Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: All Speculation Leads to the Truth

Got some costuming info! Looks like NBC is lending out their talent :).

Here's the link

Source: The Portland Blog's twitter feed.

A definite step up from M & S selling cheap clothes in IWTB lol.

I'm guessing we're definitely in for something  ;). The quality seems really good.

• Love 2

Hannibal has the best costuming on TV, so I hope that transfers over. I don't think Mulder and Scully are like the characters in Hannibal, so the super expensive styling might not be appropriate. But, I remember Chris saying that he learned that even if your characters would be shopping at The Gap, they better actually be wearing Armani.

Hannibal has the best costuming on TV, so I hope that transfers over. I don't think Mulder and Scully are like the characters in Hannibal, so the super expensive styling might not be appropriate. But, I remember Chris saying that he learned that even if your characters would be shopping at The Gap, they better actually be wearing Armani.

I hope so too. Yea I know lol. Maybe it'll be more like what they had around s6-s7 ish. That was some damn good clothing ;). What interview did that come from? Was it a recent one?

Maybe Scully will get a more expanded color palette :P?

(edited)

I think I might have heard it from The X-Files Files podcast. I did a google search and found this article where he says it (it's not recent). Here's the quote:

The characters dress well, which I assume is one of the things you had in mind?

It is. Except we made a point with Mulder and Scully: Mulder couldn't wear three-button suits in the beginning because it was too fashionable; Scully had to wear business attire, because the FBI is very rigid about those things. And actually we've been criticized for Scully's dowdy suits. I always thought that was unfair -- it was from people who, I think, watched too much Melrose Place. I think the characters are dressed nicely. I learned very early on when I was producing that even if you have a character who would shop at J. C. Penney, you better put them in Armani. Because Armani fits better, and you want your actors and actresses always to look good. So that's why David wears Hugo Boss suits. And Gillian wears very fashionable clothes, but nothing that's a fashion statement.

He never wants to admit that he's wrong! haha. I definitely thought Scully had some dowdy suits and I never watched Melrose Place.

Edited by M.F. Luder
  • Love 1
He never wants to admit that he's wrong! haha. I definitely thought Scully had some dowdy suits and I never watched Melrose Place.

Not really their fault though - it was just the fashions at the time and it was dowdy. Season 1 Scully screamed late 80s/early 90s to me and the suits were not fitted as they later where, but that's what was in. At least I remember wearing stuff like that for work.

But the later suits were tailored and I always loves her collarless blouses though with the suit jacket. With Mulder, he's wearing a suit and tie, which have looked pretty much the same for decades, except for tie width and colour choices. Otherwise, a tailored man's suit from the 80s pretty much looks the same as a tailored on in the 2000's. At least to me it does.

• Love 1

I'm so excited!

I just saw a photo of them kissing.. on screen.. I think o:

Me too!! And they both look so good!!

By the way, should these posts be in the Spoilers thread? I don't know if they count as spoilers.

Me too!! And they both look so good!!

By the way, should these posts be in the Spoilers thread? I don't know if they count as spoilers.

Probably!

Where's the pic! :O

Just found it.

Damn... aaaand my brains just leaked out of my ears! :P

I'm so excited!

EDIT: I forgot that we aren't supposed to put spoilers here. Sorry!

Yeah, we're not. And I put a spoiler in my own post (now removed) and I'm one of the mods. Dammit. The excitement is making us sloppy. Bad Us!! Bad!

For example, we can speculate on the wedding rings in this thread, but if there is actual proof, it should be discussed and confirmed in the other thread.

I'm going to move some of the posts to the Spoilered thread as is our policy that we should all abide by. Apologies to everyone in the thread!

• Love 1

Hey guys - just a heads up that I've changed both thread titles from "The Six Episode Event Series" to The X-Files Revival, since it's the official name and also makes the title read better (and is shorter).

• Love 1

I wonder if we're going to get the same kind of atmosphere in the revival as in the early seasons - Vancouver has been experiencing a drought this summer and it's been hotter than usual. It reminded me of DD's comment about "400 inches of rain a year" that upset so many people!

I wonder if we're going to get the same kind of atmosphere in the revival as in the early seasons - Vancouver has been experiencing a drought this summer and it's been hotter than usual. It reminded me of DD's comment about "400 inches of rain a year" that upset so many people!

I wonder too. 

