Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E00: On the Record (2)

Seriously! I try tuning in to my local country station on Thursday mornings and am always bitterly disappointed to find out that everybody sounds like Luke Wheeler. Do you have to live in Nashville to find this music or is there some kind of Alt Country out there?

I would look for programs on public radio rather than major country stations. This may not be what you're looking for, but I've heard bluegrasscountry.org a few times when I've been in DC and now see it can be streamed!

• Love 2

I feel like Nashville the show portrays a more idealized country music scene...you know, one where people never ran steam rollers over Dixie Chick CDs. It also seems to really love songwriters. There's a lot of great music in Nashville, and plenty of it isn't Luke Wheeler country; a lot isn't country at all. But I don't feel like much of that makes it to the radio. I don't actually get the sense that country radio accurately represents Nashville the city much anymore at all, to be honest, especially when you've got Jack White or Butterfly Boucher working there. And this show kind of exists in the fantasy space where the spectacular talent in Nashville is what wins on the radio. But I can't say that's based on anything except my own (limited) observations.

Do you like bluesy/soulful stuff, Clemgo? You might like JJ Grey or Little Hurricane or Grace Potter or Joss Stone. Also, last year, I saw a guy named John Fullbright open for Patty Griffin. He was fantastic.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

MM  --  I was never really into county music, but I did like Reba, Garth, George Strait, Kenny Rogers, Faith/Tim, Kenny Chesney and others, so is the music on the Nashville Series considered country music.

"I would look for programs on public radio rather than major country stations. This may not be what you're looking for, but I've heard bluegrasscountry.org a few times when I've been in DC and now see it can be streamed!"

This! This is exactly what I do. I live in Central VA so we get public radio from the Southwestern part of the state and are fed a pretty steady diet of bluegrass in between the classical. We also get Mountain Stage and some other programs like it, love Mountain Stage. And the local college station will sometimes veer into "Americana" as Rose put it, so you'll hear folks like Nanci Griffith, the Wailin' Jennys, and the Secret Sisters. But I'm forever looking for the next group.

"I feel like Nashville the show portrays a more idealized country music scene...you know, one where people never ran steam rollers over Dixie Chick CDs. It also seems to really love songwriters. There's a lot of great music in Nashville, and plenty of it isn't Luke Wheeler country; a lot isn't country at all. But I don't feel like much of that makes it to the radio. I don't actually get the sense that country radio accurately represents Nashville the city much anymore at all, to be honest, especially when you've got Jack White or Butterfly Boucher working there. And this show kind of exists in the fantasy space where the spectacular talent in Nashville is what wins on the radio. But I can't say that's based on anything except my own (limited) observations."

Yeah, I think you're right. I think Juliette's situation last year was supposed to be similar to what the Dixie Chicks went through, but I don't think they've even been forgiven yet - sad, really, because I loved them and miss hearing them.

I lived in Nashville for a year and remember going to hear the Gunnars, Scarletts, Deacons, and Averys of the time, but no, I don't remember hearing them on the radio much at all. And it felt like the songwriters were definitely celebrated, but being able to bring down the house at the Bluebird didn't seem to translate into airplay on Country radio.

Thanks for your recs MM, I'll give them a try. Heard Grace Potter last year, but she was doing a full-on Janis Joplin impersonation and not doing a very good job of it, unfortunately. Trombone Shorty, who I love, opened for her so that was the highlight for me that night.

• Love 2

Trombone Shorty! Yes!

If you haven't heard already, the Dixie Chick sisters put out a couple of bluegrassy albums as the Courtyard Hounds, and Natalie Maines did an indie, Americana-rock-ish, mostly cover album. All are good, but I miss them as a group too!

Sutton: I'm not a music expert by any means, but personally I wouldn't call most of the music on Nashville "country" by today's radio standards. Luke and Will seem like radio country to me, and Deacon has an old-country sound. Juliette seems like a crossover type. But the music I like the most--Scarlett, Gunnar, Avery, Sadie, the Stella girls, Layla--sounds more folky, bluesy, or indie to me. I don't know what the technical classifications are, but I tend to judge on the banjo. There's not nearly enough banjo on this show!

• Love 6

I feel like Nashville the show portrays a more idealized country music scene...you know, one where people never ran steam rollers over Dixie Chick CDs.

Thank you for this. I miss the Dixie Chicks, too. I wasn't really a fan until seeing how they handled the controversy, and then the "Shut Up and Sing" doc. (Hope I'm not going too OT). Quick Q: do you recommend Natalie's solo album? (hint - I'm a huge Patty Griffin fan).

Secondly, I didn't even catch this episode (hoping I find it On Demand), but I'm happy to hear Connie wasn't on it, and this is coming from a HUGE Connie Britton fan. I love her, but, er, not her singing. Frankly, I always fast-forward through her performances on the show, and did I mention I'm a big fan?! Good for her for knowing her strengths and weaknesses.

