Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Ghosts

A patient's exposure to radiation sends the Night Shift into chaos. Topher implements an immediate quarantine and locks down the ER. Paul cares for the quarantined patient with the help of Ragosa and Kenny. Meanwhile, TC, Drew, and Gwen race to the site of a multi-victim car cash, where they discover an injured police officer at the heart of the accident. Back at the hospital TC and Jordan work desperately to save the officer's life using an unconventional procedure. TC gets an unwelcome surprise when his troubled sister-in-law Annie shows up out of the blue. Still adrift and grieving over the death of her husband, Annie is eager to reminisce with TC about the good old days. Meanwhile, a former patient harasses Jordan, and Drew struggles with his recent breakup. Joey pushes Krista to take her future into her own hands.

I'm really curious as to how they're going to create a patient with "radioactive blood."  There's only been one man who's managed that that, and he does whatever a spider can.

I really got to remind myself that this is only a TV show.

• Love 1

A radioactive lockdown = 100% guilty pleasure, turning out as my favorite episode this year. I think that, for the most part, it had the most "nuanced" writing the show had so far.

Plainly, I liked everybody. And I love when I'm able to appreciate every character, or at least not dislike any, when I watch a TV show.

Except...NOOOOO! No, no, no, no ! Keep Chavez! I love him! As much as Topher and Ragosa and Paul as of this episode! And he waited until he wasn't Krista's boss anymore to make his move, on a soapy medical show. But I wouldn't have cared -and I didn't care that she wan't free, because I spent the damn episode grumbling "kiss her, damn it, instead of having intense eye-sex" and I found their chemistry amazing and hot, actually.

And I love how he encourages her (prop for continuity re: Krista's chronic lack of confidence) and appreciates her. They make a good team. And I want the best for my girl Krista!

Stop sinking my ships, show! Plus, Topher needs another adult in here and TC needs someone to keep him in line ! Seriously, don't put Chavez on a bus!

Paul, my darling, was so amazing and all grownup badass and compassionate doc. Love him, love his humility and yet how he grew more assertive. I wanted to hug him in the end.

Topher rules, of course. He was great as a boss in this one.

And Ragosa rules, too. Always the comptetent one. I love how matter of fact, as un-emo as possible, and ironic he is about his motivation/backstory of poverty.

I can't believe it, but he made me not dislike Kenny. Loved the "Happy Go Charlie of the ER" line, because that's kind of exactly how I've seen Kenny so far and why I'm not involved in his character.

I wasn't sorry for him re:Krista and Chavez, though, since I found them mismatched. Not because she's a doctor and he a nurse, but because I felt that they weren't in the same place re:maturity. Moreover, he seemed quite receptive to Jordan's paramedic friend advances.

Maybe, since it's obvious she has a Painful Past, he can be involved in this storyline and it will make me like both of them better.

Wow, Drew has it rough. But he manages better than I thought. It's going to start to look like that I condone violence (which I don't) but I kind of wasn't terribly sorry that he punched the misogynist/racist pig. But I wish, again, that he and Krista had more scenes together.

Oh, man, the triangle is back, isn't it? I was rolling my eyes, but on the other hand, I kind of hope it won't be a complete mess.

1) I've seen Jordan and TC be a good team in this episode, too, and after the first part of the season where they were a loving couple, I can see why those two people would want to be together -which I didn't in S1.

2) I've seen why they lied to each other, and I could see that both of them had a point. Jordan more than TC imo, but OTOH he gave her an opportunity to speak to him in the end. It's the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I can understand that and I think the writing described well the escalation of one little white lie.

3) Nevertheless, TC is being juvenile and ruins it all because of his weird relationship with his SIL/guilt that his brother is dead/family issues. And I thought: Finally, he isn't perfect, yeah! I certainly hope he won't sleep with Annie, but depending on his attitude in the fallout, it could actually make me like him better. If the show doesn't find a way to present him as the wronged party; if he's there for Jordan and doesn't take out his guilt on Scott, in summary if he isn't written as a self-righteous Gary Stu, maybe I can finally see him as a character instead of a walking trope.

