Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Ebk57, as our resident Orioles fan I thought of you today while watching the Rays vs. O's game as when they cut to commercial at one point Rays announcer Dewayne Staats gave the then score as Rays 2, Delmon Young 2.

We were at the game today - the first game my friend E has gone to this season.  We decided that Delmon had waited for her to show up before hitting any HRs this year.  Unfortunately, he didn't hit enough to win the game.  Sigh...

Dinner was fabulous, though :-)

• Love 1

Yes, of course.  Although they don't work nearly as hard at keeping the Giants connection alive in New Yorkers' minds as they do the Dodger connection.  It's ridiculous how they hit you over the fucking head with the Jackie Robinson stuff.  DUDES.  You continue the National League legacy in NY.  Fine.  But Jackie Robinson was never a Met.

If you're ever into it, go to a Mets/Giants game. It's a fun experience because it really is about half and half, especially thanks to the NYC Giants bar Finnerty's buying out an entire section and sending buses so that there's a big loud concentrated Giants section. Every time I've gone to a Mets/Giants game, I've been among Giants fans and it's fun (for me, the Giants fan)! 

• Love 2

I checked the promotional schedule of the Brooklyn Cyclones. This is what came up for Seinfeld Night:

Lil' Jerry Bobble Beak

Seinfeld Night 2:
Bigger, Better & Bania

Kids Run the Bases

Jersey Off the Back Raffle

****Van Buren Boys
Sunday Tee Offer ***

And what is a "Bobble Beak," you ask? Take a look at this.

• Love 5
(edited)

Woo! Just found out my company is going to be a corporate partner for MLB. Unfortunately none of the five teams is the Yankees, but I suppose the Royals will do. The others are San Diego, the Giants, Cards and Rangers.

Wait a minute! I didn't read the whole article to see that they will also sponsor a "Reliever of the Year" award to include a partnership with Mo. Squee!

The radio broadcast of Colon's double made me laugh when the announcer said that they track his run time with a sun dial.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Lil' Jerry Bobble Beak

Seinfeld Night 2:

Bigger, Better & Bania

Kids Run the Bases

Jersey Off the Back Raffle

****Van Buren Boys

Sunday Tee Offer ***

So much about this is hysterical that I don't even know where to begin.  I'd completely forgotten about "Little Jerry"!  And if it's a bigger, better, Bania kind of night they'd better not be serving soup as a meal.

• Love 1

I'd really like it if the networks consistently used a graphic to show any major defensive shifts before an at bat. I was watching a Pirates game where the shortstop made a diving stop just to the first base side of second. My first reaction was that it was an Ozzie Smith caliber play. Then I saw the replay and realized he had been positioned almost on the bag and made a pretty routine play from an unusual spot. 

In today's game it would be much more useful than ESPN's strike zone graphic.

• Love 2

I doubt he would make the team anyways because they wouldn't pick a DH, would they? Isn't the game in Cincinnati?

I just looked at the notification again and it definitely says that he is one of the AS leaders. But if you click on it it just takes you to the vote page.

I doubt he would make the team anyways because they wouldn't pick a DH, would they? Isn't the game in Cincinnati?

I just looked at the notification again and it definitely says that he is one of the AS leaders. But if you click on it it just takes you to the vote page.

I guess they would just be an extra player why have them vote for a Designator hitter is they aren't  going to be able to  go?

Also maybe he is lead vote getter from those using that app????

I guess they would just be an extra player why have them vote for a Designator hitter is they aren't  going to be able to  go?

Also maybe he is lead vote getter from those using that app????

I had to ask about the whole DH thing.  They now use the DH in the ASG every year.  But you only get to vote for the position in the AL, since that's the league that has them.  The NL DH is chosen by the manager.

Or something like that...

• Love 1
(edited)
According to the mlb At Bat app notification, A-Rod is a leading All-Star vote getter.

Bwah!  Kendrys Morales (currently DH/1st) has about 4 times that number.

At last count: 27 AL players have more votes than AR.

That app must be a dial-up.

Edited by gutette1
(edited)

Aww Aim I love it. I get so frustrated watching a NL game and the pitcher is throwing a gem but the Cards are down by one and the pitcher is up to bat so Tony LaRussa has to pull him and you end up going through three pitching changes in the bottom of the inning.

(I know that's an ancient example but I don't watch the NL very much)

Edited by mojoween

I can definitely see that. It's probably because I don't see it often unless the Yanks are at a NL park or it's the playoffs. And I always feel badly for the pitcher if the only reason he is pulled is because of his bat. I mean, not everyone can be Bartolo Colon.

• Love 1

I hate the DH also. But for the ASG, pitchers are usually swapped out before their spot would come up in the lineup anyway, so it makes sense to just have another hitter being in the starting lineup. I do think that should be A-Rod. 

