Type keyword(s) to search

Lifetime's VC Andrews Movies Topic (Flowers In The Attic, The Dollangangers, The Casteels, etc) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes! Cindy was a little baby. Sibling jealousy happens (adopted or biological), but Bart wasn’t a toddler who didn’t know better. He was certainly old enough to know not to hurt a child much smaller than him self. Of all of his early behaviors that was the most alarming. 

Yes- all of the Foxworth women were incredibly beautiful (that happens in some families), but I can believe that Malcolm and Bart were both a little unhinged- and good old fashioned misogyny, gender roles, and the benefit of being born male allowed them to lash out at the women in their lives. 

Oh yes, I do not want to insinuate that the women deserved the creepy obsessions because they were beautiful.

For what it's worth, the Foxworth men were all also considered to be very good-looking.

They were supposed to be an amazingly attractive family...again except for Oliva, who was only "handsome".

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Oh yes, I do not want to insinuate that the women deserved the creepy obsessions because they were beautiful.

For what it's worth, the Foxworth men were all also considered to be very good-looking.

They were supposed to be an amazingly attractive family...again except for Oliva, who was only "handsome".

No no- I didn’t think you were insinuating that. Just that women are often easy targets for men with “issues”. Jealousy is often the spring board for weird behavior between people.

I think Olivia was awful towards Alicia because she was jealous of her (never mind she was an abused teenager for Pete’s sakes and was being raped and held hostage by her weirdo son in law), she was also jealous of Corinne because of her looks and charm- which she could take out on the Dollanganger children. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

No no- I didn’t think you were insinuating that. Just that women are often easy targets for men with “issues”. Jealousy is often the spring board for weird behavior between people.

I think Olivia was awful towards Alicia because she was jealous of her (never mind she was an abused teenager for Pete’s sakes and was being raped and held hostage by her weirdo son in law), she was also jealous of Corinne because of her looks and charm- which she could take out on the Dollanganger children. 

I also think there was how Malcolm treated Corinne compared to everyone else. He treated everyone else including Olivia and their sons like crap. He raped Olivia, beat and terrorized their sons. But Corinne he spoiled and gave her all his attention. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I also think there was how Malcolm treated Corinne compared to everyone else. He treated everyone else including Olivia and their sons like crap. He raped Olivia, beat and terrorized their sons. But Corinne he spoiled and gave her all his attention. 

Yup yup. Now Olivia could have her “revenge”. 

• Love 3

I didn't think Cathy and Corinne were very much alike.  Cathy was perceptive, impulsive, and emotional...while Corrine was controlled, ruthless, and manipulative.

I also thought it was wise to have If there be Thorns be from Jory and Bart's POV...because it presented us with how Cathy appeared to others..not what she thought she came across.

• Love 4

I guess this is a good time for a poll: who thought that Corrine was telling the truth when she said she was trying to make the kids sick enough to sneak them out of the attic? And who thought she was trying to kill them to destroy any evidence that they ever existed because she didn't want to risk losing her inheritance?

But how would sneaking them out of the house help in her plight anyway? And if it could, why not just have them pretend to be sick?!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But how would sneaking them out of the house help in her plight anyway? And if it could, why not just have them pretend to be sick?!

Yeah. Corrine said that so people would try to buy it but she was killing them so people wouldn't find out about the kids so she wouldn't lose the money

• Love 6

Now that I read all these posts in a clump, I am realizing how weird Corinne’s character was! Was she vapid and dumb or a wannabe mustache-twirling criminal mastermind whose evil alter ego and “powers” were activated by returning to the lap of luxury?! 

Also, yes—she probably could have returned to that area and snagged herself a wealthy husband with ease! Surely some rival rich enemy of the Foxworths may have wanted to “get” her into his family!

Yes, although I suppose there are those prequel Attic books but I just cannot bring myself to read them.

Hearing that Corinne I referred to herself as Scarlett O'Hara in 1890, decades before Gone with the Wind was written, was a big "nope!" for me.

Ugh, I read them. Corinne, as a teenager was the envy of all her peers (of course) and would invite a chosen few to, like, sit in the grass and listen to her give what the author named "womanly talks." WTF?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Now that I read all these posts in a clump, I am realizing how weird Corinne’s character was! Was she vapid and dumb or a wannabe mustache-twirling criminal mastermind whose evil alter ego and “powers” were activated by returning to the lap of luxury?! 

I think Corrine was emotionally and intellectually weak- Christopher Sr was her moral compass and her greatest asset was her physical appearance. I do think had she not been edged on by the cruel grandmother and fear of being discovered (the social taboo of having married her uncle), she wouldn't have locked her children in the attic, but brought them home and hired a nanny to care for the little ones, and maybe sent Chris/Carrie off to boarding school while she had a good time partying etc. 