4) Same, Scott ended-up being the "savior", role which imo he'd never have been allowed to have last year, and behaved like a decent guy. No, he didn't wake Jordan up when TC called, and yes, it's obvious that he still loves her. But imo, last season, the writers would have made him answer her phone to rub his presence at her side in TC's face, or do something underhanded like erasing the message/phone call, and this time he didn't.

So well, it could be a messy redux, but with the last couple of episodes and the evolution of many characters imo in the right direction, I hope that the writers surprise me and don't go down the same road.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

For doctors, these guys really like to punch people who offend them.

Chavez, please stay! These people need you more than Doctors Without Borders. And since in every episode it seems a doc makes a house call to an accident site, you can get plenty of field work. Please, I'm begging you, stay!

• Love 2

I had a bad day yesterday.  Depression hit me hard.

Whenever depression hits, I don't feel like watching super cynical TV.  So I thought I'd skip the new episode of Better Call Saul and call it an early night.

However, at 9:00 (CT), I wasn't exactly sleepy.  So, I decided to watch this.

Why, oh why, did they have to kill the cute superchub bear guy!?  He was so sweet and cuddly looking!

Believe it or not, that plot didn't exacerbate my depression.  Maybe because the characters treated him like a human being and not insulting of weight.  (At least, I don't think they did.  I didn't turn my sound on until the first commercial break).

Also, it was a good thing I wasn't eating, what with all the slicing people open and emergency surgery and whatnot.

Where has Scott been all season? He looks so much like Ragosa that I didn't know who was whom. I thought Scott was gone and that was Ragosa who took Jordan home, then Ragosa is shown filling the dumpster. So thanks, Happy, for filling in the details for me.

I'd be happy if this were the Drew, Topher and Chavez show. TC can take off with SIL as far as I'm concerned. Maybe he should go do Doctors w/o Borders in Chavez's place.

• Love 2

Did I miss something important about why Paul had BARE HANDS when he was removing the super-toxic shard from that poor guy's leg?  Everybody else had huge, brightly-colored gloves on.  It just seemed incredibly dangerous to attempt that procedure without even surgeon's gloves on.  I hit "Delete" before I realized it, so can't go back to check.  

But overall, very nice episode, very reminiscent of ER in the good days.  I think TC drags the show down, to be honest, because his story lines seem to be the soapiest.  So it's good that the focus seems to be shifting away to other characters.  Very sad to see Chavez leave!  He was an intriguing character and the actor was great.  Well, more Topher, more Paul, more Ragosa, hope, hope. 

Did I miss something important about why Paul had BARE HANDS when he was removing the super-toxic shard from that poor guy's leg?  Everybody else had huge, brightly-colored gloves on.  It just seemed incredibly dangerous to attempt that procedure without even surgeon's gloves on.

I guess they didn't think it mattered because he'd already been exposed. But Topher told him if he made even one mistake, he could get infected so I don't understand why he wasn't wearing gloves. I thought it was especially glaring when he handed over the container to the CDC (or whoever those guys were). They were wearing giant protective gloves; his hands were bare. Really?! That seems really wrong.

• Love 2

I guess they didn't think it mattered because he'd already been exposed. But Topher told him if he made even one mistake, he could get infected so I don't understand why he wasn't wearing gloves. I thought it was especially glaring when he handed over the container to the CDC (or whoever those guys were). They were wearing giant protective gloves; his hands were bare. Really?! That seems really wrong.

They should also have all had their necks covered to protect their thyroid glands.

I don't know if I understand the point of getting us invested in whether or not Krista and Chavez were going to hook up if they were just going to send him packing after 5 episodes.  I guess to stir up some friction with Kenny, but frankly, Kenny is pretty disposable as a character.

I know this was supposed to be a big transformative moment for Paul--he is the John Carter of the series--but there was something in those scenes that felt off.  I'd also had a really lousy day, so maybe it was more to do with me, but the emotional beats felt really off, and I don't know if that's a problem with the writing, Robert Bailey's performance, or a combination of both.

Love triangle?  Blergh.

TC's continued manpain over his brother?  Blergh.

I thought for a horrifying five minutes that Drew's pain over his split with Rick was going to push him to hook up with Jordan's friend, but then they had her flirting with Kenny, and that calmed me down.

