Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I'm not surprised. Astros don't really like rental deals. Judging from the prospects the O's got, I'm sure they wanted ones that Houston wasn't going to give up.

I think Gary needs a catching guru, like when Seve sought out Pedro. 

People often comment that it must have been a loss as a personal catching coach to lose Girardi, but I always suspected the Catcher Whisperer in those years was Tony Pena.  I wonder if that isn't a big loss for Sanchez.

I also think Sanchez is hurt with the fans by his withdrawn personality.  He gives an impression (which may be false) of defensiveness and even not caring.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

I also think Sanchez is hurt with the fans by his withdrawn personality.

It has to be difficult for certain personality types to thrive in a place like New York and be under intense media scrutiny (my hometown so not a disparaging remark on it or the people.)  See also:  Randy Johnson.

• Love 4
(edited)

As if things can't get worse for the Mets.  Rumors around the Mets were that they were thinking of calling him up to the big club in September when rosters expand.

Mets minor leaguer Tim Tebow says surgery on right hand successful

New York Mets minor leaguer Tim Tebow said the season-ending hand surgery he underwent on Tuesday was a success.

"Doc said the surgery went well, so we got that going for me, which is nice," Tebow said in a video posted Wednesday on Twitter. "Now it's time to get back to training."  The former NFL quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner broke his right hamate bone Thursday while swinging a bat for Double-A Binghamton in an Eastern League game against Trenton.

Edited by Moose135

I know. Now they gotta go to Plan TU. At least they won a series today.

I know this should be in the Minors thread . . . but he broke a bone swinging the bat? With talent like that, how did he not start the season with the big club??

• Love 5

I wish it would have worked out for Drury here but he has been snake bit since getting here and he deserves to play regular. I bet he is grateful to the Yankees for helping with the migranes and he understands everything that happened here was just baseball. I wish him luck. McKinney is a nice 4th OF and I do like him but I'm good with the trade.

I'm ok with Happ even though I don't think he is the impact player they were looking to get. That's ok because there were no impact pitchers to be had (Mets would never trade Jake to Yanks.) Bosox got Eovaldi, we got Happ. Call it a draw. 

What we need is for Masa to be very good and Sonny to play to his ability. That should solve any pitching woes. 

Onward.

• Love 2
(edited)

If Judge’s wrist is broken I am coming for you, Royals pitcher whose name I do not currently know.

*gasp*  He headed to the hospital for a MRI which is not good.

Edited by mojoween

The Mets defense confuses me. They put den Deker in center for the 7th, presumably as a defensive upgrade, but leave Bautista in R. I would take him out the first chance I get defensively. Slide Nimmo to right. I mean, I get the double-switch, but Bautista's defense is not worth the risk. As he's proven repeatedly this week.

On Golic and Wingo they did an “on this date 25 years ago” blurb and said that someone shot a squirt gun full of bleach at reporters in the Mets locker room, and the culprit was Bret Saberhagen, and that cannot POSSIBLY be true.

• Love 1

I remember that locker room incident like it was yesterday! Saberhagen, the future HoFer, who was supposed to pitch the Mets to glory, instead was a big head case who got some nasty headlines and bad press (and will only get in the HoF if he buys a ticket). The early 90s were a bad time, what with Sabes spraying bleach and Coleman throwing firecrackers in the parking lot and Bobby Blow whiffing a lot and threatening reporters and AY setting records for futility as both a starter and reliever. Fun! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of would-be HOF pitchers on the Mets . . . if Terry Collins doesn’t let Johann Santana throw 133 pitches in his no-hitter, would he have not flamed out the way he did?

I don’t take pleasure in Judge getting hurt. Now, if the Yankees miss the postseason because of it? Different story. ?

ETA: I’m not thinking of going to Citi Field . . . but if one or more of you want to swing by, I can possibly make the trip. ?

Edited by Lantern7
On 7/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, Lantern7 said:

ETA: I’m not thinking of going to Citi Field . . . but if one or more of you want to swing by, I can possibly make the trip. ?

I'll be there August 4th - for a 'head, of course.  I may have an extra ticket... I'm waiting for prices to crash on StubHub. 

