Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, gutette1 said:

Did MLB stumble over some forgotten warehouse with 70s jerseys??  That is some ugly-ass, "smiley face yellow" jerseys for the ASG.

The same mustard 70's Padres jerseys are being worn for the Homerun Derby. 

Anybody else put off that ESPN only allots two hours for the Derby? That always runs over. I'm not bugged by that, but I can imagine somebody who wants to see the softball game getting frustrated every year.

When will the Marlins next face the Mets? Staton is going to be fatigued for a good while after this.

• Love 1

Thought: The result of the ASG should not determine home field for the World Series. Bud Selig fucked up, and he put emphasis on an exhibition game. "Representative of Winning Team at All-Star Game" should fall between "Most Doubles In Extra Innings" and "Coin Flip."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Was the Canadian anthem broadcast on FOX?  I didn't see it but I wish I had so I too could decide to be outraged/not outraged at the apparent political statement.

Of course Fox didn't show the Canadian anthem. I can't remember the last time they did.

And apparently the political statement was all due to a Rogue Tenor.

So very proud of my boys!  And Kelvin, with that 1-2-3 inning...pretty sure as Herrera left the mound, Joe Buck said, "The bullpen is on for the Royals!"  Indeed. *grins hugely*

The only sad thing is that Cyborg wasn't there to close it out.  Maybe Hoz'll let him drive the MVP truck around the Plaza.

I am still laughing about the Wizard of Hos. 

ASG is fun, ASG is also kinda dumb. I get all wrapped up in it every year and then the game itself kind of underwhelms me. My favorite team has yet to win the WS at home in three recent championships so it's hard to be too wrapped up in home field advantage anyway. At least my favorite player got into the game and worked the count and didn't make an out on the first pitch. 

• Love 1

I'm Canadian and heard the anthem. It mostly just surprised me and then I was a bit irritated.

It also made me think-the singers must be American. Bc even though we do have some Black Lives Matters activists here, the context and history isn't exactly the same.

I supppse I'm a bad Canadian- who knew there were Canadian tenors?

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Thought: The result of the ASG should not determine home field for the World Series. Bud Selig fucked up, and he put emphasis on an exhibition game. "Representative of Winning Team at All-Star Game" should fall between "Most Doubles In Extra Innings" and "Coin Flip."

A-friggin'-men.  It's a meaningless game that is supposed to be just for fun and I'm hoping the new commish (his name escapes me right now) does away with that stupid home field advantage rule.

9 hours ago, Slade347 said:

Of course Fox didn't show the Canadian anthem. I can't remember the last time they did.

The last time I remember was 1993 in Baltimore when Geddy Lee of Rush sang it.  Awesome moment.  I hate that the Canadian anthem is no longer shown as it smacks of jingoism, but what else would I expect from Fox.

• Love 2

My own peeve is that we DVRed the ASG because we went to an event Tuesday night - only to discover when we got home that the three and a half hour game we recorded only included the last ten minutes of the introductions!!  FUCK.  The introductions are the most fun part of the whole ASG and apparently they were in what our grid listed as the Pre-Game Show.

:(

What should determine which team gets home-field advantage in the World Series? I'm thinking head-to-head record, won-loss in interleague games, team from the league that won the most interleague games . . . or, screw it, go back to alternating between the leagues.

• Love 1

Twenty-three years later and I still love this clip.  Rush is probably my second favorite band after the Beatles, and Geddy Lee is not just a nice Jewish boy from Toronto but he's an absolute baseball fanatic.

• Love 2
(edited)

Aim since The Streak started I get these updates every day DiMaggio gets a hit.

Probably because The Yankees are listed as my favorite team on the app.

That link was awesome I love Rush soooooooo very much.

First criteria to get home field in the WS should be won-loss record, then record in interleague if there is a tie, then they can come up with other tiebreakers after that.

Edited by mojoween
I'm babbling on tonight
1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Twenty-three years later and I still love this clip.

Me too and I don't even like Rush.  But Geddy Lee does have a wonderful voice and it's a great a capella performance - since apparently NOBODY IN THE BAND had thought to prepare an arrangement of O Canada.

Also: I think the ASG should be played on a Sunday. I know that it would be rougher to figure out when to restart games on Tuesday or Wednesday, but the other major sports hold their exhibition on a Sunday. And surely, MLB can sacrifice a weekend's slate of games.

I had to go to bed early. How long did the Game last? I'm betting after midnight on the East Coast. Only time that wasn't an issue for me was when I went to San Diego in 2003. So trippy to see festivities start at 5. I think that was the year Dusty Baker made Armando Benetiz as the Mets' sole representative.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Aim since The Streak started I get these updates every day DiMaggio gets a hit.

Probably because The Yankees are listed as my favorite team on the app.

That's cool!  For some reason I still have the Braves listed as my favorite team and even though I don't allow notifications there wouldn't be anything worth mentioning anyway.

54 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Me too and I don't even like Rush.  But Geddy Lee does have a wonderful voice and it's a great a capella performance - since apparently NOBODY IN THE BAND had thought to prepare an arrangement of O Canada.

If memory serves that was the same year the great James Earl Jones did a spoken word version of the Star Spangled Banner so perhaps it was a deliberate unplugged evening?

(edited)
42 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

If memory serves that was the same year the great James Earl Jones did a spoken word version of the Star Spangled Banner so perhaps it was a deliberate unplugged evening?

No, because Jones had a band and some kind of choral group backing him up.  Whereas the Canadians got - bupkus.

ETA:  it was the contrast between the two anthems that really set it unforgettably in my memory - the huge production for the Star Spangled Banner - and then Geddy walks over to the mike to sing O Canada by himself.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also: I think the ASG should be played on a Sunday. I know that it would be rougher to figure out when to restart games on Tuesday or Wednesday, but the other major sports hold their exhibition on a Sunday. And surely, MLB can sacrifice a weekend's slate of games.

I had to go to bed early. How long did the Game last? I'm betting after midnight on the East Coast. Only time that wasn't an issue for me was when I went to San Diego in 2003. So trippy to see festivities start at 5. I think that was the year Dusty Baker made Armando Benetiz as the Mets' sole representative.

It was over just after 11, because Joe Buck mentioned something about 3 hour game.

• Love 1

The DiMaggio notifications are if you have MLB News selected as something you want updates on. I haven't been getting them because I toggled that one off long ago (too many notifications!). I just have Astros news, score changes, and game ending notifications switched on.

ESPN has to TELL him?  I think he knows. He's a bad comedian whose time and schtick has come and gone a long long time ago.

It's actually that ESPN needs to be told that they are NOT the epitome of sports broadcasting, and that's why they are the #1 reason why people "cut the cord."  They just think they're #1 and everything they touch is gold. Why would they care to tell the bad comedian to get off the stage when they still have to pay him for the contract?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I like Chris Berman.

Me too. He actually sounds like he enjoys talking about sports. And I met him in Canton, OH--he's the nicest guy. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, topanga said:

And I met him in Canton, OH--he's the nicest guy. 

You weren't wearing leather by any chance, were you? :)

Fam's in town at the end of the month, and we've got Giants-Yanks tix. In-laws are G fans; my Y-loving sister is in a mixed marriage. Should be fun to see neighboring fan reaction.

• Love 2