Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, prican58 said:

K of B, I think it seems that way due to all the recent Yankees upheaval. It's non stop in the media here but it is dying down a bit.

Please lets all remember that I would be first in line to use a sarcasm font, if one existed. (Except if I'm posting to admonish the 3 Ms - MLB/ Manfred /Mojoween -about something.)

Also, KoB is the usual derogatory shorthand for me. Or, "fuckin' kob" or "el duderino" if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

ETA- ooooof. Bad Cubbies!

Edited by King of Birds

Daily News back page has the Marlins trying to reel in A-Rod now that Staton is out with a groin injury. Thoughts: A-Rod and Bonds on the same team?!? And . . . Staton couldn't hurt himself before punishing the Mets?

The Marlins themselves mentioned it.  It would be foolish, because they only have three games left this season in an AL park and also Alex was not hitting anything anywhere so he's not getting to 700 this year and isn't a good replacement for Giancarlo.

Look KoB I didn't say anything about the Yankees!

• Love 4

Hitting as retaliation has to be one of the worst unwritten rules in baseball. It's stupid to do it because a guy hit a homer off of you, and it's stupid to do it because someone did it to a guy on your team (especially if it was an accident!). Intentional injury is stupid, period. Not a fan of a guy getting his wrist broken or the like because his teammate hit a guy with a pitch. One of my favorite moments that happened with the Giants this year was when a pitcher threw up and in to Buster Posey. Brandon Crawford got mad and he hit a homer immediately after. That's how you handle it, not by ending some guy's season. 

• Love 3

I will never ever understand getting plunked because you hit a homer in your last at bat.  Like the psychology of that is completely over my head.

That would be like say a truck driver making all of his deliveries in the fastest amount of time and one of his rival drivers running him over.

Those guys all should have said "Oh Hell no!"

Plus, you risk the wrath of the Baseball Gods coming up with group nicknames for unproven players. Remember the Mets' vaunted "Generation K"?

Next Sunday morning  I have an early flight to Philadelphia for a work trip.  The Phillies have a home game that afternoon and then are on the road for the rest of the week so would it be horrible if I dropped off the coworker with whom I'm traveling somewhere and went to the game? 

Cubs play "Smack My Bitch Up." You gotta know better. C'mon.

Reminds me of one of my all-time, all-time favorite misheard lyrics stories. Was clubbing with mahgurls and this song came on. One of my friends was happily dancing and miming taking photographs. When we asked her why, she said: The song! "Snap my Pic-ture!"  There were faces in palms, so many faces in palms. 

• Love 3

Did they play Prodigy normally, or through the organ? That would be weird. One time, when I was at Wrigley, I could have sworn they played Beck's "Sexxlaws."

ETA: I saw folks wearing Blue Jays gear while working today. I wish them the best of luck.

2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Next Sunday morning  I have an early flight to Philadelphia for a work trip.  The Phillies have a home game that afternoon and then are on the road for the rest of the week so would it be horrible if I dropped off the coworker with whom I'm traveling somewhere and went to the game? 

That would be my plan. 

I just got back from Toronto where I went to two games of Astros vs. Blue Jays. Boy, you wanna talk about sticking out like a sore thumb, wearing an orange jersey in that stadium? Got lots of WTF? looks. They're not used to interlopers. But were perfectly nice, especially upon learning how far I traveled to go to the games. 

2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

[snip] so would it be horrible if I dropped off the coworker with whom I'm traveling somewhere and went to the game? 

Does your coworker know of your baseball affliction? Could you bring him/ her along? I say go for it.

She does know because she constantly heard me talk about wanting to go to a Wingnuts game when we were in Wichita in June.  She's not interested.  Maybe I'll drop her off at the Liberty Bell or something and tell her to get a cheese steak.

Aim, have you been to the Philly Citizens Bank ballpark?  I mean don't let anti-baseball coworker stop you from hitting all the parks. I recall a twopper I knew who had attended games at half the ballparks, circa 2008 or so. Anyone close to that "bucket list" type deal?

4 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Horrible?  I'd say it's required!  Because...baseball!!  If I was going to be home, I'd invite myself up to enjoy the game with you!

36 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

Aim, have you been to the Philly Citizens Bank ballpark?  I mean don't let anti-baseball coworker stop you from hitting all the parks. I recall a twopper I knew who had attended games at half the ballparks, circa 2008 or so. Anyone close to that "bucket list" type deal?

Raises hand!! (Sorry if I already posted this...)