But she knew what she did was wrong, and her way of dealing with it was denial. 

Compared her to Jillian- Jillian was a woman who pimped her daughter out to satisfy the sexual urges of her disgusting husband and keep her lifestyle. I don't think Corinne was woman that would actively pimp her children out, but she would be a woman that would turn a blind eye to their abuse (WHICH SHE DID) if doing so benefited her. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Corrine was emotionally and intellectually weak- Christopher Sr was her moral compass and her greatest asset was her physical appearance. I do think had she not been edged on by the cruel grandmother and fear of being discovered (the social taboo of having married her uncle), she wouldn't have locked her children in the attic, but brought them home and hired a nanny to care for the little ones, and maybe sent Chris/Carrie off to boarding school while she had a good time partying etc. 

But she knew what she did was wrong, and her way of dealing with it was denial. 

Compared her to Jillian- Jillian was a woman who pimped her daughter out to satisfy the sexual urges of her disgusting husband and keep her lifestyle. I don't think Corinne was woman that would actively pimp her children out, but she would be a woman that would turn a blind eye to their abuse (WHICH SHE DID) if doing so benefited her. 

Yup, Jillian was like Corrine pumped to 100.

They both were like fairy tales about the dangers of having too much pretty privilege.

Or course their daughters were just as beautiful but had much more substance.

6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Also, yes—she probably could have returned to that area and snagged herself a wealthy husband with ease! Surely some rival rich enemy of the Foxworths may have wanted to “get” her into his family!

Ugh, I read them. Corinne, as a teenager was the envy of all her peers (of course) and would invite a chosen few to, like, sit in the grass and listen to her give what the author named "womanly talks." WTF?!

Good Lord those books were horrible.

It is like the author was not even trying to make an interesting story.

That book was so disappointing...original recipe Corrine could have been fascinating. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Yup, Jillian was like Corrine pumped to 100.

They both were like fairy tales about the dangers of having too much pretty privilege.

Or course their daughters were just as beautiful but had much more substance.

I think the scariest thing is that there are more Corrines in the world than Jillians. Corrine's situation is extreme, but there are a lot of people who lack a moral compass. They wouldnt overtly do things to hurt their kids (or other defenseless people) but they would be more than happy to stand by and not do anything to stop it from happening. 

Any mother (or parent) worth their salt would've said 'fuck no' at the idea at locking their children in an attic. Corrine could've left them with a neighbor and sent money back for their support, I am sure SOMEONE wouldve bought the sob story of the beautiful widow who's husband had died and she was going home to her rich parents to make amends.

• Love 4

KELSEY GRAMMER! And Harry Hamlin -- is this production funded by the Real Housewives of BH?!

And, weird--what timing for this article, just as we're all talking about it today. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Max Irons will be a GOOD Malcolm Foxworth!! Being his father’s son he has huge shoes to fill, but he can act and is prettier than Jeremy. 

I loved him in The White Queen (Starz, 2013), when he said “I will not die in battle, but in the bed of the most beautiful Queen England has ever known.” I legit FAINTED it was so steamy. So he can bring the sexy and then turn on a dime into cruel. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Max Irons will be a GOOD Malcolm Foxworth!! Being his father’s son he has huge shoes to fill, but he can act and is prettier than Jeremy. 

I loved him in The White Queen (Starz, 2013), when he said “I will not die in battle, but in the bed of the most beautiful Queen England has ever known.” I legit FAINTED it was so steamy. So he can bring the sexy and then turn on a dime into cruel. 

I love Max as Malcolm.

One of the few actor offspring that is even hotter than his famous father

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I love Max as Malcolm.

One of the few actor offspring that is even hotter than his famous father

Jeremy Irons is a fine actor, and not a bad looking man, but Max looks like his Mom. He got the pretty of his Mom with the strong jaw of his Dad which makes for a very handsome man!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jeremy Irons is a fine actor, and not a bad looking man, but Max looks like his Mom. He got the pretty of his Mom with the strong jaw of his Dad which makes for a very handsome man!

Totally agree and just like you…this man makes me swoon.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Max Irons as Malcolm?

Sign me up!

I have been waiting for the FITA prequel so for them to make it into a longer series is just fine with me.

Its gonna be good! you guys think we will get it after the holidays? Or will we have to wait an entire year.

• Love 2
On 4/9/2015 at 10:44 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I only really plan on watching the last one because I want to do very naughty things to James Maslow.