• Love 2

I thought Natalie's solo record was fantastic! It sounds a lot like a Dixie Chicks album, actually (after they took control of their sound), but with no banjo or harmonies. #Natalie4prez #Patty4queenofallthings

You know who I missed? Laura Benanti. I read on Twitter that she was doing a show with the Rockettes, but if we're judging these people for their career choices, I say...why'd you ditch us, Laura?!

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I thought Natalie's solo record was fantastic! It sounds a lot like a Dixie Chicks album, actually (after they took control of their sound), but with no banjo. #Natalie4prez #Patty4queenofallthings!

I couldn't agree more with your hashtags! #thankyou

On my to-do list for Sunday - Watch this episode, and buy/download the Natalie solo record (and maybe a few Scarlett/Gunnar et al. tracks). #Itrustyourjudgment

• Love 2

The one thing I don't understand about Connie Britton (and I totally agree with those who think she should have been there) is this:

This is Season 3. Maybe at first her insecurities with her voice were understandable. But as producer and star of the show, she should be working on her voice to improve it. Two and a half year into the show, if she was working on her voice it would be a lot stronger than when she started. It seems like she has been content to let her voice stay weak. While being the star and producer of the show. If you had a job that paid you millions and you had only one weak link, wouldn't you be working constantly to shore it up and turn it into a strength? Almost everybody would make that a top priority.

I don't know for sure, but it really seems like she has been content to stay a weak singer. Which bugs me. 

Edited by Midru

I could take singing lessons from now til the end of time and I still wouldn't be able to carry a tune unless it was literally in a bag.  Effort does not always equal ability and ability maxes out at some point.

• Love 14

I agree, totally, effort does not equal Ability. I think Connies voice has improved, but she is never going to have the vocal range of many of her co stars.

Can hard work and desire turn a minor league pitcher,into the Game One Starter in the World Series? Can it turn a decent college quarterback into a Super Bowl Superstar?

(Or even earn them a place on a major league or NF L tean). Not unless they also have a whole lot of talent!

The purpose of the special, isn't to show off the Nashville stars,itt's to show off the musical talent on the show.

Musical talent isn't Connie's strong point; I see no reason why she should be up there.

• Love 9

I agree, totally, effort does not equal Ability. I think Connies voice has improved, but she is never going to have the vocal range of many of her co stars.

Can hard work and desire turn a minor league pitcher,into the Game One Starter in the World Series? Can it turn a decent college quarterback into a Super Bowl Superstar?

(Or even earn them a place on a major league or NF L tean). Not unless they also have a whole lot of talent!

The purpose of the special, isn't to show off the Nashville stars,itt's to show off the musical talent on the show.

Musical talent isn't Connie's strong point; I see no reason why she should be up there.

ITA (and one of my pet peeves on a lot of competitive reality shows is when people say, "But I want this more than anyone else!" because desire doesn't equal talent and hard work can only take you so far) - if all it took was a lot of heart and a lot of hard work, shouldn't Lea Michele have become a great dancer after six seasons of Glee? The producers and editors spent six years camouflaging her less than adequate dance skills (and I have no doubt that she made the effort to improve her dancing), so I don't feel that Connie owes it to anyone to be at these events. Singing in a controlled environment like a recording studio or a closed set is very different from singing in front of a live audience and it can be really nerve wracking, so I am fine with her not singing live at these OTR shows. Besides having pneumonia and going to the White Hosue seem like pretty good excuses to skip the shows.

While I was watching I realized that when Gunnar & Scarlett sing on the show, they sing with Southern accents. That must be harder than just speaking with an accent.

It's actually very common. If you take voice lessons or sing in a choir, you are taught certain pronunciations. For example, words that end with a long E are pronounced with more of a long A or short E sound, especially when the note is held. For example, if you end a phrase with the word "me" being held for several counts, the long E sound is too bright so it's sung as a cross between "may" and "meh" while you hold the note and then you close the word with a slight Y sound. If you listen to British and Australian singers, many of them sound very American when they sing. I noticed that Ed Sheeran sounds mostly American when he sings with the exception of a few words (like the word "fall" in "Thinking Out Loud").

I love the group songs! I was so excited to see Chip, Clare, Lennon, and Maisy singing together and then everyone else came out too!

Clare and Sam:

Chris and Will:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Besides, if Connie Britton could really sing too she'd just have so much going for her I couldn't tolerate it.

• Good Actress
  • Beautiful
  • Aging Well
  • Chemistry with Kyle Chandler and Chip Esten
  • World Class Hair
  • Love 7

I finally got around to watching it and I enjoyed it so much. I was sad to see it end, actually. I would have loved for Connie and/or Hayden to have been there, but I understand why they weren't and I loved it anyway. 

Connie's absence did not detract from my viewing pleasure of this special one bit. She likely knows she has one of the weakest singing voices of the bunch (although I think the guy who plays Luke Wheeler is the worst) and I can understand her not wanting to participate.

