Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

I wouldn't inflict being related to Regina on Hook, and it makes the way both Regina and Cora were sleazing on him and him turning on the "too pretty to die" charm with them really icky.

Pshaw.

Like that's the squickiest thing to happen on this show.

(Meanwhile, I'm still spinning in my chair, mwhahaha-ing, and flinging confetti, because I've sort of convinced Serena and KingOfHearts, and am no longer alone in the cracky wish.  HoodlumSheep may join soon.  :)  )

Edited by Mari
  • Love 2

I found the accent Colin uses for Hook a little odd in the beginning, but I suppose I grew used to it! 

As for Hook's parentage, I'm holding out for Davey Jones, because Blackbeard turned out to be such a washout. 

• Love 4

I'm just thinking of Hook calling Robin "dad" for the first time. Or him asking Snow how it felt to have Regina as her step mom. It also makes total sense why Zelena ships Hook with the woman he loves. Ha! I just find this all so funny.

• Love 2

It's funny, because I put the promo for 5x02 in photoshop to take a look at the ball and see if there were other characters we knew there and ended up looking at the thing frame by frame. I got to the part where David is running through the woods and my reaction was why is Hook wearing an armor?

I know they said the casting of Arthur was a happy accident, but I've got my doubts on that. There are no happy accidents when it comes to casting on this show.

I know they said the casting of Arthur was a happy accident, but I've got my doubts on that. There are no happy accidents when it comes to casting on this show.

I'd be okay with that--I don't expect the Baby Green thing to actually happen.

What makes me question it, though, is the timeline. Since Arthur (like almost every fairyland character, ever, for some reason) is a contemporary of Snow and David, isn't Arthur too young to be an ancestor or sibling. Wouldn't he need to be a descendent? Barring time travel, of course.

We know nothing about Camelot other than a couple of things we were told. Why didn't Camelot end in Storybrooke when the Dark Curse was cast for instance? I think they've had to deal with their own brand of dark curse. That prophecy about the Nevengers arriving in Camelot or its outskirts seemed to be mighty precise!

"These people will arrive in a funny looking house, wear funny looking clothes, one of them has a hook for a hand, that's how you'll know it's them!"

• Love 2

I think Hook and Arthur look similar enough at a distance (not as much when they're up close) where if they needed to pull a switcheroo for a distraction it could work. They could go, "look! There goes Arthur!" And show Hook on a horse riding away from them in armor, and it'd work for a little while until they see his face.

I think first and foremost I would want Davy Jones to be Killy's dad, but if the crack theory turned out true, I'd want Ariel and Eric to be Hook's parents and I think I'd be fine with RH and Zelena too, just for the heck of it.

A sea-faring arc that explores Hook's past would be so much fun. Bring back Ariel, Eric, Smee, Blackbeard, Ursula and Poseidon. Introduce Davy Jones, maybe Ursula #1, have Liam in flashbacks.

I always love Hook episodes, even if they tend to be more one-off episodes. I just like the feel of them. I don't know if it's a piratey feel, an adventure feel, a sea-themed feel, or a mix of it all.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 3
A sea-faring arc that explores Hook's past would be so much fun. Bring back Ariel, Eric, Smee, Blackbeard, Ursula and Poseidon. Introduce Davy Jones, maybe Ursula #1, have Liam in flashbacks.

What you should be hoping for in that case is a Hook spin off.

• Love 4

Lots of people thought Blackbeard was going to be Hook's father because of a resemblance b/t Charles Mesure and Colin, and that was just a "happy accident."

I really really wish they had gone the route of Merlin also being Davy Jones, Hook's father, because there were sooooo many clues in the Sorcerer's Mansion that were linked to those characters, not to mention the whole survivor thing that could be a result of inherited magic.

There was a moment, when Merlin was mentioned for the first time, that I thought that, maybe, he was Hook's father. But then I remembered which show I was watching and I discarded the idea completely even before the casting call for the character was out. The truth is that A&E are never going to give Hook a half season long arc about his family.

In this case, like before with Charles Mesure, I think this is just a case of someone in the casting department having a "type".

Circling back to the discussion on Hook's accent, I'm a huge fan of it now, but I could tell it took Colin a couple episodes to find out exactly what he wanted to do. Especially in the beanstalk episode, there are some moments where he either slips some Irish in there, or tries too hard to sound posh English. I think Colin was concentrating too hard on making it not Irish-sounding, but that kind of backfired because you could tell he was straining to not say certain words wrong.

