Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E00: On the Record (2)

Direct from Nashville's world famous Grand Ole Opry House, cast members of ABC's acclaimed primetime series "Nashville" will take the stage to perform songs from the show and provide candid interviews backstage. The featured cast scheduled to appear includes Clare Bowen, Chris Carmack, Will Chase, Charles Esten, Jonathan Jackson, Sam Palladio, Maisy Stella, Lennon Stella and Aubrey Peeples. Superstar guest Reba will make an appearance at the special taping to perform her first single on Nash Icon Records, "Going Out Like That," which took the #1 spot on iTunes Country Top Songs in the US and Canada upon release. Deana Carter is also on the star-studded roster, singing a duet she co-wrote with Charles Esten for "Nashville," entitled, "I Know How to Love You Now."

I'm excited that we're finally getting a full performance of "Borrow My Heart."

• Love 1

I'm a little disappointed that Hayden won't be appearing this time, but it's understandable! The Triple Exes will soften the blow (their songs have been my favorite this season). I hope they get to sing a couple of songs.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed that! The Exes are fantastic! And the Stellas! Jonathan Jackson! The entire cast is so talented. I grew up on old-school country and folk music: Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, the Carters, Emmylou Harris, Woody Guthrie, Joan Baez. My mom sang in a Willie Nelson cover band, and my first concert was Dolly Parton at the age of five. I stick with this show because I really, really love the music and just the idea of it. This episode reminded me of that.

Was super-glad to hear "Fade into You." That song is gorgeous.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 8

The music this show makes is legitimately better than at least 75% of popular music on the charts right now. What is happening. SO MUCH TALENT!!!

I know right? Honestly, the Nashville universe seems to have better music than we do sometimes! I really appreciate that this show has actors who actually sound like they could be successful, or at least very talented, performers. I would totally buy any of them as legit successful singers. If the acting thing does not work out, most of them could do pretty well in the real music industry. 

• Love 1

That was good, but I would like the actual show back now.

While I was watching I realized that when Gunnar & Scarlett sing on the show, they sing with Southern accents. That must be harder than just speaking with an accent.

Maddie & Maisy are starting to remind me of Kylie & Kendall Jenner, they're always marketed together as a pair.

• Love 1

The Stellas are just amazing.

Fade Into You reminded me what a shame that due to the show's plot machinations we haven't been getting any Scarlett/Gunnar duets for awhile.

• Love 3

Amen, even if Scarlett and Gunnar aren't together, they still need to be singing together. 

I thought everybody sounded great last night and loved all the songs, not a clunker in the bunch. Ended up downloading it on iTunes before it was even over. 

• Love 1

Fantastic all the way around. With the exception of Connie Britton's absence, last year it was scheduling conflicts, this year it was scheduling conflicts. Let me see of I have this eight you re the star of a network show under contract and they didn't work out our schedule far enough in advance.  I call BS. She could have song one song, even of she can't sing that well Chip Esten would have more than made up for it.  BOO Connie! 

• Love 3

Eh, Connie's not the least bit comfortable singing in front of an audience and she's not that strong of a singer, I give her a pass. Though it would have been nice to have her in the audience or as Master of Ceremonies.

• Love 2

Isn't that was actresses do, do things out of their comfort zone??? She could have done one song with Chip. I'm sure it could have been a song they already have done on the show. How about Postcards from Mexico....But you know what I'll take Reba anytime...

She sang The Rivers Between Us with Chip on Sunday for her charity concert, but she held onto him through parts of it, didn't really even want to start, and then said she'd "stick to the acting" at the end. You could tell she was very nervous, it took her a while to find her voice, which she did eventually, but you could see Chip pretty much walking her through it.

For her, singing live on stage is more than just going out of her comfort zone, it's high anxiety time. 

