Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

The Yankees have one guy who can hit and everyone else only hits into double plays, so obviously the remedy to that was to trade for more pitching.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

So Brian Cashman is going to sit in his office while Hal Steinbrenner wonders why the Yankees fans are mad while the AL West makes all of the moves?  Cool.  Cool cool cool cool.

It seems to be even worse! According to a "rival executive", meaning another GM, Cashman actually sat in his office waiting for offers to bowl him over!

Screenshot_20230801_202405_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Sad 2
19 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I know so many tickets are already paid for, but people should stay away from this awful team.

Yes. There's no incentive for Hal to push Cashman to do anything when the team continues to draw over 3 million each year.

Let's see what happens after they fall under .500 by the weekend.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1

Revelation: Miami will be going to the World Series.

Think about it from the viewpoint of Mets fans. They’ve had to sit by while a rival in the NL East makes it to the end. First the Nationals in 2019, then Cobb County in 2021, and the Phillies last season. The only team left is the Marlins, and the prospect of them having one more WS title than the Mets is galling.

50 minutes ago, DMK said:

Houston celebrated the return of Justin Verlander by throwing a no hitter. 

The Astros entered the majors in the same year as the Mets, and they have sixteen no-hitters . . . compared to the Mets’ two.

• Sad 1

Houston has an insane amount of no hitters. Didn’t San Diego just get their first one ever a couple years ago? And there are teams who’ve been around twice as long who have less. Yankees only have 13.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know so many tickets are already paid for, but people should stay away from this awful team.

Resident Rays fan here. As I watch the Rays/Yanks series, I don't think I've ever heard Yankee Stadium so quiet, save for the Boo Birds and #FireCashman chants last night. My team has been where the Yankees are now, and while I don't have sympathy (AL East, baby) I do empathize with y'all who are fans. Watching your team in free-fall sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, janeyjay said:

Watching your team in free-fall sucks. 

The only thing that would really suck for me would be if ownership does absolutely nothing as a result. And even that wouldn't phase me that much. I'm already detached from this group.

• Applause 1
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Think about it from the viewpoint of Mets fans.

On the plus side, Carlos Carrera is producing stats that would drive Mets fans nuts if they hadn't gotten spooked by his medical history.  At least they managed to dodge one problem.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, baldryanr said:

On the plus side, Carlos Carrera is producing stats that would drive Mets fans nuts if they hadn't gotten spooked by his medical history.  At least they managed to dodge one problem.

There’s no guarantee he would’ve been mediocre if he signed with the Mets.

*sigh* Even if the Yankees fuck things up, they have the promise of next year. Mets fans might not even get that, and their team is a laughingstock. A Rangers/Astros ALCS would be a deeper kick to the dick. Oh, and the Braves fans continue to whoop it up as their team steamrolls everything in their path, and that thought just irks me.

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Even if the Yankees fuck things up, they have the promise of next year. Mets fans might not even get that, and their team is a laughingstock

With the team the Yankees will still be stuck with? At least the Mets cleared the roster so they’ll have room to add. Yankees will still be stuck with the dogs of contracts that belong to Donaldson, Rizzo, Stanton and DJLM and nobody wants them. 

Oh, and now German has checked himself into rehab for the rest of the season. Day after trade deadline, nice timing. 

Well.  Now that Anthony Rizzo is hitting the IL with cognitive impairments from a concussion Fernando Tatis gave him TWO MONTHS AGO, I’m adding San Diego to my class action lawsuit against the Dodgers.

Eyes up, Angels.  You’re next.

• Sad 1

Tonight's other Fox game is Pirates @ Brewers. They couldn't have sent Smoltz to Milwaukee? Instead, we have to put up with him twice in less than a week. 🙄

RE: Rizzo, I'm very angry at the Yankees' medical staff right now. 😡

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

RE: Rizzo, I'm very angry at the Yankees' medical staff right now. 😡

Yeah, it’s not a good look for them. Either they didn’t notice that Rizzo has been hurt or they knew and have been making him play anyway. Seeing Judge lumbering around the basepaths like a hobbled horse leads me to lean towards the latter. 

• Like 3

Meanwhile, the Mets got swept by Kansas City. I’d say they hit rock bottom, but we all know there’s more digging to come.

Is Buck going to be out of a job? I think he needs to snap on the team.

Wow. Thanks for sharing that @smittykins. I hadn't seen it yet. Of course there was more to the story with this guy. I also think there's more to the sore armpit story that they're not disclosing. 

Whatever respect I had for Aaron Boone went out the window after hearing the "He is a sweetheart of a guy" comment. I wondered if he was misquoted, but I checked the video and he actually said that to a room full of reporters. 😒 Anyone with a history of domestic abuse doesn't merit a "sweetheart" tag. Period. Had Boone started with "He's well-liked in the clubhouse" or "He's always been a good teammate", it would have been somewhat acceptable but that "sweetheart" comment was not. And, if you look at the video, Boone had a good 30+ seconds to think about his response, because the reporter's question was very long-winded. 

I hope we've seen the last of Germán in pinstripes. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

I hope having Chapman, Cordero and now German in the rear view mirror will help shift the Yankees’ bad karma.  (This is assuming neither German nor Cordero returns, god willing.)

