Type keyword(s) to search

Jon Stewart: The Future is a Blank Slate

I'm gonna guess, spend the year as a father to his two children. Then spend the summer touring North America as a stand up comedian, with new material he wrote himself, at select venues. If one of those dates is in Toronto, I'm so there!

• Love 1

I haven't watched too much of the Daily Show and so I wanted to ask - does it seem like sometimes Jon Stewart has a bit of "mansplaining" problem? I've noticed him doing that a bit with female guests and also with female interviewers when he was promoting Rosewater. In those cases the women he was talking to didn't seem to really follow what he was saying and so it made sense he had to explain it a bit for them. But what I'm wondering is, does he do this with male guests too if he feel like they're not following what he's saying? Because in the interviews I've seen with him and these women there's been a lot of "Do you understand what I'm saying?" and "Do you see what I mean" and it's been a little uncomfortable to watch.

Edited by wudpixie

I haven't watched too much of the Daily Show and so I wanted to ask - does it seem like sometimes Jon Stewart has a bit of "mansplaining" problem? I've noticed him doing that a bit with female guests and also with female interviewers when he was promoting Rosewater. In those cases the women he was talking to didn't seem to really follow what he was saying and so it made sense he had to explain it a bit for them. But what I'm wondering is, does he do this with male guests too if he feel like they're not following what he's saying? Because in the interviews I've seen with him and these women there's been a lot of "Do you understand what I'm saying?" and "Do you see what I mean" and it's been a little uncomfortable to watch.

He has a mansplaining problem in that he loves to really talk. I feel that he does that with everyone. You should watch when he debates politicians. He asks a question, then explains his question, and then says his POV - all before the other person can speak.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 2

I think that whatever Jon does next. It shouldn't have anything to do with interviewing people because he really isn't very good at it. That's why I was amazed to hear the rumor that they wanted him for Meet the Press. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended updating more writing and producing. I have to believe that there's one hell of a sitcom sitting in Jon's head just waiting to be put on the page. Something a la Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or Louie. Can you imagine the parade of guest stars who would walk through a sitcom written and/or produced by Jon?

The very first thing I see Jon doing, after spending enough quality time with his family, is go on the road to do his first love, stand up. I see him doing sell out dates at select cities as if he were a rock 'n roll band going on tour.

If Toronto ends up on one of his dates, I plan on moving heaven and earth to be there.

Hmm...bit of an odd topic, but I can divulge a little on that. I think researching/reporting on the nonsense of the political/media spectrum can take a toll on his psyche. He just seems like the guy who is so passionate about his beliefs and comedy that it just broke him down, and he needs that energy to spend his time with his kids. Perhaps that is why he is settling down back in New Jersey and running an animal rescue with his wife. He's been so engrossed with his job at the Daily Show that he needs to return his family's patience and support by devoting the rest of his life helping his loved ones. 

With that out of the way, you also raise another question(s) about the status of the Daily Show post-Jon Stewart. Before Trevor Noah's debut, will the show be on hiatus altogether? Will they have to reconstruct the entire set to suit Trevor's style or keep the Fake News Set? Why can't the 3 house correspondents rotate as host just like correspondents of years' past? Will Larry Wilmore take over the 11 PM slot and be our only source of satire until Trevor debuts? Does that also mean Chris Hardwick will have to awkwardly host @midnight at 11:30 AGAIN? Will the gap have the Daily Show still be Daily, Weekly, or at least Monthly after Jon retires?

Since Jon is only a year older than Colbert (52 vs. 51), the same age as former co-star Steve Carell, and 16 years younger than David Letterman, one imagines he's got a lot of gas left in the tank if he really wants to do something else.  I imagine his "retirement path" could wind up something like Jerry Seinfeld's (who pretty much does whatever the hell he wants, but nothing regular and ongoing other than irregular standup when he feels like it, and a web series perfectly tailored to barely affecting his actual life).

Maybe we need a new category for this show dealing with stuff J Stew is doing post TDS called "WTF J Stew??"  

I saw that he got body slammed - I repeat body slammed - at a WWE event. 

I know that he is a fan of the WWE but the man does not have a good constitution at all.  Milk is dangerous for him

The man states he would never do anything so off the path as going to Iceland, but he is ok with Cena tossing his body around a ring like a doll?

I came here as I didn't know where else I could post.

Wow, the show is really over now -- I had gotten used to seeing the reruns at 11:00 PM every night, and did not realize the reruns ended last Thursday.  Thanks again, Jon, and we will be watching for you! 

"The Daily Show" did really well at the Emmys tonight, winning Outstanding Variety Talk Series, Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series and Outstanding Directing for a Variety Series (the latter for the episode with Mumford & Sons, oddly enough). 

