Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Chef's Dinner

With the season nearing the halfway point things are starting to pick up. It seems like Janet is recruiting Pettifleur for her "team" since Gamble has taken to Gina. I had a like/dislike with just about everyone this episode. Some things that stuck out:

The dinner arrangement was amazing. No wonder Chyka and Bruce are so successful. I caught her gossiping again about Gamble's nouveau riche comment. It wasn't malicious but it did make me take pause.

Do people still refer Sri Lanka as Ceylon?  My understanding is that Sri Lanka officially came to be almost 45 years ago. Pettifleur would've been a little girl when that happened but I get this feeling that she's trying to make her background into this whirlwind of...more than it is. Despite that I got a kick out of her exchange with Gamble:

G: Everyone's been saying that you're calling me stupid.

P: Are you?
G: Are you?
P: Are you? I asked you the question.
G: Are you on occasion or not?
P: No, I asked you. Are you?
G: No. Are you?
P: No. I'm not.
G: Do you have moments of stupidity?
P: Never.
G: I do.
P: Ah Well there you go, then I am justified.

*zing*

I knew strippergate wasn't over but damnit if Janet's TH where she started whipping her arm again (and quoting rap songs) didn't make me laugh. Everybody whipping their arms during the singing at dinner (and Chyka telling Janet to stand up) wasn't lost on me either. I won't be able to get that out of my head now.

I'm scared to think what Gamble was like pre-Wolfie without him to reign her in. She is quite a special bird. I wondered if there was anything behind her TH about Lydia being able to her share her tragedy with everyone while not everyone else could. Gamble could easily be a woman in her 40s who never wanted children or circumstances didn't pan out that way but the thought she had a similar story to Lydia's crossed my mind.

Another exchange I laughed at:

Lydia: We never believe we're great mothers.
Gina: I do.
(translation: 'speak for yourself, sweetheart.')

The dress Gina donated looked like the one she wore for the Season 1 promos where everyone's occupation was listed on the screen and Lydia's was simply "jet owner." That makes me laugh every time along with Lydia's comment about Gamble being blonde and not being able to understand her, because pots, kettles and all that jazz. I appreciated that rare vulnerable moment when she discussed losing her first son shortly after his birth.

• Love 6

I'm pretty surprised at how my loyalties have settled this season. I went in thinking that I'd be on Team Pettifleur and that Gamble would be the next Andrea. I then switched completely after two episodes and ended up loving Gamble and strongly disliking Pettifleur. And after this whole strippergate fiasco I've flipped back to my original stance.

I'm disappointed in Gamble. She's basically come into this season as an audience insert and is channelling all the frustration at Janet (and to a lesser degree Lydia) that people felt towards them in Season 1. Except she doesn't have anything tangible to hate Janet for so she's dragging out this rumour drama. I used to feel sorry for her being picked on by Pettifleur but I've since realised that Gamble can just as easily dish it out.

Even though she's fairly delusional and a bit on an elitist, Pettifleur brings a lot of fun and sassiness to the show (also Sri Lanka represent) so I'd rather be on her side than Gamble's right now. Wonder how Janet and Pettifleur's alliance is going to be affected when Pettifleur finds out what Janet originally thought of her.

I'm a pretty passionate Gina fan but even I can acknowledge that she's being messy this season and using Gamble to her advantage. Which honestly I'm alright with because last season Gina wasn't really allowed to be her own person. She was on the defence from the get-go. Just because Janet and Lydia were the villains last season doesn't mean that they can't be seen in a more sympathetic light this time around.

It's the 5th episode of the season and I feel like nothing has really happened.

If it was an american version of the show, I would dismiss it as just reintroducing everyone to the wives and getting the conflicts going.. but I think there is only like 10 or 11 episodes.

With that said, I would have loved to have seen Lydia being mother of the groom, even if we couldn't see the wedding.. I would have liked to have seen some of her day to day stuff since she seems to have actual stuff going on in her life that doesn't involve the other women.  We've witnessed Pettifleur's day to day activities and I'm finding her to not be very likable.  Especially in this episode with the way she was speaking to the salesperson, me thinks she wouldn't like it if the shoe was on the other foot and she was the salesperson.  Maybe someone should tweet that to her?