Did I miss something important about why Paul had BARE HANDS when he was removing the super-toxic shard from that poor guy's leg?  Everybody else had huge, brightly-colored gloves on.  It just seemed incredibly dangerous to attempt that procedure without even surgeon's gloves on.  I hit "Delete" before I realized it, so can't go back to check.  

I rewatched that scene and he had his gloves on when he was removing the shard and putting it in the container. Then the camere focused on other characters and when it got back to Paul he wasn't wearing gloves anymore.

• Love 1

I rewatched that scene and he had his gloves on when he was removing the shard and putting it in the container. Then the camere focused on other characters and when it got back to Paul he wasn't wearing gloves anymore.

Maybe just continuity, then, because I still don't think the gloves should be removed until he was done.  Why was everyone else wearing them if there still wasn't some danger? I'm not usually one to pick up on little things like that, but it really caught my eye this time.  And I wonder if in real life everyone in that scene would have been in hazmat suits.  

A radioactive lockdown = 100% guilty pleasure, turning out as my favorite episode this year. I think that, for the most part, it had the most "nuanced" writing the show had so far.

Plainly, I liked everybody. And I love when I'm able to appreciate every character, or at least not dislike any, when I watch a TV show.

Except...NOOOOO! No, no, no, no ! Keep Chavez! I love him! As much as Topher and Ragosa and Paul as of this episode! And he waited until he wasn't Krista's boss anymore to make his move, on a soapy medical show. But I wouldn't have cared -and I didn't care that she wan't free, because I spent the damn episode grumbling "kiss her, damn it, instead of having intense eye-sex" and I found their chemistry amazing and hot, actually.

And I love how he encourages her (prop for continuity re: Krista's chronic lack of confidence) and appreciates her. They make a good team. And I want the best for my girl Krista!

Stop sinking my ships, show! Plus, Topher needs another adult in here and TC needs someone to keep him in line ! Seriously, don't put Chavez on a bus!

Put the triangle on the bus and keep Chavez!  I will be annoyed if he actually leaves.  Did Adam Rodriguez do a pilot that's going to get picked up, I wonder?  That would be the only reason I could think of for writing off Chavez.  He's a great character.

I'm over the triangle, I'm over Thad, and I had hoped that Scott had left for good.

I'm also pissed that Paul's patient is going to die.  I know this is a hospital show, but I don't need a death in every episode.  I would have much preferred that the patient's exposure was enough to make him ill, but not enough to kill him.

This "two new episodes in two days" thing is also not ideal for me.  My TiVo is spoken for at 10:00 this evening.  Looks like I will be streaming tonight's episode.

And I wonder if in real life everyone in that scene would have been in hazmat suits.

Yes to this. Even Paul. Sure, he had been "exposed" but no one at that point knew for sure, or how much he had been exposed. Better to take extra precautions rather than just think, oh heck, we're all screwed anyway so forget it.

When that guy threw the bloody glob of bandage or whatever down on the hospital floor ... gah. That should have been picked up with tongs and put in bio-hazard, then the floor disinfected stat. Instead, the radioactive blood stain was still there hours later. The heck, hospital staff! People keep their houses cleaner than that. (Well, most people anyway.)

• Love 1

Don't go, Chavez!  You're one of the few who isn't afraid to confront T.C.!  I mean, sure, there is Scott too, but he has to be a dick about it.

Paul's story-line went better then I expected.  The actor playing the patient was really good, and I felt for Paul at the end.  He did a good job overall (even bringing him back from the dead), only for it all not to work out.  At least Topher and the rest gave him credit for stepping up.

T.C. and Jordan working together actually wasn't too bad.  When they focus on their work, they are actually solid enough.  Of course, this has to mean both of them are now keeping secrets from each other, which will probably blow up in their faces.  And, I totally think Scott is trying something, even though I fully don't blame him for not answering his phone (knowing T.C., he might assume the worst if he heard Scott's voice over Jordan's phone.)  if I didn't know better, I might even suspect this paroled stalker is actually being set up, and it's Scott all along.  But that might be too crazy, even for this show.

Drew's turn to punch someone, I guess.

