Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 4/30/2016 at 3:56 PM, cleo said:

Ms Blue Jay, don't worry, the Jays are still my number one, I just think I need a backup. I was glad they won last night. I was watching the Sox and the Orioles, but I saw bits and pieces of the Jays game toward the end. I love Osuna, I don't know why. The way he kept his cool in the playoffs last year really impressed me. 

There are a multitude of reasons to love Osuna - the kid is a superstar.

• Love 1

Mixed night for baseball's big guys. Just found out Pablo Sandoval is out for the season. On the flip side, Bartolo Colon went eight scoreless innings in the Mets' 4-1 win. Also, he hit a line drive foul ball, which gave some fans a thrill.

• Love 1

Now I've never watched the 30 for 30 about the Yankees 2004 playoff collapse and I never will, so I only have media reports word that ESPN edited Schilling out of the re-air this weekend, but while I find Schilling to be a loathesome individual of the highest order, if ESPN really did that I can't get behind the decision.

ESPN coddled that guy for YEARS.  They finally realize they can't muzzle him so they let him go, and now they are trying to scrub him from history when they are the ones who let the monster grow?

I don't see anyone editing OJ out of football stories.

• Love 3

ESPN claims the Schilling edit was for time reasons. While that makes some sense, it's very curious that that's the part they chose to cut out.

And really, I'm no Bosox fan, but there's no way that series can even be discussed without mention of the bloody sock. The Bloody Sock Game is baseball legend, something NY fans have come to live with the same way Sox fans have had to make their peace with Game Six. 

"Make their peace with Game Six"?? Is that what I was supposed to have done? 

Mojoween, I was gonna snark on your 'cold shoulder' to the 2004 ALCS 30 for 30 but I totally agree with your sentiment/ post. Schilling is less a 'former player' or 'baseball personality' then a 'talking head who thinks people actually want his opinion on everything.'  We can only hope he stays off our TVs and regains some humility.

So: You think you know all about the history of beards, huh? Vin Scully tells the story.

• Love 2

Aim - Hazelbaker's a good guy. I follow all the Red Sox minor league teams and was glad to see him catch on with the Dodgers last year. Making the bigs with the Cardinals kinda blows, but ya know. Good for him.

And, I'm also thrilled to hear that Ryan Kalish is up with the Cubs now. He made some terrific plays in CF for the Sox a few years ago (pre-Mookie, pre-JBJ) and then got hurt. It's always fun to see players you follow make the bigs, even if they're not on the Sox.

• Love 2

The Braves actually one hit the Mets.  I'm still trying to figure that out considering how awful we are this year.

Mallex Smith of the Braves hit his first major league homer last night but, sadly, he was only able to do the homerun trot from third base as it was initially thought he got a triple but replays showed the ball went over the line for a homerun.  Too bad the umps couldn't let him start his trot from home.

I doubt it's  Alex. He has so much good will since he's been back that it would be just too much turmoil. Don't think he would heap more shame on his girls. Besides I would think he wants zero drama at this point. I even think he is looking forward to retiring.   We'll see. 

Cute, though I have to worry about fans defacing the bench. Or worse. I mean, if Chipper Jones got a bench in Central Park from well-funded Braves fans, I'd be tempted to do nasty things with it.

• Love 1

Forgot the Mets were playing on the West Coast until after their game was over. For any Padres fans . . . on the one hand, I feel your pain about waiting an eternity for a no-hitter. On the other: no way did the Mets want to be no-hit three times in the span of two seasons.

Hell of an ending in the Bronx tonight. Big Papi strike out followed by a meltdown of crazy proportions. It  was a strange strike out but tough tostones, Papi. And then Ramirez gets K'd. Ballgame over. Yankees Win. So now us Yankee fans need to start to send out the positive vibes. We have now won 2 of our last 3 games. Pineda was really good after giving up 2 run HR to Ortiz in the first.

But now Ellsbury has a hip issue, CC has a groin issue and Alex is on the DL.

Oh well. Yanks needed this game more than Boston. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Right, a strange strike out since it was Ball 4.

If Ortiz wouldn't have thrown a fit about the 3-1 pitch, then the 3-2 pitch would have been called a ball.

I wonder how long Farrell's suspension will be for not leaving the field after being ejected.

• Love 1

But now Ellsbury has a hip issue, CC has a groin issue and Alex is on the DL.

Cashman said he wasn't going to start raiding Triple A but he might want to think about it.  Old guys don't get any younger or less broken.

The sentence "CC is on the 15 day DL so Ivan Nova slid into the rotation" is terrifying.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Cashman said he wasn't going to start raiding Triple A but he might want to think about it.  Old guys don't get any younger or less broken.

But then you run the risk of destroying a player's confidence.  I think Aaron Judge still needs some more time in AAA, he still strikes out way too much.  Looking it up, he's struck out 30 times this season on 105 at bats.

Then again, it's not much of a change from how the Yankees lineup usually is.  They have the ability to make anybody look like Sandy Koufax.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Right, a strange strike out since it was Ball 4.

Even I thought it was a ball. I think most umps would have called ball. In showing the replay the pitch was coming in a way that said strike but McCann got crossed up and caught it in a way that made it look like a ball. Hey, I don't know. If the shoe were on the other foot I'd be pissed.