I saw today that the revival is going to premiere at NY Comic Con, and that there will be a panel discussion with David Duchovny and Chris Carter, moderated by Kumail Nanjiani. I'm so disappointed that tickets are sold out. I was ready to book a flight.

I saw today that the revival is going to premiere at NY Comic Con, and that there will be a panel discussion with David Duchovny and Chris Carter, moderated by Kumail Nanjiani. I'm so disappointed that tickets are sold out. I was ready to book a flight.

Yea it's a bummer :(. Wish I could be there too.

can't you guys get scalper's tickets?

Possibly, but I'm not sure how it works. In addition to a ticket to the convention, which are sold out, you also have to get a wristband or something for the panel. So there's no guarantee.

• Love 1

Not my thing, and traveling's too difficult for me, but can't you guys get scalper's tickets?

That's probably not a good way to go about imo. There are tickets on ebay and the like though. But I'm betting that they're an arm and a leg. So I'll be waiting until stuff comes out. Better than nothing.

It's more than a little frustrating that the first episode of the new series has been screened at Comic-Con.   Without seeking information -- in fact, I knew nothing about a Comic Con screening until now -- the first ep was spoiled in small ways for me today by headlines on various newsfeeds, linked to articles that are recaps.

It kinda sucks that 99.9999999% of the X-Files fans who weren't at Comic-Con will need to spend the next three months avoiding spoiler landmines if they hope to view the episode with a fresh perspective.

What was Carter thinking?  I could understand showing a new trailer, but the whole damn episode?   He had to know it would be only a matter of minutes before blow-by-blow recaps started popping up on the web.

It's more than a little frustrating that the first episode of the new series has been screened at Comic-Con.   Without seeking information -- in fact, I knew nothing about a Comic Con screening until now -- the first ep was spoiled in small ways for me today by headlines on various newsfeeds, linked to articles that are recaps.

It kinda sucks that 99.9999999% of the X-Files fans who weren't at Comic-Con will need to spend the next three months avoiding spoiler landmines if they hope to view the episode with a fresh perspective.

What was Carter thinking?  I could understand showing a new trailer, but the whole damn episode?   He had to know it would be only a matter of minutes before blow-by-blow recaps started popping up on the web.

Yea it does. I was originally planning on staying spoiler free, but now I don't really care... but I'm at least aware enough to tag it as such so that others won't be spoiled.

Exactly. It's gonna be a long wait.

I think other shows do that now too. So it's damned if they do, damned if they don't in a way.

Yea it does. I was originally planning on staying spoiler free, but now I don't really care... but I'm at least aware enough to tag it as such so that others won't be spoiled.

Exactly. It's gonna be a long wait.

I think other shows do that now too. So it's damned if they do, damned if they don't in a way.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if we were talking about a season of 22 episodes ... or even thirteen.   But it's what?   Six?  Eight?  And now one of them has already spoiled in its entirety three months before it airs on television.

Fuck you, Chris Carter.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if we were talking about a season of 22 episodes ... or even thirteen.   But it's what?   Six?  Eight?  And now one of them has already spoiled in its entirety three months before it airs on television.

Fuck you, Chris Carter.

I don't blame you for being angry, but to be fair... I don't think he had much of a say there. A lot of shows screen like this now. Like I mentioned before.

I'd be more angry at the people who didn't post spoiler warnings more tbh.

So the thing is, when this show airs is awkward for me to watch on air. I was going to have my dad record it on his DVR at his house and I would watch it the next day. Or I could catch it on the handy dandy website for tv shows that I use. But I had a better idea this morning...season pass to iTunes! Odd though, the iTunes page for it says it airs Monday nights. Is that when it will be up on iTunes or do they have the air time wrong? Because a few years ago I bought a tv show season pass and I could download it the next morning, or sometimes and hour or so later than the show the same night. Anyone know anything more than I do?

So the thing is, when this show airs is awkward for me to watch on air. I was going to have my dad record it on his DVR at his house and I would watch it the next day. Or I could catch it on the handy dandy website for tv shows that I use. But I had a better idea this morning...season pass to iTunes! Odd though, the iTunes page for it says it airs Monday nights. Is that when it will be up on iTunes or do they have the air time wrong? Because a few years ago I bought a tv show season pass and I could download it the next morning, or sometimes and hour or so later than the show the same night. Anyone know anything more than I do?