But now he's gelled into this really unique and smooth voice that is kind of an accent all on its own. It's not super British or Irish, but definitely sounds like it should come that ancestry. It works for the character since he's a fairy tale character who isn't from our world's Ireland or Britain, and we still have no idea what land he came from in the Enchanted Forest, so the fact that his accent is kind of a hybrid is perfect. 

Edited by Curio
  • Love 5

I like Hook's accent. It works for me.

Here's a question I've been debating about recently: what would Hook's favorite Disney animated movies be? I've wondered about this for all the characters, actually. I am one hundred percent sure that everyone probably hates/dislikes the movie they appear in, but what about their favorites? I think he'd be fond of Treasure Planet, Aladdin, and Tangled. I think he'd be a fan of Fox and the Hound, Robin Hood and Hercules too. And Brother Bear.

I don't why I've been thinking about this lately, but I have. I know, it's strange.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Oh, Hook would definitely love the biopic of him and Emma... I mean Tangled. 

I don't know why, but I could see Hook enjoying some of the more recent Pixar movies, like Up or Inside Out. He seems like he'd be the type who'd analyze a movie and its characters, so he'd need something a little more intellectual and not super pop culture-y. The Emperor's New Groove would probably fly over his head.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

That's why I think he'd like Fox and the Hound and Brother Bear. Those movies would speak to him at a deeper level. They've got a brotherhood sort of feel to them. The story of Brother Bear reminds me of his realtionship with Baelfire, so I think he'd appreciate that movie, even though it's not one of Disney's better ones. I think he'd definitely identify with Treasure Planet, and Aladdin. He'd like Robin Hood due to the code/honor thing (and Hook sometimes reminds me of a Robin Hood of the sea (except he went bad)). Hercules, I think he'd love it. It has the whole "true hero" stuff and I think he'd love the Herc/Meg relationship. Hercules did jump into a swirling pool of soul-sucking eeriness in order to save Meg (he was willing to die for her), and we've seen what Hook has done for Emma.

And of course he'd love Tangled. :)

Edited by HoodlumSheep

I think the problem with Hook's accent is the dialogue doesn't match it, so it sounds false. He constantly says 'aye'. Posh English people don't use 'aye', although almost every other regional accent does. That just one example, but it's like his words are rough but the accent is polished.

And that actually fits PERFECTLY for a former naval officer who knows how to waltz but who became a pirate. The accent is a holdover from his Navy days, and he still speaks in a grandiose way in some respects, but then other vocabulary he picked up as a pirate or chose to affect for the image.

• Love 6

This whole argument about how Hook doesn't sound appropriately British cracks me up because Hook is 300 years old. You know what a 300 year old British guy would sound like? A person from Tidewater Virginia. So yes, Colin's accent is all wrong for a centuries old Brit. Since Hook's not actually British though, it doesn't matter.

• Love 2

Circling back to the discussion on Hook's accent, I'm a huge fan of it now, but I could tell it took Colin a couple episodes to find out exactly what he wanted to do. Especially in the beanstalk episode, there are some moments where he either slips some Irish in there, or tries too hard to sound posh English.

"So you're just gonna leave me here ta die?" I replayed that little snippet over and over because I loved that little bit of Irish slipping through.  Also, the 4B finale during the Past Hook caper he's arguing with Emma and goes, "You know whattamean."  Yeah,  sexy ass.  Love it when that Irish slips through.

You know, I was watching a Ruby centric last this week (rewatching S1 and S2)  and  I thought she and that dude who led her into her Mama’s wolf den could be Hook’s parents.  So yeah, I know Hook flirted with her over green jello and that would be kinda squicky, but as far as looks, she and that dude (can’t remember his name) look like they could’ve made someone as pretty as Hook.  Don’t know how they’d ever work out the how and why and when of it all.  I imagined he would be freaked out if he knew his mama was a wolf, because his weirded-out reaction to her during the Emma rescue in 4-22 was hilarious.

It would also be pretty cool if Davy Jones was the papa, but who would be the mama? Calypso?  I don’t recall that character really being a sea goddess, isn’t it just a made up character from POC?  At any rate, Poseidon could’ve cursed her to mortal existence for some slight for X number of years, she meets and falls in love with the sailor Davy Jones, marries him, bears him two sons, then gets called back to the sea by Poseidon.  Later Davy goes searching for her, abandoning his boys in the process and somehow winds up as Davy Jones.