• Love 6

I really enjoyed this episode.  I get what people mean by appearing on this episode isn't Connie Britton's strength or thing.  However, she knew the show she was signing up for, and is an executive producer of, and that music was involved as a part of it.  Oh well.  I love the show and really enjoy so many of the actors/performers.  This show emphasized how talented they really are.

• Love 1

Yeah, but she probably didn't anticipate being asked to perform at concert venues. A show about the music industry, when you have studio backup, is one thing. Taking the stage at the Opry and performing live is a totally different animal. 

• Love 8

IHowever, she knew the show she was signing up for, and is an executive producer of, and that music was involved as a part of it.

Warning: Unpopular opinion to follow:

Especially when Connie's a major lead in the series.  No one demanded that she take this part.  With this being the second year that she's MIA, it's now becoming noticeable that she does not wish to participate.  I think it's unrealistic to ask her to sing alone, but the show created songs that Rayna has sung with Deacon, Luke, and the girls.  Heck, one of the songs (I'm terrible with titles) was sung by Rayna, Deacon, and the girls, so Connie would have lots of support.  I'm not a fan of Rayna on the show, but I do find Connie's behavior irksome.  I know that many of her co-stars enjoy singing (and sing better) than Connie does, but it's still work for them.  They have to prepare and they might even get nervous, but they do it anyway.  It's part of their responsibility to the series.

I also find "scheduling conflict" to be rather insulting.  This is the second year for this special, so Connie knows that it's been done before.  She's the star of the show and a producer, and I'm supposed to buy that this engagement somehow didn't make her calendar?  Sorry, I don't believe that, and I don't think she should get a "pass" for not doing the special two years in a row.  She's the major face of this series and she's got several co-stars who can carry her for one song.  This would be like a teacher blowing off parent-teacher conferences because they were "too stressful" and made the teacher "nervous," or any other stressful activity in any profession.  Every profession has something that makes people uncomfortable, but they often have to do it anyway.  Viewers didn't pick entertainment as Connie's profession.  She did that.  Viewers did not select "Nashville" for her.  She did that, so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask her to fulfill the responsibilities of her job. This is one of those responsibilities, in my opinion.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 6

Ohmo  --  I second that unpopular opinion.  You stated it perfectly every word. She is the major lead in the series and as the major lead/executive producer (Ex-Pro sometimes name only title) she should have been there even if it's just for appearance sake. She could have done what so many other singing artists do lip sync, she's an actress damn it. Hayden would have been there but she just had a baby so I will give her a pass. It's seems Connie isn't very happy in this series. I don't think she happy the way the story line played out. Who talked her into the Faye Resnick role because that is something she should have thought twice maybe three times before agreeing to it.

• Love 2

Sutton, I have absolutely no problems with Hayden's absence.  She just had a baby and she did the show last year.  Connie's an entirely different deal to me.  This is the second time that Connie hasn't appeared.  Whether she's a producer in name-only or not, I find the "scheduling conflict" excuse highly suspect.  This is something that has to be planned well in advance, and it's something that has happened before.  Since Connie didn't do the special last year, I'd think she would anticipate having to do it this year.

I also agree about lip synching.  Put Connie next to Will Chase (Luke).  When he played Michael on SMASH, he practically blew the doors off on some of his songs.  He could completely carry the majority of the song, and she could lip synch.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3

Honestly, who cares? I mean...really. Who cares? It's a TV show with some great singers who put on a singing show last night. Connie isn't a singer and the show was great. Not to mention that if she did participate, the internet would be full of people bashing her for being a lousy singer and bringing down the rest of the cast. To me, it's a petty complaint. She's the star of a TV show, not the Grand Old Opry, and none of the actor-singers last night performed as their characters. Connie isn't actually Rayna Jaymes or the Queen of Country Music; that's Reba and she was there. If Connie would rather go to the White House, or just stay at home, so be it. She doesn't owe us all her time just because she's on TV, and she doesn't owe the show anything that's not in her contract. Nashville is just her job.