I suspect the iTunes page says that because other than tomorrow night's episode after the football game it will indeed air on Monday nights. 

iTunes, Amazon, Xbox, et al, are all "next day" TV so they will publish the content, at the earliest, on midnight after the show airs.  You should get Sunday's episode just after midnight in the wee hours of Monday and you'll get Monday's episode just after midnight in the wee hours of Tuesday.  And so on.  I have no doubt that these platforms already have the episodes encoded, locked, and loaded ready for on time publishing. 

Yes, Mondays at 8:00 will be its normal time slot for this revival, except for the Sunday night premiere.

Also, for anyone who may not be aware, Sunday night's episode will air at 7:00 on the West Coast, simultaneously with the 10:00 East Coast airing, rather than us having to wait until 10:00 our time (of course, I've already seen it, but I'll be watching it again, and it will be nice to discuss it immediately afterward).  If the game goes long, it will start after the game, but same deal -- we get it at the same time as East Coast viewers.

Presumably it's "live" for Central and Mountain viewers as well, although I have not looked that up.

Edited by Bastet

Very much looking forward to this. There are so many good shows starting end of January / February, that my DVR is going to explode. I actually started re-watching the original season one on Netflix, there are a lot of little things I'd forgotten about from the show. 

• Love 1

So.....we don't have TV anymore.  Haven't had, for years.  Normally we watch our current shows on the station's webpage (we just have to wait a week after each episode airs for it to become available).  Does anyone know of any other way to watch XF sooner on the web?  We don't have an iTunes account like Dayna mentioned above. 

Waiting a week, if it comes to that, is going to be agony!  O.O

Taryn74, I just cancelled my U-Verse TV last month (too expensive right now) so I'm without immediate TV watching as well. But I think FOX has gotten better about the wait time for watching an episode of their shows? For example, their MasterChef Junior program is on Friday nights and I've noticed on Saturday it's already available to watch. Same with Bones episodes, I think. So you (and I) may just have to wait 24 hours? Some networks are terrible about making viewers wait a week (ABC and CBS have been troublesome in this regard), but I think FOX has been better about it, so definitely check out FOX's website and keep an eye out. I'll be refreshing their X-Files page to see when it's available for me to watch, too!

• Love 1

Taryn74, I just cancelled my U-Verse TV last month (too expensive right now) so I'm without immediate TV watching as well. But I think FOX has gotten better about the wait time for watching an episode of their shows? For example, their MasterChef Junior program is on Friday nights and I've noticed on Saturday it's already available to watch. Same with Bones episodes, I think. So you (and I) may just have to wait 24 hours? Some networks are terrible about making viewers wait a week (ABC and CBS have been troublesome in this regard), but I think FOX has been better about it, so definitely check out FOX's website and keep an eye out. I'll be refreshing their X-Files page to see when it's available for me to watch, too!

You guys might have to go through an alternate route. Fox's site requires you to have a tv service to watch their shows. It's dumb really.

I can't believe how the old feelings are coming back. It's like the return of an abusive ex-spouse. Yeah, there's excitement, but I know it's just going to hurt me again. Rage that's been simmering since before some members of this forum were born. I know it's too much to hope that they'll hop back in time to the platonic M&S relationship of the classic seasons. (Yes, I'm STILL a noromo. Deal with it.) But will they at least avoid introducing whole new subplots and conspiracies that will never be resolved? (Remember when Xena was tainting the water supply, or whatever the hell that was?) Ugh! I'm so conflicted! 

Sorry if this is incoherent. But then, so was the series. 

So.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why my local listings said it would be on at 10pm? Because it wasn't. Apparently, I've missed it. And now must wait however many days it will be until it's made available on-demand. With the added fun that on-demand has been screwed up lately, and the sound goes out during commercial breaks, and I can't get it to come back unless I stop the show, exit it entirely, and resume the show, which often does not actually resume at the place where I left off. Meanwhile, I will have to avoid pretty much the entire god damned internet, so that every little detail of the thing isn't spoiled for me. 

Yeah, I really can't describe just exactly how angry I am right now. 

Thanks for listening, and please excuse the double-post, but I needed to vent. 