• Like 3
8 hours ago, DMK said:

Stanton running home:

image.gif.12774290e89b63068d63507d1cf74768.gif

8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Why in the world would they send him?!?! They know he's base to base. Hold him at third.  At least there's a chance Le Mahieu could get a hit and drive him in. Stupid move.

What inning was this? I'd like to be cheered up.

This Rodon signing does not help Cashman’s case that he is good at his job.  Yeah Carlos was hurt blahdy blahdy blah, but Cashman loves to sign people who can’t play.

Meanwhile, Sonny Gray, Jordan Montgomery and Nathan Eovaldi are flitting about, being great at what they do.

• Fire 2
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

“Down goes Anderson!  Down goes Anderson!” - Tom Hamilton

That was an epic brawl.  Best part was when Anderson was challenging Jose to fight and took at swing at him and missed completely.  Then, Jose turns around and knocks Anderson square on his a** like he was swatting at a fly.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, morriss said:

Anderson sure showed Ramirez what happens when someone dares to dis him...🤣

I loved Ramirez' description:

"I felt I was able to land one," Ramirez said through a translator. 

Understatement of the year.  

• Love 1

I've watched the video a dozen times and laughed each time because Ramirez's punch that knocked Anderson down looked more like a glancing blow to me; Ramirez just sort of sideswiped Anderson's chin and down he went!  Anderson is a delicate flower, poor thing.🥀

• Like 2

Well, if there wasn't already enough to discuss for the White Sox, Middleton's return with his new Yankees' team tonight should provide some more drama after these comments. 

Ex-White Sox reliever Keynan Middleton rips club's 'no rules' culture

"We came in with no rules," Middleton said. "I don't know how you police the culture if there are no rules or guidelines to follow because everyone is doing their own thing. Like, how do you say anything about it because there are no rules?

"You have rookies sleeping in the bullpen during the game. You have guys missing meetings. You have guys missing PFPs (pitcher fielding practices), and there are no consequences for any of this stuff."

Multiple sources, who corroborated Middleton's account to ESPN, said a pitcher was seen napping during games as well as skipping fielding practice.

When contacted Sunday night about Middleton's remarks, the White Sox said they had no comment.

• Useful 1

My favorite was Tito’s reaction:

reporter: “what did you think of Jose’s left hook?”

Tito, immediately: “Right hook.”

Then later: “You don’t want to laugh.   I mean you shouldn’t laugh.”

You just know Hamilton’s call of the fight is playing on a loop in the clubhouse: “Down goes Anderson!”

• Like 2

Well, if there wasn't already enough to discuss for the White Sox, Middleton's return with his new Yankees' team tonight should provide some more drama after these comments. 

Ex-White Sox reliever Keynan Middleton rips club's 'no rules' culture

Kind of explains why all the players who got traded from the White Sox looked so happy. Kendall Graveman was practically giddy — huge difference from the first time he got traded to the Astros when he cried. 

• Like 2

Wow. Orioles' broadcaster Kevin Brown has been suspended, evidently for speaking facts on camera.

The Angelo's Family should be forced to sell, they are on par with the  former owner of the Washington football team. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

Wow. Orioles' broadcaster Kevin Brown has been suspended, evidently for speaking facts on camera.

Speaking facts that were prepared for him by the PR folks and put up on the TV screen by the tech people in the truck.  

I think most of the broadcast crew is kinda shitty, but he's the best pbp guy we have.  I'm so pissed off about this. Almost as pissed off as I was about Jon Miller (I adtually wrote a letter about that and mailed it to the team!).  It's just so stupid and a totally unforced error.   Sell the team already. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3

I’m out of the loop. Why is Tim Anderson so hated to the extent that the guy who knocked him out seems to have received a 100% approval rating for that act? Not being critical. Just curious. 

• Like 3

There are about a thousand memes of Aaron Boone’s ejection floating around twitter already. Also I found this, which cracked me up. It’s a little outdated post trade deadline but it’s gold. 

8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Why is Tim Anderson so hated to the extent that the guy who knocked him out seems to have received a 100% approval rating for that act?

I don’t know much about Tim, but I’m a Guardians fan.  The night before Tim moved rookie Roccio’s hand off the bag after a glorious double.  Because the ump just called Roccio safe without pointing out the illegal move to get his hand off the base, White Sox challenged and New York said it can only look at if the hand came off and not how so called Roccio out.  Guardians are steamed; I know I am.

Then Tim the next night starts jawing at another rookie, enough that the ump intervenes.  Some say he told both to shut it; others say he just said something to Tim.

Jose slides into second base after a double, and Tim swiped at his head (Jose said the tag was “too hard”).  Jose gets up, yells something with his finger in Tim’s face, and Tim drops his glove and takes three swings at Jose before Jose takes the first and only swing he needed.

Since no one got hurt, I loved it because Jose is one of the most mild mannered people on the team, he wants to protect his rookies (he said that’s what he told Tim - that these players are just trying to make it and take care of their families and Tim was disrespectful), and Tim instigated the actual fight (Jose said Tim said he wanted to fight so they did).

Jose has put out a long public apology and says that he has tried to reach out directly to Tim, but no answer yet.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1