Gamble is interesting though I do think she should have just laughed the talk off and moved on thus not giving Janet any screen-time.  I can sort of understand why Gina is kind of protective of her because Gamble is the gang-up victim this season.. and even Chyka isn't in her corner that much this season.

I can sort of understand why Gina is kind of protective of her because Gamble is the gang-up victim this season.. and even Chyka isn't in her corner that much this season.

Really? I'd almost say that Janet is the gang-up victim of this season. 

Don't get me wrong- I hated Janet and her behaviour last season. But I think it's pretty evident that she (and Lydia) have come into this season with a humbled and more self-aware perspective. Judging her solely on her behaviour this season, Janet hasn't done anything wrong. She made a friendly jab about Gina being a drag queen (which wasn't really an insult in context) and tried to help Gamble by making her aware of rumours about her. I've done the exact same things with friends in the past and it didn't warrant anywhere near the reaction Janet got.

Would it be a way more fun season if Janet and Lydia still were evil, and were actively trying to destroy innocent Gamble? Hell yes! I'd pay my life savings to see that. But that's simply not the reality and I don't think people should pretend that it is.

I loved Janet's top with the cutaways on the shoulders. Very nice. And the darker man at the speed dating event? Yum.

Lydia is very dull. And I'm not talking about her hair.

Wolfie is a prince. Chyka's husband is charming, as well.

Pettifleur hasn't had a moment in life that isn't about herself. Case in point: Taking her son out to buy a suit. Me, me, me is very boring, and making people tell you how great you are all the time is not very nice, especially when they are working on commission or accepting an expensive suit from Mum. Manipulative to the max.

Pettifleur looked much better with her toned down makeup later on, when she was lunching with? Jackie?

Jackie: You're full of shit, but nice try trying to get us to believe that you talk to angels. Also, she was quite the busybody telling Gamble and Rick how to act at Chyka's dinner. Talking to angels doesn't make you the boss of anybody, not even the angels.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm starting to think that Lady Cassandra O'Brien of Doctor Who fame, I mean Janet, must have had her plastic surgery done in a nightclub because she didn't look half bad during speed dating. I don't know why she insists on this younger man business because every time she's with a younger guy on camera she seems to beg off and find someone closer to her own age. Also Jackie, old money tends not to be able to show that they've ever earned their own money. It's the nature of old money. If her point was that being old money is not admirable, she failed miserably.

Jackie can STFU. I didn't see Gamble laughing. She seemed to be reflecting on Lydiot's words and remembering times of good parenting either her parents or Wolfe's. Jackie seems to have drunk the kool aid.

If it sounds like I'm team Gamble, I'm not. I actually can't stand anyone save Chyka. I think Gina is picking Gamble's side because she still doesn't trust Janet is afraid of being turned on like last season and is recruiting an ally. I think Pettifleur is rude and abrasive especially to clerks and service people. I find it unbelievably tacky. Jackie is more annoying than last season. She's a self righteous scold who doesn't realize that she's very good at cold reading. Lydiot is a sex idiot, but she hasn't bothered me too much. Gamble is a lazy dumb gold digger. And Janet is the ghost of Kylie Minogue's future and hasn't stopped being a shit stirring busybody for a second. And she seems to have infected her best bud Jackie.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6

Jackie can STFU. I didn't see Gamble laughing. She seemed to be reflecting on Lydiot's words and remembering times of good parenting either her parents or Wolfe's. Jackie seems to have drunk the kool aid.

I think Jackie just couldn't stand that Lydia was the center of attention and had to bring the spotlight around.  Watch her at get together's she can't stand someone else having attention and always comes up with a way to make it about her.  

Gamble - not sure yet if she is from money or chasing money.  I can't wait until next week when we get to Sydney and meet the family.  That will tell the tale.  If she is from big Sydney money then Janet will need medication.  Did Janet hire a coach who is working on keeping her nasty to minimum?  The fake tears are just too much for me.  It's the standard redemption arc.  Unfortunately for Janet she just can't stop being an asshole.  She at her heart is just as black as ever.

