Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Part 4

The family adjusts to Danny's new role at the inn. John and Marco discover a burned boat connected to their murder case.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks!

Meg's fiance doesn't seem to deserve all this cheating that she's doing. 

I'm wondering why they even bothered to invite Danny, at all. Aside from the fact that there would be no show. I'm curious as to why they keep going back and forth, and wonder if he did try to kill his dad. The dad seems so frail, I almost can't watch.

Another dead girl. Those poor girls. 

• Love 2

My perception is that they invited Danny back primarily for their mother's sake.  Perhaps also because he'd been away long enough for their sentimental feelings towards him to grow a bit stronger than their feelings of distrust.  

Really great scene at the end with Danny and the father.  It's interesting to me how they've allowed a traumatic event in the distant past define their present relationship, rather than confront it and come to some resolution.  But maybe when the death of a child is involved, resolution is a very difficult thing.  

• Love 3

Yes, that's how it seems to me now, too.  The 'switched twins' hints in ep 3 seem to have been red herrings.  

These people are really passive aggressive.  What kind of father holds a grudge for decades over a childhood accident?  Not that I know what happened but young Danny looks pretty upset.  

The way he's rushing home panicked in the boat makes you think it's a drowning but then they have the body there on the beach, too.  I'm a little relieved it's not your usual 'missing body drowning' because I have phobias about that-- going out on the lake or ocean with your kids and coming home without one... shudder.  

Watching this, I could understand and believe that a man could be haunted by a child's death for decades.   And maybe not let go of blame.

Is there anyone who isn't haunted by a tragedy like that?   Whatever the cause?  Many people have to forgive and move on, if only so they themselves can continue having something like a life.  But I bet there are those who cling to it rather than let go, and who seethe.

I'm not sure I could live with anyone who strummed a ukelele day and night.

And Rayburn House seems to be the only hotel in Florida that has just one family checked in.   The premises appeared almost deserted for most of this episode.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Is there anyone who isn't haunted by a tragedy like that? Whatever the cause? Many people have to forgive and move on, if only so they themselves can continue having something like a life. But I bet there are those who cling to it rather than let go, and who seethe.

It's a dark topic, but the way you followed the comment about living with a tragedy with your opinion of living with the constant ukulele playing made me laugh a bit. I agree with both comments, though.

I find the parents in this show so interesting, because they're both so irritating. So often, parents on tv shows are presented as these noble, long-suffering saints, but these two seem to have laid all kinds of neuroses on their kids. Mom, in particular, annoys me every time she's onscreen. This whole business of 'we're not gonna talk about the future of the hotel b/c your father and I will be running it'... right after Dad has a stroke?? That is so frustrating, yet so true to life, in my experience. And the way she closes her eyes to everything and sees the world exactly the way she wants to. Those two parents totally dominate their kids' lives, IMO. I think Danny had the right idea in getting out. And the idea that Meg is still searching for her father's approval is just so sad. Spacek and Shepard are really nailing the characters, but they make me squirm b/c I dislike them so much.

*Edited to correct spelling of Sam Shepard's name.

Edited by flutist4fun
  • Love 3

Especially if he had kicked the crap out of you when you were a kid.  But even if I was just on vacation there, I think I'd want to break the thing by the end of the week.  

These people are really passive aggressive.  What kind of father holds a grudge for decades over a childhood accident?  Not that I know what happened but young Danny looks pretty upset.  

Considering that it appears the dad beat the kid severely, I'd say they're just aggressive aggressive.

• Love 2

About 3/4 of the way through this episode, I looked at the hubby and said that they were really making Danny more likable this episode. Which i hated because of what looks to be coming down. His interactions with the guests, his improved relationship with Kevin. 

Had a chuckle at the scene where the girls were drinking and had a toast and said "remember the eyes" or something like that. There's a tradition in Spain (or maybe just Barcelona) that you have to look at the person/people you're toasting with in the eye or you'll have 7 years of bad sex. LOL

• Love 2

Glad I didn't give up on the show just yet. I found the first ep to be tedious and boring.

Doesn't the new will have to be signed in front of a notary and witness?