Ragosa really is 100 times more awesome now.  Got a kick out of how his studying actually helped with the ink idea.

While there is still plenty of craziness in this show (duh, it comes with the territory), I do feel like Topher is running a tighter ship as the boss then Jordan did last season.  Good to see a mainly competent character in charge.  Just don't screw it up, show.

• Love 1

I'm also pissed that Paul's patient is going to die.  I know this is a hospital show, but I don't need a death in every episode.  I would have much preferred that the patient's exposure was enough to make him ill, but not enough to kill him.

I know! I had such a bad feeling about it, the more he talked about going on that upcoming trip with his dad, but I kept hoping they'd have a twist where he'd be sick but eventually okay so that he could go enjoy the time with his dad. That scene where we saw a snippet of him calling his dad and then Topher walked away to give him some privacy... ugh. Dagger to the heart.

if I didn't know better, I might even suspect this paroled stalker is actually being set up, and it's Scott all along.  But that might be too crazy, even for this show.

Wow, what a great idea! I'm all for that one.

And, I totally think Scott is trying something, even though I fully don't blame him for not answering his phone (knowing T.C., he might assume the worst if he heard Scott's voice over Jordan's phone.)  if I didn't know better, I might even suspect this paroled stalker is actually being set up, and it's Scott all along.  But that might be too crazy, even for this show.

"Scott is the stalker" was my EXACT thought the MOMENT I figured out who it was that got out of the car! 

(Now, granted I'm biased, because I'm one of the few (only? LOL) TC-fan on here, so naturally I'm against the Scott character.)

I mean, he zooms in with his shiny car and *immediately* runs to Jordan. Okay... instinctive, I suppose, to see her hurting / shocked from within your car. But to also *immediately* know what's going on when you've been staring at *her* the entire time you drove / ran up?? You didn't even look at the damaged car until AFTER you heard her mumbled.

And, I need to re-watch, but I don't ever remember Jordan SAYING to Scott (or anyone other than the cop-friend, for that matter) that she was dealing with a stalker. So, the second Scott says something about knowing a thing about crazy stalkers in her apartment, I *swear* the hair on the back of my neck and my head rose up slightly.

In other news, c'mon, surely you people realize that Chavez is not leaving for any length of time. He seems well received by everyone, and the writers just now let him kiss Krista and stir Kenny up. There's WAY more story to be told there -- there just wanted to create some angst / drama by having him threaten to leave. And, even though ya'll will hate the idea, I predict that TC will be involved in convincing Chavez to stay -- another male bonding moment for my boy, TC. ;-)

I don't know how to feel about Paul. Topher gave him some sort of pills for any possible radiation poisoning, right? But by the show admitting / showing that, doesn't that pretty much indicate that story line will be brought up again? (I mean, since I've been lurking these boards and enjoying my TC-Show, it seems like they skip over anything and everything they don't want to bother with...)

Eh, maybe I'm just over-hyped. I love all parts of this show, and the episodes just get better and better and better... 

Hacerry, you bring up some great points. I wondered too why Scott was all, "GET IN MY CAR NOW!" instead of saying, "The heck, what happened? Do you need a ride?" The car had a flat ... how about, "Hey, want me to change that tire for you?" and "Wow, what happened to that window?" Scott was all way too up on Jordan being in trouble/stalked.

Yeah, I can totally see that. Not that any of the show writers can.

Yeah, exactly! :-0

And now that I think about it, making such a big deal about Scott hanging up on TC when the phone rang could be more evidence.

If it wasn't EVIDENCE to him being a stalker / bad guy, they could have just had the phone ring off camera, and then cut to the scene with TC and sister-in-law in the bar, and we would have understood the implication.

But perhaps Scott silencing the call was more sinister in nature, so as to not give TC any clues!

Ohhhh... and perhaps Scott being the stalker is the story line that is "in two parts"... since none of the text in the preview for tonight seems particularly carry-over-worthy...! And if that's true, thaen that whole stalker scene(s) being near the end of episode 5 is evidence to THAT theory!

Oh, this is fun! ;-)

Man... that was really sad. Paul and his patient broke my heart.