I've been to every stadium that was open since about the mid 80s, when I started taking in baseball games on theatre trips.  We only have 4 (or 3 and a half) to go of the new ones - San Diego, Miami, St Louis and Kansas City (we've been, but they've renovated since then, so why not go back?!?)  We may be able to hit Miami next summer.

Favorite old park - Fenway.  Favorite new park - Pittsburgh.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Aim, have you been to the Philly Citizens Bank ballpark?

I haven't.  Is it wrong that I kinda want to go there just to boo random people?

My ballpark list is surprisingly low unless you add in spring training and minor league stadiums:  the old Shea, Citi Field, Camden Yards, Nationals Park, the old Fulton County Stadium, Turner Field, Tropicana Field, SkyDome (or whatever it's called these days), and AT&T Park in San Francisco (back when it was called Pac Bell.)

17 hours ago, attica said:

Reminds me of one of my all-time, all-time favorite misheard lyrics stories. Was clubbing with mahgurls and this song came on. One of my friends was happily dancing and miming taking photographs. When we asked her why, she said: The song! "Snap my Pic-ture!"  There were faces in palms, so many faces in palms. 

And now this reminds me of one of my favorite 7th inning stretch stories.  Kid Rock (ick) came to Wrigley to sing the 7th inning stretch, and since the Cubs were behind, the announcers told him to say "Let's get some runs!" after he sang, since that's typically what the stretch singer will say if the team is behind.  Kid Rock misheard them, and after he finished singing the stretch screamed "LETS GET SOME LUNCH!"

• Love 5

Just got a email from the Mets touting this weekend's series. Saturday is Matt Harvey Bobblehead Night. They couldn't have postponed that? 

My favorite promo was a couple of years ago when they had Marlon Byrd t-shirt night...the day he was traded.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ebk57 said:

We may be able to hit Miami next summer.

You haven't haven't visited their bobble head museum yet?

I used to do a lot of business travel back in the nineties and tried to get to the various ballparks if I could fit it into my schedule. So I have visited more ballparks that have been demolished (Three Rivers, The Vet, Shea, Old Busch . .) than ones that are currently standing.

Is there a site that lists all statues at MLB parks? I might write about the Mets' lack of those, and I'd want background material.

Princess Sparkle . . . Did you hear the Kid Rock story from a comedian? I've heard that a few times on XM.

I heard PNC Park is awesome. Is there anything else to see in Pittsburgh?

47 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I heard PNC Park is awesome. Is there anything else to see in Pittsburgh?

I haven't been there for a game, but did have dinner/reception in the restaurant overlooking the outfield during a conference I was attending.  It is a neat ballpark.  A couple of years later, we did the same at Heinz Field, even got a tour of the stadium that time.  Just across the Allegheny River, and within walking distance from PNC Park there is Market Square, with shops, restaurants, street performers, and such, including the world famous Primanti Bros. Restaurant.

My Photos from Pittsburgh

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Princess Sparkle . . . Did you hear the Kid Rock story from a comedian? I've heard that a few times on XM.

Len Kasper mentioned it once in the announcing booth quite a few years ago.  It has stuck with me ever since, probably because he told the story to Bob Brenley, who couldn't stop laughing.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

You haven't haven't visited their bobble head museum yet?

I used to do a lot of business travel back in the nineties and tried to get to the various ballparks if I could fit it into my schedule. So I have visited more ballparks that have been demolished (Three Rivers, The Vet, Shea, Old Busch . .) than ones that are currently standing.

I took a tour of the stadium this past January (while Mr ebk was working, which is why we might be there again next summer).  The 'head museum is kinda neat.  I saw many 'heads that I also own.  I'm not sure what that means, but it must mean something.

As far as the official count goes, we don't count taking tours, only seeing games.  And to get even more OCD, we went to the Orange Bowl back when the Terps played (and I use that term loosely), but couldn't really count Joe Robbie Stadium until we saw a baseball game there.  And we did manage to suffer through a baseball game there once.

Edited by ebk57

Saw a guy with a "NO RUNS DMC" cap. I didn't see the front . . . just the side with the homage decal/patch on it. To be honest, it brightened me up for a few minutes. If I had the time, I would've taken a pic and displayed it here. Shouldn't the Yankees offer partial discounts for that merch, and donate it to Third World countries that couldn't give a shit about Chapman?

Speaking of which . . . is it possible that the Cubs got pranked? "Smack My Bitch Up" is not an appropriate song to play at a ballpark, even if one of the players didn't do time for abuse.