We are so desperate for a Hook origin centric, aren’t we?

Edited by FierceAfroChick
  • Love 1

We are so desperate for a Hook origin centric, aren’t we?

I don't mind waiting if they're planning to spend enough time on it to do it right. I don't want them to half ass it after making us wait for so long. 

• Love 3
And that actually fits PERFECTLY for a former naval officer who knows how to waltz but who became a pirate. The accent is a holdover from his Navy days, and he still speaks in a grandiose way in some respects, but then other vocabulary he picked up as a pirate or chose to affect for the image.

Just about all the people from his world speak in a style that's more formal than modern American English, and then he's from centuries earlier, so he might sound even more formal, regardless of class. There also don't seem to be as many class distinctions in speech in that world as you'd have expected in ours. David the farmboy was able to pass as a prince with no effort, when you'd think the speech of a poor farmer would be very different from that of a prince. We got a very good indication that some of Hook's "pirate" talk is affected, based on the way he was clearly being ironic when he was talking to Elsa about being a pirate and said "meself." I would imagine that he wouldn't have been taken very seriously by other pirates if he still talked like Lt. Jones. Over the centuries, it's become a habit. And someone who moves around a lot and is around people from a variety of places might pick up odd little bits and pieces of accents or common usages. If he's spent centuries around people who say "aye" a lot, he might start saying it, even if it doesn't fit with his native manner of speech. He's been a pirate far longer than he was a well-educated naval officer.

• Love 2

This whole argument about how Hook doesn't sound appropriately British cracks me up because Hook is 300 years old. You know what a 300 year old British guy would sound like? A person from Tidewater Virginia. So yes, Colin's accent is all wrong for a centuries old Brit. Since Hook's not actually British though, it doesn't matter.

Heh. I only brought it up (it started in another thread) because another poster compared it to Dick van Dyke's "Mary Poppins" accent. I was all, "Huh wha?" I like how he sounds on the show; I was just wondering what others thought of it.

• Love 4

or maybe even Big Hero Six.

Emma better bust out the Kleenex box for Hook when

older brother Tadashi dies for a pointless cause and leaves Hiro an orphan.

Hello Liam/Killian parallels.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

She might have to bust out the kleenex box for Brother Bear too. Kenai=Killy, Koda=Baelfire, Koda's mom that Kenai kills =Rumple/Milah in the sense that Hook is trying to kill Rumple/Milah's death. The inevitable "betrayel/secret gets out" scene with Koda learning Kenai killed his mom (kind of parallels with the Hook/Bealfire Neverland scenes).

And to rub the feels in more, Kenai and Koda actually repair their relationship and basically become brothers/family together. Can't say the same good fortune visited Hook and Nealfire. :(

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

I was just on youtube perusing the massive amount of Hook fanvids. I can't believe how many AU and crack ship ones the are. I came across a Hook/Aurora one with a priest AU. Not really my thing, but it's one of the most well edited vids I've seen, especially with the fast transitions between the Storybrooke and EF scenes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oh8Cmvdo6E

Edited by pezgirl7

I think he'd enjoy BttF and Airplane, Dirty Dancing and Simply Ballroom (and a lot of old musicals for the singing and dancing).

He did reference the 'information box' during a hospital scene, yes? So was it on a news channel? Hope it wasn't Faux News! That's the disinformation box.

We really have been cheated out of so many 1sts for him in his new realm. Grrr!

She might have to bust out the kleenex box for Brother Bear too. Kenai=Killy, Koda=Baelfire, Koda's mom that Kenai kills =Rumple/Milah in the sense that Hook is trying to kill Rumple/Milah's death. The inevitable "betrayel/secret gets out" scene with Koda learning Kenai killed his mom (kind of parallels with the Hook/Bealfire Neverland scenes).

And to rub the feels in more, Kenai and Koda actually repair their relationship and basically become brothers/family together. Can't say the same good fortune visited Hook and Nealfire. :(

My head cannon is that Pan was magically manipulating their emotions like the mermaids did with the Nevengers. Without Pan's influence, Bae would have forgiven Hook and Hook would Have made good on changing for Bae.