BTW, Kulpa the ump had a weird night b/c he messed up on both teams. His range was wide. I wish that John "Flash" Flaherty had done the post game because as a catcher he would have discussed the situation and explained it in detail. I like when he's in the booth and it would have been even better if Al Leiter were there as well. Singleton and O'Neill have tons of experience and knowledge but Flash and Al would have been stellar.

Jacoby not playing, Headley at 3B because he has good numbers on Price. I think Headley needed a day off even if he did get a hit before he sat. Loved Aaron Hicks' HR last night. He is going to play a lot in the next few weeks especially if Jacoby is out for a while. This stretch of games with guys on DL could be blessing in disguise because guys like Hicks and the recently called up Ben Gamel (nice hair, dude) will be able to participate more. 

Let's see which Eovaldi shows up today. 

Just found out Flash is doing the pre game today. Yay, I know he will talk Ortiz strike call.

ETA..Actually, no he didn't talk of it.

Edited by prican58

Just once, in any sport, I'd love for a team/coaches to not hold back the "Hold me back!" guy. I'm betting nothing would happen. (Unless Matt Barnes is involved.)

People complain about fake hustle? I find fake aggression to be just as annoying.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Just once, in any sport, I'd love for a team/coaches to not hold back the "Hold me back!" guy. I'm betting nothing would happen. (Unless Matt Barnes is involved.)

People complain about fake hustle? I find fake aggression to be just as annoying.

That is so true. Really, what are these guys going to do? Could you see it now? A hockey style fight between Papi and Kulpa.  Does Farrell grab onto Papi's leg a la Van Gundy and Ewing? 

I cannot tell you how happy I am that the FS1 broadcast of Nats-Cubs isn't blacked out here because now I don't have to listen to Bob and FP - yay!!!

Fellow Yankee fans, watching today's game and I am starting to wonder about life after Tex. This guy is just an unbelievable 1st baseman! It's no surprise but man, he still can leave you breathless. NYY have been very lucky that they have had 3 great performers at the position. Mattingly, Tino and Tex. I know there is Greg Bird after his rehab but he is not nearly on Tex level. 

If Bird isn't ready, what are the chances the team signs Tex for 2 more years? I know the guy still wants to play but I'm sure he will want more than 2 and I doubt Cashman will want to do that. The team needs to keep getting younger. I will be very curious to see what will happen.

Bartolo jacked that ball!  I wish it had been in NY though.

Ahh love for Texy!  He really IS the bomb at first.  And I love when they zoom in on his face when he hits a home run and his eyes get as large as humanly possible.

Saw it while going through stuff on DVR. Saw the sequence three times. Holy shit. If you missed it, you have to see it. Announcer went nuts . . . I think it made him stand up. Mets went wild. Mets fans went while. I'm guessing Padres fans went wild, because it was such a moment. And Bartolo broke out into his home run trot . . . or it might be how fast he runs. If the Mets win, I think the game might make it on Mets Classics on SNY on the strength of the homer. The only concern is that the game is airing on WPIX/Channel 11, so that might not happen.

ETA: Just heard that Bartolo is the oldest player in MLB history to have his first home run.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I love Tex, but he has serious issues staying healthy anymore.  I could see him resigning for one year, but probably not two.

Yeah, smittykins but I figure Tex would want at least a 3-4 years and he is young enough to get it somewhere. If he is healthy at the end of this season maybe he would be willing to play one season and then be a free agent again.Clutching at straws, I know.

Health is the big bugaboo. Can we have a designated first baseman? Kidding.

(edited)

Okay, I know things can go sideways in a nanosecond, so I probably shouldn't say anything......but....my Cubs are 24-6, Twenty-Four and Six.  It's impossible, improbable, crazy, but just a hell of a lot of fun so far this year.
Crazy stat I heard the other day:  Four years ago, it took the Cubs 60 games into the season to win 20 games.They told us then to hang on during those awful, awful years (no, not those other awful years, just the recent ones), that they were building something and to be patient.  And here we are!
Look, I'm not crazy enough to believe that they will win it all, but I can't tell you what it means to root for this team and actually have crazy fun doing it after some really bad, bad years.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

Nooooo!  I like the Sox too (and wow, another great turnaround), but the thought of the Cubs losing the WS to the Sox, well, I just think Chicago would implode and Cubs fans would dive into the abyss!!  And perhaps vice-versa.  However, I'm more than amenable to taking turns!!

I love watching the Nationals play and usually worry when they are playing NL East teams, but for some reason I didn't mind them losing to the Cubs.

(The reason may be because they didn't go all NE Patriots on them like they did the Reds)

• Love 1

Fun day at Camden Yards.  I think there were eleventybillion home runs today - including a grand slam! 

And then there was dinner.  A good day.

• Love 2

I must have done something horrible in a past life becasue they Cardinals keep letting Tim McCarver call games occasionally.

First he tells the same stories over and over and over again.  And his insight is so on point.."If you see a strike, swing at it." and the other day he went on and on about a player and the number of walk off hits he had only problem was it was the bottom of the 8th not 9th.. 

My favorite was on the field a player were yelling 3, 3, 3, trying to get his teammate with the ball to throw to 3 rd base.  Tim couldn't understand this because 3 is the 1st  baseman number in scoring.

• Love 1
On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

So, is it true that this is the first time the Dodgers have played in Toronto?

No.

And what a Cubs game yesterday!  Turned off a movie I was watching and it was (naturally) on sports channel and I couldn't stop watching in the 10th inning.