• Love 19

While that's an explanation, my opinion remains the same.  A White House event requires as much planning (or more) as this concert.  Connie still has an obligation to ABC and the members of her cast.  If she was going to be unable to attend for the second year in a row, a pretaped message explaining her absence and/or wishing her fellow castmates well on their performances would have been a way for Connie to participate.

I agree, and quite honestly, I'd rather have the performers who are into performing live be the ones actually performing in the show. I wouldn't want to show up to a "LIVE" show only to find Connie lip syncing her part with Will or Chip, and frankly I'd be embarrassed to do it if I were Connie. She's scared to death to do sing live (has only done it twice that I'm aware of), she's not all that good at it, why make an issue of it? 

• Love 8

Honestly, who cares? I mean...really. Who cares? It's a TV show with some great singers who put on a singing show last night. Connie isn't a singer and the show was great. Not to mention that if she did participate, the internet would be full of people bashing her for being a lousy singer and bringing down the rest of the cast. To me, it's a petty complaint. She's the star of a TV show, not the Grand Old Opry, and none of the actor-singers last night performed as their characters. Connie isn't actually Rayna Jaymes or the Queen of Country Music; that's Reba and she was there. If Connie would rather go to the White House, or just stay at home, so be it. She doesn't owe us all her time just because she's on TV, and she doesn't owe the show anything that's not in her contract. Nashville is just her job.

I care, and I'm entitled to care.  You are also entitled to disagree with me.

I'm very aware that Connie Britton isn't really a country singer and that this is just a TV show.  However, this TV show also happens to be Ms. Britton's job, and I feel it is one of the responsibilities of her job.  As the star of this show, I feel that to not attend or participate in this performance for both years is not a positive behavior on Connie's part.  You feel differently, so let's agree to disagree.

• Love 1

Apparently Nashville the TV show doesn't see it as her job to be there for the OTR performances. She shows up and does her job quite well as the star of the TV series, that's what she's been hired to do. Doing the OTR show, which is beyond the 22 episodes booked for this year, is additional duty that she hasn't been able to do for the last two years - and may not want to do. 

I get that you care, but I hate to see that ruin your enjoyment of what was such a terrific night, full of some really amazing performances by the other members of the cast. 

• Love 7

The thing is that if she's not contractually obligated, it's not a responsibility of her job. And if she were contractually obligated, she'd have been there. Her responsibilities to this job are laid out clearly in a contract; there's not really any opinion involved. All of the performers on last night's show chose to do it. They were paid for it and signed contracts that laid out the terms. I mean, I guess we're all able to judge that anyone should do more than he/she is required to do for a job, but if I didn't want to, I certainly wouldn't do it for my company. And if I had to choose between that show and promoting a movie and visiting the White House, I'd absolutely choose the latter. Promoting the movie is also her job. If the dates overlap, she gets to choose which is more important, not me, because you know...it's her life and her job, not mine. And sure, that part is my opinion.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 8

I have no problem with Connie being absent.  She isn't a good singer, the audience knows she's not a good singer, and she no doubt knows the audience feels this way.  I'm happier not having to hear her sing, and I don't know why people want her to sing, only to trash her singing ability.

Claire and the girls just glow when they perform.  Even when I'm not enjoying their storylines, I love seeing them perform.

Is the budget super low for this show?  I routinely watch Black Roses from last year's show, and Claire is wearing the exact same dress and hair style/ornament.

• Love 2

I doubt that the concert specials were planned when the series was first conceived. They seem like a way for the show to get more iTunes sales and the actors who love to sing/write songs to get more exposure. Connie does not have a great voice, so that wouldn't help with the former, and she doesn't want to be any sort of singer, so why would she take away the time from those who do?

• Love 5

Connie Britton tweeted that she had pneumonia during the concert last year.  Plus, there's that famous story that Connie asked if she would be singing would when she signed on and the response was basically, 'do you want to?'  The whole cast doesn't go on tour.  They don't even all go to interviews with the whole cast.  I think the cast attends what they want to, along with a couple of mandatory press events.