Elliot Kalan accepted the writers' award, but Jon (lookin' good with a neatly trimmed beard) did speak after they won the Outstanding Variety Talk Series, and said, among other things, "You will never have to see me again." Oh Jon, I hope you were joking!!!

From Entertainment Weekly:

“I’ve been off of television for six or seven weeks, this is the first applause I’ve heard,” Jon Stewart said while accepting the honor. He decried the lack of craft services in the real world, before thanking his Daily Show crew and Comedy Central.

“Thank you so very much,” Stewart said, “you will never have to see me again.”

A brief article about Tracey Stewart, which includes the info that... Jon is now a vegetarian!!!

“I know! It’s recent! It’s all happening!” Ms. Stewart said. “He’s nervous about saying it publicly, because he doesn’t want to mess up. But he really is trying to figure out what vegetarian foods he likes, and I’m helping him with that.

“I’ll say to him, ‘Oh, you’re my new, sexy vegetarian boyfriend. Do you want to go to the vegan restaurant for lunch?’ He’s like, ‘Yeah!’ ”

Remember how Jon badly wanted Donald Drumph to run for president just for the jokes he would provide? And how Jon felt some regrets about leaving TDS when Drumph finally did throw his hat into the ring? You have to wonder if he has massive regrets now that Drumph has become the Republican nominee?

12 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Remember how Jon badly wanted Donald Drumph to run for president just for the jokes he would provide? And how Jon felt some regrets about leaving TDS when Drumph finally did throw his hat into the ring? You have to wonder if he has massive regrets now that Drumph has become the Republican nominee?

If Jon wants to make jokes about the election, he has the opportunity to do so, according to this article:

At a Paley Center event, HBO CEO Richard Plepler said that he was "hopeful" that Stewart would make his debut before the general election in November. "We now have the flexibility to let you paint however you want to,” Plepler said. “[Stewart] has free reign to do whatever he wants.” 

Jon Stewart Will Be Part of Stephen Colbert’s RNC Show

Pro tip for anyone who’s been bummed about the absence of Jon Stewart during this election cycle: Make sure to watch Monday’s edition of The Late Show With Stephen Colbert. The former host of The Daily Show will appear on Colbert’s CBS 11:35 p.m. program to help kick off two weeks of live editions timed to the Republican and Democratic National Conventions, Vulture has learned exclusively. Exactly what he’ll be doing Monday remains a mystery, at least to prying reporters. (A CBS rep declined to comment.) 

• Love 1

My contact at "Late Show" refused to confirm Jon's appearance, which I found strange -- I would bet that a lot of people (like me, for example) would be WAY more likely to tune in to Colbert if they knew for sure that Jon would be appearing. Luckily, I live on the West Coast so I'm sure I'll hear about it if Jon actually shows up.

Not that I didn't enjoy seeing Jon, and the return of Stephen Colbert, I was very disappointed that it was only for the intro. I would dearly love to watch Jon and Stephen play off each other while discussing the RNC and Trump.

• Love 1

Jon Stewart is set to join the HBO family with an animated comedy news show that will air both online and on the network. Here’s what [HBO Programming President Casey] Bloys had to say about Jon Stewart’s new project at HBO:

“I talked to Jon before this. I said, ‘How do you want me to describe this?’ It is animation. He is establishing an animation studio because he wants to get material out multiple times a day. The idea is it will be an animated parody of a cable news network, kind of an Onion-like portal. It will be very much Jon’s voice, both his actual voice and his tone. My hope is it will be up and running by September/October but it is a big endeavor he’s taken on. Hopefully by this fall.”

By Onion-like, Bloys means there will be a text component as well as video, and there will likely be a half hour program that airs on HBO. As for several times a day, wouldn’t animation make it more challenging to be topical? “The idea that Jon wants to do and why he wants to do animation is it allows him to comment in real time on what’s happening on the day’s events,” Bloys said. “It’ll be animation that allows him to respond to things very quickly. It’ll be more simple animation, but in terms of the technical details, I don’t know enough to tell you. It does allow him to respond very quickly to the day’s news.”

(edited)

I'm guessing they're using animation so Jon doesn't have to dress for the camera. And if they hired someone else to read his script, it wouldn't have his voice in the same way. I think with someone like Jon, it's not only his ideas, but also his familiar voice in the literal sense, that will draw people. I think animation is a good compromise.

I've been trying to cut my media costs, but I am going to have to get HBO if they keep being awesome like this. First Last Week Tonight, now this. Who's next??

Edited by possibilities
removed mysterious double post

In case you missed it, Jon was on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert a couple of nights ago, counselling the media on their relationship with Drumpf. There's even a 'Roll 212'!

• Love 5