So with Girardi proclaiming this the Gary Sanchez era, with McCann DH'ing-- OR do you think they trade him to a team that needs a catcher (like the Indians?) I forget how old McCann is but I figure he'd go for a trade if the Yanks eat some salary.

I will hold my breath and turn several shades of red- purple-blue if the Red Sox sign Papelbon. I mean, good riddance, we had our time with him. Our bullpen can implode quite alright with its make up now, why add more fuel?

Edited by King of Birds
one s too many
  • Love 1

I watched the Pirates/Giants game on MLB Network today and it was really enjoyable. Typically, you either get homers, or a national crew that has to cater to the lowest common denominator. But in this case Brian Kenny,  John Smoltz and Jonah Keri had a high level discussion of what was going on in the game.. I learned some stuff.

• Love 1

@King of Birds

I think the Indians have a catcher Jan Gomes, that they have been using, thus one of the reasons Jonathan Lucroy didn't want to go there.

Hopefully the Red Sox don't pick up Papelbon, because Boston is my 2nd favorite AL East team.  Of course I don't want him on the Cubs either.

13 hours ago, xaxat said:

But in this case Brian Kenny,  John Smoltz and Jonah Keri had a high level discussion of what was going on in the game.. I learned some stuff.

I love John Smoltz the former player and current broadcaster.  I dislike John Smoltz the person (for political reasons.)  It's tough.

• Love 3

Another MadBum homer, this time off of deGrom! I saw a stat last night that said that only he, Stanton, Rizzo & Bryant have hit homers off of both deGrom AND Kershaw (Bum has two!) in recent seasons. That's pretty crazy. It also was a HUGE momentum shift for the Giants. Sorry Mets fans, I know you guys are struggling too but that was a much needed win for the Giants. So nice to see the team actually come back from a deficit, manage not to completely blow the lead AND tack on runs. Especially in a game that wasn't Bum's best pitching performance.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

Another MadBum homer, this time off of deGrom! I saw a stat last night that said that only he, Stanton, Rizzo & Bryant have hit homers off of both deGrom AND Kershaw (Bum has two!) in recent seasons. That's pretty crazy. It also was a HUGE momentum shift for the Giants. Sorry Mets fans, I know you guys are struggling too but that was a much needed win for the Giants. So nice to see the team actually come back from a deficit, manage not to completely blow the lead AND tack on runs. Especially in a game that wasn't Bum's best pitching performance.

Hours after we had won, I still couldn't believe we had actually won. Maybe we'll win 2 games in a row! And then maybe win 3 games in a row for the first time in the second half! I won't get my hopes up, I've become good at practicing apathy lately.

"Do it for Duffy" has been a common chant during all the games I've attended so far. I attended Monday's game against the Pirates and it was hard not to cheer louder for Vogey than Moore. I read later that Pirates' fans were awed by the 2 standing Os we gave him. Well of course! He's a forever Giant. Love to cheer for our former Giants, except for a handful, including Pablo & Brian Wilson... I can't get myself to actually individually cheer for Moore (or Nunez or Smith), I just scream "go Giants!" instead. It will take me a long time to come around to them, not that it's their fault (although I have yet to be blown away by them). I wish they would bring up Tomlinson though, in place of Adrianza (no offense to Adrianza, but KT has been doing really well). 

So...the Os game started out well, then quickly went bad.  Very bad.

We've changed our minds again and will now go to the Os/Yankees game next Friday.  Provided I can find some reasonably priced tickets.  Since the Yankees have made up with StubHub, I'm hoping for the best.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Four HRs before making an out! Yet they still blew it. O's bullpen is quite Red Sox-esque in their own way.

The walk-off inside the park homer by the Indians was something else as well!

12 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Heh, and I had the exact opposite reaction: Gee, that shitty start of a game took a pretty nice upturn.

Has Brian Wilson always been such a stupid mo-fo? The guy seems out of his caveman mind! Dodgers' management must be itching to get rid of him when the right opportunity comes. Giants management must be thinking how lucky they are not to have him anymore. 

The beard is really nasty and with that rubberband he looks like an idiot.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1

HR to tie, next batter gets in the park home run to win!

Apparently never been done before in this manner, in the entire history of MLB.

That's Cleveland for you!  Doing things never done before and setting records.  (Don't think it will carry over to the Browns, tho)

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

Greetings from Mt. Laurel, NJ!  This afternoon my coworker an I drove past Citizens Bank Ballpark and debated for a minute or two about going to the game (it had started already) but it was raining a bit so we decided not to go.  Instead we walked around Old City Philadelphia in the rain and I completely geeked out at seeing the Liberty Bell.

• Love 5