Back on topic, I haven't really cared about the songs this season but really liked hearing them in the special.  The Stellas was the highlight for me.  They're such pros!  I also liked hearing more about how they listen to a bunch of songs, then assign them to people as it makes sense for the story.

• Love 1

Yeah, Connie's singing is roundly criticized on this board, and elsewhere on the internet, so I don't expect her to sing live in a show like this.  That would be kind of stupid if she did. 

Maybe they have to auto-tune her a lot for the show.   I would not want her to show up just to lip sync.  The others are much better singers and much more suited to these live type performances. 

Connie is a great actress and sings well enough to get by on the show... but I don't think she or anyone involved thinks she should be performing live at The Grand Ole Opry.  I certainly don't hold it against her.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 6

I liked this show much better than the one last year. More songs, less interviews.

There's a LOT of talent in this cast, and they picked some great songs. Plus, the arrangements were stellar.

• Love 9

i'm at a loss to understand the animosity toward Connie Britton for not appearing in these specials!

Connie Britton is an actress, not a musician or singer. She has an OK voice, that can be pleasant, but, she is certainly not someone that would be performing live, at the Opry.

When she was hired, I'm sure her acting ability,was the overwhelming consideration, since the role would be one of the series leads. At the time, I doubt the OTR specials were even on the horizon.

There is some terrific musical talent in the Nashville cast. It's fun to see them highlighted.

I'd find it a little insulting to them, if Connie got up and lip sync he'd a song,just to insert her presence in the special. Kudos to her for Not doing that.

I enjoyed the special, and from the preview, looks like Connie will be in fine form, next week, doing what she does well; Acting!

• Love 11

Connie is more of an actress than a singer. I think she does a good job singing on the show, but, looking at it from a sheer singing perspective, she is probably the least impressive in the bunch. I think her acting makes up for it though. Even when I don't care much for Raina, I appreciate Connie`s acting chops.  

LOVE the Triples Exxxes. And the big final song was really wonderfully arranged. Have to watch some clips again! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I love Layla.  I was hoping she would do her demo song that Rayna was listening to when she decided to sign her.  On a shallow note, damn that girl is gorgeous!

My favorites were Fade Into You and the Stella sisters.   Love, love, love them!!   And an honorable mention to both JJ and to the beer drinking song.

• Love 2

Can we talk about how Layla has one of the most underrated voices on this show. SHE IS AMAZING!!! Huge voice. 

Very much agreed!  She's got a great, very unique, voice.  I didn't notice on the show til they stopped giving her such dumb songs...  Hope to hear more from her now that she's joining up with Rayna.  

I don't mind that Connie wasn't there, she's not much of a singer -- I'd have liked to have seen Laura Benanti though! 

• Love 2

I know right? Honestly, the Nashville universe seems to have better music than we do sometimes! I really appreciate that this show has actors who actually sound like they could be successful, or at least very talented, performers. I would totally buy any of them as legit successful singers. If the acting thing does not work out, most of them could do pretty well in the real music industry. 

I live in Nashville. Some of them do perform here. We have tickets to see Jonathan and his band in May. :)

• Love 3

Honestly, the Nashville universe seems to have better music than we do sometimes!

Seriously! I try tuning in to my local country station on Thursday mornings and am always bitterly disappointed to find out that everybody sounds like Luke Wheeler. Do you have to live in Nashville to find this music or is there some kind of Alt Country out there?

• Love 3

Seriously! I try tuning in to my local country station on Thursday mornings and am always bitterly disappointed to find out that everybody sounds like Luke Wheeler. Do you have to live in Nashville to find this music or is there some kind of Alt Country out there?

Its true! I'm a huge country music fan, but there is a serious lack of diversity (AND WOMEN) on the top 50 country charts right now. Its pretty insane. 

• Love 1