As a fan of the Cards, I am patently against the DH and I love NL ball. I may be in the minority, but the home run is one of the least interesting plays to me. Sure, smack it out, run the bases. Yawn. It's much more exciting to me to see singles and doubles, runners trying to stretch bases, hit-and-runs, bunts, stolen bases, etc. Baseball is a slow, thinking game and I like the strategy involved in "small ball." However, I know it's an over-generalization to equate the entire NL with small ball (or say that no AL teams do it).

• Love 2

As a fan of the Cards, I am patently against the DH and I love NL ball. I may be in the minority, but the home run is one of the least interesting plays to me. Sure, smack it out, run the bases. Yawn. It's much more exciting to me to see singles and doubles, runners trying to stretch bases, hit-and-runs, bunts, stolen bases, etc.

I am with you in that minority.   I much prefer manufacturing a run in terms of get 'em on, get 'em over, and get 'em in.  That, to me, is exciting baseball.

Yesterday the Pirates drafted a kid name Kramer . . and a kid name Newman.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Maybe they'll help Keith Hernandez move.

• Love 4

I am with you in that minority. I much prefer manufacturing a run in terms of get 'em on, get 'em over, and get 'em in. That, to me, is exciting baseball.

I agree. Then, a home run can be part of the excitement because it is unexpected. I hate watching batters swing for the fences and know we have only three choices: home run, pop fly, or strike out.

My friend points out that section 1.01 of baseball's official rule book identifies it as a "game between two teams of nine men each." He compliments the AL on whatever sport it is they're playing, but by definition it's not baseball.

• Love 5

My friend points out that section 1.01 of baseball's official rule book identifies it as a "game between two teams of nine men each." He compliments the AL on whatever sport it is they're playing, but by definition it's not baseball.

Thumbs up.  I like that.

• Love 1

Hey...chicks dig the long ball.

I'm not trying to sound stupid, but isn't getting a HR something that everyone wants? I mean, I get what you're saying and I know often getting one when you need two is not the way to go, but that's not a NL/AL distinction, right?

• Love 1

Hey...chicks dig the long ball.

I'm not trying to sound stupid, but isn't getting a HR something that everyone wants? I mean, I get what you're saying and I know often getting one when you need two is not the way to go, but that's not a NL/AL distinction, right?

Not a distinction at all, at least in my opinion.  And you know this chick digs the long ball (the commercial, that is!)

(edited)

Whoever runs the Royals' PR department deserves a huge raise. Seven Royals have a shot at starting in the All Star game. 

Talk about getting out the vote!

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Do a lot or major league players kids get drafted each year or is this year more than normal?

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article/129557462/sons-of-mariano-rivera-kirk-gibson-selected-on-day-2

Daz Cameron - Mike Cameron

Cam Gibson - Kirk Gibson

Ke'Bryan Hayes - Charlie Hayes

Luke Leftwich -Phil Leftwich

Tate Matheny - Mike Matheny

Hutton Moyer- Jamie Moyer

Tyler Nevin - Phil Nevin,

Mariano Rivera Jr. - Mariano Rivera Sr

Jose Vizcaino Jr - Jose Vizcaino

etc...

Whoever runs the Royals' PR department deserves a huge raise. Seven Royals have a shot at starting in the All Star game. 

Talk about getting out the vote!

The last time seven players from one team were elected to start the All-Star game was 1957 when seven Reds were elected. Commisioner Ford Frick made the NL sub Willie Mays and Hank Aaron for Reds Gus Bell and Wally Post and took the vote from the fans. The fans would not regain the vote until 1970.

The A's had six All Stars last year, and during the game Jeff Samardzija was also in the A's roster but he got in as a Cub. So, 6.5? (No, only six, but the photos with all 7 of them last year were fun).

Of those only 2 are still on the roster and 1 has been injured all year, thus them being really bad.

I know I should never feel badly for the opposing pitcher, but damn. Poor Max Scherzer. He most likely wouldn't have pitched in the eighth with 114 pitches, but they should have gotten out of the seventh still tied.

Is anything more sucky than seeing a team you vaguely like get no-hit? Friggin' Mets. I caught the tail end of it . . . why were the last two strikeouts on called strikes? Swing, dammit!

Is anything more sucky than seeing a team you vaguely like get no-hit? Friggin' Mets.

I watched (on TV) Randy Johnson pitch a perfect game against my Braves and when I realized what was unfolding I started rooting for the guy.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love the fact that it would have been a perfect game...except he plunked THREE batters.

And also some useless trivia - the Giants have had a no-hitter four years in a row by three pitchers (Heston, Lincecum twice and some other guy). The last time any team had no-hitters four years in a row was in the 60's with the Dodgers. But they only needed one pitcher to do it, Mr. Sandy Koufax.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2