• Love 2

The TH with Janet imitating Gamble again, loved it! I laughed out loud, again. 

Gamble does not know how to let things go and her fiancé is a wise man, she should take heed. 

Chyka's dinner party made me want to be there, gorgeous table scape.  I don't remember seeing any real food though, just test tube soup and cryo marshmallows.  I want her big bow she was wearing at her party, I have a black strapless dress that is crying out for that look.  If anyone knows where to get a pre tied bow like that PM me ASAP!

Why did Lydia have to be a Debbie Downer at someone else's dinner party. Boo hiss.  I thought that was a big party foul on her part.

Oh yeah, Jackie needs to zip it, the dating thing was embarrassing enough to watch without her idiotic comments, your not psychic.  The whole make upless La Mascara thing was dumb too.  She was really being an ass towards Gamble at the dinner, what difference does it make to her if Gamble makes eyes at her fiancé?

• Love 5

Chyka and Bruce seem to be marvelous hosts - that was a lovely dinner table, and the singing waiters looked like such fun.

Gina's still bringing it; loved her comments about Jackie's stupid insistence on saging - "If I were haunting someone and they burned sage, I'd just laugh".   She'll give any ghost a run for their money!

Pettifleur is insufferable, and Gamble's not far from it.   Wolfie seems like a nice man, though.

Janet's face continues to scare me.

I'm looking forward to Sydney.  :-)

• Love 5

Do people still refer Sri Lanka as Ceylon?  My understanding is that Sri Lanka officially came to be almost 45 years ago. Pettifleur would've been a little girl when that happened but I get this feeling that she's trying to make her background into this whirlwind of...more than it is. Despite that I got a kick out of her exchange with Gamble

That Pettifleur continues to insist that she is from Ceylon--which isn't a place--is definitely suspect. I used to work with people from Sri Lanka, and that is exactly how they identified their nation of origin. And--big surprise--no one was confused! I think Pettifleur says "Ceylon" either because "Ceylon" sounds more romantic, or because it's confusing, which allows Pettifleur to "make a whirlwind of her background," and/or sound more European than she is. Who is she fooling--she has a caramel complexion and a Sri Lankan accent? It's so much more beautiful for one to embrace their background, and share it with others. Why is she secure to the point of obnoxiousness on everything, but insecure about this?

I don't care if Pettifleur's country of origin had a different name when she was born. Names change. The Germans didn't seem to have a problem dropping the "East" and "West" from their country's name when the Cold War ended. If I ever run into Pettifleur (which is soo likely to happen,) I'm going to tell her I'm from "the colonies" and let her run with that.

At the chef's dinner, Pettifleur's conversation with Gamble about "nouveau riche" vs "old money" made no sense to me. It started out making sense. Gamble makes her point as to why she thinks Pettifleur's nouvea riche. In what appears to be a response to a question, Gamble gives her reasons as to why she considers herself to be old money. Then Pettifleur begins to demand to know how Gamble makes her money from day-to-day--which has no bearing on whether one has old money or not. Maybe the editing was wonky and they had changed the subject. Or maybe Pettifleur couldn't argue against Gamble's old money, so she had to try to get a hit in elsewhere.

• Love 5
(edited)

I want her big bow she was wearing at her party, I have a black strapless dress that is crying out for that look.  If anyone knows where to get a pre tied bow like that PM me ASAP!

I think we saw that big bow thingy in an earlier episode when Chyka was going through her closet. She said Bruce gave it to her. Being a cynical old reality TV watcher, I immediately wondered if it was product placement. Also, I'm beginning to be annoyed at so much product placement for her businesses.

If Chyka would tone down the eyebrows, I'd be OK with her makeup.

And I guess Strippergate started when the producers told Chyka to bring it up the first time.

No sympathy at all for Lydia. Nice try with a plea for viewer sympathy with the dead baby story. Way to harsh the mellow, Lydia.