It's unreal to me that this is the same guy who was in the kid/teen show Big Time Rush!  Wow, talk about a difference in roles!!!

9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t know anything about The Cutler series- can anyone give me an emotional run down better than Wikipedia?

oOhh Ohh! mee!

Okay - so Cutlers. 

Dawn is the main protag (the Cathy/Heather). She dreams of being a singer and of course is the best singer who ever sung ever in life. She lives with her brother Jimmy and her parents and they are poor. I think they bounce around from place to place. but they are settled somewhere because Momma is pregnant. They settle in some town Virginia, where Cutler's Cove (a posh resort/hotel is). Dawn finally feels like a real girl and goes to school where Daddy found a job as a janitor and has a crush on Phillip Cutler. Clara Sue Cutler hates Dawn's guts coz she's trailer trash. Because this is a VCA novel, Jimmy has some naughty thoughts about Dawn because they share a bed and Dawn is like "dude, we're brother and sister, plus i love PHILLIP"

Dawn is a great singer (the best singer who ever sung don'tcha know) and her favourite song to sing is "Somewhere over the Rainbow." she gets the part in the school musical or something and life is going along great, Momma gives birth to a baby girl (Fern). she's all in love with Phillip. Then Momma gets sick. (pneumonia or something) and she (Momma) is trying to fix it with backwoods stuffs. Day of the Musical thingy. Momma is really sick but gives Dawn a necklace or something - and goes sing your heart out. Dawn does thiis. Daddy finds Dawn and gets Jimmy because Momma is REALLY SICK NOW and they have to go to a hospital even though they always avoided things like that.

They go to the hospital, and a security guard is looking at them all sus like. but no one cares because Momma is dying. Oh wait she's dead now. died from Pneumonia like stuffs. Everyone is sadz, but then the Police show up. Dawn is all "the eff is going on, police?" and Police goes. "little girl we're here to take you to your REAL parents. Your Daddy and Momma kidnapped you as a baby!" (Daddy doesn't deny this at al, so Dawn's mind is blown) Dawn goes "whose my real family?" and the cops are like. "Cutlers." Now Dawn is super sad because boyfriend phllip who she kissed and loves is her brother  Fern  + Jimmy are sent away to Foster Care. 

Lillian (Grandma Cutler) comes gets her and it's clear that Lillian has zero time for Dawn. She takes her to Cutler's Cove and makes her be a maid (everyone works at CC but Dawn gets the menial stuff). Laura Sue (Dawn's birth mother) a more vapid Jillian-esque (all about her looks and is all  "delicate") and Randolph (Dawn's Birth Father) is really sweet but kinda Mama's Boy and no one really stands up to Lillian or how Lillian treats her. Philip can't get over the fact that Dawn - his one true love - is now his sister and Clara Sue is pissed off that they are related too.  Dawn and Clara Sue snipe at each other a lot. 

Phillip so can't handle the fact that they are related that he almost rapes Dawn. (this is really sketch because he does penetrates her but he doesn't get off or anything. but Dawn is convinced she  was raped raped). stuff happens that i can't remember. Lillian and Dawn face off and it comes out that Randolph is not her father, Laura Sue was a whore and screwed anything that moved so Dawn's real daddy was some musician drifter declares Lillian.. Dawn is horrified and everything sucks, so Lillian and she decide to that she'll leave cutler's cove (to get away from Phillip), and train musically in NYC. Dawn agrees and also thinks this is a great time to get to find Jimmy. 

In Book 2. Lillian told the dorm-mistress that Dawn was kinda slutty so the dorm mistress kinda has more rules for Dawn than anyone else. Dawn doesn't care because she writes to jimmy a lot and they realize thy actually do like each other in that way and it's TOTES okay because they aren't even related! (So Jimmy's naughty feeelings for Dawn is totally cool and forgotten, and we're ignoring they were raised as siblings) In Super Fancy Music school, Dawn charms everyone with her super fancy singing voice, including the new teacher Michael Sutton. Michael Sutton totally seduces Dawn and Dawn ignores Jimmy and has a passionate love affair with Michael and she dreams about being a big broadway star and Michael being this big producer, until. OH NOES! Dawn is pregnant! (because of course she is! it's book 2!!)  Michael naturally splits and Dawn is so upset she runs in the middle of the street and gets smacked by a cab! When she wakes up in the hospital, Lillian is there going. "you stupid slut. I knew this was going to happen" and basically is all. you dumbo getting pregnant by a teacher and takes her to Virginia to Lillian's childhood home The Oaks (or something like that) where her sister Emily (who is looney tunes), other sister Charlotte (who is mentally stunted) and the groundskeeper Luthier live. Dawn is trapped in this house, and Emily is feeding her castor oil or something, Dawn does something dumb (because it's Dawn) and the baby comes early. (a Girl, whom she names Christy). Emily takes the baby away, dawn is all disraught, Jimmy finds her, rescues her, and Lillian died from a heart attack.In all of that we realize the real truth. Dawn IS a cutler by blood - her father was  WILLIAM CUTLER, Lillian's husband! Dun Dun DAAHHHHH. and Dawn was given mucho pieces of the Cutler Cove. and Randolph just loses his mind because of the death of his Mom + knowing Dawn wasn't his. Dawn and Jimmy vow to get Fern AND Christy back!!

