Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Jacket

While attempting to help his neighbor's autistic son Matt Daly, Ben stumbles upon a crucial piece of evidence related to Tom's murder. This leads Ben to suspect the Daly family of wrongdoing and confront them regarding their involvement in the death of Tom. In doing so, yet even more secrets and lies are revealed on Chelsea Bay Drive. Meanwhile, a new threat emerges in Ben's life, and it's far more dangerous than he realizes.

• Love 1

So now Ben has a stealth stalker? I admit I have no clue where this show is going but that may not be a bad thing. Might be the one thing that keeps it semi-interesting. So I guess suspicion is now being put on the neighbor's son - that maybe he became violent, not knowing his strength and the mother covered it up. However, I just can't see how that would make sense. Whoever killed Tom more or less lured him out to the river in the middle of the night. I can't see developmentally challenged child knowing to go to the neighbor's house, convince Tom to get dressed and come out without Tom's mom seeing or hearing a thing and then later killing him. 

Speaking of Jess, the scene with her and the daughter seemed a little random. It's been at least two episodes since we found out the daughter had the ex-husband see Tom while she was babysitting and we found out last week about her letting the neighbor woman take him, so I wonder why they waited this week for a confrontation between her and Jess about this. Speaking of Jess, I'm putting her on my maybe list. I can't see why she'd kill her son and then try to frame Ben for it but at this point everyone is a suspect.

Which speaking of, the wife is still looking  like a possibility, though I have to say, I really loved the scene when she talked about her feelings. Because hearing her sum it up really shows what an awful situation she is in and how you can't blame her if she maybe is trying to get Cornell to arrest Ben. Not that she necessarily killed Tom because there is no excuse for that, just that she's helping steer suspicion on him just because she's pissed. But seriously, what an awful situation to be in - your husband not only cheats on you but with a neighbor you have to see practically every day and what's worse, he made a child with that woman. And now that child is dead. So you feel guilty to hate the woman who banged your husband because her five year old kid was murdered. 

And finally, in what has become customary, yeah the younger daughter is still the prime suspect right now. As for this stalker crap, I guess it could be the ex husband but he's supposed to be back with the military for going AWOL. I'm guessing the writers were aiming for dark humor when Cornell asked Ben if he could think of anyone who really hated him because it's like, "who doesn't hate Ben right now." The few people in the neighborhood who didn't he's managed to alienate with his vigilante crap.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

It's really getting kind of disturbing how the show's sole black character still has absolutely no personality traits beyond an inexplicable hatred of Ben. It's to the point where I seriously wonder why they keep bothering to write scenes for him that just hit that same note over and over. Even Cornell got fleshed out a bit this week, but this poor guy is still stuck.

Edited by Eegah
  • Love 7

It's really getting kind of disturbing how the show's sole black character still has absolutely no personality traits beyond an inexplicable hatred of Ben. It's to the point where I seriously wonder why they keep bothering to write scenes for him that just hit that same note over and over. Even Cornell got fleshed out a bit this week, but this poor guy is still stuck.

The reporter whose house Ben was working in is black.

Do cicadas really sing at Christmastime in North Carolina?

So I was right, every week it's a new person Ben thinks did it. The cop was right, he's losing his mind.

• Love 2

Well they are continuing to cement that while Ben must be really trying to be around he just doesn't have what it takes to be Stealthy Killer Guy.

I'm guessing black neighbor is the stalker.

The wife's speech was good but she does herself no favors by continuing to act as if she is having an affair.

That acrtress playing the older daughter really looked her age tonight.

• Love 1

Who knows about the flashlight?  Ben, Cornell, the wife, the daughters and the best friend, so one of these people had to put those flashlights in the garage.  It may not necessarily be the murderer, but if not, someone is really trying to mess with Ben's head, or maybe Ben has some sort dissociative personality disorder. 

Good grief! I have been looking for Melissa Gilbert in every episode.  I was still looking for her last night - never realized she was Matt's mother. (I guess I expected a bonnet and braids).

Other than that, not really impressed - this is turning into Ben just running around pointing fingers at everyone and Cornell not believing him.  I thought we were going to see more in the way of an investigation. 

• Love 4

Maybe Melissa Gilbert's character did it, after all; I still don't trust Anna Sheridan.

I don't see how Abby could have managed the stalker-y "fill the garage with flashlights" plan.