As a classic movie buff, I would also steer him towards the movies of Humphrey Bogart (Casablanca is a MUST) and Cary Grant (Notorious, Bringing Up Baby). Then there are the old B&W pirate movies like Captain Blood. Singin' in the Rain has a movie-within-a-movie format, takes place during the transition from silent pictures to talkies, the sheer physicality of Donald O'Connor and Gene Kelly, and a hissable villain (Lena). Some Like it Hot has two men in drag and Marilyn Monroe. I never saw it, but I understand Master and Commander with Russell Crowe is set during the Golden Age of Sail.

Whatever you do, keep him away from the Disney version of Peter Pan and its sequel.  One look at the foppish Captain Hook in those movies, and he'd start flipping tables all over the place -- including ones that were nailed down!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3

One thing I've always LOVED about what Colin's done with Hook's voice is how hard and crisp he makes the t's at the end of words.  It's unique to that character, and it makes me swoon every time.

Perhaps we..... *just can't handle iT*

Bring back the walking sex machine!!!

Edited by BoPeeps
  • Love 2

Hook has to have seen at least the first Star Wars, maybe if they got at least one movie night during the six-week gap between 4A and 4B. Surely Emma would have shown him who "Princess Leia" really was, and he should have known what a "Wookie" was before using the term last week (when Henry used the Wookie prisoner ruse in the AU, Hook wouldn't have remembered anything about our world).

I agree that he'd be offended by most Peter Pan movies, not just because of the depiction of Hook, but also because of Pan being shown as a hero.

OK, so now you're all gonna be sorry ;-)

Westerns:

Silverado

Stagecoach*

Blazing Saddles

The Frisco Kid

Two Mules for Sister Sarah

Mob/Crime:

The Untouchables

Goodfellas*

White Heat

Public Enemy

Quirky:

Raising Arizona/Fargo/Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?*

Big Eyes/Edward Scissorhands

Hairspray*

Sports:

Brian's Song*

A League of Their Own

Field of Dreams

I don't like Horror movies, so y'all are on your own there. I'm not really big on foreign films either, 'cuz the subtitles tend to pull me out of the action. Kung Fu Hustle was fun, tho'.

*denotes a movie I haven't seen personally.

I know he's not really British/from Britain, but I wonder if Monty Python would resonate on some deeper frequency regardless?

What about naval films? I think he'd like one of my favorite movies, Master and Commander. He'd probably appreciate the accuracy, and the good form, and get teary eyed when some of the officers are killed in battle.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 1

^ those hooligans. :)

I'm pretty sure Hook would love most of the sea-faring movies. I'd love to see his reaction to Mutiny on the Bounty (the Charles Laughton version). That'd probably be a punch in the gut for him. Evil tyrannical leader, mutiny, etc.

I'll gladly join you all in the shallow end of the pool!

I was mighty bored with the episode until Emma got her Hook nooky urge revved up. Amazing how a few moments of smoldering pirate smooch can bring one slamming back to attention.

Hook's and Emma's lip locks have always been the best in the series and kicked up the much needed passion content of the show, but this time, they did the Excalibur version, thank-you very much!

The TLK factor doesn't seem to be as important anymore. Actually, I go way back to the kiss of life Emma gave Hook when the wicked green one tried to drown him. The cgi intimated that THaT was their TLK even though neither of them recognized it at the time. This show has always given us varying versions of the TLK but always at the point of imminent death.

What is transpiring between the two of them now appears to be "beyond TLK"...

And it is working quite well!

The last bit with the montage and Rumple was kind of eerie. Hopefully nothing too bad happens to Killy (or Belle) by the end of this arc.

Hook seems to be the only one trying to help Emma compared to how nonchalant everyone else seems to be.

I can't remember if it was said on one of the threads here or on tumblr, but I love the Hook/princesses brotp dynamics he seems to share with them; Hookriel, the Captain Beauty brotp, the Frozen Hook interactions. He has chemistry with all of them.

It's interesting that Hook and Snow seem to be sharing the same mindset in the flashbacks (not wanting Regina to give the wand to Zelena, not wanting Emma to heal Robin). Too bad they'll probably never get a real scene together.

I loved the TLK attempts and I agree with BoPeeps that that he and Emma kind of seem beyond TLKing at this point.

• Love 2

Snow and Hook seemed to be the only people not enjoying that Granny's night thing. How have these two not have a scene yet?

On a shallow note: I love Killian's bangs.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 1