I think Gamble seems to be a sloppy mean drunk, with the hubbie as her behavior enforcer.

Honestly, is Jackie brain dead? Do we ever hear her say anything intelligent? I'm predicting that Ben dumps her down the road.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

Pettifleur still irks me. Even her name is suspect.

I also wonder what the gay couple is going to do with Gina's dress..

Jackie and Ben trying to pick potential models was hilarious. It's no secret now that she totally runs his life. That's kind of sad.

Janet still looks like the crypt keeper and I thought her speed dating deal was weird. Cougar night? Ick. I know it's a thing but not something I'd ever be into.

• Love 3

Pettifleur is a robot and she confuses me. When questioned she doesn't answer she just goes off on a tangent. It's like she asks how someone is then stops and says "hey enough about you, how do you like me?"

I want to cut that scraggly hair on Ben's head.

They are all acting sooooo hard and it's annoying.

• Love 1

I want her big bow she was wearing at her party, I have a black strapless dress that is crying out for that look.  If anyone knows where to get a pre tied bow like that PM me ASAP!

Just check Chyka's blog, she posts breakdowns of most of the outfits she wears.

(edited)

That Pettifleur continues to insist that she is from Ceylon--which isn't a place--is definitely suspect. I used to work with people from Sri Lanka, and that is exactly how they identified their nation of origin. And--big surprise--no one was confused! I think Pettifleur says "Ceylon" either because "Ceylon" sounds more romantic, or because it's confusing, which allows Pettifleur to "make a whirlwind of her background," and/or sound more European than she is. Who is she fooling--she has a caramel complexion and a Sri Lankan accent? It's so much more beautiful for one to embrace their background, and share it with others. Why is she secure to the point of obnoxiousness on everything, but insecure about this?

As someone who actually is Sri-Lankan, I know plenty of people from my parents generation who identify as being from Ceylon. It's extremely common (not to trump your extensive experience with those few people you worked with) and a complete non-issue.

I find it irritating how much people fixate on Pettifleur's ethnicity. She is first and foremost Australian. None of the other housewives are expected to broadcast their ethnicities to validate themselves. Has anyone asked what country Gamble is from originally? How Pettifleur ethnically identifies is a minute detail and entirely up to her.

Also- Pettifleur is burgher. Her claims to European ancestry are entirely legitimate and people who doubt it should do a little research first.

Edited by GuyAwks
  • Love 3
(edited)

As someone who actually is Sri-Lankan, I know plenty of people from my parents generation who identify as being from Ceylon. It's extremely common (not to trump your extensive experience with those few people you worked with) and a complete non-issue.

I find it irritating how much people fixate on Pettifleur's ethnicity. She is first and foremost Australian. None of the other housewives are expected to broadcast their ethnicities to validate themselves. Has anyone asked what country Gamble is from originally? How Pettifleur ethnically identifies is a minute detail and entirely up to her.

Also- Pettifleur is burgher. Her claims to European ancestry are entirely legitimate and people who doubt it should do a little research first.

My point is that Pettifleur is engaging with others where information asymmetry exists. Pettifleur knows that Ceylon is the former name of Sri Lanka, while at least some of the people who are receiving this information (other Housewives, the TV-watching audience) may not. Judging by the ease with which Pettifleur could correct the information asymmetry ("I'm from Sri Lanka, which used to be called Ceylon,") Pettifleur is being deliberately confusing, for reasons I've already speculated about up thread. This behavior is clearly not "a complete non-issue," because I care about it, and it's been pointed out earlier on this board. All I'm advocating with regard to Pettifleur is a little bit of honesty and accuracy in the areas in which she cares to share. No one forced Pettifleur to share this info either. If she didn't want to deal with it or talk about Sri Lanka, she could have politely demurred to discuss it (Pettifleur being polite? I know, I know).

If someone had asked Gamble about her ethnicity, and she said she was from "French Indochina" when she was really from Vietnam, I'd have the same reservations and concerns about how and whether she's trying to manipulate her background and past. It's your opinion that it's "a minute detail." Others may believe it's germane to her honesty and or/character.