• Love 2

I got fucked over too.   I set my DVR to record the X-Files series.   After six months of waiting, six months of studiously avoiding ALL spoilers, resisting all articles on the web no matter how tantalizing the headlines were, I finally sat down to watch the first episode just now and discovered that my DVR'ed program consists of the football post-game show and only the first half of "My Struggle."   The second half isn't there, because apparently my cable company's DVR system doesn't record by the show, but by the time slot.   So, since 10 PM-11:05 was the scheduled broadcast time for the X-Files, I got whatever was broadcast between 10 PM and 11:05, whether it was the X-Files or not.  And 30 minutes of that was not.   

Fucking FOX.  Fucking football.  Fucking cable TV.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

The episode is now available on Fox's FOXNOW streaming service.

http://www.fox.com/the-x-files?cmpid=ppc_goog_FOX_xfiles_ss_2015

I'm just conspiracy-minded enough to think this whole DVR snafu (lots of angry people are ranting about it across the web at the moment) was planned to compel the masses to try Fox's streaming service.   They'll issue a statement tomorrow telling everyone to stop yelling and relax, you can see it on FOXNOW.

From a marketing standpoint, it's probably clever because what X-Files fan will be so angry that they won't go watch the episode on FOXNOW despite that they've been manipulated to do just that, either through the network's lack of foresight or shrewd corporate planning?

Other than myself, I mean.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

I guess this goes here? 

FOX loves loves loves LOVESSSSSSS the X-Files. They better pony up the cash to get Gillian and David out of their ~commitments. It CAN be done. 

X-Files is being dusted off to air in syndication on a pretty big network:

http://deadline.com/2016/02/original-x-files-series-my-networktv-fall-1201704287/

Annnnd FOX wants more original episodes, but it's up to DD and GA:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-x-files-renewed-fox-more-episodes-1201708816/

You can also now pre-order the 6 episode series on Amazon. Interestingly, they are NOT calling it "Season 10." Just "The Event."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BX7WVOG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edited by Italian Ice
  • Love 1

I'm excited that they're going to be on syndication again, even though I have the entire series on DVD, and Blu-ray (because i am apparently a completist).  What's wrong with me?  Am I just that lazy that I want to watch without having to get up and put a disc in, or is it that it's different watching when you know other people are too? 

Since you have the Blu-Ray collection – are there special features on there that aren’t on the DVDs?  I know there’s the WonderCon panel, but since I was there I certainly don’t need that.  Anything else? 

I don’t even watch all the seasons, so buying the whole series on Blu-Ray when I already have seasons one thru seven on DVD seems silly (the quality difference doesn’t much matter to me since my Blu-Ray player up-converts).  But the only reason I’m thinking of going ahead and replacing my DVDs with Blu-Ray discs is they take up so much less space. (With the added, but minor, benefit of continuity since I’m going to go ahead and buy season 10 on Blu-Ray because of the Were-Monster episode [i’ve liked the revival overall, but that’s probably the only one I’ll rewatch].) But if there’s a special feature only available on the Blu-Ray discs, I’d like to know.  Also, if there are any special features on the DVDs that are not included on the Blu-Rays.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing on the Blu-ray set that isn't on the DVDs.  But they do take up much less space, and it's easier to get to the various discs, so I'm happy. I got it when it was on Amazon for $120, so I feel like that's a pretty good deal.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing on the Blu-ray set that isn't on the DVDs.  But they do take up much less space, and it's easier to get to the various discs, so I'm happy. I got it when it was on Amazon for $120, so I feel like that's a pretty good deal.

That's a good deal. I wouldn't get it for any more than that.

Am I the only one who is dreading the finale? Not because its ending (far too quickly) but because I'm afraid of what CC has in store for us?

I'm dreading it too.

I'm just a little nervous they will kill off Scully or she literally becomes alien so Anderson doesn't ever have to come back to the show again. I know it's stupid, but the XFiles have always been a bit nuts.

They've never been that nuts, though. They know that people are interested in Mulder and Scully as a package deal.  And it's not like GA had to be dragged back, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't want her to come back.

I can imagine them trying to do a next generation-type show but I don't see that as a replacement for The X-Files as a show about Mulder and Scully.

I am only dreading the finale in that it will be the end for now.  But I am not dreading where they are going with the story.

I'm just a little nervous they will kill off Scully or she literally becomes alien so Anderson doesn't ever have to come back to the show again. I know it's stupid, but the XFiles have always been a bit nuts.

I don't think they'll do either. They'd be taking one heck of a risk.