• Love 1

This is really frustrating because it's obvious that Danny is really good with people, and running the tours and the charters is like a job made in heaven for him. The brothers were actually getting along; Dany and Kevin got the truck to run, despite Kevin's misgivings. So , of course  here I was waiting for Danny to mess it up, somehow, but surprise, surprise, it's dear old dad who is ruining things for everybody. Does it annoy him to see things running smoothly? And this right after all of his, "whatever makes you happy" BS that he handed his wife.

In this episode in particular, I was struck by how beautiful everything looked, how well they're creating this setting and atmosphere. It's like a vicarious vacation until the characters open their mouths.

I agree the flashbacks are seeming to point to Dad blaming Danny for Sarah's death. But that seems too straightforward for some of the flash-forwards.

Danny was on his good behavior this episode, but that last scene brought out his other side (true side?). I mean it's terrible to have your father tell you to go away - even worse to offer you money to leave. But Danny was really menacing in that scene.

Not too interested in either Kevin or Meg's storylines, except to say that Linda Cardellini looks radiant in this show. Last time I saw her was on Mad Men, in a rather wasted role as Don's mistress. This part seems so much better suited to her.

• Love 2

Pretty weird when a burned body mystery is the least interesting storyline of the show

I was a little confused about that storyline. Is this baddie we saw calling Eric trying to bring people in undercover, and then, when the Coast Guard is getting too close, they set the boat on fire and sink it? The gasoline Eric and Danny stole is to make these runs to and from, presumably, Cuba?

• Love 1

A lot of them are unnecessary, too.  Sometimes writers overuse the freedom of HBO, Netflix, etc.

Yeah I agree. They think they are making the show more real by putting in these F bombs so casually but really they are doing the opposite. How often do people really use language like that in casual conversation? Unless you are talking to college students the answer is not often. The one I was particularly annoyed by was the one that Sarah's business associate used when they were having a fairly professional lunch where a serious business offer was made. Yet the woman used a very casual F bomb when talking about the weather. 

• Love 2

Yeah I agree. They think they are making the show more real by putting in these F bombs so casually but really they are doing the opposite. How often do people really use language like that in casual conversation? Unless you are talking to college students the answer is not often.

Maybe it depends on your part of the country or something, but my 30 something friends tend to use it like it's going out of style. So do some friends in their 40s. *shrug*

• Love 2

Considering that it appears the dad beat the kid severely, I'd say they're just aggressive aggressive.

I think the beating might have been a one time thing, when Sarah died.  The dad is certainly fucked up, but so far he doesn't strike me as a regular abuser.

I was a little confused about that storyline. Is this baddie we saw calling Eric trying to bring people in undercover, and then, when the Coast Guard is getting too close, they set the boat on fire and sink it? The gasoline Eric and Danny stole is to make these runs to and from, presumably, Cuba?

I think they use the gas to bring people from Cuba too.  They can't purchase it, or it would look suspicious.  Plus they are entering / exiting US territory illegally on a regular basis.  I believe that when you come into port from the sea you have to register somewhere and state your course and where you have been.

I don't think they regularly burn their boats, though.  I once read or saw in a documentary somewhere how difficult it is for the coast guard to really be on top of illegal boats coming into US waters.  It's a very large expanse and there will never be enough manpower to police it all.  I think the boat burning was a last resort when they were spotted by the coast guard that one time.  Presumably they use little, deserted keys to make the gas exchanges and to hide if they think they've been spotted.

• Love 2
I think the boat burning was a last resort when they were spotted by the coast guard that one time.

I agree, but I'm also a little confused by it.  Wouldn't the coast guard have noticed the burning boat?  

The dad is obviously tormented by the loss of his daughter, and the sight of Danny is a constant reminder.  I think that's why he's banishing him--not to punish him, but to try and get some peace. Which of course won't work, because the banishment of Danny is going to be a painful process in itself.  For everyone.  And all of this is not even taking into consideration the blowup that's going to happen when law enforcement (presumably!) figures out Danny is on that security footage.

• Love 2

I agree, but I'm also a little confused by it.  Wouldn't the coast guard have noticed the burning boat?  

From what I gathered they had already lost the Coast Guard, but they were worried that it might come back later.  It was more a precaution than an escape tactic, which is why it was so much more cruel.

• Love 1