Is anyone going to notice that Matt's tablet is at the bottom of the river? Is that going to be a plot point?

Speaking of the tablet, didn't it end up in the bottom of the pond -- why did he have it back at his house?   Does he have spares? I can't believe Hollywood would have a "special" child be a murderer.    Tom could have been killed nearer to home and thrown out into the woods -- he didn't need to be lured.

Someone needs to concentrate more on why another case's person is accusing Cornell of "ruining her life" -- was that for real or was that for Ben/daughter's benefit?

Cicadas for Christmas!  No wonder everyone in that neighborhood is evil and/or suspicious -- the seasons are all upside down!

• Love 3

Thank you show for finally calling out the Ben is a bull in the china shop of his neighborhood. Gah, The one person he isn't going to accuse of something nefarious would be the youngest daughter. I would say the dog, but I don't remember if there was a dog on the show. How can a neighborhood not have at least one dog? Was it too expensive for the show?

• Love 1

Many times when I say that I am annoyed with a show, I'm exaggerating.  However, last night?  Believe me when I say that I was annoyed!  From Ben's continued heavy handedness with his neighbors to Cornell and her creeping...I'm losing patience with every episode.  It's like the TPTB on this show have a formula, and the writers have to shoehorn their scripts into that formula with every episode.  I'm ready to give up, but I'm so invested (even in my annoyance) that I just can't!  The only saving grace for me is Ben's relationship with his daughters.  Despite his douchey behavior with everyone else, the murder charge and its repercussions, Ben seems to work really hard to be a good father to the girls. 

Melissa Gilbert's character is living in a hellish situation. One son autistic and at times violent and the other an addict.  Wow.  Could she have killed Tom due to jealousy of him being a seemingly "perfect" child?  Despite the blue jacket being found with Matty, I just don't think he was involved, unless it was an accident and his Mom and/or Tyler are covering for Matty?

And again, Kevin's hatred of Ben reared it's ugly head.  MG's character even said something to Ben along the lines of "Kevin was right about you!"  Perhaps next episode we'll find out why.  It seems to be Kevin's turn to experience the wrath of Ben.

• Love 3

I will say, as frustrating as Ben is, the stupidity award last night definitely went to the older daughter's loser boyfriend, now ex-boyfriend. "My girlfriend's dad won't let me see her after I punched him in the face while he tried to take his underage daughter out of a party with alcohol and who knows what else, so I know, I'll vandalize their fence and her mother's car with the words murderer and guilty." And then the dim bulb actually looks surprised when the girl basically tells him to go piss up a rope after he confesses. The younger daughter's "didn't you hear her, you're dunzo" was kind of funny. 

• Love 5

Why in the word would Ben follow the blood trail and then open up the garage door and wander in amongst the flashlights? Of course Cornell was standing in the driveway. She seems to spend more time standing around outside his house than the reporters. But she actually said to him that it was a crime scene and no one knows about the flashlight (other than everyone Ben screamed it in front of at last week's dinner party)! FINALLY Cornell is willing to see that maybe someone else is framing or at least messing with Ben?! Or, is it going to turn out to be another "crime" to pin on Ben...harrassing yourself. But obviously Cornell is going to end up finding the "Christmas present"--or they wouldn't have reminded us that it's still under the tree. Why would Ben keep it in the house--still? Now that "the real murderer" put all of these flashlights in his garage (and whose blood is that?!), if Ben was smart he'd give Cornell the real flashlight and say that he found this in his truck and he panicked because he knew that she wouldn't believe him, but now that you believe someone is targeting me... Well, then again, Cornell could turn it around that you also did this flashlight thing to yourself to use that excuse. But, people are outside of his house at all hours of the day and night. How in the world are all of these people (well two people but three times) getting into his garage/cars?

Who knows about the flashlight?  Ben, Cornell, the wife, the daughters and the best friend, so one of these people had to put those flashlights in the garage.  It may not necessarily be the murderer, but if not, someone is really trying to mess with Ben's head, or maybe Ben has some sort dissociative personality disorder.

The actual killer knows about the flashlight, even if it's not one of those people.

Also, last week Ben shouted at Neighbor Doctor about stealing his flashlight to kill the kid, so anyone who was there or who heard about it would know a flashlight was involved but wouldn't know the brand.

• Love 1

The show has been withholding the reason Cornell ruled out Jess, and what Ben and Christy were fighting about. Till we know, we're really guessing.