Book 3. 
Dawn gets Christy back LOL. there's a bit of legal drama, but she is gotten back, and they work to get Fern back too. Fern is BIG. TROUBLE (think Fanny-like behaviour). Fern loves Jimmy, and Hates Dawn.  Dawn and Jimmy are planning to get married. Phillip gets Married to someone name Betty Anne? (I think that's her). but Phillip is still crazy gaga over Dawn so always makes comments that are totally VCAish LOL and creeps out Dawn. Phillip and Betty Anne have Twins (Melanie and Richard).  Randolph commits suicide. Laura Sue now free of Lillian an Randolph is a lot more out and open. She gets back together with her one true love. (Can't remember his name). but New Laura Sue Guy and Dawn are kinda close and he does tell Dawn that he believes that Laura Sue was raped by Bill Cutler because Laura Sue came to him freaked out one night but couldn't tell him what happened. He admits he never slept with Laura Sue even though it's clear they were always in love. Oh and Clara Sue dies. (i think? I feel she dies. LOL or crippled. one of the two and Dawn is like upset about it). Basically this one is really just... filler. (maybe i was wrong and this is where Dawn finds out about Bill Cutler but i'm pretty sure that was book after Lillian dies). basically a lot of Dawn v. Fern, and Clara Sue v. Dawn, and creepy Philip. oh and Dawn has another baby (Jefferson). Oh And JImmy' dad has another baby (Gavin). 

Book 4
Christy's story (which is as useless as Annie's). Basically Dawn and Jimmy literally die in a fire because neither one of those dumbos could leave each other, ignoring the fact that they had two kids. Phillip and Betty Ann take custody of the two kids, and Christy is sad and miserable. So are betty ann and her twins. it's clear that these twins studied at the Chris and Cathy school of inappropriate behaviour (acccording to Christy) because they take baths together and he brushes her hair, and it's jjust creepy. Melanie hates Christy because Phillip is ALWAYS AROUND CHRISTY. Christy is musical (like dawn) but she plays piano vs. Singing like Dawn. Phillip still crazy crazy lusting over Dawn after all these years rapes Christy. (rapes rapes her). Christy takes Jefferson and they go to the Oaks. Emily is still there who is crazy crazy. and everything. Basically we find out that Luthier and Charlotte had sexy times and had a baby. Gavin (who is in love with Christy because this is a VCA novel). finds Christy on the plantation and they have sex ad they try to escape. This book is useless.

Book 5
Laura Sue's. (HAH you'd think, but no. it's LILLIAN'S story).  long story short. Lillian's father raped Lillian, Charlotte is Lillian's. Lillian escaped the plantation, swore as God as her witness she'd never be weak again, and marries Bill Cutler. We never see exactly what happened between Laura Sue and Bill - this book was useless too. like Dawn legit could have ended after book 3. 

LOL all of that was off the top of my head - like i said maybe some of book 2 was in book 3 but  that's the gist of it. I know i wrote it more in a mocking tone but it was really actually relatively decent. (Dawn/Book 2 for sure) but Dawn out of Cathy-Heaven-Dawn-Ruby legit was the stupidest. like you never really understood WHY Phillip was so obsessed with Dawn other than "VCA trope brother must lust after sister." and basically that's what you get with Jimmy and Dawn too. Jimmy at least thought it was groody. there are a lot of pieces i forgot but again this was off the top of my head and i haven't read Dawn in AGES (not like Dolls/heaven). :) but i hope that helps a bit. 

• Love 11

Wow that was kinda brilliant. Thank you. 

Dawn is raped by a guy (Philip) that used to be her boyfriend that she thought was her brother but actually isn’t her brother but her nephew. And then Philip rapes his great niece (Dawn’s Daughter) Chrissy. 

Hot Damn. Awful. And not trashy awful but traumatic awful. 