Finally, there is no one that I'm aware of who claims that Pettifleur isn't at least partially European in her ethnic background. I believe she said she was Dutch, Portoguese, and...French? And I think it's common knowledge that Pettifleur is Australian. That's her nationality. These items are not in controversy, so that's probably why they're not being discussed.

Edited by Mya Stone
  • Love 2

Nothing jazzes up a dinner party like a guest going on at length about the baby that died in her arms shortly after she gave birth to it.

I know, what the hell was that? How did she go from talking about her son's wedding to talking about dead babies?

Very strange dinner party conversation.

I love Lydia though. I can't help it. She is my late cousin Debbie's twin. I wish I could post a picture of my cousin. You all would think she's Lydia. Its chilling to me how much they look alike.

• Love 2

I'm starting to think that Lady Cassandra O'Brien of Doctor Who fame, I mean Janet, must have had her plastic surgery done in a nightclub because she didn't look half bad during speed dating. I don't know why she insists on this younger man business because every time she's with a younger guy on camera she seems to beg off and find someone closer to her own age. Also Jackie, old money tends not to be able to show that they've ever earned their own money. It's the nature of old money. If her point was that being old money is not admirable, she failed miserably.

If it sounds like I'm team Gamble, I'm not. I actually can't stand anyone save Chyka. I think Gina is picking Gamble's side because she still doesn't trust Janet is afraid of being turned on like last season and is recruiting an ally. I think Pettifleur is rude and abrasive especially to clerks and service people. I find it unbelievably tacky. Jackie is more annoying than last season. She's a self righteous scold who doesn't realize that she's very good at cold reading. Lydiot is a sex idiot, but she hasn't bothered me too much. Gamble is a lazy dumb gold digger. And Janet is the ghost of Kylie Minogue's future and hasn't stopped being a shit stirring busybody for a second. And she seems to have infected her best bud Jackie.

Bolded emphasis mine. This entire post is spot-on! Particularly the bit about Pettifleur. I absolutely can not stand her. The way that she thinks that anyone who "serves" her should be happy to give her the clothes of their back. Disgusting. She also makes little bitchy digs all the time because she expects people to not have the balls to stand up to her. "I don't like your handbag." "What did you do to your hair? I mean did you dye it?" I have yet to see any redeeming qualities in her.

This may sound like a horrible thing to say, and I don't say it with any malice whatsoever, but I believe that something is quite off about Gambol. I have absolutely no basis for this, but I think that she may have had a breakdown/break from reality at some point. Some of her quirks seem like mental illness, and the dynamic of her and her partner speaks to this as well.

I loved Janet's top with the cutaways on the shoulders. Very nice. And the darker man at the speed dating event? Yum.

Lydia is very dull. And I'm not talking about her hair.

Wolfie is a prince. Chyka's husband is charming, as well.

Pettifleur hasn't had a moment in life that isn't about herself. Case in point: Taking her son out to buy a suit. Me, me, me is very boring, and making people tell you how great you are all the time is not very nice, especially when they are working on commission or accepting an expensive suit from Mum. Manipulative to the max.

Pettifleur looked much better with her toned down makeup later on, when she was lunching with? Jackie?

Jackie: You're full of shit, but nice try trying to get us to believe that you talk to angels. Also, she was quite the busybody telling Gamble and Rick how to act at Chyka's dinner. Talking to angels doesn't make you the boss of anybody, not even the angels.

Janet's face hurts me with all that plastic surgery but I love the way she dresses.  I wish she had left her face alone.  I bet she would've been rather beautiful.

Wolfie is a doll.  And I think he's dashing with his grey hair.  Surely he could do better than that woman?  She's not even remotely attractive, particularly with the plastic surgery that makes her look like she's 60.

Chyka.  I love her.  She's just a classy woman.

Lydia.  She's a dim bulb but her story was lovely and the emotion real.

I agree Pettifleur looked fantastic at her lunch with Janet.  She looks pretty with the toned down make-up.  

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 1