I think Kevin saw someone in a blue jacket, who he and Cornell think is Ben, and that's why he's so down on Ben. And how she knew to look for it. 

I think Cornell has believed it to be Ben since Christy gave him the stinkeye in the first minutes of her arrival. She's dutifully checked others (although I don't know why she's so sure that Nicole is a solid alibi for Murphy.) And she thinks the stalker is just a vigilante trying to do her job for her, not the killer trying to break Ben. I don't think she's ever considered the possibility that Tom was murdered and put on the trail to be displayed to his biological father as a kind of taunt. And she doesn't believe Matty had the blue jacket at all. Refusing to reconsider after Ben offered a DNA sample? Refusing to wonder why a premeditating murderer drunkenly misdials Jess to apologize? Even though we are not privy to much of her investigation, it's hard to see how she's not letting her preconceptions ruin her judgment. If she doesn't really suspect Ben any longer, she's hiding that very well indeed.

It is possible Ben was roofied, because the murderer's plan works so much better if he wasn't able to give a coherent alternate account. 

The luring part is about getting Tom out of the house without waking Jess, not into the woods. A flashlight had to be used, and frankly Ben's was pretty accessible.

Cornell thinks Ben is a useless parasite on Christy and just too stupid to plan well and desperately flailing about to cast suspicion on the neighbors. I think he's clutching at straws to suspect neighbors because deep down he's afraid to look too close to home. Also, Cornell enjoys being an asshole to her favorite suspect too much to get any useful information from Ben. As to whether Ben is really such an idiot? First, the pressure he is under is truly astounding, and I think much of the dismissal of his behavior as crazy is simply ungenerous and unsympathetic and in some cases self-serving. Because there is one aspect to his desperate chase for straws in his neighbors' homes it's easy to forget. He can't bring himself to look too close to home. 

The killer's plan seems so far to hinge on 1)access to the Murphy house (Nat's key, for one,) and 2)access to Ben's flashlight (not hard, downright easy for Crawford householders) with a huge assist from 3)knowledge of Ben's paternity of Tom, and 4)knowing that Ben couldn't come up with an alibi for the night. Best suspects so far, Christy and Dave. Dave's absence of an apparent motive to have it in for Ben makes him the weaker candidate thus far. 

The stalker's familiarity with the parking garage lighting system suggests to me Christy is the best candidate for stalker, which given the good chance the stalker is the killer makes her the best candidate for killer too. But, is her client also her boyfriend? Has Christy refused possible lover's request to divorce Ben? And how interested in getting rid of Ben is he? 

The show is secrets and lies. The characters whose secrets haven't been revealed yet are Christy, Dave, Kevin, Matty, Abby and Ben.

Christy's? She's smart enough to do the math on Tom better than Ben and less prone to denial. Why is she acting like she's having an affair when she's damn well smart enough to do it slick.

Dave's? Smartest guy in the room. Ben's drunk calling Jess but he heard nothing from Ben that night? How much into young girls is he?

Kevin's? Does he know (think he knows) something?

Matty's? Where'd he get the jacket?

Abby's? What does this little sneak know?

Ben? What did he and Christy fight about?

• Love 2

"It is possible Ben was roofied, because the murderer's plan works so much better if he wasn't able to give a coherent al"

Is it plausible that he would wake up early after being roofed and go jogging? I know it's already kind of implausible that he would go for an early jog while hungover, but sometimes if I drink too much I do wake up anxious and jittery the next morning. I don't go jogging but maybe if I were in the habit of early morning jogs I would. So its not totally impossible he would wake up and go jogging after lots of drinking. What about after being drugged? Seems much less likely.

^^^I don't know how the various drugs used in this nefarious way work, except for the classic Mickey Finn, chloral hydrate. Which leaves a worse hangover than alcohol. But it seems plausible that some drugs lose their effect rather quickly and leave very little lethargy. Alcolhol dehydration we do know doesn't leave you in an energetic state for a morning run. But you're absolutely right that I'm guessing.

I thought Backyard Dave, and later Ben, alluded to the fact that Ben's affair with Jess had only then come to light and that Ben and Christy were fighting about that. Could that be what Ben's rather less than coherent message about "what's going to happen tomorrow" was about?