I know that tragically sexual assault is a big part of so many women (and men’s) stories so of course I’m not against seeing it in fiction, but the ghostwriter is sounding like a one trick pony. 

Again THANK YOU.

• Love 6

Good lord. I'm glad I stopped after book two. 

Don't forget Dawn's rape scene used the EXACT words as when Cathy was raped by Chris. Still not over the ghostwriter's incompetence (or was it sheer arrogance thinking he'd get away with it?)

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Wow that was kinda brilliant. Thank you. 

you are tres welcome. (it's actually scary that i remembered so much of that - and then now ask me what i remember from school LOL). 

the Cutlers was actually the first VCA experience I had. I read them and then Dolls, Heaven. then Ruby. So the Cutlers kinda have a special place in my heart because as bad as it is LOL it was what introduced me to VCA. and they did have that note in the beginning that VCA left "notes" when she died. so for me, it made it seem that VCA wrote a good chunk of Cutlers but died before she finished (but of course now we know that's not the case). 

I would say  - at least read Book 1 and 2. You could even probably read 3 just to get a bow on everything. but like Heaven and Ruby -  the last two books are very clearly obviously following the formula. Christy's book brings nothing to the table. because no one really cared about Charlotte and Luthier having a baby or Emily blackmailing Luthier because of it. You never got to know what really happened between Laura Sue and Bill Cutler.(and even if we did it wouldn't have been satisfactory either). Melody's story had the same issue. SO many Questions in regards to Melody's heritage - but they did the "grandmother story." like if there was a story to tell (spoilers: none). 

It hasn't(or didn't) occur to the ghost writer the reason why we got Jory/Bart's story is to show that for two books Cathy was all "I'd NEVER be like my mother," and their story showed that actually, kind of yeah - Cathy was a bit LIKE Corinne. We never got Corrine's story, because we didn't need her story. We were told her story through Cathy. And then Olivia's story put the cherry on top of WHY everything was so tawdry. 

I think i mentioned it before, I would have rather prefered a Lolita style telling for Leigh/Tony (because that would have been different-unique - not excusing Tony for touching a 12-13 year old but it woulda just been interesting because everyone painted Leigh as this sainty angel... and then her book is like, yah she was. - but the Jillian twist was cool). 

Lillian basically just showed her dealing with crap then marrying a crappy husband and then because Dawn was so dumb half the time you're like. yeah if i were the grandmother, I would be irritated with her too LOL. but the gothicness was totally shoe-horned and you never really got "why". Why was Jimmy sexually attracted to Dawn when they were raised as siblings? Why did Dawn wanna be with Jimmy sexually when she was raised by Siblings? Why was Phillip SO OBSESSED over Dawn to the point he made betty anne dye her hair and dress up like dawn at night (then really have him break down, rape Christy and walk around in Dawn's nightgown).  and then basically repeat Annie and Luke with Christy and Gavin (and both of them just severely suck). it's a shame

but a trashy fun shame LOL

• Love 5

This is gonna sound terrible, but the worst part about the Cutler series, beyond the copycat, word for word rape scene lifted from FITA is that Dawn was so BORING. Even the poor man’s Fanny, Clara Sue, couldn’t save this shit. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

OMG - I cannot wait!

Them including the Grandmother's own words from her letter with her will/diary makes me very hopeful.

But we all know, it's VC Andrews...even if it's bad, it's still good. 

The younger Corrine actress is perfect - she could pass for a younger Heather Graham.

Although Malcolm should be blond (but it's Max, so I don't mind) and Alicia should be a strawberry blond, but I won't quibble because I'm just so excited for this. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

OMG - I cannot wait!

Them including the Grandmother's own words from her letter with her will/diary makes me very hopeful.

But we all know, it's VC Andrews...even if it's bad, it's still good. 

The younger Corrine actress is perfect - she could pass for a younger Heather Graham.

Although Malcolm should be blond (but it's Max, so I don't mind) and Alicia should be a strawberry blond, but I won't quibble because I'm just so excited for this. 

They must have heard the complaints of the multiple people who have stated that these movies should have been miniseries, because that's how they're going to present this one. In fact, it's actually a limited series of four episodes to be aired over as many weeks.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/flowers-attic-origin-trailer-shows-200342292.html

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

The trailer for "Garden Of Shadows", though Lifetime isn't calling it that:

This actually looks more in keeping with the tone of the books.

I am excited!!!

• Love 5

Naomi Judd, the country star who played Grandmere in Ruby died. (She’s also the mother of Ashley and Wynonna Judd). I had not seen her in anything in a while before that role- I liked what she brought to it. A prequel about Grandmere’s life would’ve been interesting. 

• Love 2