Me, too. I blubbered like a baby. Warren was such a mensch. Paul is the Dr. Carter of NS. BTW, Warren needs to get a lawyer ASAP!

I noticed that TC's slattern of a SIL had that death head heroin in her purse at the very end when it was laying on the bar. Hope she uses it fast.

Ragosa is shown filling the dumpster.

The unsecured, unlocked, plainly labeled as radioactive dumpster, to be specific.    I had completely forgotten about Scott, and my reaction was "Ragosa is the stalker?  Seriously?"  Thanks for the clarification. 

Very sad to see Chavez leave!  He was an intriguing character and the actor was great.  Well, more Topher, more Paul, more Ragosa, hope, hope.

Same hopes here!

Put the triangle on the bus and keep Chavez!  I will be annoyed if he actually leaves.  Did Adam Rodriguez do a pilot that's going to get picked up, I wonder?  That would be the only reason I could think of for writing off Chavez.  He's a great character.

Unfortunately, yes, per deadline: http://deadline.com/2015/02/adam-rodriguez-cast-runner-abc-pilot-1201381397/

In other news, c'mon, surely you people realize that Chavez is not leaving for any length of time. He seems well received by everyone, and the writers just now let him kiss Krista and stir Kenny up. There's WAY more story to be told there -- there just wanted to create some angst / drama by having him threaten to leave.

See above, I think they did the Doctors without Borders thing to give an out to Chavez, in case his pilot is picked-up.

I almost wonder if A.Rodriguez wasn't hire to more or less replace Scott Wolf who might have had prior/other commitments, considering his absence this year.

As for Scott as the stalker, I certainly hope it isn't the case. It would be such a Ron the DeathEater thing to do, just when the show's writing became less manichean and they're toning down the Gary Stu thing with TC. I'd like Scott free of the Triangle, and hanging out with the adults instead of the kids.

Edited by Happy Harpy

OK, I'm going to be a bad, bad person.  The article is dated late February, and we haven't hit upfronts yet.  Adam could have left to shoot the pilot, but pilot doesn't necessarily mean series order.  Chavez could return if the pilot isn't picked up.  (Plus, this is an ABC pilot, making it also not good for the long-shot chances of Forever's Dr. Henry Morgen.)  I'd prefer more Henry and more Chavez.

• Love 2

I noticed that TC's slattern of a SIL had that death head heroin in her purse at the very end when it was laying on the bar. Hope she uses it fast.

Ugh - this!  Couldn't stand the actress on NCIS either.  Good news is that the previews make it look like we'll be happy. 

When they were saying how the winner of some dumb kid game would get to ask her out, I was terrified that they were going to go THERE with her and TC. 

Since we had two episodes on consecutive days, both episodes have sort of become one segment in my head. I may have this in the wrong episode thread.  If so, my apologies.

There was a scene where Jordan and Gwen were discussing TC.  Jordan's telling Gwen that TC has changed.  Gwen says something like "I'm not here to care about TC.  I'm here to care about you...to support you."  Then Gwen and Jordan lock arms and kind of swing around.  I remember thinking that it seemed more than friendly on Gwen's part...kinda intimate actually.  I'm wondering if Gwen isn't just not on the TC bandwagon out of friendship, but instead hoping for something more with Jordan?

Then again, I could also be very wrong.

Edited by Ohmo

OK, I'm going to be a bad, bad person.  The article is dated late February, and we haven't hit upfronts yet.  Adam could have left to shoot the pilot, but pilot doesn't necessarily mean series order.  Chavez could return if the pilot isn't picked up.  (Plus, this is an ABC pilot, making it also not good for the long-shot chances of Forever's Dr. Henry Morgen.)  I'd prefer more Henry and more Chavez.

Same for me, but only if the Night Shift is renewed. Otherwhise I hope that the pilot works out so that A.Rodriguez has work.

Edited by Happy Harpy

Same for me, but only if the Night Shift is renewed. Otherwhise I hope that the pilot works out so that A.Rodriguez has work.

The ratings seem strong.  I'd be surprised if NBC didn't renew it.  I think the question will become will it continue to have a smallish episode order?  First season was 8 episodes, and the second has 14, I believe.  i'd be fine with another 14-episode third season.  It seems to work for the series.