If this was a Hindi/Bollywood show none of the actors would be doing their own singing anyway--its all outsourced to professional playback singers. At least here the entire cast has actual musical talent.

I know I've heard Claire Bowen in interviews before, but somehow I never noticed how husky/sexy/ completely un-Scarlet-like her natural accent/ speaking voice is.

I had this same reaction - I've only heard her natural voice a few times but on this show it sounded really low. And THEN she switches to a high pitch singing voice.  No idea how she does that lol 

Connie's absence did not detract from my viewing pleasure of this special one bit. She likely knows she has one of the weakest singing voices of the bunch (although I think the guy who plays Luke Wheeler is the worst)

I don't like Luke Wheeler either, but Will Chase is a Broadway guy and has a great voice (I previously saw him on NBC's Smash and didn't realize it was the same guy when he showed up here, he sounded so different). I think the "bro country" style just doesn't suit him.

• Love 3
(edited)

This show is such an anomoly for me, I typicially do not watch soaps not do I like country music, but I really like It, and enjoy the music shows too. The super twangy songs aren't for me so much, but Fade Into You is so solid all around. Was it really written for this show? I bought this episode's version and have been listening to the other recording pretty regularly for many months. I also really like the voice of the actress that plays Layla. I think what really gets me is that I'm a sucker for duets of any genre and this show is seriously duet forward.

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 3

This show is such an anomoly for me, I typicially do not watch soaps not do I like country music, but I really like It, and enjoy the music shows too. The super twangy songs aren't for me so much, but Fade Into You is so solid all around. Was it really written for this show? I bought this episode's version and have been listening to the other recording pretty regularly for many months. I also really like the voice of the actress that plays Layla. I think what really gets me is that I'm a sucker for duets of any genre and this show is seriously duet forward.

I never gave much thought to duets prior to watching this show, but you are right, it is one of their strengths - they've got some actor/singers who can seriously harmonize.

I think I preferred the previous On the Record where there were brief interviews with some of the writers - that really gave context for me. Maybe they were just trying to fit too much into this show to be able to do that again, or perhaps they don't want to single out some of the songwriters and not others.

I think I preferred the previous On the Record where there were brief interviews with some of the writers - that really gave context for me. Maybe they were just trying to fit too much into this show to be able to do that again, or perhaps they don't want to single out some of the songwriters and not others.

I missed them too, though I wouldn't have wanted to go without any of the music either. But I liked getting to hear from the songwriters as individuals rather than all lumped in together.

I think the "bro country" style just doesn't suit him.

I think you're right. I suddenly started liking his songs once Rayna broke up with him. It must have something to do with his range, but the last couple of songs they've given him, including the one he did in the special, have really hit his sweet spot and he suddenly sounds terrific. 

I think that Connie knows that her voice isn't good enough to merit an Opry invitation on her own and wisely stayed away. JJ who has performed over 10 times there, the Stella sisters and CE among others have gotten invitations.

The show's musical quality is basically leaving Britton behind, and if you notice she's singing less and less. At 13, Lennon Stella had far better timing, communication, stage presence, and vocal style than Britton ever will have, and both Stellas are only getting better. Way it goes.

btw, re the Stella sisters, a prediction: they really do, IMO, have a future as professional singers provided that nothing untoward happens. Yes, you can fix pitch, but you can't autotune the way they harmonize (which was audible on their very first YouTube video, where they *weren't* autotuned) or any other qualities. The song they performed on this special also, IMO, showed that Maisie will have the more powerful voice of the two. We don't usually hear it because even at eight she knew how to modulate her voice to blend with her sister's, but in the solo line she sang toward the end of their song you can hear how much her voice is growing in force. Lennon, by contrast, sings (inevitably) with far more confidence than she did three years ago, but her voice is still rather breathy and delicate. Time and maturity will tel, of course. But that would be my guess.

• Love 3

I don't like Luke Wheeler either, but Will Chase is a Broadway guy and has a great voice (I previously saw him on NBC's Smash and didn't realize it was the same guy when he showed up here, he sounded so different). I think the "bro country" style just doesn't suit him.

I watched Smash and didn't think much of his voice there either. I consider him a musical nonentity.

For any interested iTunes users - this episode is currently available in the Free on iTunes section.  I really enjoyed this concert episode, especially the Triple Exes, and Jackson's and Esten's songs.  So it's now in my video library for free!

They rotate the freebies, so I don't know how long it will be there. 

• Love 1

I don't mind Connie's voice, but I think the concert shows are a tribute to the singers and songwriters on the show, and don't need to include the actors. Connie does some singing, but she is not a professional singer and wouldn't fit in singing at the Opry. The other people who are mainly actors such as Eric Close and Oliver Hudson are not part of this either. It's kind of a gift for the fans. I have tickets to see the group (minus Sam ) in concert in Illinois next month and can't wait. A couple of months ago I saw Jonathan Jackson in a small concert in Milwaukee and he was very sweet.

• Love 1