^^^Sounds plausible. But I don't know how it came to light, which seems to bear on motive. This is particularly true if Ben had confessed. Also, even Cornell should have trouble thinking, Ben gets found out on the affair, then later that night, after drunking up Dave for a weak alibi, carries out a plan to get rid of the son whose death leaves Christy reluctant to kick him out at such a terrible time. 

This whole thing is seeming more and more like a big conspiracy aimed at messing up Ben's life, where the kid being killed could just be collateral damage with the end goal of destroying Ben. Alternately, the little girl did it, and someone is messing with him after the fact (because.... Ratings?).

• Love 1

I'm making my official guess as to who the murderer is right here and now.  Cornell is an old conquest of Ben's that he doesn't remember.  She's never gotten over it, killed his son, and is setting him up out of revenge.  That's my final answer.  :)

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure that Tom's body was put on the path for Ben to discover on his regular run. Displaying the son's body to the father is all about the father. It doesn't seem fair to me to be so secretive about something else in the Murphy household after the show has seemingly alibied Scott.

By the way, as to the possibility they've really been withholding and Ben did do ii? If that's the case, it had to have been Cornell who put the murder/weapon flashlight back in the truck. And I find that unacceptable. The character has been portrayed as competent and honest, if too prejudiced against Ben to (apparently) think with her full ability. Breaking chain of evidence on the murder weapon? This is The Blacklist or The Following...No way! Thus, Ben finding the flashlight definitively exonerates him as far as I'm concerned.

Also, by the way, the murderer has had trouble returning the flashlight and had some trouble properly disposing of the blue jacket they were supposed to be wearing. So they haven't been able to do everything without worrying about people seeing or picking up evidence like Matty. 

Edited by sjohnson

I find it disturbing a mini-series would be about a small child being battered to death. Who would have a motive for that and try to frame someone else.? 

I don't trust his wife, she is quick to say anyone else would not commit this murder, yet I've never heard her be so adamant about her husband the father  of her children, innocence. and who is this client, the same one who brought her the earrings?  And the only reason  Ben is being accused  is because he found the child's body

Don't worry, he will be on Ben's suspect list soon and we'll find out why he's so sure Ben is guilty.  I think he actually saw Ben go to Jess's house that night.

Speaking of the tablet, didn't it end up in the bottom of the pond -- why did he have it back at his house?   Does he have spares? I can't believe Hollywood would have a "special" child be a murderer.    Tom could have been killed nearer to home and thrown out into the woods -- he didn't need to be lured.

Someone needs to concentrate more on why another case's person is accusing Cornell of "ruining her life" -- was that for real or was that for Ben/daughter's benefit?

Perhaps someone fished out the tablet for Matt when they were stealing the jacket?  That would have to be one tough tablet to survive the water!

I was also very curious about whether Cornell is repeat offender when it comes to fixating on a suspect. 

Did A leave Rosewood and come down South to torture Ben Crawford? Suddenly, I feel like I'm watching Pretty Little Liars.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.  The Supercriminal who can hack into phones, cars, etc.  Also in this episode, Dave mentioned how smart Matt is.  Are we supposed to believe that he a secret computer genious who is stalking Ben?  Another similarity to Pretty Little Liars-- the main characters are complete idiots who would have been better off revealing the truth from the beginning rather than lying and trying to investigate everything themselves.

Did anyone else notice that Cornell has become less wooden since she revealed to Ben the vmail evidence against him?  Kinda reminds me of a former boss who was annoyed by something I did and got more and more annoyed because he kept it in.  Once I got him to tell me what was wrong, he was much nicer to me!  She seems to be the same way...

On the plus side, Natalie finally behaves like a normal person! Stop the presses!

Christy--loved the speech on how she can't be angry.  It was human and very realistic.  However, I don't know what's up with accepting gifts from her clients--seems inappropriate for a married woman to accept expensive gifts from another man.  Of course, it's possible that she bought them herself and is just taking revenge on her husband by hinting at an affair.  Fits in with the idea that she cannot hate him when his son has just died.

This episode sent me back to watch the earlier episodes to see if anyone had been wearing a blue jacket. Didn't see one but I did notice that Ben changed his clothes between the time he found Tom and when he was back in the woods with the police. This was prior to him coming home and have Det. Cornell arrive. He had been wearing a kind of electric blue running shirt but when he got home the second time he was wearing a navy blue sweatshirt with a (blue, I think) tee shirt underneath.

When the police took his clothes, I wonder if they took the running shirt too? Or did they just take the sweatshirt and tee shirt?