Today, I went to a State of the Orioles Q&A before the game.  I really wanted to let them know they could have skipped the whole thing because the state of the Orioles is bad.  The end.  Although, the game went pretty well.  The giveaway 'head is cute, too. 

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I'll be there August 4th - for a 'head, of course.  I may have an extra ticket... I'm waiting for prices to crash on StubHub.

Good luck. People love those things, so I'd imagine a lot of people would endure a Mets game for Thor and pay standard prices for tickets.

ETA: Hall of Fame induction ceremonies are airing now on MLB. Larry Jones is going in first. The odds of him getting pummeled by Mets fans are pretty low, so I’ll skip that part.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

raves announcers Joe Simpson and Chip Caray went ballistic because the Dodgers wore shorts and T shirts during batting practice, calling them embarrassing (I guess including Chase Utley's strike out cancer T shirt).

I follow the dodgers on Twitter and they posted something about the shirts yesterday. I know people don't like Utley, but proceeds from buying that shirt go to fighting pediatric cancer. So yeah ...I'm going to assume they were annoyed the Dodgers just took 3 out of 4 from them.  

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1

Can we play the Rays every game for the rest of the season?  

Also, garden gnomes today.  A tidy haul this weekend for my overflowing office display. 

• Love 3

Is tomorrow the deadline? Mets haven’t moved deGrom. Or Thor. That guy has a bobble head coming out on Saturday, and Mets management are the type to move him before them if the price was right.

(edited)

The Jays are trying to trade Osuna while simultaneously saying they're not trying to trade him every chance they get. I would respect honesty a lot more. I'm wondering if the Astros would take him. The Jays will likely be dumb and give him away bc Rogers does not want the controversy. I also figure court will end with a peace bond (no criminal conviction) so it doesn't affect his career. We still don't know what happened. 

Other than Astros I'm not sure who else is looking for a closer. 

I'm not really on board with a trade. 

ETA- it will be quite the thing if they trade him to a contending team- hey commit DV and your punishment is to go to a better team where you might win the world series!

Edited by cleo

Aaaand I got another notification. It's official. Osuna to the Astros for Ken Giles, David Paulino and Hector Perez, all RHPs. 

Boy, the Astros reeeeeeally wanted to be rid of Giles.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Is tomorrow the deadline? Mets haven’t moved deGrom. Or Thor. That guy has a bobble head coming out on Saturday, and Mets management are the type to move him before them if the price was right.

I don't think they're actually going to trade either unless they get a HAUL. I think they'll ship out Wheeler, and Bautista if anyone will take him, and Matz might also be in the "if anyone will take him" bucket.

15 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Osuna to the Astros for Ken Giles, David Paulino and Hector Perez, all RHPs. 

I figured. I hope you enjoy the World Series this year @kariyaki! I thought the Astros would take it again, even before this, but this deal seals it for me. I don't think the NL can compete. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The Mariners are contending, and the Yanks let Warren go?  When they could be fighting the M’s for that playoff spot?

And the ‘Stros got Osuna?  What is happening?

Edited by mojoween
(edited)

Re Yanks farm system...it wasn't a bottomless pit and I am guessing they are fairly high on some of their guys in AA who they think may be able to stick with them eventually. Tyler Austin had nowhere to go at the big club and deserves to play every day and I am sure he will in MN. A little pissed off they traded my man Adam Warren. I was pissed when he was traded to Cubs and so,so happy when he came back. I will miss him. Traded for money. That's an insult. At least Shreve was traded for a player (MiLB) and money. Glad he is going to a contender even if we do have to play them.

Yanks got Lance Lynn for Austin.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 2

These Monday night ESPN baseball guys are terrible. They are so hard to listen to and they are barely talking about the game. I was happy to see the Phillies in ESPN because I'm away and can watch the game but at this point I'd rather just follow the game on At Bat. These are some of the worst announcers I've heard and I had to listen to Chris Wheeler for a long time

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wait wait WAIT.  It's not a JOKE that J.A. Happ has hand, foot and moth disease?!?

Heh. Did he go to the same baseball camp with the sick kids as Syndergaard?

• Love 3