cards game on MLB Network. Quite entertaining!

I watched that series. The Brewers' Carlos Gomez has issues, and I hate the "passionate" excuse. It has nothing to do with passion for the game. He's impulsive, hostile, immature, with anger management issues. He was hit by a pitch - never fun - but clearly accidental. Gomez tried to stare down and intimidate the pitcher to the point of the announcers commenting on it.

Later he struck out and had a massive temper tantrum. Repeatedly trying to break his bat (and clearly it was the bat's fault) over his leg, he gave up on that so he could whip his hat into the ground, followed by ripping his gloves off.

I read a funny article on the incident. The writer said Gomez seemed to be under the mistaken impression that he could get a seven run home run, then fought with and lost to his bat.

Bat 3

Gomez 0

(F)

• Love 3
(edited)

Ugh, I don't know how much tongue bathing of Jeter and Puig I can take.  They've already awarded Jeter the MVP after his first at bat.

I am more than pleased to see what a horrible ASG Puig is having.  :D

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 1

Forget "what will the Yankees do without Jeter?"  --- What will FOX do without Jetes? Good Lord, the entirety of their baseball structure will implode!

And, when Harold Reynolds starts talking about the HOF for Andre Beltre, well, that there is a sign of the apocalypse. Besides, what does HR know about HOFers? I look forward to someone starting a Fire Harold Reynolds ... Again website.

Hey, I couldn't bear to watch the entire Home Run Derby. Did they actually show the celebrity softball game afterwards? Did Jon Hamm make a surprise appearance or not?

• Love 2

So Adam Wainwright is admitting he gave Jeter a pitch to hit.

Yeah, and I'm actually pissed Wainwright did that.  The ASG is already a joke so why make it worse?  I got so sick of the Jetah love fest (really, the only thing the Fox reporter could ask Robinson Cano was how he felt about having Jeter there?) that I turned off the game.

Like Smittykins I am eating crow this morning about the MVP.  I also lost a bet about it with my brother-in-law.

I bow to no one in my love for Jeter (well, okay, I bow to Tim McCarver. My love is nothing to his.).

I did, however, get a huuuuge laugh when, during the 'replace the shortstop' applause-beg, the camera cut to Selig's box, and Pete Rose (ever aware when there's a camera on) leaned over to Bud and urged him "Start clapping!". And Bud's all, whuh? Oh! Clap! 

Douchetank.

I grew up a Yankee fan and while my interest in them has wanned a bit over the past few years and I've found myself more invested in my NL team, Jeter will always be a favorite. It's interesting to see the reaction of non-NYC/Yankee fans to the Jeter fest. I personally didn't love it because I know that it's not really Jeter's thing. He's always treated the media as a thing he has to do being an athlete of his level and he still seems to be humoring everyone by doing what is expected of him when he'd rather just go play and focus on baseball. I guess you could say he could have foregone the Farewell Tour but I am not even sure that was entirely his idea or something he asked for. Either way, I'll miss Derek but I won't mind next year's All-Star Game (hopefully) not having a main focus. 

Also, weighing on the DH thing. When a pitcher you love is slugging better than Giancarlo Stanton, has two grand slams and 12 RBIs and is a better hitter on his team than some of the position players, you are pretty okay with the DH not being a thing.

I hope the next farewell tour worthy player (Pujols?) just tells everyone to send money to his charity instead of inflicting us (and themselves) with these oh so awkward memento presentations. Here's a surf board/guitar/piece from our old stadium! (That you never really wanted!)

Adam Wainwright denied almost immediately that he deliberately allowed Jeter to get a hit.  It was a joke, and he apologized and said that he hated that he took any of the focus away from Jeter (God forbid that thirty seconds passed that were not Jeter-centric).  One of the announcers also stated that Jeter wouldn't appreciate Wainwright's comment - just give me a fucking break.  Against my better judgment, I liked a Yankee.  After Jeter's asshole treatment of Joe Buck, followed by the three hour ass licking, I was practically screaming - go away Derek Jeter!  Go away and never come back!  And did the rest of the American league All-Star roster really want a pep talk by Jeter? 

• Love 1
(edited)

Not a single mention of Tony Gwynn during the ASG broadcast.  Shameful.

Tony Gwynn was also more or less ignored during his final ASG appearance because that year the focus was on Cal Ripken, who I still think was one of the most selfish players ever to don a uniform.  The streak was all about him and not about what would or could have been better for the O's.

Edited by MyAimIsTrue
(edited)

It's interesting to see the reaction of non-NYC/Yankee fans to the Jeter fest. I personally didn't love it because I know that it's not really Jeter's thing. He's always treated the media as a thing he has to do being an athlete of his level and he still seems to be humoring everyone by doing what is expected of him when he'd rather just go play and focus on baseball.

As a Mets fan, my main problem with Jeter was always that he wasn't a Met.  He always seemed to me like Lou Gehrig or Don Mattingly, one of those ultra-rare gentleman sportman Yankees that the Yankees always claim are the norm, when we all know that they aren't.

Having said that I had to laugh at the idea that "everyone in the world" was equally likely to be a Yankees fan in the modern world, thanks to MLB.com and phone apps.  It's one thing to note that baseball fans respect a great player and quite another to claim that "everybody" loves the Yankees -  the team that is probably  most passionately hated outside of NYC. 

The Bob Sheppard intro for Jeter did get me teary.

Agree that the diss of Tony Gwynn was shocking.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3